PDA

View Full Version : Forty years ago

jimsumner
01-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Might be of interest.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205365073&DB_OEM_ID=4200

BluDvlsN1
01-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Thank you for a welcome trip down "memory lane" !
Some re runs just never get old!

gotoguy
01-22-2012, 12:10 PM
I enrolled at Duke the next fall. West had graduated and O'Connor transferred. I often heard upperclassmen talk of that game wistfully. Wish I had been there.

grit74
01-22-2012, 01:30 PM
I was there...sophomore year, we always sat behind the visitors' bench always, always got there early.

75Crazie
01-23-2012, 02:44 PM
I was there on the bench that day, as a student manager (in that day, freshmen student managers on the varsity team were a rarity, but I was somehow picked). To this day, I have no memory of the actual Robbie West shot -- but I DO remember Wuycik's final shot and the stunned feeling when it didn't go in. Little did I know at the time that it would be the highlight of my four years there (with Melchionni's game against the Maryland team of Elmore and McMillen a close second). Unfortunately, my most vivid memory of those four years were the two Carolina games in '75. Of course, that was abetted by the multitude of times Billy Packer would bring that 8-points-in-17-seconds game up for years and years afterward.

Actually, now that I remember it, I can go back and watch West's shot any time I want. The yearbook that year had one of those flip-the-pages series of still photos, so that you could fan the yearbook pages and see the whole shot. Just about the only thing that yearbook was good for.

75Crazie
01-23-2012, 03:03 PM
I... the two Carolina games in '75...

Oops, that should have said '74, not '75.