PDA

View Full Version : Weauxfing

hurleyfor3
01-19-2012, 01:56 PM
The level of gloating here over UNC's loss to Florida state, and the events surrounding it (Roy's behavior), make me uncomfortable. I say this partly as a mod, charged with maintaining productive conversation here, but primarily as a fan.

Years ago, mostly on the older boards, posters often referred to "weaufing" and disturbing the "weaufgods", which proverbially happens when one gets an unreasonably high an opinion of one's own team and/or an unreasonably low opinion of one's opponent or rival based on a limited sample size. The discussion over the past few days makes me concerned we are awakening the weaufgods again.

Now I enjoy watching unc lose athletic contests as much as any dark-blue-blooded American should. The loss against Florida State was historic, and nothing would make me happier than it setting a precedent for the rest of unc's season. But it was one game out of a 16-game conference schedule, and one game out of a 30-40 game season that has some 20 games remaining. We have played neither FSU nor UNC yet ourselves, and the last decade or so of Duke basketball is littered with frustrating losses to both teams, especially at FSU.

There have been several years recently when unc has redeemed itself in the postseason after weak starts in conference play -- most notably 1997, but also in 1990, 2000 and last year. Duke has performed similarly in some years, and in others, we have suffered abrupt endings to our season after very high expectations.

Most of the posts over the last few days on this subject haven't been technically against our rules. But they have often run against our general principles that aim to foster well-informed discussion of college basketball, Duke in particular. Everything that can be said about the UNC/FSU game has been by now. So my request, speaking as a fan and a moderator, is for people here to have some perspective. Let's focus on the games ahead of us (and ahead of UNC) and dial back the UNC and Roy bashing, at least until there's a stronger body of evidence against the abilities of our archrival. "Next Play" doesn't just apply when we lose. To be more blunt: Please, everyone, quit weaufing.

Now if unc somehow ends up at the bottom of the conference, go crazy.

Thanks for understanding.

JNort
01-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Maybe that is why we lost to to Temple.... so maybe we already payed the price... *crossing fingers and hoping*

superdave
01-19-2012, 02:00 PM
More posts on UNC-FSU than on Duke-Clemson. That's not a good sign. Have fun rubber-necking, but dont forget to move along in a timely fashion lest you cause a traffic jam.

Ichabod Drain
01-19-2012, 02:22 PM
I agree, i was thinking the same thing yesterday and then it made me glad to see you had locked the thread. In college basketball there's only one thing I like more than UNC losing and that is Duke winning. That is what should be the focus here IMO.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-19-2012, 02:29 PM
As Guy Fieri would say, that's money. Well stated and very timely. Gloating over someone else's problems is a waste of time and energy.:cool:

feldspar
01-19-2012, 02:51 PM
I've never bought into the "FSU/UNC thread has more posts than CLEM/DUKE thread" meme. Using two threads about completely different games to suggest people aren't focused on the right things is a tab absurd to me. Seminole-gate was a gaffe of epic proportions that only comes along once every few years. Of course it's going to generate more response than a run-of-the-mill road win against a middle-of-the-road ACC team.

Let's just all take a step back and realize that, yes, our community here is a little more high brow than most, but in general, the conversation patterns are going to largely follow that of the nation as a whole. Just because Seminole-gate gets more views and replies than the Clemson game doesn't mean we're failing as a fan base.

And I disagree that gloating is a waste of time and energy, just as much as I disagree with my wife when she says watching every single Duke game is a waste of time and energy, when I could be doing something more productive. It's all just entertainment in the end. This is the stuff that makes life livable.

feldspar
01-19-2012, 02:55 PM

I'm not sure why you're setting the standard for when/if we can enjoy schadenfraude against our rival. After all, this is the team that was anointed by the media and especially their own fan base as the team of the millenium. Heck, I talked with tons of Carolina fans who wondered openly (and some who declared emphatically) if this team could go undefeated all season.

The fact that this UNC team is underachieving so far gives way to the types of posts your seeing. I'm not of the opinion, as you said, that we have to wait until they are in the cellar of the conference to start pointing fingers and laughing.

Devilsfan
01-19-2012, 02:56 PM
I'll wait for Rob Lowe's tweet to hear the real story behind ol'roy antics at fsu.

hudlow
01-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Life is short...you got to get it while you can.

rsvman
01-19-2012, 03:15 PM
I'd much rather watch a Duke win than a UNC loss. No contest. The ideal situation is when both of those things happen at the exact same time.

But I agree with feldspar that the Tallahassacre, being a much more uncommon event, deserved a lot of buzz.

And I don't believe in weaufing, the weaufgods, or any such nonsense.

jv001
01-19-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm not sure why you're setting the standard for when/if we can enjoy schadenfraude against our rival. After all, this is the team that was anointed by the media and especially their own fan base as the team of the millenium. Heck, I talked with tons of Carolina fans who wondered openly (and some who declared emphatically) if this team could go undefeated all season.

The fact that this UNC team is underachieving so far gives way to the types of posts your seeing. I'm not of the opinion, as you said, that we have to wait until they are in the cellar of the conference to start pointing fingers and laughing.

I can remember last year before Kyrie was injured, many media and some Duke fans were wondering if Duke would go undefeated. Was it basketball gods or karma that caused Kyrie's injury. I don't think anyone has proven there is such a thing as basketball gods. It's good to laugh a little at unc and ole roy, but like everything else it can be taken too far. GoDuke!

-jk
01-19-2012, 03:27 PM
If you don't hold the weaufgods in esteem, then think of it as a polite, perhaps even silly, way of saying: It was fun, but we've collectively beaten roygate into the ground and it's time to move on.

Go VaTech!

-jk

mike88
01-19-2012, 03:46 PM
If you don't hold the weaufgods in esteem, then think of it as a polite, perhaps even silly, way of saying: It was fun, but we've collectively beaten roygate into the ground and it's time to move on.

Go VaTech!

-jk

I am looking forward (hopefully) to a "Beatdown in Blacksburg / Roy's Rage" thread later tonight- but with it being VT vs. UNc, I will be happy with any result - someone has to lose!

SoCalDukeFan
01-19-2012, 03:59 PM
I agree completely that a Duke win is better than a UNC-CH loss, and usually deserves more discussion.

However this was not a normal UNC-CH loss. This was a 33 point defeat by an unranked team. And Roy, his staff, and the scholarship players left and the "walk-ons" had to fend for themselves. The defeat and the aftermath got more than the usual discussion in the media. All this is going to foster more posts at DBR.

If we can't gloat over a UNC-CH loss like that, when can we?

I thought the thread should not have been closed.

SoCal

Bluealum
01-19-2012, 03:59 PM
The level of gloating here over UNC's loss to Florida state, and the events surrounding it (Roy's behavior), make me uncomfortable. I say this partly as a mod, charged with maintaining productive conversation here, but primarily as a fan.

Years ago, mostly on the older boards, posters often referred to "weaufing" and disturbing the "weaufgods", which proverbially happens when one gets an unreasonably high an opinion of one's own team and/or an unreasonably low opinion of one's opponent or rival based on a limited sample size. The discussion over the past few days makes me concerned we are awakening the weaufgods again.

Now I enjoy watching unc lose athletic contests as much as any dark-blue-blooded American should. The loss against Florida State was historic, and nothing would make me happier than it setting a precedent for the rest of unc's season. But it was one game out of a 16-game conference schedule, and one game out of a 30-40 game season that has some 20 games remaining. We have played neither FSU nor UNC yet ourselves, and the last decade or so of Duke basketball is littered with frustrating losses to both teams, especially at FSU.

There have been several years recently when unc has redeemed itself in the postseason after weak starts in conference play -- most notably 1997, but also in 1990, 2000 and last year. Duke has performed similarly in some years, and in others, we have suffered abrupt endings to our season after very high expectations.

Most of the posts over the last few days on this subject haven't been technically against our rules. But they have often run against our general principles that aim to foster well-informed discussion of college basketball, Duke in particular. Everything that can be said about the UNC/FSU game has been by now. So my request, speaking as a fan and a moderator, is for people here to have some perspective. Let's focus on the games ahead of us (and ahead of UNC) and dial back the UNC and Roy bashing, at least until there's a stronger body of evidence against the abilities of our archrival. "Next Play" doesn't just apply when we lose. To be more blunt: Please, everyone, quit weaufing.

Thanks, I know it's not easy to make this type of judgement call, especially when the discussion is not egregious, but it does cross the line into rubber necking. Keeping this board at a different standard than others is what makes it unique and there are many of us that cherish that. I love a good UNC beat down, but the thing that I most dislike about bandwagon UNC fans in the state of NC is that they have an out of proportion distaste for Duke that smells of a complex. Our losses seem to provoke more joy than their wins. I hope we are never that way, even if/when they go through a period where their program is a step above ours (when the K transition happens?). I would like to think that the quality or our institution and the quality of our fans is noticeably, if not entirely, better than theirs. I can only hold this view if we do not sink to their level of obsession with our program. This sort of 'moderation' helps.

Cheers!

tendev
01-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks, I know it's not easy to make this type of judgement call, especially when the discussion is not egregious, but it does cross the line into rubber necking. Keeping this board at a different standard than others is what makes it unique and there are many of us that cherish that. I love a good UNC beat down, but the thing that I most dislike about bandwagon UNC fans in the state of NC is that they have an out of proportion distaste for Duke that smells of a complex. Our losses seem to provoke more joy than their wins. I hope we are never that way, even if/when they go through a period where their program is a step above ours (when the K transition happens?). I would like to think that the quality or our institution and the quality of our fans is noticeably, if not entirely, better than theirs. I can only hold this view if we do not sink to their level of obsession with our program. This sort of 'moderation' helps.

Cheers!

We should move on and quit acting like the fans on those other boards who delight in our misery after our team's losses. They are juvenile and unworthy of our standards. We are, after all, Duke fans.

Sincerely, Thurston Howell III and Mortimer Duke

hurleyfor3
01-19-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure why you're setting the standard for when/if we can enjoy schadenfraude against our rival.

As a moderator, it is my duty to maintain an atmosphere of well-informed, value-adding discussion of Duke basketball that reflects well on the entire community here. Much of the discussion was diverging from this goal. Also, the material you quoted was clearly not intended to be a black-and-white standard. I feel no need to document the extent of my own unc-related schadenfreude.

The message is not, NOT, "don't discuss the UNC/FSU game ever again". It is not even, "don't discuss the game right now". It is most simply, "next play".

Now is as good a time as any to re-introduce the specter of the weaufgods to an audience that may not be fully experienced with them. I am rather surprised that you act as if you are part of this audience.

OldPhiKap
01-19-2012, 04:45 PM
FSU is really good, and we have been smacked around in Tallahassee ourselves several times.

UNC is still a very good team. It will be interesting to see how they play in Blacksburg.

Roy is fun to laugh at, regardless of the situation. That's what rivals do.

Go Duke, beat Wake!!

devil84
01-19-2012, 05:01 PM
There are people that don't believe in the weaufgods? (said in jest -- mostly)

I was searching for the origins of weaufing/weauxing/woofing and found this (http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~dwilson/rsfc/Woof.html). It's a great explanation.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Tar Heel's misfortune as much or more as the next guy. I mean, I graduated from high school in Durham in the 80's when being a Duke fan was difficult in a sea of UNC and NCSU fans. I was at Duke for Coach K's first four years, a time when my high school buddies were cheering their national championship teams at UNC and NCSU. I'd LOVE to give back exactly what I got from them. Really. But I also enjoy talking about Duke basketball and watching this year's team unfold. I'll revel in Roy's foibles privately, where the weaufgods (and the anti-Duke people) won't hold it against us.

As a moderator, it is my duty to maintain an atmosphere of well-informed, value-adding discussion of Duke basketball that reflects well on the entire community here. Much of the discussion was diverging from this goal. Also, the material you quoted was clearly not intended to be a black-and-white standard. I feel no need to document the extent of my own unc-related schadenfreude.

The message is not, NOT, "don't discuss the UNC/FSU game ever again". It is not even, "don't discuss the game right now". It is most simply, "next play".
I agree with Hurleyfor3. We moderators are charged with keeping this a great place to be. Next play.

Disbelieve in the weaufgods at your own peril. I bet you don't have a lucky t-shirt, either. ;)

superdave
01-19-2012, 05:07 PM
"I couldn't give a $%^& about weaufing right now, Bonnie". -Roy

Alright, gotta get my game face on to beat Wake!

feldspar
01-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Now is as good a time as any to re-introduce the specter of the weaufgods to an audience that may not be fully experienced with them. I am rather surprised that you act as if you are part of this audience.

I'm not acting as if I'm not part of this audience. I'm pointing out that you're completely misconstruing the concept of weaufing (of woofing, or weauxing, or however you want to speeeeeell it).

Weaufing is not laughing at your opponent (over and over again, even) when they do something worthy of being laughed at.

Weaufing is illogically and irrationally boosting up one particular team over another to the point where it angers the weaufgods and they start heaping magical abilities on the opposing team, causing them to win.

I haven't seen anyone here say things to the effect of "Roy is so dumb he's going to grind his team into the ground and they'll never beat our Blue Devils!" or "The Tar Heels are so incompetent, they'll never win an ACC road game again this year!!"

In fact, I've seen WAY more weaufing from UNC fans overall this season than from Duke fans on this board. Way way way more.

That, my friend, is weaufing. What you've been seeing here on the board is simply schadenfreude. Nothing in the Oliver Woofing Theorem talks about schadenfreude.

So, let's just be clear about that.

wilko
01-19-2012, 05:22 PM
However this was not a normal UNC-CH loss. This was a 33 point defeat by an unranked team. And Roy, his staff, and the scholarship players left and the "walk-ons" had to fend for themselves. The defeat and the aftermath got more than the usual discussion in the media. All this is going to foster more posts at DBR.

If we can't gloat over a UNC-CH loss like that, when can we?

I thought the thread should not have been closed.

SoCal

Got dat rite!

UNC is fair game until they win their next game. And Personally, I hope that its years from now.

Surely any transgressions from weaufing/weauxing/woofing were exacted on "The Toe" and we have a clean slate of good positive karma built up.. One would hope anyway..

Duvall
01-19-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm not acting as if I'm not part of this audience. I'm pointing out that you're completely misconstruing the concept of weaufing (of woofing, or weauxing, or however you want to speeeeeell it).

The standard spellings are woofing and weaufxing.

bradvinjack
01-22-2012, 11:27 AM

You might of hit this nail right on the head. Maybe the weaufgods helped that three pointer at the end.

killerleft
01-22-2012, 11:42 AM
You might of hit this nail right on the head. Maybe the weaufgods helped that three pointer at the end.

If I thought that WeaufGods were in any way influencing the outcome of college basketball games, I would not be a fan at all. No "fixes" for me!

duketaylor
01-13-2015, 02:07 PM
BTTT!!! Please, mod, incorporate this into the pregame talk about tonight's game. Thx, CT.

OldPhiKap
01-13-2015, 03:08 PM
BTTT!!! Please, mod, incorporate this into the pregame talk about tonight's game. Thx, CT.

No doubt. And giving bulletin board material is just plain dumb.

duketaylor
01-13-2015, 08:33 PM
Too bad this isn't getting run into the other thread. Oh well!!

duketaylor
01-13-2015, 11:21 PM
Sorry this needs to be returned to the top, sad!!

OldPhiKap
01-13-2015, 11:27 PM
Sorry this needs to be returned to the top, sad!!

Hell, this should be pinned to the top.

CDu
01-13-2015, 11:43 PM
I cannot understand why otherwise rational people feel that comments on a message board have any relevance to the actual game.

OldPhiKap
01-14-2015, 12:00 AM
I cannot understand why otherwise rational people feel that comments on a message board have any relevance to the actual game.

Perhaps it has to do with the cathartic power of telling folks who repeatedly and aggressively guarantee a 20-point beat-down of a conference opponent, when we start three freshmen, to STFU.

OldPhiKap
01-14-2015, 12:18 AM
Perhaps it has to do with the cathartic power of telling folks who repeatedly and aggressively guarantee a 20-point beat-down of a conference opponent, when we start three freshmen, to STFU.

Too late to edit, but to make clear -- comment not aimed at CDu (who does not weauf AFAIK). I assume that is clear but apologize in advance if read to the contrary.

Duvall
01-14-2015, 01:08 AM

They don't. It's just a tongue-in-cheek way of advising people not to make jackasses of themselves.

CDu
01-14-2015, 09:59 AM
They don't. It's just a tongue-in-cheek way of advising people not to make jackasses of themselves.

Based on some of the comments made in the postgame thread, I don't think this is true for everyone.

CDu
01-14-2015, 11:43 AM

Said person already apologized in the thread. The repeated blasts of him/her seem very over the top. And again, who cares what so-and-so said pre-game? It had no impact on the result. If they want to risk looking silly afterwards, so be it.

Also, I am pretty sure that telling that individual to STFU is way out of bounds of the spirit of this board.

Again, I would recommend directing your anger at the appropriate target. You are upset because the team looked awful - don't take it out on other posters (even if what they said was silly).

[FYI - I didn't take your comments as pointed at me, so no offense taken by me. But thanks for clarifying just in case. I do appreciate that!]