PDA

View Full Version : Dexter Strickland Out for Year

JNort
01-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Hate this for anybody even if they do play for UNC. It looks really bad and he is arguably the best on ball defender defender on the team.

Bluedevil114
01-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Hate this for anybody even if they do play for UNC. It looks really bad and he is arguably the best on ball defender defender on the team.

Looked like an ACL to me the way he hit the floor. UNC is deep in the front court but this could hurt them in the backcourt especially on the defensive end.

1999ballboy
01-20-2012, 12:24 AM
Call me crazy, but this could be really good for the Heels. I'm not trying to take anything away from Strickland or his game, but inserting Bullock into the starting lineup will make them more explosive offensively, and will also vastly increase PJ Hairston's minutes off the bench. Unless what I saw in the McDonald's game was a fluke, that young man has loads of talent that should emerge more and more with experience.

Hopefully- for his sake, and the Heels' sake- it isn't season-ending. I still think Strickland is an asset to their team, but playing 5 or so games without him could help the team discover more about itself.

JNort
01-20-2012, 12:30 AM
Call me crazy, but this could be really good for the Heels. I'm not trying to take anything away from Strickland or his game, but inserting Bullock into the starting lineup will make them more explosive offensively, and will also vastly increase PJ Hairston's minutes off the bench. Unless what I saw in the McDonald's game was a fluke, that young man has loads of talent that should emerge more and more with experience.

Hopefully- for his sake, and the Heels' sake- it isn't season-ending. I still think Strickland is an asset to their team, but playing 5 or so games without him could help the team discover more about itself.

True but defensively this could be very bad? A starting lineup of Marshall, PJ and Barnes all of whom are the worst defensive players that get good minutes. Bullock is not much better either..

Son of Jarhead
01-20-2012, 12:34 AM
It sure didn't look good at all. It seems injuries are almost always worse when a player gets injured with out any contact.

By all accounts he seems like a nice kid... I wish him a speedy & full recovery.

Mike Corey
01-20-2012, 12:43 AM
He was walking around the locker room on his own power. That's an awfully good sign.

Always want the Heels to lose. Never want the Heels to lose players to injury.

SupaDave
01-20-2012, 07:47 AM
He was walking around the locker room on his own power. That's an awfully good sign.

Great news b/c me and the crew's initial reaction was: SEASON OVER!!!

Sgt. Dingleberry
01-20-2012, 09:34 AM

I gotta say, Dexter is one of my favorite Heels ever. He would have been a great Blue Devil;), he seems like that type of kid.

Great news to hear that he is moving around on his own. Hopefully, it is just a sprain.

ChicagoHeel
01-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Good news is that it seemed to improve as the evening wore on. I was sure it was an ACL when it happened. I'm praying it's just a strain.

It would be a tough loss for us primarily because of his role as back-up point guard. Yes, we would miss his D and ability to create in the open court, but Bullock is a solid defender and, at least until Bullock's recent slump, we have had much better offensive efficiency with Bullock and Marshall than with DS and Marshall. Actually, our defensive efficiency doesn't drop off that much either. But if Stillman White has to play significant minutes at the point, that's bad news for us.

MChambers
01-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Good news is that it seemed to improve as the evening wore on. I was sure it was an ACL when it happened. I'm praying it's just a strain.

It would be a tough loss for us primarily because of his role as back-up point guard. Yes, we would miss his D and ability to create in the open court, but Bullock is a solid defender and, at least until Bullock's recent slump, we have had much better offensive efficiency with Bullock and Marshall than with DS and Marshall. Actually, our defensive efficiency doesn't drop off that much either. But if Stillman White has to play significant minutes at the point, that's bad news for us.

That's interesting about the defense, but if he were out for a prolonged period, I still think UNC's defensive efficiency would take a hit. Having Marshall and Bullock/Hairston as your starting guards doesn't strike me as a very good defensive perimeter.

And I agree with you about the point. Would put even more pressure on Marshall. Teams already have every incentive to pressure him as much as possible on both ends of the floor, of course.

BluDvlsN1
01-20-2012, 11:01 AM
It's always a sad event when a young person get's injured doing what they love to do!
Basketball talk aside, no X's and O's, no +'s or -'s....

Let's just universally, wish Dexter a speedy and complete recovery !!!

Ichabod Drain
01-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Austin's sister must be distressed.

Hope Dex will be ok.

jamos14
01-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Unfortunately, you cannot judge the severity of an ACL/MCL injury based on Strickland walking after the game. Many athletes have torn their ACL/MCL and still walked on it. It is the lateral movement of the knee that is painful, not the normal walking movement.

Matches
01-20-2012, 11:39 AM

Agreed - very telling that Marshall played 37 minutes last night even though the game wasn't all that close.

jjasper0729
01-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Agreed - very telling that Marshall played 37 minutes last night even though the game wasn't all that close.

He wasn't the only one... I noticed that the core group was in there with only a minute or so to go (Barnes, Henson, Zeller, Marshall)

devildeac
01-20-2012, 12:04 PM
He wasn't the only one... I noticed that the core group was in there with only a minute or so to go (Barnes, Henson, Zeller, Marshall)

Can we safely assume the unc coach was still on the sidelines as the final seconds ticked down?

NSDukeFan
01-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Can we safely assume the unc coach was still on the sidelines as the final seconds ticked down?

I wouldn't make that assumption.

BlueDevilCorvette!
01-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Unfortunately, you cannot judge the severity of an ACL/MCL injury based on Strickland walking after the game. Many athletes have torn their ACL/MCL and still walked on it. It is the lateral movement of the knee that is painful, not the normal walking movement.

Your comments are absolutely correct. I have torn the ACL in both my right knee and left knee playing basketball. After a few minutes on the ground I got up and walked away under my own power (hoping and praying it was just a sprain knee). However deep inside I knew it had to be either my ACL or PCL because my stability was weak and wobbly. The way Strickland clutched his knee was exactly the same way I clutched mine. One of the tell-tale signs of a possible ACL tear is if you hear that "POP" and soon there after the swelling ensues. I instantly said a prayer for Strickland because I wouldn't wish the rehab from a ACL tear on anybody.

jbmaverick
01-20-2012, 05:35 PM

Exactly. I never want to see any of these kids - on anybody's team - seriously injured, as it could affect their whole future.

AluminumDuke
01-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Apparently last year he suffered a "slightly torn" meniscus (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/stricklands-injury-a-slightly-torn-meniscus) last March.

Class of '94
01-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Not much info really; but here's the latest from wral: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/10626356/ .

The link that Strickland is still undergoing tests at the time this article was written. I don't have a medical background or a history with ACL injuries; but could this be a sign of good news for Dexter. He could be ok and they are doing additional tests just to make sure. Then again, it could mean the opposite.........

doctorhook
01-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Torn ACL, out for the season according to IC.

CarmenWallaceWade
01-20-2012, 08:01 PM

and wral.com. Hate it for him.

MCFinARL
01-20-2012, 08:01 PM

This is being reported on ESPN as well.

socaldukie
01-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Confirmed,done for the year...http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/34482809

DesertDevil
01-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Ouch. I feel bad for the kid, you hate to see anyone go down for the year like that. When it happened, I didn't think it looked good for him.

roywhite
01-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Hate to hear news like that.

It's a long journey back from ACL surgery; good luck, Dexter; work hard and keep a good attitude.

One of the younger perimeter players has to step up for the Heels.
Could be something that works out well, could be a real blow to the team.
Definite challenge for the coaches and players.

By the way, is Leslie McDonald a possibility to fill this spot, or definitely out?

SupaDave
01-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Great news b/c me and the crew's initial reaction was: SEASON OVER!!!

Dang - we were right. Sorry for the guy!

OldPhiKap
01-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Very sorry to hear this. Full recovery, Dex.

moonpie23
01-20-2012, 09:31 PM
bummer....hope that gets better for him

NYBri
01-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Quick recovery Dex.

UrinalCake
01-20-2012, 09:36 PM
It seems like UNC has had a pretty bad case of the injury bug lately. This is just what I can recall from memory, please correct me if I'm wrong or have forgotten anyone:

2011-2012: Leslie McDonald loses almost the entire season and will redshirt. Dexter Strickland will now lose over half of the season.
2010-2011: Reggie Bullock gets injured about halfway through ACC season and is done for the year.
2009-2010: Will Graves, Justin Watts, Ed Davis all miss significant parts of the season. I think Tyler Zeller missed a few games too.
2008-2009: Marcus Ginyard gets hurt fairly late in the year, as does Tyler Zeller.

And of course this doesn't even include Larry Drew and the Wear twins leaving, or Will Graves being dismissed from the team in 2010-2011.

Time to hire a new training staff?

MChambers
01-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Quick recovery Dex.
Odd that a team would lose two players to ACL injuries in such a short period. I'm sure it's a coincidence, but I hope they both recover fully (speaking as someone who's been thru it, albeit quite a few years ago).

roywhite
01-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Odd that a team would lose two players to ACL injuries in such a short period. I'm sure it's a coincidence, but I hope they both recover fully (speaking as someone who's been thru it, albeit quite a few years ago).

Knees in Chapel Hill.

Feet in Durham.

oldnavy
01-20-2012, 10:00 PM
It's always fun to ridicule and pick on our arch rivals on the hill, but you really hate to see someone get hurt. I hope and pray that he makes a full recovery and is back next year so we can ridicule and pick on him again. Get well soon Dexter.

jv001
01-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Hope you get well quickly Dexter. Some things are more important than sports. GoDuke!

SCMatt33
01-20-2012, 10:20 PM
The biggest thing for him is not to push himself too hard. Next year is his senior year, and the tendency is to try to get back as quickly as possible. The start of next season is just under 10 months away, and unless his injury was particularly bad, he should have a good chance to play right away, but he can't try and push himself to be ready to go full speed by the start of practice. You want to see him better, but we've seen a lot of guys the last few years with multiple knee injuries, and taking the time to recover properly will be important.

devildeac
01-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Hate to hear news like that.

It's a long journey back from ACL surgery; good luck, Dexter; work hard and keep a good attitude.

One of the younger perimeter players has to step up for the Heels.
Could be something that works out well, could be a real blow to the team.
Definite challenge for the coaches and players.

By the way, is Leslie McDonald a possibility to fill this spot, or definitely out?

I thought McDonald was out for the year, too. But my memory has been faulty at times at my age:o.

devildeac
01-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Knees in Chapel Hill.

Feet in Durham.

Beat me to it. Great minds think alike, though mine is faaaar slower than yours:o.

gofurman
01-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Not to demean the injury at all.. hope for a great recovery for strickland.. But in what ways do you see this affecting the Heels? Honestly I think if they had to lose one of the starting 5 clearly Strickland was the one they could most afford (again, I dont mean that to come off wrong). Marshall is THE pg, Barnes is the SF, and Henson and Zeller are scary in the middle. Despite losing McDonald, they still have Bullock and Hairston. I guess Strickland was the most tenured and had the best defense... but the other two bring more O.

Heck, UNC played inspired and some of their best ball of the year in the VT game after he went out. They were scary good in the second half without him. thoughts??

Mike Corey
01-21-2012, 02:33 AM
Very sorry to hear this news, and I feel foolish for assuming that post-game walking would mean that the injury could not be season-ending.

Here's hoping for a fast recovery for Mr. Strickland, and that the Heels are able to pull together.

Saratoga2
01-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Very sorry to hear this news, and I feel foolish for assuming that post-game walking would mean that the injury could not be season-ending.

Here's hoping for a fast recovery for Mr. Strickland, and that the Heels are able to pull together.

Hate to see any good kid sidelined like that. I hope he will make a full recovery for the future.

UrinalCake
01-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Not to demean the injury at all.. hope for a great recovery for strickland.. But in what ways do you see this affecting the Heels?

On offense they'll be fine. Bullock and Hairston are better outside shooters than Strickland so they're not losing anything there. It hurts them with depth because Strickland could slide over to PG whenever Marshall needed a breather. Now Stillman White is their only option. Marshall has shown he can play heavy minutes but that's a pretty steep dropoff whenever he comes out, which puts a lot of pressure on him especially with how they like to run at every opportunity.

Defense is where this injury really hurts them. I think they're a better team defensively than most people give them credit for, but Strickland was their best perimeter defender and filled the "guy who guards the other team's best scorer" role. So Bullock and/or Hairston will need to step it up defensively. Overall they're still a top-10 team and potentially a top-5 IMO as opponents still have to content with that ridiculous front line.

DUKIE V(A)
01-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Tough news. Hate to see players get hurt. Strickland seems to be a high character guy, and I think -- in the long run -- this is going to be a bigger loss for Carolina than it appears. It really leaves them vulnerable if Marshall tweaks an ankle or gets in foul trouble. In a one game, winner take all situation, this type situation could spell the end without a viable back-up. In addition, Strickland's defense and offensive efficiency (he takes good percentage shots and makes them at a 57% rate from the field) were strong points...I think Hairston is a high quality shooter and going to be an excellent player eventually, but he has struggled with his shot thus far this season (34% from the field and from 3-pt land). While Bullock is a nice talent, I'm not sure he makes his teammates better.

SupaDave
01-21-2012, 12:54 PM
On offense they'll be fine. Bullock and Hairston are better outside shooters than Strickland so they're not losing anything there. It hurts them with depth because Strickland could slide over to PG whenever Marshall needed a breather. Now Stillman White is their only option. Marshall has shown he can play heavy minutes but that's a pretty steep dropoff whenever he comes out, which puts a lot of pressure on him especially with how they like to run at every opportunity.

I disagree. Strick is one of the only folks on that UNC team that could create his own shot. Marshall has a nice little slow thing to the left that's working but I'm pretty sure that's scouted by now. Wear Marshall out and you eliminate his already shaky jump shot and you throw UNC's offense into disarray. Wear Marshall out and a guy that's already a step slow on defense becomes a huge liability. PJ Hairston in no point guard, this is a guy I've seen look off John Wall - so he's not passing the rock much. In fact, in the Tech game Hairston shot what had to be a 30 foot 3 pointer, missed, and hit the bench. Now all of a sudden UNC is big and lumbering with their two fastest players out for the year. Can Barnes handle the load? I don't think so, especially if the Heels get down huge.

And as far as a back-up point guard goes. Meet Stilman White - and the only clip I could find of him on the net actually playing bball. You be the judge but I believe the Heels are in for some fights. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01wopll85o0

superdave
01-21-2012, 02:31 PM
I disagree. Strick is one of the only folks on that UNC team that could create his own shot. Marshall has a nice little slow thing to the left that's working but I'm pretty sure that's scouted by now. Wear Marshall out and you eliminate his already shaky jump shot and you throw UNC's offense into disarray. Wear Marshall out and a guy that's already a step slow on defense becomes a huge liability. PJ Hairston in no point guard, this is a guy I've seen look off John Wall - so he's not passing the rock much. In fact, in the Tech game Hairston shot what had to be a 30 foot 3 pointer, missed, and hit the bench. Now all of a sudden UNC is big and lumbering with their two fastest players out for the year. Can Barnes handle the load? I don't think so, especially if the Heels get down huge.

And as far as a back-up point guard goes. Meet Stilman White - and the only clip I could find of him on the net actually playing bball. You be the judge but I believe the Heels are in for some fights. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01wopll85o0

I read on twitter this AM that Unc is .84 in AdjD with Dexter on the court and .92 without him. Unc is currently ranked #11 in D on KenPom and will likely drop considerably. He's their best on the ball defender.

Kedsy
01-21-2012, 02:33 PM
I read on twitter this AM that Unc is .84 in AdjD with Dexter on the court and .92 without him. Unc is currently ranked #11 in D on KenPom and will likely drop considerably. He's their best on the ball defender.

I wonder if those numbers are adjusted? .92 would make them almost as bad as we are. :eek:

SCMatt33
01-21-2012, 02:57 PM

I still don't think their offense will be hurt that much. He really didn't "create" all that often. It's not like they run 5-10 iso plays for him every game. Much of his scoring came in transition, and on quick plays, and that is something that they will miss. No one else on that team gets up the floor quite as quickly as he does. I don't think their offense will be that much worse, but they will have to adjust. They will be replacing him with guys who are shooters, which is a club that Strickland certainly didn't have in his bag. It's not that bad for them though, given the tighter rotation and that Marshall will probably be playing 35+ min/game the rest of the way. Having an offensive change that slows them down just a bit (they're 2nd in adjusted tempo right now) might be what they have to do. I don't see the back-up point guard being too much of an issue, since Marshall was already playing more minutes than anyone else on the team. He doesn't have a speed based game anyway, so I can see him going from 31 to 35 or 37 minutes without too much trouble. If they can't hold down the fort for 3-5 minutes spread throughout the first half, they have bigger issues than Marshall being on the bench.

The defense, though is a different story. They just need guys to flat out play better than before.