PDA

View Full Version : 1) Where to park at Comcast Center? 2) Terpin'

Johnny D.
01-22-2012, 01:13 AM
We're going to the Duke-Maryland game on Wed 1/25. Aside from dealing with ignorant Terp fans and how to get out of Comcast Center with life and limb intact, my question for y'all is: where are we gonna park?

I checked it out tonight. Every lot within a mile is designated "permit only". The Comcast Center website provides a map, but all the lots seem to be reserved for Terrapin Club members.

Do we go to the free lots across campus and schlep our way to the arena? If there are Duke fans who went to Comcast and lived to tell about it, please sound off. Where do you park in College Park?

And feel free to share war stories about Terp fans. Get this: on Friday 1/20 Gary Williams was on SportsTalk 980 in D.C. And he was STILL WHINING ABOUT LONNY BAXTER'S FIFTH FOUL IN THE 2001 FINAL FOUR! The Terpin' never ends....

weezie
01-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Good luck. When we went a few years back there was a pretty good sized parking garage open to the public off the main interior campus road near maybe the Engineering/Sciences bldg (?) about a 15 minute walk from comcast but it was a treacherous walk back after the game. My 6'5" son tried shielding me, and I'm not a frail violet, but we were shoved around and had some cans thrown at us until he turned and started to advance on the perp-terps and they scattered yelping a few more expletives. Then the older age group terps began yawping and sneering as we kept trying to escape. It truly is a third world mentality up there in "Not Our Rival" Park.

Sadly, I'd advise you to take your Duke swag off before you leave comcast.

One more fun fact: the court is being named for Gary Williams on Wednesday night before the game so expect some extra spice.

LET'S GO DEVILS!

WeepingThomasHill
01-22-2012, 11:20 AM
I wonder if Bitter Gary will ask Baxter to take a break from bagging groceries to come back for the naming.

There are several garages within a 10-15 walk of Comcast, plus I believe you can park behind the football stadium or over near Cole. It is a bit of a hike, especially in the cold, but you are right that most of the parking next to the arena is for season ticket holders and the Terp Club.

In terms of being assaulted, I have been going to the Duke/MD game for years, and other than someone throwing M&Ms at me and the occasional expletive thrown my way in the concourse, it has been fine both during the game and in the hike back to the car. I have not seen anyone physically touched or bottles tossed. I know the stories about Boozer's mom, but folks should feel safe and we should walk out with a good win. Juan Dixon is not walking through that door on Wednesday night.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Juan Dixon is not walking through that door on Wednesday night.
Even if he does, and he might be there to honor Gary on his court naming game, he's not going to play! :cool:

devildeac
01-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Even if he does, and he might be there to honor Gary on his court naming game, he's not going to play! :cool:

And, if he does play, we are gonna suit up Coach Badass. And Jason Williams. I heard he's ready and could probably change into a Duke uni in 54 seconds or so;).

Johnny D.
01-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Juan Dixon is not walking through that door on Wednesday night.

Thanks for the advice. We'll be icognito by leaving our Duke gear at home, and by keeping our mouths shut.
And thanks for the laugh: I loved the Pitino reference. Juan Dixon, John Lucas, and Buck Williams are not walking through that door.

-bdbd
01-22-2012, 12:12 PM
We'll be there too, JohnnyD. I've been to a few at Comcast in the last 5 years and I would definitely recommend not wearing Duke clothes. I've seen a few fights, many of them Md-v-MD fans. I've never been directly assaulted - just a few insults by other pedestrians. It helps that I'm pretty big too, as is my Bro-in-Law.

I've actually been pretty lucky finding street parking. Don't expect anything within 10 minutes, but if you're ok to walk 15-20 min, then just look for a line of cars parking along some of the main drags... and go well early. Given their mediocre play this year, and poor attendance, if this game goes how I hope, maybe we'll see you there... Terp fans aren't known for great sticking-around powers if it gets out of hand. :rolleyes: I was shocked how many seats were being offered on-line last week (yahoo, stub hub, etc.). We got 4 tix upper level, FT line extended, for $50 each.

It is very cold in DC this week, especially at 11:30 at night; so a riot seems unlikely too. ;)

zack2014
01-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Good luck to everyone going to the game. I'll be there in the student section. I also would recommend that you don't wear any duke swag. I have seen fans in duke gear removed from the student section by the police several times (that is probably best for them anyway). As for parking, I think you can pay to park in the Regents Drive parking garage and walk about 10 minutes to Comcast or park in Lot 1 for free and take bus/shuttle ride to Comcast. If anyone has any questions that I might be able to answer, let me know.

Edit: I just saw that BDBD said that a riot is unlikely. The game is the first day of classes so I would expect a rowdier than normal crowd. From what I have been hearing, many students will be more drunk thank usual at the game. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if a riot were to occur. Fortunately, the number of students willing to riot decreases pretty significantly after a loss.

devildeac
01-22-2012, 01:58 PM
We'll be there too, JohnnyD. I've been to a few at Comcast in the last 5 years and I would definitely recommend not wearing Duke clothes. I've seen a few fights, many of them Md-v-MD fans. I've never been directly assaulted - just a few insults by other pedestrians. It helps that I'm pretty big too, as is my Bro-in-Law.

I've actually been pretty lucky finding street parking. Don't expect anything within 10 minutes, but if you're ok to walk 15-20 min, then just look for a line of cars parking along some of the main drags... and go well early. Given their mediocre play this year, and poor attendance, if this game goes how I hope, maybe we'll see you there... Terp fans aren't known for great sticking-around powers if it gets out of hand. :rolleyes: I was shocked how many seats were being offered on-line last week (yahoo, stub hub, etc.). We got 4 tix upper level, FT line extended, for $50 each.

It is very cold in DC this week, especially at 11:30 at night; so a riot seems unlikely too. ;)

Yea, but if they burn a few Comcast cables, tip over and ignite some vehicles, it will warm up the surroundings.

devildeac
01-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Good luck to everyone going to the game. I'll be there in the student section. I also would recommend that you don't wear any duke swag. I have seen fans in duke gear removed from the student section by the police several times (that is probably best for them anyway). As for parking, I think you can pay to park in the Regents Drive parking garage and walk about 10 minutes to Comcast or park in Lot 1 for free and take bus/shuttle ride to Comcast. If anyone has any questions that I might be able to answer, let me know.

Edit: I just saw that BDBD said that a riot is unlikely. The game is the first day of classes so I would expect a rowdier than normal crowd. From what I have been hearing, many students will be more drunk thank usual at the game. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if a riot were to occur. Fortunately, the number of students willing to riot decreases pretty significantly after a loss.

I thought one of the twerp wackos was quoted one time stating they rioted whether they won or lost.:rolleyes:

zack2014
01-22-2012, 02:04 PM
I thought one of the twerp wackos was quoted one time stating they rioted whether they won or lost.:rolleyes:

Haha they do say that...but its a lie

Bluedevil114
01-22-2012, 02:11 PM

I go to this game every year with my Duke swag on. There is usually no problems. There were only two occassions I felt a little uncomfortable. One was the gone in 60 seconds game when students began throwing bottles towards the Duke bench and the other was a game where JJ went off and at the end of the game the students started chanting FU JJ when he was on the line and of course I had my Redick jersey on. I have even sat in the student section with Duke swag on and there is the occasstional jab but for the most part it is fine. Always support your team no matter where you are at. Go Duke!!

Dev11
01-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Truly, a delight if you want to know what it was like going to gladiator fights at the Roman Colosseum.

Seriously, though, I've been to this game a few times, and a few memories stick out. One was being shoved into a wall by an acquaintance, and the other is having a box of popcorn thrown at me. I was also once accused of studying to be a doctor or a lawyer. The indignity of it all!

Granted, this is what I get for walking around that dump in a Laettner jersey. My best advice is not to provoke them. I find that if you don't provoke, the worst that happens is you get a few (re: countless) homophobic slurs thrown your way.

As for parking, good luck. It sucks. Perhaps you can find a parking pass on StubHub? Have fun at the game!

-jk
01-22-2012, 11:48 PM
I've been to a bunch of games in college park. I've never actually been accosted, but have frequently been nervous - worried a fan might lose it.

I can say, that my new neighbor, Kevin, seems genuinely concerned with fan behavior, and he's trying to change the culture.

I wish him well!

-jk

-bdbd
01-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Since I don't yet see a Duke-MD pregame thread, let me post this here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/post/marylands-len-expected-to-play-against-duke-effectiveness-unclear-after-twisting-ankle/2012/01/23/gIQAUBGTLQ_blog.html

MD 7'1" Center Alex Len, late signee from the Ukraine, who sat out about ten games due to an NCAA ruling re. his prior play overseas, just injured his ankle against Temple last week and only played 7 minutes. Turgeon just confirmed that he WILL play vs. Duke, but they still don't know how much. Doesn't sound like he's 100%. That should help us as the turtles are thin and don't have muchg size even with Len. Looking for a good game from our bigs, MP1 and MP2.

They also mention that fans are encouraged to arrive early b/c the court will be named in honor of Gary Williams at 8:40PM.

hurleyfor3
01-23-2012, 07:33 PM
One more fun fact: the court is being named for Gary Williams on Wednesday night before the game so expect some extra spice.

Can we expect the court to be especially slippery from now on? Will Gary Williams Court be lined with extra towel boys?

Duvall
01-23-2012, 07:34 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/post/marylands-len-expected-to-play-against-duke-effectiveness-unclear-after-twisting-ankle/2012/01/23/gIQAUBGTLQ_blog.html

MD 7'1" Center Alex Len, late signee from the Ukraine, who sat out about ten games due to an NCAA ruling re. his prior play overseas, just injured his ankle against Temple last week and only played 7 minutes. Turgeon just confirmed that he WILL play vs. Duke, but they still don't know how much. Doesn't sound like he's 100%. That should help us as the turtles are thin and don't have muchg size even with Len. Looking for a good game from our bigs, MP1 and MP2.

Turgeon is a Roy Williams protege, so I imagine this means that Len is in the best health of his life.

-bdbd
01-24-2012, 01:09 PM

They also mention that fans are encouraged to arrive early b/c the court will be named in honor of Gary Williams at 8:40PM.

Last night MD held a reception in anticipation of the Gary Williams court-naming event on Wed. at Comcast. Apparently one of the highlights was Coach K classily toasting his good friend Gary via video. Some interesting photos at the bottom, including a new logo on the exterior of the building (featuring a fist-pumping Gary Williams in silouette).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/coach-k-roy-williams-toast-gary-williams/2012/01/24/gIQANyVPNQ_blog.html?wpisrc=nl_sports