PDA

View Full Version : Polls for Jan. 23

feldspar
01-22-2012, 01:13 AM
Yes, I know it's a few days early, but I'm up late and bored and tomorrow the talk in the sports world will be all about the NFL, so here we are.

We're going to have quite a bit of shaking up in the top 5 this coming week, probably the most we've seen so far this season with #1, #3 and #4 going down on Saturday.

My guess is that Baylor and Syracuse of course will fall, but not that far, and out of the top 5, Duke's going to fall the farthest since we lost to an unranked opponent. Kansas will get a nice bump. Not really sure what to do with UNC, though. Wonder if Strickland's injury will affect the AP voters at all.

I'm also bumping Kansas ahead of the Buckeyes this week. Kansas hasn't lost since mid-December (although their opponents outside of Baylor haven't been super impressive). They're one of the hottest teams in the top 10 right now....

My guess:

#1 Kentucky
#2 Syracuse
#3 Missouri
#4 Baylor
#5 Kansas
#6 Ohio State
#7 Duke
#8 UNC
#9 Michigan State
#10 Georgetown

although it's quite possible with Murray State now the only undefeated team left in college bball, they could move past the Hoyas for the #10 spot as GTown barely pulled it out against Rutgers.

I'll be disappointed if FSU doesn't crack the top 25 after taking down us and UNC in back-to-back games, which will give us 4 ACC teams in the top 25. If we could just get NC State to put together a nice little streak and pull off a win against UNC next Thursday, we could maybe MAYBE be looking at 5 teams in a couple of weeks. It's a long shot...

1 24 90
01-22-2012, 01:28 PM
My guess for the coaches poll is as follows:

1 Kentucky
2 Syracuse
3 Missouri
4 Ohio State
5 Kansas
6 unc
7 Baylor
8 Duke
9 Murray St.
10 Michigan St.

Murray St. was #10 in this week's coaches poll but #12 in the AP.

I can see Kansas jumping to 4 over OSU based on their win over them and the impressive win over Baylor.

feldspar
01-22-2012, 07:13 PM
I just remembered Baylor has lost two in a row. So obviously I have them too high.

JNort
01-22-2012, 10:42 PM
1 Kentucky
2 Missou
3 Syracuse

1 24 90
01-23-2012, 01:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

Here's the new polls

CameronBornAndBred
01-23-2012, 01:21 PM
I'm amazed FSU is not ranked in the coaches poll. Yeah, they're right there looking in, but they just took down two top 10 teams in one week, one a crushing defeat at home and the other a painful defeat in Our House.

sagegrouse
01-23-2012, 01:26 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

Here's the new polls

I'm amazed FSU is not ranked in the coaches poll. Yeah, they're right there looking in, but they just took down two top 10 teams in one week, one a crushing defeat at home and the other a painful defeat in Our House.

Here are ACC team rankings:

Duke - 6 in Coaches, 8 in AP
UNC - 8 in Coaches, 7 in AP
UVa - 21 in Coaches, 19 in AP
FSU - UNR in Coaches, 23 in AP

No other ACC team received a single vote in either poll.

sagegrouse
'Also FWIW, Harvard - 23 in Coaches, UNR in AP'