PDA

View Full Version : SRO tickets for Virginia

killerleft
01-11-2012, 10:36 AM
I'm assuming that anyone else who has bought Duke season tickets in any sport regularly also received an invitation to purchase student seating (standing, of course) for $65 yesterday for tonights Virginia game. The limit was two. I expect that only a couple hundred at most were offered, but I was most pleasantly surprised to see such an offer at all.

Given that several of the less desirable ACC games end up with students not filling up their allotment of "seats", I hope that Duke continues this policy (if that's what it is) of getting some tickets to Duke fans who truly will appreciate the experience. Cameron Indoor should be full for every game. The players and coaches deserve it.

Bluedog
01-11-2012, 11:29 AM
How do they know that the students won't fill up the entire section two days ahead of time? I mean, I would certainly rather be safe and have the section be completely full and let others purchase quality tickets to make the best atmosphere in Cameron as possible, but I don't quite understand how they can predict the turnout so far ahead of time. Anybody know? Classes just began today so I'd think that most students don't have too much work yet, and an opportunity to watch basketball against a top tier ACC opponent on a Thursday night will be appealing to a very large portion of the student body. I don't see this as a "less desirable" ACC matchup; although Virginia's offense is sometimes pretty bad and their D is great, so it could be painful to watch. ;) A Sunday matchup vs. a bottom-dweller like BC during midterms would be a less than desirable ACC matchup and I wouldn't expect the student turnout to be good for that (I don't know if a game like that is actually on the schedule, it was simply for illustrative purposes.)

I recall a few years ago they had people use an online service to indicate if they would attend the game or not, but I don't think it was very reliable, so they scratched it. It would just be a shame if students are turned away because their tickets were sold - but I guess they just need to show up earlier! (And if they filled up every game, then there would be no need to sell the tickets.) I certainly like the practice, but just wonder how the determination is made on when to make the tickets available.

(Sidenote - there was only one Duke game during my undergraduate years that I actually waited in line and was turned away. Against Miami my junior year, I arrived about 2 hrs early, it was the student senior game, so seniors got in first and then they had given away all the non-TV side to football recruits and their families. Now, I realize, the undergrads are all on the TV side, but it's a larger section since the corner endzone isn't filled by grad students anymore. And those guys take up a lot of space, especially since they're obviously sitting instead of standing. I waited the entire 2 hours and then was turned away...That made me bitter...haha. I don't know how crowded games have been this year, but current Duke students, don't let this happen to you Thursday night!)

Dev11
01-11-2012, 12:22 PM
How do they know that the students won't fill up the entire section two days ahead of time?

Greek Rush starts at the beginning of the semester. Generally speaking, freshmen make up the highest percentage of the student section, and freshmen make up the plurality of people involved in rush. The overlap is generally significant enough to warrant selling those spots in the stands where you can't see anyway.

killerleft
01-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Bluedog says:

"I don't see this as a "less desirable" ACC matchup..."

I don't see any matchup in Cameron to be so undesirable that students wouldn't fill up the Indoor Stadium. Nonetheless, there are seats that are usually empty for certain games. Leave 'em empty just in case? Or be proactive and make sure Cameron is filled with some feet on the bleachers? I love the idea of fans who've proven their loyalty through the purchase of season tickets of some kind being offered a chance to see a basketball game live. Many folks would jump at the chance to be a Cameron Crazy for a night.

Bluedog
01-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Greek Rush starts at the beginning of the semester. Generally speaking, freshmen make up the highest percentage of the student section, and freshmen make up the plurality of people involved in rush. The overlap is generally significant enough to warrant selling those spots in the stands where you can't see anyway.

Ah, right, I forgot about rush. Good point! Thanks! Definitely makes sense to sell tickets then as anybody in a sorority (whether a freshmen or not) probably can't go, which is 40% of all females (and probably a larger percentage than that of freshmen are rushing). Fraternities are probably dependent on the particular one as to whether or not they have something scheduled tomorrow night. Definitely a significant percentage of the student body won't be able to go to the game, though. In that case, I certainly agree with being proactive and making sure that the bleachers are full. I knew there was something I was missing.

CameronBornAndBred
01-11-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm assuming that anyone else who has bought Duke season tickets in any sport regularly also received an invitation to purchase student seating (standing, of course) for $65 yesterday for tonights Virginia game.
Jeesh you scared me. I have tickets for that game and am fully ready to go...tomorrow. You had me instantly thinking of excuses for why I am all of a sudden "sick" so I can get to Durham in time.

killerleft
01-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Jeesh you scared me. I have tickets for that game and am fully ready to go...tomorrow. You had me instantly thinking of excuses for why I am all of a sudden "sick" so I can get to Durham in time.

Sorry! I knew it was tomorrow, but didn't let my typing fingers know. But how about "Virginia Fever"?

devildeac
01-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Sorry! I knew it was tomorrow, but didn't let my typing fingers know. But how about "Virginia Fever"?

Or gast-hoo-enteritis:rolleyes:.

Just don't declare your sudden infirmity with a cavalier attitude:rolleyes:.

msdukie
01-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Bluedog says:

I don't see any matchup in Cameron to be so undesirable that students wouldn't fill up the Indoor Stadium.

THIS