PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs Clemson (Jan 15, 2012)

Bob Green
01-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Who was the Man-of-the-Match in Duke's 73-66 victory over Clemson?

Newton_14
01-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Had to go with Andre tonight. Very solid performance. Knocked down big 3's (including the biggest 3 of the night in front of the Duke bench to stop a Clemson run with under 2 to go).

Well done Andre!

Ultrarunner
01-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Andre stepped up big tonight. If the unofficial stats are right, Andre was our leader in blocked shots?.....And Mason hit all his free throws?

See, this is what I love about college ball. Now I just have to make a decision.

CLW
01-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Voted Andre but a strong performance by Miles as well.

weezie
01-15-2012, 08:38 PM
All the above are true but Mason settling down is big for the team.

Bob Green
01-15-2012, 08:38 PM
My vote went to my favorite Blue Devil Mr. Andre Dawkins! He played a whale of a game. Congratulations and well done.

Ultrarunner
01-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Voted Andre but a strong performance by Miles as well.

Miles is channeling his inner Zoubs. Monster rebounding game and a couple of beautiful tap outs.

feldspar
01-15-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm giving it to Mason. Going 4-for-4 from the free throw line gets my vote for the big man.

magjayran
01-15-2012, 09:15 PM
Several guys did the right things tonight but any answer other than Dre is wrong. Miles' rebounds and Mason's free throws were great but Andre kept hitting big shots and made some good defensive plays as well.

I loved how much fun he was having too.

devildeac
01-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Easy vote for me for Dawkins. Best supporting actor to Miles for the 14 boards (and the phantom elbow).

JNort
01-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Also went with Dre-Day. Played good on offense and defense. Really gave Quinn serious thought for MOTM as well as Mason and Miles

doctorhook
01-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Was that Ryan's girlfriend that voted for him or did someone just hit the wrong circle?

captmojo
01-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Andre.
Kudos to Miles for showing restraint.

ACCBBallFan
01-15-2012, 09:44 PM
From a pure metrics standpoint, Dre runs away with it. When one factors in +/-, several Duke players played well:

Duke Clemson +/- Metrics Total Duke
56 (54) +2 55 57 Andre Dawkins, G
66 (54) 12 43 55 Seth Curry, G
54 (40) 14 40 54 Mason Plumlee, F

40 (35) +5 38 43 Miles Plumlee, F

32 (24) +8 30 38 Quinn Cook, G
46 (48) (2) 38 36 Ryan Kelly, F
46 (39) +7 29 36 Austin Rivers, G

21 (22) (1) 16 15 Tyler Thornton, G

02 (7) (5) 03 (2) Josh Hairston, F
02 (7) (5) 02 (3) Michael Gbinije, G-F

365 (330) 35
73 (66) 7

magjayran
01-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Was that Ryan's girlfriend that voted for him or did someone just hit the wrong circle?

Welcome to DBR Lindsey!

OldPhiKap
01-15-2012, 10:31 PM

No, I am the one (so far) that voted for Ryan. I thought he played a solid game after the starters came back in around the first TV time out in the first half. Most consistent player when they came back in (Miles close behind him). He set the tone.

Glad Andre hit some big shots -- and he certainly did -- but I think Ryan pulled us back from the hole we were in with his play an dhis attitude. Sorry if you disagree.

And, to add more that I am sure you will disagree, the T for pulling up on the rim was both an easy call and a really unnecessary immature play. A leader does not do that. Hell, many of them would just simply lay it up and get back on D.

elvis14
01-15-2012, 11:05 PM
I voted for Andre...that was obvious. Honorable mention goes to Miles who played very well and showed the leadership everyone is looking for.

1999ballboy
01-16-2012, 01:37 AM
Andre gets it despite the T for the dunk, which I agree was immature. And none of this "I'm glad he's showing confidence!" crap either. Andre has always been confident and at times downright cocky; now he needs to be mature. Those who think he's inconsistent because he isn't are misdiagnosing the problem. Still, a brilliant all-around game for him. Despite all of his threes, I think his play of the game was his goaltending call. It was a really close call and a great hustle play whether the basket counted or not.

Miles played great D and worked hard in the post, but man was he sloppy with his hands tonight- an area he has generally been improving in.

ricks68
01-16-2012, 03:11 AM
Andre.
Kudos to Miles for showing restraint.

Did anyone else notice the big difference in the way Miles set his picks in this game? He deliberately planted his feet and stood still on every pick. He made sure that he was not going to be called for a moving pick violation after what happened in the last game. Super kudos to Miles for that.:)

Still voted for Andre, however.

ricks

NSDukeFan
01-16-2012, 08:31 AM
My vote went to my favorite Blue Devil Mr. Andre Dawkins! He played a whale of a game. Congratulations and well done.
I thought for sure your favorite Blue Devil was Miles. I am shocked. I guess they are all close to favorites.

No, I am the one (so far) that voted for Ryan. I thought he played a solid game after the starters came back in around the first TV time out in the first half. Most consistent player when they came back in (Miles close behind him). He set the tone.

Glad Andre hit some big shots -- and he certainly did -- but I think Ryan pulled us back from the hole we were in with his play an dhis attitude. Sorry if you disagree.

And, to add more that I am sure you will disagree, the T for pulling up on the rim was both an easy call and a really unnecessary immature play. A leader does not do that. Hell, many of them would just simply lay it up and get back on D.

I thought for sure you would give it to Mason for his free throw shooting.

weezie
01-16-2012, 09:10 AM

OPK, spot on. Ryan and Miles are giving the others a sense of control and balance.

ArkieDukie
01-16-2012, 09:27 AM
OPK, spot on. Ryan and Miles are giving the others a sense of control and balance.

Excellent point, weezie. The announcers mentioned at one point that Miles was being very vocal on the floor. I view that as a positive development for sure, and not something that we would necessarily see when watching on TV. I have noticed that all other aspects of Miles' game have improved over the last several games, and I'm beyond thrilled to hear that his on-court leadership is making strides as well. As for Ryan, I'm a huge fan of his game. He's not immune to making mistakes, but he also does a lot of the little things that don't necessarily show up on the stat sheet.

PADukeMom
01-16-2012, 09:30 AM
My vote is for Dre. Getting a few splinters in his backside did wonders for him. Kudos to K and his Jedi mind skills. I missed the dunk. It is hard to watch football at the same time.

OldPhiKap
01-16-2012, 10:14 AM
I thought for sure you would give it to Mason for his free throw shooting.

Mason deserves major props for this, agreed. I am very happy for him and hope this relaxes him at the line.

doctorhook
01-16-2012, 11:12 AM

Actually I agree with you about Dre' dunk, etc. I understand that intangibles count for a lot, but I thought Ryan was not assertive enough and the phantom flop was ugly. Ryan also was a -2 if you like to use stats. Nothing against Ryan but Andre was my choice.

OldPhiKap
01-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Actually I agree with you about Dre' dunk, etc. I understand that intangibles count for a lot, but I thought Ryan was not assertive enough and the phantom flop was ugly. Ryan also was a -2 if you like to use stats. Nothing against Ryan but Andre was my choice.

I can't blame anyone voting for Dre. I hope this sets him off on a 12 week rampage of scoring and domination.

pamtar
01-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Great game by all, except Rivers. Had to go with Dre though. His scoring was clutch but his defense won my vote. That block against the backboard was LBJ-esque and should not have been called goal tending, imo. His dunk tech was kind of an iffy call as well. Guess K was challenging Dre with his post Uva "best D at Duke" comment.

Kudos to Mason on the FTs, as well as Curry and Miles for doing what they always do.

Bob Green
01-16-2012, 12:07 PM
I thought for sure your favorite Blue Devil was Miles. I am shocked.

Miles is a close second. It seems my favorites are always guards.