PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 80, Maryland 72

wandalee
01-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Big game for the women tomorrrow vs Maryland. Game time is 3:30 and it will be shown on ESPNU.

Athletics has several promos going on to try to get a good crowd there:

Family Four Pack! Enjoy a day of basketball and fun with your family! For only $30, you receive 4 game tickets, 4 hot dogs, and 4 sodas.

Blue Duke Women's Basketball Wristbands will be given away to the first 1,000 fans in attendance!

Post-Game Autographs! Sophomore Haley Peters, Junior Allison Vernerey and Senior Kathleen Scheer will sign autographs for fans! The autograph signing will take place in the Hall of Fame at the conclusion of the game.

Also, Duke staff and faculity can buy tickets for $3.

CameronBornAndBred
01-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Big game for the women tomorrrow vs Maryland. Game time is 3:30 and it will be shown on ESPNU.

Athletics has several promos going on to try to get a good crowd there:

Family Four Pack! Enjoy a day of basketball and fun with your family! For only $30, you receive 4 game tickets, 4 hot dogs, and 4 sodas.

Blue Duke Women's Basketball Wristbands will be given away to the first 1,000 fans in attendance!

Post-Game Autographs! Sophomore Haley Peters, Junior Allison Vernerey and Senior Kathleen Scheer will sign autographs for fans! The autograph signing will take place in the Hall of Fame at the conclusion of the game.

Also, Duke staff and faculity can buy tickets for $3.
Any links for the promos?

wandalee
01-21-2012, 07:28 PM
http://www1.nmnathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205315382

Yeah, check out the Duke Women's Fan Zone page here

CameronBornAndBred
01-21-2012, 08:20 PM
http://www1.nmnathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205315382

Yeah, check out the Duke Women's Fan Zone page here
Thanks, I'll be watching on TV but a friend is going and couldn't find the link. This should be a great game, and the best test the women will have had from an "elite" team. GO DUKE!!

jimsumner
01-22-2012, 12:02 PM
Duke had sold about 6K tickets as of Friday around noon. So, it should be a good crowd.

burnspbesq
01-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Duke by one at the half. Turtles on a 10-0 run (six points, four uncalled fouls) to close the half.

chrishoke
01-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Sensational game. Duke 63-57 with 8 to go. Everyone playing well.

Lid
01-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Great game. Huge, nearly silent crowd.

Haley is on fire.

Ggallagher
01-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Great game. Gray was just totally cold blooded on that three point shot with about two minutes left. And she never let up on the Terps.

burnspbesq
01-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Duke 80, Maryland 72. That was a big-girls' game, and we won the physical aspects.

Huge contributions from Richa, Haley and AV.

That video will give Luigi some things to think about.

Kedsy
01-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Heckuva game. Really enjoyable to watch.

burnspbesq
01-22-2012, 06:23 PM
16 assists, nine turnovers.

Where has that been all year?

wandalee
01-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Great game by everyone. Coach P's switch to the zone in the 2nd half made a big difference - it kept Md from getting so many easy layups.

Good attendance, probably the best this year. It was quite most of the game, but got loud in the last few minutes.

CameronBornAndBred
01-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Duke has now won 10 in a row, and with this win has cemented their deserved standing in the upper echelon of women's basketball. We find out soon enough how upper that really is when UCONN comes calling.
(Haley Peters rocks.)

uh_no
01-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Duke has now won 10 in a row, and with this win has cemented their deserved standing in the upper echelon of women's basketball. We find out soon enough how upper that really is when UCONN comes calling.
(Haley Peters rocks.)

As I've said a couple times on here, duke has the tools to give uconn a much better run for their money than they have the past few times, given, with overexcited play and a weak gameplan, this could turn into a stinker. Uconn is without maya moore, and have already lost twice this year (the loss to ND was their second to ND in a row).

They're very small, and the question will be whether duke can exploit that weakness without getting blow away by uconn's quickness/cuts etc on offense.

ANYWAY.

good win today.

jimsumner
01-22-2012, 07:14 PM
This was a very, very good game. The two teams combined for only 19 turnovers and were 15-15 from the line.

Quite physical, with lots of unblown whistles. The prohibition against moving screens appears to have been suspended for this game. Kizer had a couple that you would not believe.

Maryland came into the game leading the NCAA in rebounding differential. Duke outrebounded the Terps 41-30, without any individual having more than eight. Everybody went to the boards. Hard. Peters burst out of a slump with a career-high 21 points (10-12 shooting),, while Gray had a double-double.

In a way, I think losing Wells has helped Chelsea. There's no doubt that she's in charge when she's out there. It's her team. And remember, she's only a sophomore. And freshman Elizabeth Williams outplayed senior Lynette Kizer inside and Kizer was on all the pre-season watch lists.

The highlight of the post-game was Freese claiming that Maryland was in "serious" foul trouble in the first half. Maryland had four fouls at the half, one player with two, two others with one. Passive-aggression 101.

GLTBD
01-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Great game. Huge, nearly silent crowd.

Haley is on fire.

Today was my first women's game of the year and I thought the crowd was loud at least in my section. The Maryland fans were loud and animated. I can't image what it will be like Wednesday at the Comcast Center when the men play. This was a great game especially after the result of yesterdays game. Go Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
01-22-2012, 07:34 PM
As I've said a couple times on here, duke has the tools to give uconn a much better run for their money than they have the past few times, given, with overexcited play and a weak gameplan, this could turn into a stinker. Uconn is without maya moore, and have already lost twice this year (the loss to ND was their second to ND in a row).

They're very small, and the question will be whether duke can exploit that weakness without getting blow away by uconn's quickness/cuts etc on offense.

ANYWAY.

good win today.
Speaking of ND..we played them very well early in the season, losing only by 2.

Jim3k
01-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Quite physical, with lots of unblown whistles. The prohibition against moving screens appears to have been suspended for this game. Kizer had a couple that you would not believe.

From my TV perspective, MD was regularly plowing through the Duke women just to get to the ball. Until that game, I had thought it was a foul to run over an opponent or push them out of the way or to hack opponents on layup attempts.

Guess I have a lot to re-learn.

uh_no
01-22-2012, 07:47 PM

and duke also beat texas a&m last year, who went on to win the title, and still lost to uconn by 30+

its all about matchups....again, duke's got a good team. they had a good team last year. we'll see what happens

-bdbd
01-22-2012, 09:31 PM
and duke also beat texas a&m last year, who went on to win the title, and still lost to uconn by 30+

its all about matchups....again, duke's got a good team. they had a good team last year. we'll see what happens

Different year, different players, different teams. If anything, I would argue that U-con's running up the score in that one - the starters all in with 2 minutes left and up 30 at home - gives Duke plenty of motivation. If Duke runs away with it, I sure hope they return the favor.

By the communicative property of basketball, given the common opponent results, Duke will clearly win...

:rolleyes:

Way to go DWBB vs the turtles. Always fun to beat a non-rival...

Dev11
01-22-2012, 09:43 PM
The Director of Operations for the Maryland Women's team is Chris Campbell, Duke '96. Not sure if he was affiliated with the basketball program when he was an undergrad. Very nice guy, hopefully he gets a shot to be a part of the program at his alma mater one day.

DukeGirl4ever
01-23-2012, 10:04 AM
I have a few questions for the posters on here since it is somewhat hard to follow the women's team from where I live in PA.

Yesterday was the first time they were on TV in my area (didn't get to watch it, though, due to football), and I'm kind of disappointed I can't follow them more closely. I like Coach P.

Anyway, I checked the box score and saw that Selby is back in the rotation. When did this occur? I'm assuming the suspension has been resolved?

Also, I saw that Coach P only played 8 players last night? Is that normal for this year? I remember she used a lot of players in the rotation last year.
I know there are some injuries this year, so I know that affects the rotation.

devildeac
01-23-2012, 10:18 AM
I have a few questions for the posters on here since it is somewhat hard to follow the women's team from where I live in PA.

Yesterday was the first time they were on TV in my area (didn't get to watch it, though, due to football), and I'm kind of disappointed I can't follow them more closely. I like Coach P.

Anyway, I checked the box score and saw that Selby is back in the rotation. When did this occur? I'm assuming the suspension has been resolved?

Also, I saw that Coach P only played 8 players last night? Is that normal for this year? I remember she used a lot of players in the rotation last year.
I know there are some injuries this year, so I know that affects the rotation.

Henson is out for the year with a knee (?) injury and, IIRC, Wells was suspended for academic reasons (or was it "violation of team rules"?) about the time another player was re-instated in December.

CameronBornAndBred
01-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Wells was suspended for academic reasons (or was it "violation of team rules"?) about the time another player was re-instated in December.
More like on the same day. :rolleyes:

Coach P is usually very liberal with her bench (it's one of the things I love about her), so looking at the box score is appears the ones who didn't play are injured and freshmen, including Jenna Frush who I believe is a walkon. (From Durham and a Duke fan before Duke :D )
I thought it was interesting that Kathleen Scheer only got 2 minutes, I haven't been able to see any games this year to see why she wouldn't be earning more floor time in a close game.

Kedsy
01-23-2012, 12:06 PM

As others have alluded, we only have 9 non-injured, non-suspended, scholarship players right now (and that's probably all we'll have for the rest of the season). So playing 8 is almost as many as we could have played.

Duvall
01-23-2012, 12:21 PM

I'm not sure that Duke's performance in that game should be described as playing well. Then again, I'm not sure how you *should* describe it. Weird game.

jimsumner
01-23-2012, 12:24 PM
As others have alluded, we only have 9 non-injured, non-suspended, scholarship players right now (and that's probably all we'll have for the rest of the season). So playing 8 is almost as many as we could have played.

That's definitely all that Duke will have for the rest of the season. Wells isn't even in school and it's highly unlikely Duke will pick up anyone on waivers.
Wells' Duke future, btw, is not in the hands of the basketball progam. About all I've been able to get is "we'll trust the process."

The Clemson game this Friday should be a good time to get some PT for freshman guard Ka'lia Johnson. She's got potential and has played 80 minutes this season. But even with Wells out, she's fourth in the guard rotation and is going to have a hard time getting quality PT against the better ACC teams this season.

Jenna Frush is indeed a walk-on. Northern Durham High School. She's a victory cigar, a fan favorite. But not an ACC-caliber player.

I'm told that Henson's surgery went well and Duke expects her to be able to resume basketball-related activities this summer. She was a top-15 prepster and should be eligible for a medical redshirt, giving her four more years.

burnspbesq
01-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Next up: the trap game to end all trap games, at Clemson on Friday.

Would be nice to blow it open early and get some minutes for Kathleen, Ka'lia, and Jenna. Would also like to see us work more on high-low sets. AV and EWill may never get the level of instinctive communication going that Mistie and Ali B had, but they surely won't if they're not on the floor together. And I LOVE what AV does at the point of the 1-2-2 matchup zone. Her length forces teams to go 3-5 feet beyond the arc to reverse the ball, and completely takes away the top of the key.

DukeGirl4ever
01-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies.
Kedsy, I just went to goduke.com to check the roster to see the number of girls on roster. 12 total to start the season and now we're down to 9. Seems like Peters, Williams, and Gray are stepping up.

roywhite
01-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Kedsy, I just went to goduke.com to check the roster to see the number of girls on roster. 12 total to start the season and now we're down to 9. Seems like Peters, Williams, and Gray are stepping up.

Just my .02, but I think a shorter rotation has helped this team. Roles are better defined; the offense seems to work better, and fewer turnovers. Chelsea Gray in particular has taken her game to another level.

MChambers
01-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Just my .02, but I think a shorter rotation has helped this team. Roles are better defined; the offense seems to work better, and fewer turnovers. Chelsea Gray in particular has taken her game to another level.
Maybe that Coach K guy knows what he's doing when he shortens the rotation in February and March?

jimsumner
01-23-2012, 01:02 PM

Duke has 10 players, counting Frush. They've lost two since the beginning of the season, Henson following knee surgery and Wells, following suspension.

Duke earlier lost three players who would otherwise be eligible to play this season; Chelsea Hopkins, Janee Johnson and Alexis Rogers.

Rogers is at Bowling Green and is playing quite well, albeit at a lower level of competition than the ACC. I actually think Rogers could help this team, in a reserve role.

Hopkins is at San Diego State.

Johnson never recovered from knee surgery.

Women are allowed 15 scholarship players, so it is a bit unusual to be in this situation. Then again, no one actually plays 15, so if you recruit to that level, you are going to have attrition issues.

Nine recruited players should be more than enough. Any more losses could be bothersome, however.

Lid
01-23-2012, 02:14 PM
More like on the same day. :rolleyes:
I thought it was interesting that Kathleen Scheer only got 2 minutes, I haven't been able to see any games this year to see why she wouldn't be earning more floor time in a close game.

I'm not sure about the answer to this. She's come in and played well at times this year as a reserve, so I'm not sure if match-ups yesterday dictated her smaller role, or if there was some other consideration. I was curious as well.

jimsumner
01-23-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm not sure about the answer to this. She's come in and played well at times this year as a reserve, so I'm not sure if match-ups yesterday dictated her smaller role, or if there was some other consideration. I was curious as well.

Scheer didn't look all that comfortable in her brief stint. Meanwhile, Vernerey was very effective off the bench. It made sense to go with Williams, Peters and Vernerey in the 4/5 rotation.

Maryland is not a good matchup for Scheer. Their athleticism makes it hard for her to get any kind of good look on offense.

-bdbd
01-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Not sure where to put this, but thought it really interesting that the (now no. 2) Notre Dame women's squad that barely survived Duke by 2 on an odd end of game sequence just 8 weeks ago in the Bahamas ...just yesterday beat number 7 Tenn. by 28 (!). Probably says something really nice about Duke WBB though.

BTW, kudos to the ND fans for the nice ovation for Pat Summit, given her health situation.

http://sports.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/wcbk/recap.asp?lg=WCBK&g=201201230423&ref=rec&tm=&src=&sct=hp_t2_a20&eref=sihp

CameronBornAndBred
01-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Not sure where to put this, but thought it really interesting that the (now no. 2) Notre Dame women's squad that barely survived Duke by 2 on an odd end of game sequence just 8 weeks ago in the Bahamas ...just yesterday beat number 7 Tenn. by 28 (!). Probably says something really nice about Duke WBB though.

BTW, kudos to the ND fans for the nice ovation for Pat Summit, given her health situation.

http://sports.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/wcbk/recap.asp?lg=WCBK&g=201201230423&ref=rec&tm=&src=&sct=hp_t2_a20&eref=sihp
Further hijacking this thread, there is a three way tie for 9th in the Coaches poll. I'm not sure I've ever seen that many tied up for one spot. (Tennessee is one of them.)
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings