PDA

View Full Version : Advice on London hotels

Jarhead
01-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Mrs. Jarhead and I are going to England this summer, and we will be staying in London for four nights checking in on June 4, 2012. I could use a little advice on hotels near the Marble Arch. Our search on-line yields some pretty expensive locations. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/icon/question.gif

diablesseblu
01-15-2012, 08:03 PM
London's my favorite city in the world and would love to help. Any budget parameters?

The MA area is pricey, but then again, taxis are beyond expensive in London. How are you planning to spend your time?

weezie
01-15-2012, 08:36 PM
London is pretty well served by the underground, no matter where you are.

We love, love, love Dukes Hotel, but everything in London is $$$.

Fab martinis in the iconic bar.

diablesseblu
01-15-2012, 09:12 PM
London is pretty well served by the underground, no matter where you are.

We love, love, love Dukes Hotel, but everything in London is $$$.

Fab martinis in the iconic bar.

Dukes is where I always stay! It's expensive but worth it to me. And yes, those martinis are amazing but I can only handle one.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Mrs. Jarhead and I are going to England this summer, and we will be staying in London for four nights checking in on June 4, 2012. I could use a little advice on hotels near the Marble Arch. Our search on-line yields some pretty expensive locations. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/icon/question.gif
June 4th! Ahh, I know that date well! It'll be CheerLeaderDaughter's and DukeDiv201x's first anniversary, and our 35th :cool:

But I cant help you with a London hotel. Enjoy your trip!

Jarhead
01-15-2012, 11:58 PM
London's my favorite city in the world and would love to help. Any budget parameters?

The MA area is pricey, but then again, taxis are beyond expensive in London. How are you planning to spend your time?
We have stumbled on the Hilton London Green Park Hotel that seems to be reasonably priced. It is right in the heart of the places we want to visit, and it is just about a minute or two walking to the nearest Underground station. We'll be using the Underground getting around, and we hope to see a West End show on three of the four nights. I expect to book that room in the Hilton in another day or so, but we'll check out Dukes, too. The rest of our time in the British Isles we'll be on an Insight land tour through England, Scotland including the Highlands, Wales, and Ireland including Northern Ireland. When we get back home, we'll start on a new bucket list.

weezie
01-16-2012, 09:28 AM
we'll check out Dukes, too.

At least for a drink before one of your plays. Maybe diablesseblu and I can get over and meet you there.

Sounds like a wonderful trip!

devildeac
01-16-2012, 10:13 AM
At least the exchange rate is a bit more favorable now at about 1.6:1. When we went several years ago, it was nearly 1.9:1. That made our modest Marriott hotel near the Marble Arch rather spendy, in addition to meals and the few shows we saw. Make sure you take the Underground over to near the Brick Lane area (not sure you can get closer than about 5 blocks or so) and partake of some fine Indian cuisine.

diablesseblu
01-16-2012, 12:02 PM
In case you haven't been there, I always suggest visitors tour the Cabinet War Rooms. The location is convenient and it's one of the best small museums I've encountered.

The Imperial War Museum is also terrific but it's across the river.

You're going to have a great trip. Am very jealous (confirmed Anglophile here). ;-)

devildeac
01-16-2012, 10:48 PM
At least the exchange rate is a bit more favorable now at about 1.6:1. When we went several years ago, it was nearly 1.9:1. That made our modest Marriott hotel near the Marble Arch rather spendy, in addition to meals and the few shows we saw. Make sure you take the Underground over to near the Brick Lane area (not sure you can get closer than about 5 blocks or so) and partake of some fine Indian cuisine.

Looks like you can get closer than 5 blocks:

http://www.click4bricklane.co.uk/

Jarhead
01-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Looks like you can get closer than 5 blocks:

http://www.click4bricklane.co.uk/

I'll put it on our list. I think we have already visited there about 10 years ago. Don't recall the cuisine, though. We were staying at the Tower Bridge Hotel just a little south of Brick Lane. London is one of our favorite European cities to visit, but this is the first time we are booking our own hotel accommodations. We went ahead last night and booked the four nights at the Hilton London Green Park Hotel. It's five minutes on foot from the Marble Arch, but we'll only go there for a snapshot or two.

The rest of our trip in the British Isles will consist of a 17 day tour that takes us through England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland including Northern Ireland, but getting there will be a majestic round trip on the Queen Mary 2, a total of 14 days. It costs about the same as flying over to Heathrow and we don't have to spend a dime on feeding ourselves. As far as I am concerned, it is five star dining, and there are no strange rocks jutting out in shallow waters to sink us. Rumor has it that the Captain of the QM2 is automatically hand cuffed to the helm in an emergency.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/eusa/whistle.gif

We're plank owners on that ship, and we have been on board every year since it was launched in 2004, except last year. Unexpected surgery for Mrs. Jarhead caused the cancellation of a similar, but shorter, trip. When we received the trip insurance refund, we decided to double down for this year. Next year we'll be taking a Gray Line tour of Greensboro.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Definitely check out Brick Lane for a curry.

Also, the view from the cafe at the top of the National Portrait Gallery is pretty great.