PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Florida State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Bob Green
01-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Tip-off is tomorrow at 4:05 pm. Here are links to the game notes and full game notes at GoDuke.com"

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205365407&DB_OEM_ID=4200

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/818450.pdf?ATCLID=205365407&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

TV coverage is on ESPN with Mike Patrick and Len Elmore. The Vegas line has Duke favored by 10.5 points with the over under set at 143 so we should be looking for a score in the neighborhood of 77-66.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/

weezie
01-20-2012, 07:53 PM
I dunno about the rest of you but this game has me pretty nervous.

MCFinARL
01-20-2012, 07:58 PM

Me too. Florida State has really put it together recently.

Newton_14
01-20-2012, 08:07 PM

Me and you both. I am fully expecting a very tough game. FSU has great size and length. Their defense is going to give us trouble. We cannot get jump-shot happy and ignore the big fella's inside. On defense, we have to defend the 3-Point line well on the perimeter, and avoid foul trouble with the Plum's and Kelly. We should be able to exploit the match-up with Dulkys though. Andre can shoot over him, and Austin can explode by him.

We need a strong ball-handling game to avoid giving FSU runouts and easy buckets. The last two games aside, FSU can still struggle to put the ball in the hole. We need to force them to take tough shots, then rebound well to keep them off the offensive glass.

FSU under Hamilton has played Duke really tough, even in Cameron, so I expect a game much like the UVA game that goes down to the wire.

roywhite
01-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Reminds me so much of an NCAA Tournament first weekend....

Let's say Duke is a #2 seed
They play a #15 seed first on Thursday evening....Wake is about as good as a lower small conference rep
Duke wins by a good margin, subsitutes liberally in 2nd half, and the game gets sloppy

Now comes a tough #7 seed on Saturday afternoon
FSU seems about like a tough #7.....some losses sprinkled in with some impressive wins
Long, physical team; streaky shooters, not a great overall backcourt

To win a game like this, Duke has to play smart, use it's depth, and shoot reasonably well.
Can't let the Seminoles control the boards, have to defend Dulkys

Quick turnaround from Thursday night just like the NCAA tourny....just a guess but I'll say Coach K has pointed out the parallels to the team :)

jv001
01-20-2012, 10:22 PM
The Noles have been playing tough physical defense for years and tomorrow will be no exception. I want to see our guys give that style back to them. Don't let them out tough us. Get in their face and play the best defense we've played year to date. If we hold down their 3 point makes, we should be fine. But it they hit the 3s like they did against the heels, we'll be in trouble. GoDuke!

devildeac
01-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Tip-off is tomorrow at 4:05 pm. Here are links to the game notes and full game notes at GoDuke.com"

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205365407&DB_OEM_ID=4200

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/818450.pdf?ATCLID=205365407&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

TV coverage is on ESPN with Mike Patrick and Len Elmore. The Vegas line has Duke favored by 10.5 points with the over under set at 143 so we should be looking for a score in the neighborhood of 77-66.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/

Hard to believe we are a double digit favorite. I'd be surprised with scores in that range. Bob migh lose another case of beer if he bets on this one;):rolleyes:. I can't believe weezie is nervous though. After all, she is meeting us for lunch at Tyler's and should be quite relaxed after a couple high ABV drafts;):o.

Greg_Newton
01-21-2012, 12:28 AM
I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see Duke get beaten, or to see Duke absolutely handle FSU. FSU is so hot-and-cold this year (especially on the road), and with this offense-vs-defense matchup, something has to give. I also think that, with all the talk about the atmosphere lately, the place will be electric for a huge game on an early Saturday evening.

IMO, a huge key will be the rebounding from the teams' respective 1-3 spots. Ours has been a major liability, and theirs has been a major strength. I think the Mason will hold his own against James, but how will our guards deal with the length, physicality and athleticism of FSU's perimeter players?

Greg_Newton
01-21-2012, 12:55 AM
^Too late to edit, but here's what will be matching up tomorrow, in adjusted ratings:

Duke's #3 offense vs. FSU's #5 defense.

and...

FSU's #115 offense vs. Duke's #60 defense.

It'll be interesting to see which one gives.

jv001
01-21-2012, 08:14 AM
I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see Duke get beaten, or to see Duke absolutely handle FSU. FSU is so hot-and-cold this year (especially on the road), and with this offense-vs-defense matchup, something has to give. I also think that, with all the talk about the atmosphere lately, the place will be electric for a huge game on an early Saturday evening.

IMO, a huge key will be the rebounding from the teams' respective 1-3 spots. Ours has been a major liability, and theirs has been a major strength. I think the Mason will hold his own against James, but how will our guards deal with the length, physicality and athleticism of FSU's perimeter players?

This will be key to our success. I expect Miles, Mason, Ryan and Josh to play tough against FSU's bigs. But not so sure how our guards will do against the taller FSU guards. Since I don't think we can out-quick them, we'll need to play under control. I look for Duke to get the Noles in foul trouble and that could decide the outcome. GoDuke!

Saratoga2
01-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Me and you both. I am fully expecting a very tough game. FSU has great size and length. Their defense is going to give us trouble. We cannot get jump-shot happy and ignore the big fella's inside. On defense, we have to defend the 3-Point line well on the perimeter, and avoid foul trouble with the Plum's and Kelly. We should be able to exploit the match-up with Dulkys though. Andre can shoot over him, and Austin can explode by him.

We need a strong ball-handling game to avoid giving FSU runouts and easy buckets. The last two games aside, FSU can still struggle to put the ball in the hole. We need to force them to take tough shots, then rebound well to keep them off the offensive glass.

FSU under Hamilton has played Duke really tough, even in Cameron, so I expect a game much like the UVA game that goes down to the wire.

I thought he was listed as 6'5". I wonder how Andre is supposed to shoot over him.

Saratoga2
01-21-2012, 09:12 AM
One key we might have is the ability of Austin to get by his first line defender and either get a mid range shot off or pass to an open shooter. I doubt if they can contain Austin one on one.

The same may be siad for Quinn, if he is healthy enough to play. Also, we may be able to run on this team with our speed and depth but we need either Tyler or Quinn to push the ball hard and get to the basket before they can set up defense.

While Andre is confidently hitting his shots, this will be a test for him. He did move more without the ball, but showed no dribble penetration or fakes to draw defenders off their feet with a sidestep move like Scheyer was so good at. So Andre is still looking one dimensional and needs screens and movement to get his shot off. We shall see on him.

Ryan may also hold a key offensively, since he may be able to take him man away from the basket.

Seth is cute with his moves and could be tough for them to defend without fouling.

I don't look for much out of the Plumlees from a scoring perspective, but we will need them to play tough defense and rebounding. Kelly will also need to put his rebounding shoes on.

I expect this to be a very physical game with an emphasis put on defense by both teams. We can't let Dulkys make threes or it will be curtains.

Bob Green
01-21-2012, 09:23 AM
We must take care of the ball today as Florida State is #1 in the ACC in Steals and Blocked Shots. They average 8.8 and 6.6 per game respectively. On defense, we must keep Florida State off the offensive glass. The Seminoles are #2 in the ACC in Offensive Rebound Percentage (.392):

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2011-2012/confldrs.html

I'm expecting a close game, which could come down to who has a better day at the free throw line.

superdave
01-21-2012, 09:29 AM
You all have me nervous after reading this thread. I suppose I should be.

I think our defense needs to show up for 40 minutes otherwise FSU will beat us on intensity and it will snowball with us getting sloppier and them getting loose balls and hustle plays. If we come out with the requisite intensity we'll be alright. If not, watch out.

mike88
01-21-2012, 09:33 AM
With Ian Miller back in the line-up, FSU is hitting on all cylinders right now. This may be the most talented team we have seen in Cameron in the past couple of years, and I expect a very tough fight. FSU will turn the ball over, and we will need to convert some of those turnovers into transition points, b/c the offense is not going to come very easy for us. Miles, Mason, and Ryan are going to have to bring their best games, especially on the boards, and we are going to need to hit our 3 point shots to win today.

This game reminds me of some of the battles we had in the late 80's - let's hope the crowd rises to the occasion and helps us bring home another key ACC win.

moonpie23
01-21-2012, 10:02 AM
didn't clemson kill these guys?

we need to play hard nosed BB for 40 min...

the crowd needs to be NUTS!!! I'm LOOKIN AT YOU CRAZIES!!!!!!

dukepsy1963
01-21-2012, 10:17 AM
NEVER forget the Crazies.

Go Crazies!

superdave
01-21-2012, 10:27 AM
The Crazies should sing the Air Force fight song to him during warmups! "Off we go into the wild blue yonder (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C95Cb2ByHNA)!"

NSDukeFan
01-21-2012, 10:32 AM
With Ian Miller back in the line-up, FSU is hitting on all cylinders right now. This may be the most talented team we have seen in Cameron in the past couple of years, and I expect a very tough fight. FSU will turn the ball over, and we will need to convert some of those turnovers into transition points, b/c the offense is not going to come very easy for us. Miles, Mason, and Ryan are going to have to bring their best games, especially on the boards, and we are going to need to hit our 3 point shots to win today.

This game reminds me of some of the battles we had in the late 80's - let's hope the crowd rises to the occasion and helps us bring home another key ACC win.

I agree that this should be a tough game and I would love for Duke to win by 12 as the betting line states. I think it will be closer, but by no means is this anywhere near the most talented team in Cameron the past couple of years. This team is nowhere near being ranked, though a win in Cameron might change that. Duke has already played one ranked team in Cameron this year, played 3 last year, including a UNC team with multiple first round picks on the roster. I highly doubt this is the most talented team to come to Cameron the past couple of years, though they may be the first to come out of Cameron with a victory in quite awhile. I hope Duke plays a great game and the home win streak continues.

Kedsy
01-21-2012, 11:00 AM
This may be the most talented team we have seen in Cameron in the past couple of years, and I expect a very tough fight.

Are you saying this Florida State team is more talented than last year's UNC team? I like it. But I agree with NSDukeFan that it isn't true.

I think the Mason will hold his own against James, but how will our guards deal with the length, physicality and athleticism of FSU's perimeter players?

I agree that this is the key. Temple's big perimeter gave us fits. Ohio State's big perimeter dominated us. The problem is Andre and Seth can't shoot over these guys. They'll have to lose them with a lot of movement off the ball. I also agree with Saratoga2 that Austin will be a key matchup advantage for us. Florida State should have problems containing him one-on-one. I hope he kicks out some, though, rather than taking it one-on-three near the rim every time. Some games he looks to pass more and some less.

Combining Florida State's perimeter size and Quinn's indisposition, I suspect we'll see a lot of the Seth/Austin/Andre lineup today. Maybe even as a starting lineup.

mike88
01-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Are you saying this Florida State team is more talented than last year's UNC team? I like it. But I agree with NSDukeFan that it isn't true.

If you focus on offense, yes, last year's Carolina team was more talented, but when you consider defense, I am not sure. Moreover, this FSU team is experienced, and I don't think they are as likely as last year's UNC team to get rattled by our pressure or the crowd. I hope I am wrong, but I expect this to be as tough a game as we see at Cameron this year.

Kedsy
01-21-2012, 11:36 AM
If you focus on offense, yes, last year's Carolina team was more talented, but when you consider defense, I am not sure. Moreover, this FSU team is experienced, and I don't think they are as likely as last year's UNC team to get rattled by our pressure or the crowd. I hope I am wrong, but I expect this to be as tough a game as we see at Cameron this year.

Ah, I understand your point now. Really what you're saying is this year's FSU is a better team than last year's UNC. But being a better team and being more talented are two entirely different things. That said, I still don't think I agree with you, but it's a lot closer call.

jamesfrommaiden
01-21-2012, 12:45 PM
OK so FSU is big and mean and has the length that all the talking heads just love to go on and on about. Yes the beat the brakes of UNC. Do they pose a significant challenge at home in todays game? Sure. Am I scared or nervous as some of you seem to be? NO!!! I have the ultimate faith and confidence in Coach K and his ability to get the team prepared to face such an opponent and to make the right adjustments in game to give Duke a great chance to pull off yet another victory. I mean look at the teams we have already faced. We have accumulated wins against several tournament teams. Duke is undefeated in ACC play and number four in the country. I believe that MPs 1 and 2 can hold their own on the glass. I think that Ryan is a big mismatch for the Noles on the defensive end. Has FSU faced a pick and pop big like #34 so far? Can they defend the 40 or so on ball screens the Devils are going to use? How are they going to try to slow down the penetration of Austin Rivers? Have some faith. They are coming to our house after all. We need to be as strong in our support as we expect our team to be strong in the game itself.

hustleplays
01-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Combining Florida State's perimeter size and Quinn's indisposition, I suspect we'll see a lot of the Seth/Austin/Andre lineup today. Maybe even as a starting lineup.

Do we know Quinn's status? Sorry if it's out there, I couldn't find it. I'm as nervous about that as I am about FSU.

Thanks for any update.

chrishoke
01-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Nuke the Noles!

OldPhiKap
01-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Do we know Quinn's status? Sorry if it's out there, I couldn't find it. I'm as nervous about that as I am about FSU.

Thanks for any update.

Quinn banged up? Hadn't heard that (and missed the Wake game, so please fill me in).

FSU is very good and are coming to prove something.

Our House. Gotta Represent.

(says the old man behind the keyboard)

Philadukie
01-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Here's to hoping that this Mizzou/Baylor game doesn't drag on and is over by 4:00! Hopefully one of them is up by 15 with less than 2:00 to play to avoid end of game fouling. Or that it's a one point game down to the wire with no overtime!

Kedsy
01-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Quinn banged up? Hadn't heard that (and missed the Wake game, so please fill me in).

K said Quinn hurt his knee in practice early in the week. Quinn tweeted he had a bad cold. He only played 14 minutes against Wake and looked like he was limping.

Zeke
01-21-2012, 02:41 PM
FSU games are like an NFL game but without pads. Appropriate that it's on this weekend

loldevilz
01-21-2012, 02:46 PM
I am almost never nervous about games at home, but this game has me scared. The Noles are playing as good as anyone in the country. They embarrassed UNC, and crushed Maryland on the road. They've finally figured out their offense and are playing with a lot of swagger. We don't match up that well with them because they have length on the perimeter which has bothered our guards before.

gumbomoop
01-21-2012, 03:21 PM
We don't match up that well with them because they have length on the perimeter which has bothered our guards before.

With Ian Miller back in the line-up, FSU is hitting on all cylinders right now.

My impression is that neither Loucks nor Dulkys, while tall, possesses a great handle. They don't get to the line a lot. OTOH, both Snaer and Miller do like to get to the rim, and both are good FT-shooters.

Probably should foul James when in doubt, as he shoots 49% FTs. Hope we challenge James early, as getting him in foul trouble would help.

riverside6
01-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Live tempo-based stats for the Duke game here, starters posted. Rivers back in the starting lineup, Cook sits.

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=10528

WiJoe
01-21-2012, 04:12 PM
I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn.

_Gary
01-21-2012, 04:13 PM
There were only 50 seconds left when I tuned in to ESPN at 4 PM. It's now 4:13 and the game still isn't over! Geesh I hate this! :mad:

WiJoe
01-21-2012, 04:14 PM
There were only 50 seconds left when I tuned in to ESPN at 4 PM. It's now 4:13 and the game still isn't over! Geesh I hate this! :mad:

Please refer to post 33

ChrisP
01-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Their good D is forcing us into a lot of one-on-one stuff that result in bad shots. Would love to see more movement on offense. I trust K will make appropriate adjustments but I am a little worried that the 2 fouls on Dawkins is going to really change what we want to do offensively.

Cameron
01-21-2012, 04:26 PM
I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn. I HATE espn.

I think I may have just lost my mind. Anybody have any Thorazine?

Naturally, when I checked the alternate channels for the Duke game, ESPN had the Baylor-Mizzou game playing on two of them and elevator music on the other.

SCMatt33
01-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Can someone at least try to take the ball all the way in. If they get blocked or commit a charge that's fine, but no one is making these 8 foot floaters. It's a really tough shot. I'd rather get some layups/blocking fous and some blocked shots/charges over 8-10 foot floaters over and over again.

lotusland
01-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Duke is playing tough. Not a lot of good looks on offense though. Thank goodness for Rivers' agressiveness. I don't think we're going to get open shots without penetrating or playing inside out.

moonpie23
01-21-2012, 04:56 PM
they should look at the replay and give us our 3 pts....

what a circus shot for them

Bob Green
01-21-2012, 04:58 PM
We are 6/6 from the free throw line while FSU is 5/6. Every point is going to be important this afternoon.

_Gary
01-21-2012, 05:02 PM
they should look at the replay and give us our 3 pts....

what a circus shot for them

Yeah, I'm not sure that Austin's shot actually hit something. I certainly couldn't see it. But since no one seemed to argue the point...

And yes, a big time circus shot for them that really hurt us and gives them momentum coming into the 2nd half. We went from potentially being up 12 to up only 6 in the last few seconds of the half.

WiJoe
01-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure that Austin's shot actually hit something. I certainly couldn't see it. But since no one seemed to argue the point...

Think about it. Why else wold they not allow it? The great espn couldn't give us a decent angle on its replays.

mapei
01-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Think about it. Why else wold they not allow it? The great espn couldn't give us a decent angle on its replays.

Um, cause they make mistakes sometimes?

nocilla
01-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Just curious, but is everyone getting the NCAA flashbacks during TOs or is just that I am watching ESPN America? I don't get regular ESPN so I don't know. But I really like these clips. They have shown the miracle minute, the 95 2OT UNC game, and a few others. Most recent was the Bobby Knight chair throwing game.

moonpie23
01-21-2012, 05:15 PM
lazy start to the 2nd half.......lazy passes, not guarding the ball.......coach K having a word with the boyz...

_Gary
01-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Between the end of the 1st half (Austin's disallowed basket and the FSU luck shot) and the beginning of this 2nd half (3 layups and a five foot hook for FSU) we have had a terrible stretch. Gotta right the ship now.

_Gary
01-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Unless I'm mistaken 4 of the 6 buckets for FSU in the first four minutes of the 2nd half have been layups/dunks. We have got to shore up both the half-court and transition defense.

Bob Green
01-21-2012, 05:21 PM
That was a big basket by Miles. Now he needs to sink the and one to finish the old fashion 3-point play.

crazedblue
01-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Why is Duke always stuck with these people commentating our games. They don't know any of the players and are not aware of the people in the game.

dukebballcamper90-91
01-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Excuse me if I missed something but where the %^&* is Cook

Kdogg
01-21-2012, 05:29 PM
I guess Mike Patrick doesn't count Ryan as a big guy.

mapei
01-21-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm not sure I do, either.

Bob Green
01-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Excuse me if I missed something but where the %^&* is Cook

He tweaked his knee.

_Gary
01-21-2012, 05:36 PM
While Elmore isn't trashing out Duke, he's still showing his bias by calling the game from an FSU announcer-type vantage point. Every time Duke scores he points out how FSU made a mistake on defense, but everytime FSU scores he seems to only talk about how good they were on the play. Kelly hits a long 3 and all Elmore can say is FSU has to know who has the ball and what his strengths are. FSU comes right back down and hits a 3 and he says nothing (although it would have been very appropriate) about Duke letting a long range shooter get free.

This is turning into a real battle and I expect it to go down to the wire. If we can just keep FSU out of the paint and force more outside shots then we should squeak by. But I have to admit they are well coached in their half court offense. My hats off to them.

J.Blink
01-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Kelly!!!!!!!

dukebballcamper90-91
01-21-2012, 05:43 PM
He tweaked his knee.

is there a write up on this anywhere?

throatybeard
01-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Why are the grad students wearing police caution tape wrapped around their foreheads?

</clueless old out-of-state alumnus>

dukelilsis
01-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Our tenacity when fighting for rebounds is much better than it has been in some other games.

In other news, I'd rather have a plastic fork shoved through my skull into my brain than listen to Elmore and Patrick call a Duke game.

FerryFor50
01-21-2012, 05:48 PM
is there a write up on this anywhere?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Quinn+cook+knee

RoyalBlue08
01-21-2012, 05:55 PM
The inconsistency in college refs is maddening. If NBA refs were working this game, everyone would have fouled out. I have no idea how they decide which ones to call.

anon
01-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Our team has looked a lot better today than it has for weeks, IMO, but Austin's double-covered drive was quite the regression to old behavior. :(

statik73
01-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Let's go Devils!
Pull out a big one.
Play smart

SCMatt33
01-21-2012, 06:04 PM
We have to do something to keep them out of the lane. They've scored something like 45 points so far this half. Most of them in the lane or at the line

mapei
01-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Not loving our D on that last possession. But they won it fair and square.