PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Clemson Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Bob Green
01-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Duke heads to Clemson tomorrow to take on the Tigers in Littlejohn Coliseum. Here are links to the game notes and full game notes at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205360658&DB_OEM_ID=4200

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/814446.pdf?ATCLID=205360658&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Tip-off is at 6:05 pm. The Vegas odds and over/under for the game have not yet posted but you will be able to see them here (http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke) when they become available.

gotoguy
01-14-2012, 12:46 PM
The Tigers opened the ACC season at home with a 20 point drubbing of FSU and then lost on the road at BC by 2. They have also lost to Coastal Carolina and College of Charleston at home. They will have the emotional edge tomorrow evening. This is always a difficult place for the Devils to play well. If we can win here I'll be impressed. I don't think play Clemson at Cameron this year. A good test of our mettle after the tight game Thursday.

Reviewing the game notes linked by Bob, I noted that Duke has won 10 of the last 11 played at Littlejohn. My memory must be getting hazy or perhaps the losses seem more memorable than the wins.

Duvall
01-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Reviewing the game notes linked by Bob, I noted that Duke has won 10 of the last 11 played at Littlejohn. My memory must be getting hazy or perhaps the losses seem more memorable than the wins.

That'll happen when you had an eleven-year winning streak against a team.

OldPhiKap
01-14-2012, 03:41 PM
I went to a Duke game at Littlejohn a few years ago, we pulled it out by a whisker. Really great atmosphere there, tough tough venue.

i am really surprised that our record is so good there.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-14-2012, 03:45 PM
I went to a Duke game at Littlejohn a few years ago, we pulled it out by a whisker. Really great atmosphere there, tough tough venue.

i am really surprised that our record is so good there.
Our record is great just about EVERYWHERE since 1986!

Saratoga2
01-14-2012, 03:46 PM
We should all recognize that while good, we are beatable by virtually any conference team, particularly on the road. Improvements in Mason's foul shooting, things becoming more normalized at the point and better shooting from our guards will help us become more dominant. The biggest keys involve working on the defense and rebounding. Lets hope the guys are learning from their mistakes and can build on their successes. Go Duke!

jv001
01-14-2012, 09:34 PM
I just hope Duke comes out focused and plays hard. I imagine Michigan State, Michigan, Temple and Florida wished they had today. All suffered losses. Kentucky was trailing by 6 at half before winning by 3 against a bad Tenn. team. Kansas was losing by 3 at home before beating Iowa State. In the Temple loss, they were down 14 at half before losing by 11 to Richmond. It just shows that in college basketball if you let a inferior team stay in the game in the early stages they get confidence in themselves. The basket seems to get bigger and they think they can't miss. This is especially true if the underdog is playing at home. We had better bring our "A" game tomorrow and jump on Clemson early. Don't let them get that confidence. GoDuke!

1 24 90
01-14-2012, 09:41 PM
I just hope Duke comes out focused and plays hard. I imagine Michigan State, Michigan, Temple and Florida wished they had today. All suffered losses. Kentucky was trailing by 6 at half before winning by 3 against a bad Tenn. team. Kansas was losing by 3 at home before beating Iowa State. In the Temple loss, they were down 14 at half before losing by 11 to Richmond. It just shows that in college basketball if you let a inferior team stay in the game in the early stages they get confidence in themselves. The basket seems to get bigger and they think they can't miss. This is especially true if the underdog is playing at home. We had better bring our "A" game tomorrow and jump on Clemson early. Don't let them get that confidence. GoDuke!

Correction: Florida finally won a road game today at South Carolina. I believe it was their fifth try this season and they finally got one.

roywhite
01-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Paging Klemnop...

One of the best visitors around; hope he stops by pre- or post-game.
The anguish with which he recounts the annual frustrations for the Tigers in Chapel Hill alone is worth our friendly support.

OldPhiKap
01-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Paging Klemnop...

One of the best visitors around; hope he stops by pre- or post-game.
The anguish with which he recounts the annual frustrations for the Tigers in Chapel Hill alone is worth our friendly support.

True. Still waiting for him to hang nekked from the Bell Tower when they win in CH.

gofurman
01-14-2012, 11:45 PM
The Tigers opened the ACC season at home with a 20 point drubbing of FSU and then lost on the road at BC by 2. They have also lost to Coastal Carolina and College of Charleston at home. They will have the emotional edge tomorrow evening. This is always a difficult place for the Devils to play well. If we can win here I'll be impressed. I don't think play Clemson at Cameron this year. A good test of our mettle after the tight game Thursday.

what you are prolly thinkin' of is the absolute drubbing we took there when they pressed us a few years back and Booker went off (as he did on a lot of people) - we didn't thave the tall men to pass over the press or the ball handlers to bring it up. That was under Purnell. Brownel isn't going to press but is a very good coach. Not a lot of talent this year without D Stitt at guard to start the O. But a win on the road is always good. will be v v tough. ask unc about road games.

important a win solidifies 1st place in acc. a loss blows the cushion we gained over unc today. *no jinxs - no team has made it to 3-0 in acc play. we are last ones with a shot.

gumbomoop
01-15-2012, 01:56 AM
.... important a win solidifies 1st place in acc. a loss blows the cushion we gained over unc today.

Several of us have written that - in what we believe is the first time in a few years - UNC's conference unbalanced mess is a little tougher than Duke's. One of the ways, however, in which Duke's is the tougher applies to Clemson, for the Heels get the Tigers only in CH, whereas Duke plays Clemson only in Littlejohn.

Still assuming that Duke is the team most likely to challenge the Heels for ACC reg season honors, this game is a chance for Duke to gain a bit of an edge. FSU, one of the teams we [probably all] thought had a chance to beat the Heels, certainly did its part, with shocking ease. But the Heels are finished with the 'Noles, while Duke still faces the 'Noles twice later on. So, it's very important for Duke to get a small edge - gofurman's "cushion" - on the Heels [not to mention other top-half teams] by winning in tough, tough Littlejohn.

All we have to do is compare Clemson's easy win over ... FSU ... just a week ago in Littlejohn with their loss to ... BC ... Thurs eve away from Littlejohn.

Duke has much more talent and depth. Clemson does not have big guards, and in fact 2 frosh guards play a lot. Nor do the Tigers have a big front line. But they have home court, and now FSU's inspiring example of how to stick it to the perennial favorites. Of course, for its part, Duke not only has the memory of the 27-point loss in Littlejohn in the '08-'09 season, but now the immediate and perhaps equally "inspiring" example of what can happen if you play as if you can't be bothered.

This game presents an important opportunity to pick up a "schedule disadvantage" win.

Bob Green
01-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Duke is a 6.5 points favorite with the over/under set at 133.5 so Vegas is predicting a final score in the neighborhood of 70 - 63.

RoyalBlue08
01-15-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm just hoping Duke will not be punished by karma for the collective joy its fan base took in UNC's misery yesterday. I wish I was joking about this, but this is truly how I think.

CDu
01-15-2012, 11:41 AM
It doesn't look like Clemson does anything particularly well. They don't shoot well (43% fg, 33% 3pt fg, 70% ft). They don't force turnovers. They don't dominate the paint. Talentwise, they aren't great at the top and they aren't deep. Everything points to a mediocre team, including their record.

They've got a short backcourt with the exception of Tanner Smith, and none are particularly dangerous players. Booker is a decent big man, but not like his older brother. Jennings tends to drift toward the perimeter. It just seems like a bunch of complementary players rather than anyone who can lead the team. But they are well coached and I'm sure will play very hard at home.

This is a game we REALLY need to win. I think we're better at every spot on the floor, including the bench guys. We need to not give them a chance to think they can win tonight.

jipops
01-15-2012, 11:43 AM
I'm just hoping Duke will not be punished by karma for the collective joy its fan base took in UNC's misery yesterday. I wish I was joking about this, but this is truly how I think.

Yea, I'm a little worried about that too. The FSU game still seems too good to be true. A loss at Littlejohn would take some of the joy out of it. Just some. Also, we are still a team in progress trying to figure things out defensively and who we can rely on.

JMarley50
01-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Duke is a 6.5 points favorite with the over/under set at 133.5 so Vegas is predicting a final score in the neighborhood of 70 - 63.

I don't bet on basketball because it is way to unpredictable... But if I did, I think I'd have to take the over on this one. I also think I'd take Duke to cover! Of course I don't think I would ever bet against Duke so that's probably a moot point...

Buzzy Duke
01-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Every road game will be a contest and Little John is always a tough place to play. Let's hope we don't take Clemson too lightly and learned from the UNC - FSU game that any home team can pull an upset in this league.

JNort
01-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Have our starters for this game changed?
Is Cook still starting at pg and Miles at c?

slower
01-15-2012, 03:44 PM
I don't bet on basketball because it is way to unpredictable... But if I did, I think I'd have to take the over on this one. I also think I'd take Duke to cover! Of course I don't think I would ever bet against Duke so that's probably a moot point...

Duke has a losing record against the spread and hasn't once covered or beat the spread on the road.

gep
01-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Are there any links to radio broadcast of the game? Game is only on ESPNU, which I don't get. It's not on ESPN3 schedule... yet... I hope they put it on. Otherwise, I'll check justin.tv. I know one of the prior games only on ESPNU was on justin.tv.:confused:

Bob Green
01-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Duke has a losing record against the spread and hasn't once covered or beat the spread on the road.

I disagree. Duke beat the spread in the games against Michigan and Kansas in Maui:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

Bob Green
01-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Are there any links to radio broadcast of the game?

Try this link for streaming video:

http://www.firstrow.tv/watch/102396/1/watch-%286%29-duke-vs-clemson.html

I watched the Georgia Tech game at that site and intend to use it again today as I recently downsized my cable package and no longer have ESPNU.

devildeac
01-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Let's not forget this one, folks:

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20090204

I'll bet Miles remembers:

Miles Plumlee 12 1-3 0-0 0-0 1-0 1 1 0 0 1 0 2

OldPhiKap
01-15-2012, 04:04 PM

If you had ventured over to IC after our game against tOSU, you'd feel better. FSU was karmic payback for their gloating after we played the Buckeyes.

All is in balance, karma restored. The beast has been fed.

slower
01-15-2012, 04:21 PM
I disagree. Duke beat the spread in the games against Michigan and Kansas in Maui:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

Thought those were considered neutral-site games. Guess I saw stats for true road games, then.

If you look at the same site, go to conference listings, Duke's "Away" record against the spread shows as 0-3.

Tappan Zee Devil
01-15-2012, 04:37 PM

The spread does not reflect an estimate of the score should be. It is what Vegas needs to balance bets. Thus Duke not matching the spread means that people tend to bet on Duke and they can increase the spread to balance it.

AND what Vegas thinks is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT - Wins and losses are what count

Jim

gep
01-15-2012, 05:21 PM
THANKS... Bob and WiJoe...

Bob Green
01-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Thought those were considered neutral-site games.

Yep, they were neutral site games. I was just defining "road game" as anything outside of Cameron. Probably too loose of a definition on my part.

ChrisP
01-15-2012, 06:08 PM
I cannot believe that Rivers took that LooooooooonG three right after that bootay-kicking time out by K.

jjasper0729
01-15-2012, 06:09 PM
i cant believe after seeing what happened in tallahassee yesterday that we've already come out flat and let them go open down the lane and can't rebound

ChrisP
01-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Maybe I will switch over to the Giants-Green Bay game :(

jjasper0729
01-15-2012, 06:11 PM
why are miles and mason handling the ball out at the three point line? ugh

ChrisP
01-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Well, according to the ESPN box score, we currently have more turnovers than rebounds (3 to 1). Yikes! Has anyone else noticed that our defense is, um...it's not....it's not good?

theAlaskanBear
01-15-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm following on gamecast and it looks really bad....

...also really annoying -- doesnt show current lineups.

DukeBlueHeart4
01-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Try this link for streaming video:

http://www.firstrow.tv/watch/102396/1/watch-%286%29-duke-vs-clemson.html

I watched the Georgia Tech game at that site and intend to use it again today as I recently downsized my cable package and no longer have ESPNU.

Is this site being jumpy for you? It's constantly jumping and I don't know why. I can't find it anywhere else.

ChrisP
01-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Ok, I'm going to try REALLY hard not to talk about this anymore but, right now, it certainly seems like 8 on 5. Clemson getting away with LOTS of contact thus far!

mapei
01-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Pretty much getting our butt kicked so far . . .

gep
01-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Is this site being jumpy for you? It's constantly jumping and I don't know why. I can't find it anywhere else.

Link works fine for me on my wired desktop. Video was a bit jumpy on my laptop wireless. Are you wired or wireless... Try wired, if you can.

SMO
01-15-2012, 06:22 PM
How does Miles miss a layup? How does Curry leave the ball behind? These guys have 4 years experience!

grossbus
So very not ready to play. Maybe the heavy morning shootaround took it all out of them. Ugly and disappointing.

ChrisP
We are turning it over at an alarming rate. I really hoped that we'd come out in this one and continue some of the good play we saw in the 2nd half of the UVA game but...I guess not :(

We really seem to have a leadership or chemistry problem on this year's team. I don't remember Duke teams consistently being this flat in big games.

timmy c
01-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Listening to the game on WEEB 990AM.
http://www.weeb990.com/live.php

dairedevil
01-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Sitting in my mom's hospital room and trying to keep up with the game - can't get streaming access on their wifi network. From following on ESPN, it looks awful. Gbinje and Hairston in the game in the first 5 minutes? They must have come out really flat.

jjasper0729
01-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Not sure how many trips to the line we're going to get tonight. We need to not leave so many points there... especially from ryan

theAlaskanBear
01-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Lol a carry call.

DukeBlueHeart4
01-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Link works fine for me on my wired desktop. Video was a bit jumpy on my laptop wireless. Try wired, if you can.

Ugh. Can't find the cable! Not fun watching the game like this. haha

SMO
01-15-2012, 06:26 PM
The turnover machine version of Curry making an early appearance. You can see them coming as soon as he begins to drive and overhandle.

jjasper0729
01-15-2012, 06:29 PM
The turnover machine version of Curry making an early appearance. You can see them coming as soon as he begins to drive and overhandle.

both him and austin driving the circle through the middle of the lane.

DevilWearsPrada
01-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Is there a Justin tv link. Someone please post it. Thank you. I have on the Duke Radio Network.

DukieInBrasil
01-15-2012, 06:30 PM
i cant believe after seeing what happened in tallahassee yesterday that we've already come out flat and let them go open down the lane and can't rebound
we've tightened it up. better d and more flow on offense. i don't see a repeat of yesterday happening here. i fully expect Clemson to give us a tough game.

ChrisP
01-15-2012, 06:34 PM
We absolutlely cannot WAIT to take a long heave of a three. Ugh! How about some patience on offense? Maybe, I don't know, let a Plumlee touch it at least once each possession? Jeez.

SMO
01-15-2012, 06:35 PM
What will it take for them to feed the post instead of launching 28 foot threes?

Tucknut
01-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Worst half I've seen out of Austin all year.

jjasper0729
01-15-2012, 06:37 PM
we've tightened it up. better d and more flow on offense. i don't see a repeat of yesterday happening here. i fully expect Clemson to give us a tough game.

I'm glad we seem to have snapped out of the first 8:00 funk.. that's for sure.

I also agree with the other posters about not feeding the post at least once every posession

DukieInBrasil
01-15-2012, 06:38 PM
I have to say that Hubert Davis is doing a pretty good job calling this game. He's overhyped some of the Duke players, like saying that Dawkins is good at putting it on the floor and going to the rim.

jjasper0729
01-15-2012, 06:39 PM
I have to say that Hubert Davis is doing a pretty good job calling this game. He's overhyped some of the Duke players, like saying that Dawkins is good at putting it on the floor and going to the rim.

But ironically, he is supposed to be good at that. Remember the game in the 2010 tournament first half (forget the opponent) where he was driving hrad and saving our butts?

SMO
01-15-2012, 06:40 PM
A patient offense and running down loose balls can work wonders.

bird
01-15-2012, 06:40 PM
I think Miles is playing great. Perid.

mapei
01-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Hasn't Booker been playing for like 5 years already?

SMO
01-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Think it might be a good idea to at least get a touch in the paint?

ChrisP
01-15-2012, 06:44 PM
I want you guys to watch our big men when they go up for a rebound because they frequently go flying out of bounds due to a shove in the back. It's happened about 3-4 times now in the first half with NO call.

jjasper0729
01-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Think it might be a good idea to at least get a touch in the paint?

Funny... every time we throw it into the paint in a set, we end up with a better shot and even on a miss there's a chance for a board... but when we just throw it up, they get the defensive rebound.

jjasper0729
01-15-2012, 06:47 PM
I want you guys to watch our big men when they go up for a rebound because they frequently go flying out of bounds due to a shove in the back. It's happened about 3-4 times now in the first half with NO call.

saw that happen to miles a couple of times for sure.

Karl Hess is the head official on this crew though so don't look for much help

SMO
01-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Look at that: Kelly drives baseline and kicks to Dre for 3. Great job of opening up space by going into the paint.

jjasper0729
01-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Look at that: Kelly drives baseline and kicks to Dre for 3. Great job of opening up space by going into the paint.

and then seth fires a three with noone under the basket and they get the rebound

mapei
01-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Kelly looks bad today, if not as bad as Austin . . .

jjasper0729
01-15-2012, 06:49 PM

Austin got a lot of pine in the first half too... hope the message was received.

Bomar
01-15-2012, 06:51 PM

I sort of disagree. I think Kelly initiated the spurt that got us rolling again. I really enjoyed his little mid-range jumper toward the beginning of our run.

Dukeface88
01-15-2012, 06:52 PM
and then seth fires a three with noone under the basket and they get the rebound

Wasn't for lack of trying. The guy guarding Mason looked like he was trying to pass block on that play.

DukieInBrasil
01-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Worst half I've seen out of Austin all year.
0 pts 0-2 FG and 2 turns. not very good. pretty terrible.

the_grad_student
01-15-2012, 06:55 PM
14 shots outside the arc, 15 shots inside the arc... well thats one way to not let Mason's free throws burn us (he's lights-out today though :p)

gep
01-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Is there a Justin tv link. Someone please post it. Thank you. I have on the Duke Radio Network.

Try this...

http://www.justin.tv/sportzzworld26

and this one works fine on my laptop wireless...

slower
01-15-2012, 06:57 PM
The spread does not reflect an estimate of the score should be. It is what Vegas needs to balance bets. Thus Duke not matching the spread means that people tend to bet on Duke and they can increase the spread to balance it.

AND what Vegas thinks is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT - Wins and losses are what count

Jim

Shoot the messenger if you want, pal. I was just responding to somebody else's post that they would bet Duke against the spread. I supplied the numbers against the spread. I'm not familiar with the nuances of betting, but if you got the impression that I'm not overly impressed with Duke's recent performances, you're right. And if YOU are happy with the team's recent performances, I guess you just have lower expectations than I do.

Look, maybe they turn it around this season and earn the lofty ranking. Maybe they don't. And maybe they do make it to the Final Four, validating the opinion of some who think that's a legitimate possibility. Maybe they don't. At the moment, I wouldn't bet on it. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

But thanks for the Vegas tutorial.

Saratoga2
01-15-2012, 06:58 PM
I noticed not many rebounds by Mason and we are getting outrebounded again, lots of threes going up and not many attempts in the paint. A lot of turnovers. Austin must not have impressed, since he has been on the bench for a long while. What causes this team to come out so flat?

Hope coach K can get them focused and aggressive. Lets get in the paint and value the ball more. Maybe our depth will work on them later in the game. We have the lead at half so we just need to build on that. Another half to play, with a lot at stake here.

DukeBlueHeart4
01-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Try this...

http://www.justin.tv/sportzzworld26

http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/17390/1/espnu-live-stream-online.html

That works too. The video quality isn't great but I can watch it without getting sick. :-)

Oriole Way
01-15-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm glad K benched Rivers to start the half. Rivers has been playing terribly of late, and he's never been benched after poor turnovers and shots like his teammates have.

Honestly, I'd like to see Rivers benched until further notice until he starts playing more efficiently and less selfishly. He completely stops our ball movement while he dribbles on the perimeter in advance of an isolation move, and he turns the ball over or winds up with a poor shot way too often. He'll get better, but he hasn't earned his starting spot.

Bigdukeboi22
01-15-2012, 07:16 PM
looks to me like were playing better without Austin trying to be Derrick Rose or Allen Iverson, Duke is looking really good this game

Bigdukeboi22
01-15-2012, 07:19 PM
as soon as I open my mouth...Clemson cuts the lead

SMO
01-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Can't stand prosperity and let them back in it. So typical. Mason grabs a board and turns it over. Goodness.

jjasper0729
01-15-2012, 07:22 PM
looks to me like were playing better without Austin trying to be Derrick Rose or Allen Iverson, Duke is looking really good this game

I wonder if teams have seen enough tape to be able to take away that first step of his a little. I noticed against UVa that every time he got ready to drive... EVERY time... he did a head bob and fake and then start his drive. That was freezing the defender the early part of the year, but you notice he's stopped being as adept at using that step and fake. It makes me wonder if people have figured out to just stay home on the fake because it happens all the time.

SMO
01-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Mason makes a nice move and blows the layup. Geez.

DukieInBrasil
01-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Rivers is outta control bad this game.

Son of Mojo
01-15-2012, 07:31 PM
...........not trying to terp, but there's too many phantom fouls in this game against us. Very frustrating to see, particularly with seeing Clemson's hand checks and pushes in the back.

WiJoe
Hubert Davis inhales vigorously - figure it out. ACC Sunday Night Hoops on Fox was MUCH better than these two nincompoops and the bimbo on espnu. espn is BAD, BAD, BAD. Hate 'em. Rivers continues to have NBAitis. Too many bad habits from playing / watching the association.

mapei
Our guys are getting clobbered out there.

ChrisP
01-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Starting to get hosed by the refs! Mason's 4th was totall bogus! And then the next trip down they used Quin as a dang ping pong ball and...apparently, that's a walk (at least in THIS game).

jipops
01-15-2012, 07:32 PM
This could be a very difficult ending to watch. Not feeling good about the foul issues

mapei
01-15-2012, 07:33 PM
I've never seen Kelly so sloppy as tonight. :(

SMO
01-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Yes, the calls have been bad and largely against Duke but they could easily be winning by 15. this is hard to watch.

ChrisP
01-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Yes, the calls have been bad and largely against Duke but they could easily be winning by 15. this is hard to watch.

Well, I don't think it's THAT bad. I really do wish we could stop the unforced TO's though. Andre has thrown it away a couple times for no apparent reason.

mapei
01-15-2012, 07:38 PM
God what a horrible call on Miles.

ChrisP
01-15-2012, 07:39 PM
OMG, what a BS call on Miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is just awful.

SMO
01-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Well, I don't think it's THAT bad. I really do wish we could stop the unforced TO's though. Andre has thrown it away a couple times for no apparent reason.

I meant Duke should be up 15

Son of Mojo
01-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Every replay shows that was a flop........c'mon now.

ChrisP
01-15-2012, 07:41 PM
And the Oscar goes to......Tanner Smith! I guess the refs didn't think that obvious reach-in by Smith merited a whistle!

muzikfrk75
01-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Even Hubert knows that call was ridiculous lol

mapei
01-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Meanwhile Curry got slammed. I cannot believe that was called flagrant.

Native
Duke gets all the calls!

DukieInBrasil
MP I has been called for the clearing the elbow foul several times this year. Kelly clears the ball aggressively but keeps it low to his belly, to prevent that foul. Even though it was a flop, having the elbows high keeps that call in play.

Dukeface88
Seriously, even Hubert Davis thinks that was a flop.

SMO
Flagrant 1 must mean there was no contact. Is a flagrant 2 when you actually hit a guy. Hess should be embarrassed.

pamtar
Wow. I've burped harder than miles elbow.

Mase gets motm regardless of score. Has he missed a ft yet?

ChrisP
I meant Duke should be up 15

Yes, I know what you meant. I agree with you, dude!

mapei
01-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Dawkins is my MOTM.

Son of Mojo
01-15-2012, 07:46 PM
A technical?!?!?!? Good grief............

anon
01-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Technical was the correct call. This team needs to mature big time. Too many stupid, sloppy plays, too much showmanship, too much selfishness.

mapei
Honestly, why don't they just go ahead and give 10 points to Clemson?

jjasper0729
A technical?!?!?!? Good grief............

IDK... when he did the half pull up and yell.. i said technical before the whistle blew

ChrisP
Hess is an a**. Andre needed to hang on there to protect himself. What a ridiculous call!

WiJoe
01-15-2012, 07:48 PM
tech on Dawk is BS. Officiating continues to be BRUTAL.

toughbuff1
01-15-2012, 07:48 PM
That technical was on Daniel Ewing right?

muzikfrk75
01-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Dawkins hanging on the rim was an easy call for the refs...you just can't do that this year and he knows better.

SMO
IDK... when he did the half pull up and yell.. i said technical before the whistle blew

Yep. Maybe a junior should know better, especially when the calls have gone against you all night. Think guys.

Bluedog
I thought it was an iffy call, but Dawk should have not down a pull up on the rim. Would not have been called if he just swung back for safety's sake to not land on tail bone. However, I've seen way way worse hanging on the rim than that and it rarely gets called. But doing those pull ups on the rim is risky business and there's no reason to do it and risk the T.

feldspar
Easy T. If you can't execute a wide open dunk without hanging on the rim, just do a layup.

SupaDave
01-15-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm glad he did it. Coach (and pretty much everyone on this board) has been asking him to be more demonstrative. I'll take it. He has his best games when he acts out. (somehow I feel as if I've written this before...)

theAlaskanBear
01-15-2012, 07:51 PM
I'll gladly accept the T on Dawkins if he staysmore aggressive like that.

RoyalBlue08
Classic Karl Hess game tonight.

ChrisP
I am bummed that Austin is such a bad FT shooter. Ugh!

pamtar
01-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Don't know what's more brutal - reading some of the comments in this thread or the refs. We're playing a great game and some people are nothing but negative. Forgot why I quit reading the in-game like 5 years ago. Thought I'd give it a shot tonight. Guess not. Peace the feltch out...

jjasper0729
I thought banks were closed on Sundays. How many have they hit from that mid range shot tonight?

feldspar
especially when the calls have gone against you all night.

Please tell me you're joking.

jipops
It used to be that when it came down to making free throws we were good to go. That's not really the case anymore.

I have loved the way we have been playing tonight though, on both ends.

SMO
Why burn clock up 9 when you can rush a floater in the lane?

feldspar
01-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Don't know what's more brutal - reading some of the comments in this thread or the refs.

how about reading some of the comments about the refs? Those have been pretty brutal too.

SMO
01-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Please tell me you're joking.

Let me guess, you think a no contact elbow warranted an ejection and criminal investigation.

dcar1985
01-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Dawkins has been solid on D today...big difference from last game even though we've had conflicting views about that on the board regardless of why.....That dunk on the fastbreak in the first half really got him going

anon
01-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Let me guess, you think a no contact elbow warranted an ejection and criminal investigation.

Is it really that black-and-white?

That call was obviously wrong, but the refs have been average overall.

Now let's come out of this timeout and win this game!

mapei
Nightmarish.

jipops
Though now it appears we're going to end the game like we started it. No D and no intensity.

SMO
Great idea Rivers. Launch a 3 up six w/ 20 seconds on the shot clock.

ChrisP
Austin should be YANKED after that horrible 3. What an awful decision there - I don't care if it had gone in. That was really terrible.

feldspar
01-15-2012, 07:57 PM

No, I thought that was a poor call from what I saw but that overall the officiating has been spot on.

mapei
Couldn't agree more about Austin.

WiJoe
Austin should be YANKED after that horrible 3. What an awful decision there - I don't care if it had gone in. That was really terrible.

Absolutely, totally agree.

DukieInBrasil
It seems like Duke wants the ball in Kelly's hands late in the game, but lately it seems like he has been really sloppy withe ball in crunch time.

muzikfrk75
01-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Thank you based Dawkins

SMO
01-15-2012, 07:58 PM
No, I thought that was a poor call from what I saw but that overall the officiating has been spot on.

Contradict much?

feldspar
01-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Contradict much?

Oh please. I can already tell this is not even worth discussing with you.

SMO
01-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Oh please. I can already tell this is not even worth discussing with you.

Spot on!

DukeGirl4ever
01-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Glad I didn't come on here earlier.
Everyone seems to be Negative Nancies.

My honest opinion - once we gained the lead in the first half and established a double digit cushion, I never thought this game was in question.
We went on the road, got a win at a tough place, and had guys make good plays to put us up.

Sure we make bad decisions, but we have youth on our side.

Lighten up folks, it's ACC play and every night is a battle.

throatybeard
01-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Spot on!