PDA

View Full Version : Chalk Talk with Coach Badass

devildeac
01-13-2012, 01:12 AM
Had the chance to attend a pre-game meal in the the new practice facility tonight with about 150 people. For $18 we got a nice buffet dinner, beer, wine, soft drinks, bottled water, cookies and brownies and then had Coach Badass talk for a few minutes and then answer a few questions. Some highlights:

1. Moderate amount of coachspeak.
2. Thought keys to the game were stopping Scott, Harris and Zeglinski and keeping them out of the lane.
3. Said we were still young and they spent a lot of time building trust and team unity and needing a leader, really missing Nolan and Kyle.
4. Said communication needed to improve and that communication was NOT defined as texting each other during team dinners.

Questions were:

1. Did he think the 2 redshirts would hurt recruiting? NO
2. What has been stressed defensively? Communication, stance, maturing and learning the concept of individual D and team D as a lot of HS players were not accustomed to playing D.

Final comment/question by Ozzie was how Coach James was adjusting to his role without C-well there and that he was still a badass. He chuckled, agreed but hoped some of our players would become badasses as the season progressed.

I'm beat now after watching the game and traveling home. If I think of more after a short night of sleep and a looong day at work today, I will add. Ozzie might remember a thing or two that I have forgotten.

SilkyJ
01-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Had the chance to attend a pre-game meal in the the new practice facility tonight with about 150 people. For $18 we got a nice buffet dinner, beer, wine, soft drinks, bottled water, cookies and brownies and then had Coach Badass talk for a few minutes and then answer a few questions. Some highlights:

1. Moderate amount of coachspeak.
2. Thought keys to the game were stopping Scott, Harris and Zeglinski and keeping them out of the lane.
3. Said we were still young and they spent a lot of time building trust and team unity and needing a leader, really missing Nolan and Kyle.
4. Said communication needed to improve and that communication was NOT defined as texting each other during team dinners.

Questions were:

1. Did he think the 2 redshirts would hurt recruiting? NO
2. What has been stressed defensively? Communication, stance, maturing and learning the concept of individual D and team D as a lot of HS players were not accustomed to playing D.

Final comment/question by Ozzie was how Coach James was adjusting to his role without C-well there and that he was still a badass. He chuckled, agreed but hoped some of our players would become badasses as the season progressed.

I'm beat now after watching the game and traveling home. If I think of more after a short night of sleep and a looong day at work today, I will add. Ozzie might remember a thing or two that I have forgotten.

Very cool and very jealous. Thanks for sharing. (And all that for just $18?!)

OldPhiKap
01-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Excellent report dd, much appreciated.

westwall
01-13-2012, 09:38 AM
DevilDeac, I think you may have been one of the questioners. Correct?

devildeac
01-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Very cool and very jealous. Thanks for sharing. (And all that for just $18?!)

Welllll, it was a date with my wife, too, so she was another $18 and she really enjoyed it. The food was good and we thought the cost was reasonable, especially compared to some of the ID events that are $40-50 for pre-game snacks that are worth well less than 1/2 the cost. Plus another $45 each for the game tix but we did get to sit next to Ozzie and listen to him cuss about as much as I did during the game. I think they have about 1/2 dozen scheduled during the season and our next one to attend is in February. We are looking forward to the next one.

devildeac
01-13-2012, 10:19 AM
DevilDeac, I think you may have been one of the questioners. Correct?

Correct. I asked the question about our defensive liabilities so far this year with hedging and difficulty stopping penetration and what the staff had done and will do moving forward to drill/correct/improve those problems.

I assume you were there, too. What were your impressions if you were indeed in attendance?

Lord Ash
01-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Welllll, it was a date with my wife, too, so she was another $18 and she really enjoyed it. The food was good and we thought the cost was reasonable, especially compared to some of the ID events that are $40-50 for pre-game snacks that are worth well less than 1/2 the cost. Plus another $45 each for the game tix but we did get to sit next to Ozzie and listen to him cuss about as much as I did during the game. I think they have about 1/2 dozen scheduled during the season and our next one to attend is in February. We are looking forward to the next one.

Strange.. I always envisioned Ozzie watching games and cheering at absolutely every single moment, positive or negative, with cheers like "Excellent turnover!" and "You did an amazing job dribbling!" and "Great job sitting on that bench, Murph!". Certainly never imagined any cursing! Shocked, I tell you!

Thanks for the report. Interesting to hear that a team that spent so much time together over the summer is still working on developing that rapport.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Coach Badass also said the C-Well was doing well in his NDBL gig and really enjoyed coaching on the bench. Then added that while he missed his "little brother" this year, he was thrilled to have his "big brother" - Coach Capel, there with him. Capel was a senior when James was a freshman, and really mentored him that year!

Food was very good - boneless chicken breasts in a mushroom (soup) sauce with large slices of mushrooms, mashed potatoes, a pasta dish with squash and craisens in it, green beans (really good!) and two salads. The two cookie choices were better than the brownie. Wish they'd expand their beer choices beyond Bud LIght, Coors Light and Landshark Lager. Can't believe I'm dissing the Bud Light after all these years of drinking it. :rolleyes: But free beer is free beer - I had the Landshark!

OZZIE4DUKE
01-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Strange.. I always envisioned Ozzie watching games and cheering at absolutely every single moment, positive or negative, with cheers like "Excellent turnover!" and "You did an amazing job dribbling!" and "Great job sitting on that bench, Murph!". Certainly never imagined any cursing! Shocked, I tell you!

Thanks for the report. Interesting to hear that a team that spent so much time together over the summer is still working on developing that rapport.
devildeac and I agreed that the game was very poorly called, different at both ends. We'd get mauled with few fouls called and our guys got called for touch fouls on them. Well, Miles did get "his moneys worth" on one foul when he caught Stevens in the nose! But when Mason was thrown to the floor at our end with a couple of minutes to go, there was no call on UVA. And we still can't believe the goal tending call (on Ryan) - that ball was 4/5's out of the rim (and off the rim) when he swatted it away. The first non goal tending call, which K went ballistic on, wasn't called when one of their players flushed it while the ball was mostly on the rim. We thought the refs did their best to hose us last night, but our players ignored it, didn't complain (too much) and won anyway. Good for us! A good learning experience, and sign of maturity, for sure.