PDA

View Full Version : UNC Women Surpass Men

burnspbesq
01-16-2012, 11:08 PM
UConn 86, Carolina 35. Lowest scoring output and largest margin of defeat in program history.

Duvall
01-16-2012, 11:09 PM
UConn 86, Carolina 35. Lowest scoring output and largest margin of defeat in program history.

On the plus side, nobody tried to quit and go home.

camion
01-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Yeah, there was no danger that UCONN would rush the court.

OldPhiKap
01-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Yeah, there was no danger that UCONN would rush the court.

Does the women's team call their scrubs "Blue Steel" too, or do they have a less embarrasing name?

uh_no
01-16-2012, 11:18 PM

Part of the problem is Coach Hatchell. The average margin of defeat the past 5 outings is something ridiculous like 32 (including i think 2 1v2 matchups?)

She insists that her team is a running team and that the way to beat uconn is to run with them, and each year they beat the pants off the heels. You would think after the first few times she might try to come up with a new game plan.

anyway, I hope that the duke women don't fall to the same fate next week (as they have lost by similar margins of victory for the past few years)

OldPhiKap
01-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Part of the problem is Coach Hatchell. The average margin of defeat the past 5 outings is something ridiculous like 32 (including i think 2 1v2 matchups?)

She insists that her team is a running team and that the way to beat uconn is to run with them, and each year they beat the pants off the heels. You would think after the first few times she might try to come up with a new game plan.

A UNC basketball coach with an inflexible approach and a dimwitted yet bullheaded plan to force ill-fitting players to a pre-conceived program formula of play?

Can there really be two of them?!?

Duvall
01-16-2012, 11:29 PM
A UNC basketball coach with an inflexible approach and a dimwitted yet bullheaded plan to force ill-fitting players to a pre-conceived program formula of play?

UNC women's basketball? I don't see any method at all.

uh_no
01-16-2012, 11:31 PM

Can there really be two of them?!?

and they even wear the same jacket!

oldnavy
01-17-2012, 06:50 AM
I heard that Roy was watching the game, became worried about his safety then got up and went to the bedroom. Only later did he realize that he had left Wanda sitting on the couch!

jv001
01-17-2012, 07:30 AM
and they even wear the same jacket!

Ugly colored jackets and ugly people and I'm not talking about looks. GoDuke!

DukeGirl4ever
01-17-2012, 08:44 AM
The score could have been a lot worse. It was 71-21 when Geno started putting in some of the bench players who could not hit the broad side of a barn if they tried.

How can UNC even be a ranked team after that beat down?

NSDukeFan
01-17-2012, 09:24 AM
The score could have been a lot worse. It was 71-21 when Geno started putting in some of the bench players who could not hit the broad side of a barn if they tried.

Are you talking about the women's or the men's team? :D

OldPhiKap
01-17-2012, 09:29 AM

I find them both pretty rank.

jjasper0729
01-17-2012, 09:45 AM

I brought this up on the FSU/UNC thread. There just aren't that many quality women's teams. Sylvia is known to get "athletes" and wants to run faster than even Roy does. They have such a high turnover rate, but it's like a woman's Loyola Marymount team sometimes and when shots aren't falling or the other team plays a modicum of defense, then they get stymied and it's all she wrote.

jv001
01-17-2012, 10:02 AM
I brought this up on the FSU/UNC thread. There just aren't that many quality women's teams. Sylvia is known to get "athletes" and wants to run faster than even Roy does. They have such a high turnover rate, but it's like a woman's Loyola Marymount team sometimes and when shots aren't falling or the other team plays a modicum of defense, then they get stymied and it's all she wrote.

Don't you just love it when this happens. I love to see sylvia complaining to the refs. I love to see the women's team lose almost as much as the men's team. Naw, it's not even close. GoDuke!

miramar
01-17-2012, 10:22 AM
From the official website:

"Coach Sylvia Hatchell said she didn't want to make any excuses for the rout, but noted that injuries have kept key players, including Laura Broomfield, Tierra Ruffin-Pratt and freshman Megan Buckland on the bench for long stretches this season."

She doesn't want to make excuses, but then turns around and does it. She just can't help it.

I guess that it didn't occur to her that if UNC had played a bit better, then Gino would have kep his starters in longer and they would have won by 60.

http://www.tarheelblue.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/011612aaa.html

DukeGirl4ever
01-17-2012, 10:27 AM

BOTH! The women's team should be unranked after that spanking and I find it appalling the men's team only dropped 5 spots. That game was pathetic by them....guess the people who know what they're talking about (not us) are still looking at how good this team is on paper and not their production.

devildeac
01-17-2012, 12:44 PM

anyway, I hope that the duke women don't fall to the same fate next week (as they have lost by similar margins of victory for the past few years)

I'm not going to laugh too long or loud (but I will laugh some!) as I also fear the same result as mentioned in the last sentence above.

-bdbd
01-17-2012, 12:50 PM

Well, um, don't recall Duke ever losing to them by 50+, but I could be mistaken... Sure hope that we at least are competitive this year! (I do think it will be a decent game.)

Coach Geno actually put in some bench players?? Wow. Really?! I didn't think he ever did that! Boy, now I know it was outta hand! (But at least you're supporting Uh No's "defense" of why he had his starters still in vs Duke last year with 2 minutes to go and up by 35...) ;)

CameronBornAndBred
01-17-2012, 03:03 PM
They aren't anymore. In fact GT now has more votes than they do. (And GT isn't ranked either)

DukeGirl4ever
01-17-2012, 04:26 PM
They aren't anymore. In fact GT now has more votes than they do. (And GT isn't ranked either)

Thanks for that info, Cameron! I did not have the chance to look at the latest polls - a little thing called work got in the way. I hate when that happens. :D

And -bdbd, yes he did play his bench and IIRC, it was somewhere around the 8 minute mark so it wasn't like the Duke butt-whooping! I must say, I do like Geno, and in his defense (after watching the game last night), his bench is pretty bad.

uh_no
01-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Well, um, don't recall Duke ever losing to them by 50+, but I could be mistaken... Sure hope that we at least are competitive this year! (I do think it will be a decent game.)

by similar margins, i meant to the 32 point average margin which UNC has lost by. (35,36,33,26), but yes none over 50.

I think this will be <30 points, and duke could even give uconn a game, but P will have to have a good game plan and the players will have to execute. the talent is there, for sure

Coach Geno actually put in some bench players?? Wow. Really?! I didn't think he ever did that! Boy, now I know it was outta hand! (But at least you're supporting Uh No's "defense" of why he had his starters still in vs Duke last year with 2 minutes to go and up by 35...) ;)

given last year, uconn had about 6 serviceable players, so unless geno was about to suit up the lucky fans in section 7 row M (and risk an NCAA violation), he had pretty much no one else to play

msdukie
01-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Does the women's team call their scrubs "Blue Steel" too, or do they have a less embarrasing name?

No, they have a more embarrassing name... TAR HEELS.

OldPhiKap
01-17-2012, 10:34 PM

Just thought that should be posted twice. Y'know -- in case it didn't sink in the first time.

roywhite
01-17-2012, 10:48 PM

Though, of course, Ole Roy didn't stick like he had tar on his heels. He left the battle field.

What's In a Name? Why We're All Called Tar Heels
By William S. Powell
(http://www.lib.unc.edu/ncc/tarheel.html)

But when, beyond doubt, did the term Tar Heel begin to be applied to North Carolinians? Clearly during the Civil War. In the third volume of Walter Clark's Histories of the Several Regiments from North Carolina in the Great War, 1861 to 1865, published in 1901, James M. Ray of Asheville records two incidents in 1863 that suggest the nickname's original application. In a fierce battle in Virginia, where their supporting column was driven from the field, North Carolina troops stood alone and fought successfully. The victorious troops were asked in a condescending tone by some Virginians who had retreated, "Any more tar down in the Old North State, boys?" The response came quickly: "No, not a bit; old Jeff's bought it all up." "Is that so? What is he going to do with it?" the Virginians asked. "He's going to put it on you'ns heels to make you stick better in the next fight."