PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Plumlee on Duke Blue Planet

slower
01-16-2012, 11:03 AM
If you don't watch the Duke Blue Planet videos after each game, you are missing the awesome comedic talent of Marshall Plumlee. Sure, we all enjoyed watching Nolan and Lance and the rest goof around over the past couple of seasons, but Marshall is in another league. His interactions with the other players, particularly with his brothers and Dre, are fantastic. What a treat. My new favorite player (redshirt category).

Ichabod Drain
01-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Duke Blue Planet is amazing and I agree Marshall has a real personality. it's going to be nice having hime for five years (hopefully).

stillcrazie
01-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Glad you mentioned this, because I look forward to Marshall's interviews on these videos more than the game highlights. He is particularly hilarious on the video from last night's game. Loved the comparison between his JV tennis game and Dawkins's shooting.

ice-9
01-16-2012, 11:28 AM
"No one outdances Marshall Plumlee."

LOL this kid has a future in television, hopefully after a long, successful tenure in the NBA and five years of awesome at Duke. ;)

slower
01-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Glad you mentioned this, because I look forward to Marshall's interviews on these videos more than the game highlights. He is particularly hilarious on the video from last night's game. Loved the comparison between his JV tennis game and Dawkins's shooting.

The JV tennis bit was pure comedy gold. I also love to see him interview Mason, because Mason will inevitably make his bemused "irritating little brother" face.

Chris Randolph
01-16-2012, 12:14 PM
I just watched the top plays video from last night's game and was rushing to the board to post on Marshall. Kid is witty and thinks well on his feet. His humor and passion in practice and from the bench are a definite asset to this team. With his character, work ethic and developing skill set I see him being a nice player for Duke down the road

ricks68
01-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Hey mods and Julio, am I missing it or is there no link to Duke Blue Planet in your Links section? If I am correct, then you need to add it. If I am not correct, then would someone please point out my stupidity and let me know where it is located. Thanks.

ricks

somf4eva
01-16-2012, 01:47 PM
I also look forward to Marshall after each game as much as the highlights.

his line about famous jump shots a few weeks ago had me rolling. I look forward to him continuing to do these videos and hope we will get a chance to see is jokes on the underclassmen once he has been playing for a few years.

slower
01-16-2012, 01:52 PM
You know, I'm surprised that ESPN hasn't gotten wind of Marshall's skills and given him some airtime. Of course, K might not like that idea so much (distraction, etc.).

NSDukeFan
01-16-2012, 02:50 PM

Marshall rocks!

Delmer
01-16-2012, 03:08 PM
The JV tennis bit was pure comedy gold. I also love to see him interview Mason, because Mason will inevitably make his bemused "irritating little brother" face.

Witnessed Marshall playing JV tennis- and he was a 'wall' at the net while playing doubles. All around great kid.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Hey mods and Julio, am I missing it or is there no link to Duke Blue Planet in your Links section? If I am correct, then you need to add it. If I am not correct, then would someone please point out my stupidity and let me know where it is located. Thanks.

ricks

Here you are, sir! http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/default.asp

ricks68
01-16-2012, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the help as usual, DITBD, but it was easy enough to find on my own already. I was just pointing out that DBR should have a link to Duke Blue Planet in the Links section, if it is not already there somewhere. Good to hear from you again.:)

ricks

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the help as usual, DITBD, but it was easy enough to find on my own already. I was just pointing out that DBR should have a link to Duke Blue Planet in the Links section, if it is not already there somewhere. Good to hear from you again.:)

ricks
I understood, but wanted to be of service. ;)

I'm still here ..... continuing with my second lining and undercover work. :cool:

mapei
01-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Love that video and, as a former tennis player, hey, those really are pressure situations! Funny guy - smart, too.

OldPhiKap
01-16-2012, 08:32 PM
That was pretty funny. Not sure how Andre gave that answer with a straight face.

Newton_14
01-16-2012, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the link D! I enjoyed that. Marshall is a riot. I look forward to the days when he gets to play. We may have a sleeper on our hands that surprises. Nice to see the guys having fun.

MCFinARL
01-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Marshall is very funny--and this is a good example of one of the things I think is great about Duke Blue Planet--it looks to me like a great way to keep players involved and engaged when, for whatever reason, they aren't getting on the court as much as they might like or at all. This year we have seen a lot of interviews by Marshall and Alex. Last year Kyrie did a lot of interviews when he couldn't play. Josh and others have made entertaining appearances as well.

ACCBBallFan
01-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Great way to keep the red-shirts Marshall Plumlee and Alex Murphy a fun part of the team.

As others have said, fine chemistry with Dre and MP3 and another one whre I think it was Quinn who said he can't wiat to throw some alley oops to Alex next year.

watzone
01-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Here is another video chat I had with Marshall the other day where he talks of his brothers and the life of a redshirt - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/01/one-on-one-with-marshall-plumlee-of-duke/ He's a great kid and it's worth a look.

Dr. Tina
01-17-2012, 10:15 PM
So glad someone posted about the comedic abilities of MP3! He's very quick-witted, and I particularly love how he always finds a way to pat his own back in his interviews. My favorite quote of this last video:

"I played JV tennis. I've been in match points. I've been in tie breakers. I know how to handle pressure when the game is on the line. And, Andre, obviously like, it's on a smaller scale than you."

I burst out laughing when he said this...lololol

gep
01-18-2012, 12:43 AM
Here is another video chat I had with Marshall the other day where he talks of his brothers and the life of a redshirt - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/01/one-on-one-with-marshall-plumlee-of-duke/ He's a great kid and it's worth a look.

THANK YOU, WATZONE!!! What a great kid that Marshall is. That Plumlee family must be something great. I can only imagine what goes on when all 3 brothers are at home "relaxing"... (barely killing eachother:cool:)

NSDukeFan
01-18-2012, 08:44 AM
So glad someone posted about the comedic abilities of MP3! He's very quick-witted, and I particularly love how he always finds a way to pat his own back in his interviews. My favorite quote of this last video:

"I played JV tennis. I've been in match points. I've been in tie breakers. I know how to handle pressure when the game is on the line. And, Andre, obviously like, it's on a smaller scale than you."

I burst out laughing when he said this...lololol

I agree this was a fabulous post, but I have to amend it a bit. Part of the humor was that he started off saying how he was giving everyone some "Marshall trivia" and the end of the quote is that he said to Andre that "it's on a smaller scale with you" as it couldn't possibly compare to Marshall's JV tennis exploits. He is great.

summerwind03
01-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Absolutely hysterical. Thanks for posting.

yancem
01-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Has anyone heard any reports about how he is progressing in practice. I know that practice is different than games but I would think that you could get pretty good feel for how he's doing based on how he's fairing against his older brothers in scrimmages.

SilkyJ
01-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Latest DBP video up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwFNFeL6cbs&feature=uploademail).

Marshall's latest is new stats for Tyler Thornton: 21 hustle pts/game, 7 defensive stops per game, and 3.8 crowd pleasers/game. Of course, Marshall averages 30 high 5s per game so...

NSDukeFan
01-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Latest DBP video up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwFNFeL6cbs&feature=uploademail).

Marshall's latest is new stats for Tyler Thornton: 21 hustle pts/game, 7 defensive stops per game, and 3.8 crowd pleasers/game. Of course, Marshall averages 30 high 5s per game so...

That was a classic! I love Marshall's chat with Todd. Fabulous.

Bluedog
01-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Marshall is great! Even though he hasn't played in a game yet, I'm sure he'll immediately be a crowd favorite when he gets on the court next season. Incidentally, Duke Blue Planet also has a video of Gerald and Maggette dunks since they watched the game yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRtnsfZi5io&feature=relmfu

Those guys could seriously dunk. If Dawkins was T'ed up for his dunk, those Maggette dunks MUST have gotten a T, right? haha. Pull up on the rim and then slap the backboard after the jam. If he did get the T, at least he made them worthwhile and memorable, that's for sure.

Zeb
01-20-2012, 10:51 AM
I have not been watching Blue Planet highlights this season--big mistake. Marshall is like the funniest kid in the dorm. Now I have a new favorite player.

These videos are a cool glimpse into team dynamics. We are so lucky as fans to root for a team that makes us proud both on and off the court.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-20-2012, 10:51 AM
If Dawkins was T'ed up for his dunk, those Maggette dunks MUST have gotten a T, right? haha. Pull up on the rim and then slap the backboard after the jam. If he did get the T, at least he made them worthwhile and memorable, that's for sure.

Yup, Maggette definitely got a T in that UF game (at least I think it was UF). He only had 1 year of dunks vs. G's 3 years, but man he was nasty. He's still one of my favorite BDOAT.

Lord Ash
01-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Corey did indeed pick up a tech for the pull-up one.

And yeah, Marshall is a real cut-up. Enjoy the DBP bits almost as much for him as for the actual highlights.

flyingdutchdevil
01-20-2012, 11:06 AM
"We got two landlords in the building"

Marshall is incredibly charismatic - glad we have him for 5 years!

snowdenscold
01-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Wow, that "Rawwwrrrr!!!! [switch to serious mode] Todd, that's what you were quoted as saying after your block" bit was hilarious.

Good thing I was on mute for this work call =)

UrinalCake
01-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Yup, Maggette definitely got a T in that UF game (at least I think it was UF).

Prior to the game Elton Brand had made a bet with him that he couldn't touch the top of the backboard during the game. He knew he was going to get a T but didn't even care. Man, it's too bad Dahntay Jones wasn't there too, that would have given us the three most explosive players Duke has had in the last 20 years, and maybe ever.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Prior to the game Elton Brand had made a bet with him that he couldn't touch the top of the backboard during the game. He knew he was going to get a T but didn't even care. Man, it's too bad Dahntay Jones wasn't there too, that would have given us the three most explosive players Duke has had in the last 20 years, and maybe ever.

An interesting idea for an offseason board tourney perhaps? Most explosive Dukie?

lotusland
01-20-2012, 02:48 PM

Grant?

OldPhiKap
01-21-2012, 02:01 PM
That Wake one was even funnier than the Clemson one.

And Josh is still one of my favorite players -- can't wait to see him grow over the next few years.

OldPhiKap
01-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Another good one after the Terp game. Guy is sly.

Must be the most talkative of the Plumli, which will be interesting to see when he is the anchor of the backline next year.

MCFinARL
01-28-2012, 09:48 AM
I definitely enjoy Marshall's sense of humor, but I am a bit concerned, now that he has done three in a row, that DBP might be going toward too much of a good thing. As funny as he is, Marshall could start to seem less fresh and entertaining if he does all of the Blue Planet interviews--I have really enjoyed seeing the mike get shared around among the players and hope it continues to be.

dukeballboy88
01-28-2012, 10:05 AM
So Marshall has been officially redshirted?

I love how he has a serious approach to a funny interview.

SupaDave
01-28-2012, 11:04 AM
I definitely enjoy Marshall's sense of humor, but I am a bit concerned, now that he has done three in a row, that DBP might be going toward too much of a good thing. As funny as he is, Marshall could start to seem less fresh and entertaining if he does all of the Blue Planet interviews--I have really enjoyed seeing the mike get shared around among the players and hope it continues to be.

He's a freshmen in college. EVERYDAY is new! I doubt seriously he'll lose his ummmm comedic edge. Obviously he has a lot of time to sit and think about it during the game.

Let's just enjoy Duke's version of Bill Walton for now.

Bluedog
01-28-2012, 11:51 AM

One cannot apply for a redshirt until the season is over. There is no form to fill out ahead of time. The plan is for him to redshirt unless there are decimating injuries, but nothing is official until all the paperwork is done and the NCAA has granted the redshirt season (which happens after the season).

mongoalie
01-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Okay, is lil ole Marshall not the funniest DUKEr I've yet seen!?! Some of 'em Blue Devil Planet interviews is silly funny. I like my Stephen Colbert, but that young Marshall boy, he be makin' me check for his updates everyday!

love,
Seenee Chort

Newton_14
01-28-2012, 10:46 PM

Search Function (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?26631-Alex-Murphy/page11&highlight=Redshirt)

dukeballboy88
01-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by dukeballboy88

One cannot apply for a redshirt until the season is over. There is no form to fill out ahead of time. The plan is for him to redshirt unless there are decimating injuries, but nothing is official until all the paperwork is done and the NCAA has granted the redshirt season (which happens after the season).

Thanks Bluedog

I didnt know the rules or how the redshirt process worked. I just new he looked like he was in uniform and ready to play every game.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-03-2012, 12:26 PM
It looks like the light hearted interviews following the Top Plays videos have been put on hold following the St. John's game. That's the gist I'm getting from their absence below and Watzone's report (http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/02/a-team-victory-for-duke/)on how other priveledges have been taken away following that performance.

I'll trade games like last night for comedic postgame interviews anyday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHK5WOrQLbQ

1999ballboy
02-03-2012, 02:38 PM
I'm guessing that the DBP interviews counted as social media, which the team banned after St. John's.

UrinalCake
02-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Other reports described the ban on social media as a player decision, not one dictated by the coaches. There was no punishment or "privileges taken away," it was a decision by the players to focus more on the team.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Other reports described the ban on social media as a player decision, not one dictated by the coaches. There was no punishment or "privileges taken away," it was a decision by the players to focus more on the team.

Even the ice cream? No one turns down ice cream!

I can see the social media being a player choice, but I'm sensing an overall belt tightening by the program (ie K) not so much just a team choice. I have nothing to back this up other than a hunch and knowledge of Duke bball history.

OldPhiKap
02-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Even the ice cream? No one turns down ice cream!

I can see the social media being a player choice, but I'm sensing an overall belt tightening by the program (ie K) not so much just a team choice. I have nothing to back this up other than a hunch and knowledge of Duke bball history.

I suspect it came from the captains. The extent to which it was "suggested" by a member of the coaching staff, or not, will probably not be known until after the season.

UrinalCake
02-03-2012, 10:55 PM
I would be surprised if it came from the coaches. Duke has embraced technology and marketing as much as any school in the country. The athletic department just launched Blue Devil Network, a place for fans to receive streaming content on smart phones and iPads. Coach K has a radio show on Sirius. I've heard him talk about how recruiting has changed due to texting and twittering and how his coaches have adapted. The team traveled to China, in large part to support the launch of a business school in China. Duke is everywhere, and it'd be pretty hypocritical of the coaches to then tell the players that they're not allowed to tweet.

slower
06-10-2012, 06:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0lJ1TFxnICo

Marshall's back on Duke Blue Planet, with special guests Jon Scheyer, Lance Thomas, Brian Zoubek and Nolan Smith.

MarkD83
06-10-2012, 07:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0lJ1TFxnICo

Marshall's back on Duke Blue Planet, with special guests Jon Scheyer, Lance Thomas, Brian Zoubek and Nolan Smith.

This video is a great testament to what you lose if you go early to the NBA.

dcdevil2009
06-10-2012, 07:31 PM
This video is a great testament to what you lose if you go early to the NBA.

Coach K[yrie] might not completely agree with you there (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX22jb4_VxA&feature=relmfu).

lotusland
06-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Looking forward to finding out what Marshall can do this year. He looks like he's added some muscle as advertised. The battle for PT in the post should be intense this year between MP3, Alex, Josh and Amile vying for limited minutes behind MP2 and Ryan.

CDu
06-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Looking forward to finding out what Marshall can do this year. He looks like he's added some muscle as advertised. The battle for PT in the post should be intense this year between MP3, Alex, Josh and Amile vying for limited minutes behind MP2 and Ryan.

Well, I suspect that Murphy will see a fair amount of time at the SF spot. Especially if Dawkins redshirts. It'll still be a crowded frontcourt picture with 3 guys battling for 2 backup spots. But it'll be a little less crowded with Murphy not in the picture.

UrinalCake
06-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Awesome video. Zoubek looks quite a bit bigger than Marshall. The beard advice was hilarious! Is Kyle still in Spain?

slower
11-27-2012, 10:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IEPKkeyZs

More classic Marshall (talking about the Atlantis trophy):

Mason: "It's a shell, not a shellfish."

Marshall: "YOU don't know what's in there!"

ramdevil
11-27-2012, 10:25 AM
MVP = ?

Watch the video to find out... hilarious!