PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Virginia Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Saratoga2
01-10-2012, 09:14 AM
I looked forward to this game as the first real test from the ACC schedule. Little did I suspect at the time that GT would give us fits in an away game. Fortunately, we are playing UVa at homeand we may need all the edge we can get. UVa is very well coached and is ranked, although their schedule doesn't show a lot of wins against powerhouses. They did just squeak by Miami at home though.

The parts of the roster which get the most of the playing time are:

1. Scott - ACC player of the week, a 6'8" 237 pound dynamo
2. Harris - a 6'6" 211 pound guard
3. Zeglinski - a 6'1" 184 pound guard
4.- Brogdan - a 6'5" 215 pound guard
5. - Evans - a 5'11" 188 pound guard
6.- Sene - a 7 foot 239 pound center
7. - Harrell - a 6'4" 202 pound guard
8. - Mitchell - a 6'6" 205 pound forward

They have some other bigs on the roster, but beyond these 8, they are not getting a lot of PT.

With Scott and Sene, they match up well with our back line, but Sene is only good for about 20 minutes a game, so we will have a size advantage for about 1/2 the game. We should be able to match up size wise with their PG, but their shooting guards and small forwards may cause us the kind of difficulties we have been seeing of late. Expect a fairly low scoring game, since our shooters will have difficulty going over their guards.

Be interested in any insights going into the match.

OldPhiKap
01-10-2012, 09:17 AM
I think the game is Thursday. But I agree with your post.

Duvall
01-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Be interested in any insights going into the match.

Game is Thursday.

Bob Green
01-10-2012, 09:27 AM
The question I have is who covers Mike Scott? We have seen the difficulty Ryan Kelly has defending quicker opponents so I do not believe he can handle Scott so that means Mason and Miles have to split time with the assignment. When Kelly is in the game, I expect he will be assigned to Assane Sene. Our front court players will need to avoid foul trouble in this game, which hasn't been a problem this season.

weezie
01-10-2012, 09:35 AM
How does Bennett manage to slow the offense so much? That Miami game was pretty much a nap in the first half and it wasn't just on missed shots.
Same way Tony's WA St teams played. It's just incredible how slow the scoring pace is.

superdave
01-10-2012, 02:32 PM
2/28/2010
Duke wins 67-49 in Charlottesville. Duke loses on the boards 31-33 but holds UVa to 31% shooting. Mike Scott was 0-6 in 12 minutes.

3/12/2010
Duke wins 57-46 in the ACCT. The game was tied at the half. Duke won the boards 39-37. Mike Scott was 6-11 for 14 points and 11 boards.

1/15/2011
Duke wins 76-60. We shot 5-20 from 3 but won on the boards 42-31. Scott did not play. Nolan had 29, Andre had 14.

2/16/2011
Duke wins 56-41 in Charlottesville. Duke shot 50% from the field and held UVa to 28%. Duke won the boards 39-29 but had 18 turnovers. No Mike Scott.

jv001
01-10-2012, 04:36 PM
There are some games that Duke plays that I get that funny little feeling about. This is one of those games. Virginia has the best team since Bennett became coach and I consider the Cav coach one of the better coaches in the conference. With their height and length at a couple of positions, we could have trouble defending those particular players. I feel the front court players will probably be a wash. What could make or break us is our ability to make threes. If we're hot, we win. If we're not it could go down to the wire. GoDuke!

wilko
01-10-2012, 05:00 PM
There are some games that Duke plays that I get that funny little feeling about. This is one of those games.

I remember a game where I had the same antsy feelings about.
This one!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXh_86J0QPk)
I fully expected Duke to get bounced... But what happened! A dominating performance!
Was the cheer "1 2 3 4 Shaq cant play this game no more"?

Sometimes you get pleasantly surprised is all I'm saying..

superdave
01-10-2012, 05:06 PM
I fully expected Duke to get bounced... But what happened! A dominating performance!

I miss the days when Duke actually knew how to run.

jv001
01-10-2012, 05:07 PM

I understand completely. I wouldn't have that feeling if Christian and Grant were still playing. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
01-10-2012, 05:09 PM

"Shaq can't slam! Shaq can't slam!"

gumbomoop
01-11-2012, 02:12 AM
... their schedule doesn't show a lot of wins against powerhouses.

The parts of the roster which get the most of the playing time are:

1. Scott - ACC player of the week, a 6'8" 237 pound dynamo
2. Harris - a 6'6" 211 pound guard
3. Zeglinski - a 6'1" 184 pound guard
4.- Brogdan - a 6'5" 215 pound guard
5. - Evans - a 5'11" 188 pound guard
6.- Sene - a 7 foot 239 pound center
7. - Harrell - a 6'4" 202 pound guard
8. - Mitchell - a 6'6" 205 pound forward

Schedule - Kenpom has their SOS as a very weak 327 - compared to Duke's 5 - but I give them some credit for away wins at Oregon and LSU. And beating Michigan at home was impressive.

Harrell transferred out just before Christmas, so Bennett essentially plays 7 guys: 3 bigs and 4 perimeter players. While a 6'8" Fr, Darion Atkins, now plays just enough to say Bennett goes 8 deep, you could say that Josh and Michael also play about the same minutes, and K goes 10 deep. Duke has more depth.

Anyhow, UVa wins with its D, Duke with its O, so far. As 2 of UVa's wings are big guards [shades of Temple?], we'd all like to see some solid D from Andre, Austin, and possibly Michael on Harris and Brogdan. Their top scorers are also pretty good FT-shooters.

Duke's big 3 might block a few shots; not so much from UVa's bigs.

Duke wants it 80-67. UVa wants it in the 50s.

tele
01-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Virginia's slow pace plays to duke's strengths, a front line size and rebounding advantage and three point shooting. Be nice to see Andre have a great game too. Also will be a good defensive test for Duke, will Mason guard Scott?

nocilla
01-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Virginia's slow pace plays to duke's strengths, a front line size and rebounding advantage and three point shooting. Be nice to see Andre have a great game too. Also will be a good defensive test for Duke, will Mason guard Scott?

I would assume so when Kelly is in the game. If Miles is in though he could draw that assignment. Although I think it may be better to keep Mason on him since Miles is better at help defense. The safe bet would be to say that all three bigs will take turns.

CameronDuke
01-11-2012, 11:01 AM
I have watched most of Virginia's games this year. They are definitely the 3rd best team I have seen play this year behind Duke and Carolina. Although their schedule hasn't been daunting thus far, they are gaining confidence with each win and have posted road wins at LSU and Oregon, like others have mentioned. They have also squeaked a few wins out by 5 points or less, most notably a 1 point win over Miami last Saturday.

One notable thing I have noticed about them is their tenacity on defense in half court sets. Tony Bennett's pack line defense forces offenses to slow down and crowds the floor inside the 3 point line preventing cuts and drives to the basket. Virginia also hedges screens really well and they preach defensive rebounding. The key to overcoming their defense will be to beat them on the boards, especially when they miss shots. Their defense is significantly easier to score on in transition after they miss shots and after they turn the ball over. Preventing them from setting up their defense and forcing them into a baseline to Baseline game will benefit Duke.

I think throwing Miles, Mason, and Ryan Kelly at Scott will give him looks that he hasn't had yet. Add in Hairston and we have 4 solid bodies we can mix in on him. He may get his share still, but I'd be surprised to see him erupt for 20+ like he had vs. Miami. Duke needs to be crisper on total team defense and if they are and are knocking down 3s, I could see them winning 70-55. However, if we get forced into a slug it out, half court game, then UVA is capable of hanging around and pulling off an upset. I think Kelly is the key offensively as he presents a matchup problem for Scott and Sene. Neither want to get pulled far away from the basket on defense and he is capable of draining 3s. Look for him to have a solid night.

It will be a battle, no doubt! Let's see how we fare against a ranked conference opponent!

OldPhiKap
01-11-2012, 11:23 AM
I think the key for us will be limiting turn-overs. No drives to nowhere, please.

I would hope we can wear them down over 40 minutes, and it would be a bonus to get up early and force them to try and speed the game up.

I am impressed with Bennett and think UVa is in good hands. He should be able to put them back on the map, if he hasn't already done so.

roywhite
01-11-2012, 11:44 AM
One fairly simple, but important key for success against the Cavs:

If we shoot 3's well, we'll likely win (and I'd guess by double digits)
We were 6-22 from 3 against Ga Tech and that was one factor that made that game close
Hard to get in the lane vs UVa, but should be possible to get good looks from outside with good ball movement

Knock 'em down, guys.
Let me watch and breathe easy.

nocilla
01-11-2012, 11:51 AM

We were 6-22 from 3 against Ga Tech and that was one factor that made that game close
Hard to get in the lane vs UVa, but should be possible to get good looks from outside with good ball movement

Knock 'em down, guys.

I agree with this. And on defense I think the key will be Harris. He is the type of guard that can give us trouble. Scott will have his normal good game and I think the Duke bigs can match him. But if Harris and Zeglinski get hot and match Duke's perimeter scoring then UVA can pull the upset.

niveklaen
01-11-2012, 12:05 PM
I have watched most of Virginia's games this year. They are definitely the 3rd best team I have seen play this year behind Duke and Carolina. Although their schedule hasn't been daunting thus far, they are gaining confidence with each win and have posted road wins at LSU and Oregon, like others have mentioned. They have also squeaked a few wins out by 5 points or less, most notably a 1 point win over Miami last Saturday.

One notable thing I have noticed about them is their tenacity on defense in half court sets. Tony Bennett's pack line defense forces offenses to slow down and crowds the floor inside the 3 point line preventing cuts and drives to the basket. Virginia also hedges screens really well and they preach defensive rebounding. The key to overcoming their defense will be to beat them on the boards, especially when they miss shots. Their defense is significantly easier to score on in transition after they miss shots and after they turn the ball over. Preventing them from setting up their defense and forcing them into a baseline to Baseline game will benefit Duke.

I think throwing Miles, Mason, and Ryan Kelly at Scott will give him looks that he hasn't had yet. Add in Hairston and we have 4 solid bodies we can mix in on him. He may get his share still, but I'd be surprised to see him erupt for 20+ like he had vs. Miami. Duke needs to be crisper on total team defense and if they are and are knocking down 3s, I could see them winning 70-55. However, if we get forced into a slug it out, half court game, then UVA is capable of hanging around and pulling off an upset. I think Kelly is the key offensively as he presents a matchup problem for Scott and Sene. Neither want to get pulled far away from the basket on defense and he is capable of draining 3s. Look for him to have a solid night.

It will be a battle, no doubt! Let's see how we fare against a ranked conference opponent!

Teams that hedge aggresively on screen really set up Kelly on the pick and pop

jv001
01-11-2012, 03:56 PM

Knock 'em down, guys.

^ This, VA tries to make it hard to drive the ball. The best way to beat VA's zone is with crisp passes and not so much dribbling. This is what I hope to see Thursday night. We should also be able to get offensive rebounds and put backs. With the extra days to work on this, Coach K has probably worked on beating that zone. Make those 3s guys. GoDuke!

Jderf
01-11-2012, 04:40 PM
My biggest question is whether or not we will finally find a way to please, please, just GET. MASON. THE BALL. Miles too. I don't know about you guys, but I want to see one of the Plumlees get their hands on the ball at least once every possession, preferably within 8 or 9 feet of the basket.

mkline09
01-11-2012, 05:05 PM
My biggest question is whether or not we will finally find a way to please, please, just GET. MASON. THE BALL. Miles too. I don't know about you guys, but I want to see one of the Plumlees get their hands on the ball at least once every possession, preferably within 8 or 9 feet of the basket.

I think this is an important focus too. Mason needs to be given the ball in a position to score it. Not at the top of the key. I'd like to see Duke run some pick and roll with him with Quinn in the game similar to what they did with Kyrie last season early on. That pick and roll with Mason was virtually unstoppable.

I am concerned with this game. Virginia plays good defense and Mike Scott is a beast and match-up nightmare for Duke. Who guards him. Ryan isn't quick enough, the pseudo threes aren't big enough and Scott's ability will pull his defender, most likely a big, away from the basket. His game concerns me and if Virginia controls the tempo there could be problems. They are a really good team.

NSDukeFan
01-11-2012, 09:44 PM

I agree that I would have liked Mason and Miles to both have had the ball a bunch more the past two games. From my limited understanding of the way Virginia plays defense, I don't know if that should be the focus for this game, however. I believe they pack the inside and don't pressure the 3-point line as much as some other teams. This might be a better game for more perimeter passing and finding our three point shooters (hello Andre, hello Seth) for some good looks. We'll soon find out, but I would like to hear from others who have watched Virginia more.

NYBri
01-11-2012, 09:54 PM
You decide.

Bob Green
01-11-2012, 10:00 PM
This might be a better game for more perimeter passing and finding our three point shooters (hello Andre, hello Seth) for some good looks.

I prefer to see Duke shoot three pointers in transition, on kick outs after the ball has been passed inside or off a drive and dish. Passing the ball around the perimeter seems more often than not to end in a bad shot late in the shot clock.

OldPhiKap
01-11-2012, 10:06 PM
You decide.

True. But there's a big difference between a home game and away game, too.

Should be very competitive. We should be favored by a few, but the game could certainly go either way.

Bob Green
01-11-2012, 10:32 PM
We should be favored by a few, but the game could certainly go either way.

Duke opened in Las Vegas as a 10.5 points favorite with the over/under set at 132:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/

OldPhiKap
01-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Duke opened in Las Vegas as a 10.5 points favorite with the over/under set at 132:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/

I was guessing closer to 6.5 - 8.5 without much thought. Not that there's much difference.

Over-under seems to favor a UVa pace. 71-61 +/- a point?

Kedsy
01-11-2012, 10:55 PM
You decide.

But wait, UVa lost to TCU, who lost to USC, who lost to Kansas, who we beat!

What's your point?

Devilsfan
01-11-2012, 10:57 PM
UVA is a better team than Pitt which for what it's worth is playing like they already joined the ACC.

roywhite
01-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Okay, I was suprised to come across this in reading articles about tonight's matchup.

How many of you knew/remembered that Tony Bennett played in the NBA (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/benneto01.html)?
For the Charlotte Hornets, no less.

nocilla
01-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Over-under seems to favor a UVa pace. 71-61 +/- a point?

I was thinking the opposite. If we get to 70 then I think we will win. I certainly don't expect us to reach our average of 80 against their defense. Of course the score doesn't have to directly relate to the pace, efficiency plays a role. So we could be playing at their pace but scoring efficiently, which still bodes well for Duke.

-bdbd
01-12-2012, 12:21 PM
UVA fans anticipating an upset, win at Duke "finally..." (and, yes, reference in here to Bennett in the NBA) :

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/virginia-vs-duke-no-16-cavs-look-to-end-long-dry-spell-at-cameron-indoor-stadium/2012/01/11/gIQAwjy6qP_story.html

It has been 17 years - a point repeated many times. They are countoing on great defense to be the difference.

-bdbd
01-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Another article from the Post, talking about how key Junior Guard Jontel Evans' offensive contribution may be in the upset...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cavaliers-journal/post/virginia-at-duke-jontel-evanss-offensive-effectiveness-may-prove-crucial-for-cavs/2012/01/12/gIQAGoxUtP_blog.html?wpisrc=nl_sports

That also means sophomore guard Joe Harris and fifth-year senior guard Sammy Zeglinski need to shoot more accurately....

Reilly
01-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Okay, I was suprised to come across this in reading articles about tonight's matchup.

How many of you knew/remembered that Tony Bennett played in the NBA (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/benneto01.html)?
For the Charlotte Hornets, no less.

The running joke around Charlottesville his first couple years was that he was the best guard on the team ...

cptnflash
01-12-2012, 08:12 PM
If Virginia has more than 50 points at the end of this game, we should be ashamed of ourselves.

DukeBlueHeart4
01-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Is anyone else getting an error message from espn3.com?

lotusland
01-12-2012, 09:16 PM

No just poor resolution.

ChrisP
01-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Some ugly shots from 3pt land thus far, but I like the fact that we're trying to push it up after UVA misses. Obviously, our best chance to score is before they can set up that D.

Still not thrilled with our defense but...it's still early in the game, right? :D

FerryFor50
01-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Really liking the intensity at the start of this game - rebounding, defense and offense!

They keep this up, won't be a contest... the key is keeping it up, though...

UrinalCake
01-12-2012, 09:18 PM

It stopped working for me shortly before the game started but is fine now

DukeBlueHeart4
01-12-2012, 09:19 PM
No just poor resolution.

hmm....this is frustrating to say to the least!

ChrisP
01-12-2012, 09:23 PM
hmm....this is frustrating to say to the least!

Sorry, but do you not have ESPN on TV? I guess not, but I think the game is on nation-wide on "regular" ESPN (you know, as opposed to the Ocho).

mapei
01-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Their defense appears as good as advertised. Our 3s so far have been desperation shots rather than coming in the flow of the offense.

#1Duke
01-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Looks like this game is going to come down to the Bigs and penetration for us. Perimeter defense from Virginia has resulted in shutting down the 3 point game so far.

mapei
01-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Looks like this game is going to come down to the Bigs and penetration for us. Perimeter defense from Virginia has resulted in shutting down the 3 point game so far.

Also the entry passes so far, unfortunately.

Wheat/"/"/"
01-12-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm looking for the first low post feed resulting in a scoring move from a Duke big.
None yet in the first ten minutes. One feed into Kelly, two in to Mason. No shot attempts.

FerryFor50
01-12-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm looking for the first low post feed resulting in a scoring move from a Duke big.
None yet in the first ten minutes. One feed into Kelly, two in to Mason. No shot attempts.

You'll be waiting a while...

Gthoma2a
01-12-2012, 09:28 PM
The offense just doesn't have much dynamic motion. It is certainly better with Quinn in there, but we just don't have many guys who can get to the rim and finish. Austin is the only guy that does it consistently. Next best is Quinn.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Wow. Lots of standing around. Passing and dribbling around the perimeter. I don't see much of a cohesive plan at work here. Frustrating.

#1Duke
Need to get Kelly going and more involved. He appears to be the most active.

ChrisP
Unfortunately, I think that all the missed 3's (which, as another poster pointed out, have mostly been desperation heaves rather than shots in the flow of the offense) are going to mean that the next time someone gets a good, open look, they're going to hesitate and allow the defense to close out. Ugh :(

duke09hms
01-12-2012, 09:35 PM

Don't you know that bigs are basically 2nd-class citizens in the Duke offense?

Verga3
01-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Thornton in. Let's rally.

trinity79
01-12-2012, 09:37 PM
We just look listless. But it looks like maybe our defensive hustle is coming to life.

trinity79
01-12-2012, 09:38 PM
How bout let Miles drive the lane. He can shoot free throws.

mapei
01-12-2012, 09:39 PM
I don't think we look listless - I think we are facing a seriously tough defense.

Verga3
01-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Thornton out...Let's rally.

duke09hms
01-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Andre and Tyler are on-ball defensive liabilities. At least Tyler is a superb off-ball defender, Andre not so much. Can we put Mike in at least to see how he does?

FerryFor50
01-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Andre and Tyler are on-ball defensive liabilities. At least Tyler is a superb off-ball defender, Andre not so much. Can we put Mike in at least to see how he does?

Andre would be much better if he didn't overplay the jumper so much. He plays his man too close and leans too much. He needs to balance better and leave a little space between him and his man, since his lateral quickness isn't great.

Gthoma2a
01-12-2012, 09:43 PM
I am really getting used to ugly. Hopefully we can be on the good side of the ugly and win these types of games. This must be what the Big Ten feels like.

duke09hms
01-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Andre would be much better if he didn't overplay the jumper so much. He plays his man too close and leans too much. He needs to balance better and leave a little space between him and his man, since his lateral quickness isn't great.

I agree, he loses his man way too often and too easily. Our entire backcourt could back off a half-step to reduce the # of blow-bys on defense.

ChrisP
01-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Mason's FT shooting is just....ridiculous. Didn't Shaq shoot something like 40-some-percent, at least? The only good thing about his getting fouled so much is that UVA's not very deep but, wow, I simply cannot believe that he's shooting 1-6 from the line in a HOME game. We can't expect to get very far in March with a starter shooting less than 20% from the line.

mapei
01-12-2012, 09:47 PM
How are they getting their guys so wide open?

moonpie23
01-12-2012, 09:47 PM
this is our team this year folks......this is the level that this team is capable of....

duke09hms
01-12-2012, 09:48 PM
my God how is our defense so poor. This could be historical folks.

mapei
01-12-2012, 09:48 PM
UVA looks quicker and more disciplined.

ChrisP
01-12-2012, 09:49 PM
this is our team this year folks......this is the level that this team is capable of....

I respectfully disagree - I think we're capable of playing better both offensively and defensively. Now, whether we WILL or not is entirely another matter. I just think we're sort of unfocused and don't use our heads a lot of the time, but I do think we have the ability to play better than this.

mapei
01-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Wide open yet again.

moonpie23
scott having a career game ....of course.....someone always does....ugh...

this is so frustrating....

FerryFor50
Two wide open threes to end the half. Terrible defense.

ChrisP
01-12-2012, 09:51 PM
I honestly don't remember a K coached Duke team that was this bad defensively. This is often painful to watch - I mean, guys are just WIDE open for threes and/or wide open for dunks right at the front of the rim. Really, really bad.

SCMatt33
Can someone explain why we are bringing some double teams. They don't have break-you-down athleticism, but great discipline to find the open man every time. We aren't turning them over AT ALL, so what is the value in an aggressive D?

Duke79UNLV77
We are a mediocre team at best right now. Poor turnovers. Bad at feeding the post. Unforced turnovers. Only 1 creator, and he needs to mature. Terrible rotation on defense.

duke09hms
01-12-2012, 09:52 PM

If it happens so often, it's not them, it's US. Our defense is terrible, wide-open shot after wide-open shot.

duke09hms
01-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Can someone explain why we are bringing some double teams. They don't have break-you-down athleticism, but great discipline to find the open man every time. We aren't turning them over AT ALL, so what is the value in an aggressive D?

We're all just waiting for K to adjust defensive schemes - aggressive tight man-to-man defense is NOT working with this team.

arnie
If it happens so often, it's not them, it's US. Our defense is terrible, wide-open shot after wide-open shot.

I really can't tell if Dawkins is supposed to be guarding Scott - If he is, someone needs to tell him.

trinity79
"Listless" is a little subjective. So let me be a little more specific. Our entry passes remind me of how old people drive: slow and sloppy. And I know I've seen Va get like 5 or 6 wide open shots in the last few minutes. Like the last one of the half there, for example. I can't recall a single wide open shot for us, though. That's just execution.

Having said that I realize we're starting 2 freshmen at guard. And as Al McGuire use to say, "in the college game everything is decided by the guards." We'll get there by the end of the season, I suspect.

duke09hms
01-12-2012, 09:54 PM
i really can't tell if dawkins is supposed to be guarding scott - if he is, someone needs to tell him.

michael gbinije

#1Duke
We are a mediocre team at best right now. Poor turnovers. Bad at feeding the post. Unforced turnovers. Only 1 creator, and he needs to mature. Terrible rotation on defense.

We're still looking for a leader and one hasn't emerged yet.

dahntaysdawg
We're all just waiting for K to adjust defensive schemes - aggressive tight man-to-man defense is NOT working with this team.

I'm surprised it's gone on this long without a major adjustment to the defensive scheme. He must know something we don't...well I guarantee he does. Still very tough to stomach.

jipops
01-12-2012, 09:55 PM

Players have career games against you when your defense stinks. No surprise the scoring is low and that we are struggling offensively. That was completely expected against Virginia's defense. My concern is how absolutely putrid our defense is. We haven't seen a Duke team with a defense this poor in a very long time. This has to rank as one of K's worst. Almost every UVA shot is uncontested. If they were hitting their 8 footers they would be going into halftime with a double digit lead. This has been just awful. I feel like we have regressed defensively as the season has gone on.

aro24
01-12-2012, 09:56 PM
I agree with some of the earlier posts....offense too often is 5-6 passes around the perimeter, chuck a contested 3 and miss. The first run Duke went on in the 1st half was the only time that they were getting some dribble penetration to the foul line area and some fast breaks......need to get some penetration to get past that first line of defense.
If they are going to double team in the post, I would like to see the outside man drop down rather than bring the other big across the lane, Scott is too good of a passer to leave the other big for VA unguarded...they are getting some very easy looks at the rim due to this.

Here's hoping the 2nd half is better. The wife is a big UVA fan and I will hear about this one for a long time if things don't change.

ARo24

SCMatt33
01-12-2012, 09:57 PM

I know. My problem is if that change really was coming, you would have thought that it would have been made over the break.

FerryFor50
I'm surprised it's gone on this long without a major adjustment to the defensive scheme. He must know something we don't...well I guarantee he does. Still very tough to stomach.

I personally think he's just stubborn. It's worked so well for so long that he figures it will work this year. Maybe it will, but so far, no dice.

Chris Randolph
Mike Scott is playing great but that is what really good players do. He was tabbed by some as a conference player of the year kind of guy so this performance isn't surprising to me. Our best players on the other hand not so good... Mason Plumlee balls out on the 2 best bigs in the nation in T Robinson and Sullinger. But against some dude named Sene he can't even pin him in the post to get the ball.

Could we please make someone besides Mike Scott shoot the ball.

Ryan Kelly is keeping us in it with his hustle plays. Andre with 2 big 3's problem is he gives up points like its his job on the other end.

Austin Rivers lack of versatility in driving the ball has made him easier to stop, same ol crossover, people are just backing up and waiting for it.

I know Virginia is a great defensive team but our offense is pretty poor. Seth Davis was right for all of you who said he was an idiot.

Again, no leadership, no nastiness.

Mr.Analogy

I agree, this team is asleep at the wheel. The guys look lost, either standing around or chunking up 3's that aren't even close. What a hideous way to end the first half, I suspect this to be loss number 3 coming up. I hope I'm wrong but the stats don't lie.

Wheat/"/"/"
01-12-2012, 09:58 PM
I counted only two successful low post feeds for scoring in the first half. And only six total feeds in from the guards.

Neither scores occured with post player's back to the basket.

It's my contention interior post play has to improve for Duke to become an elite team this year.

jv001
01-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Virginia is playing defense like we used to and we're playing offense like they used to. I can't remember seeing a Duke team give up so many wide open shots and Virginia has missed some close in shots they should have made. Quinn and Andre had some defensive mistakes that VA. some easy baskets. Ryan is very active and I hope they get him the ball close to the basket as it looks like it's hack-a-Mason night. I hope we come out strong like Duke used to do. Get on a 10-0 run out of the dressing room. GoDuke!

NYBri
01-12-2012, 09:59 PM
I remember when pounding the floor meant something. That's not this team. Lots of individual talent, but no one who refuses to lose.

CLW
01-12-2012, 09:59 PM
This team has 1st Round upset and out written all over them.

#1 Team Defense is bad - I honestly cannot remember a Duke team that played this poorly on the defensive end.

#2 Careless/Sloppy with the ball - Our team assist to turnover ratio has to be awful on the season. 1-1 if we are lucky (without looking)

#3 Poor free throw shooting - Mason in particular is just dreadful from the line its an automatic turnover.

#4 No one can create their own shot but Rivers and he plays out of control far too often.

jipops
01-12-2012, 10:00 PM
need to get some penetration to get past that first line of defense.
ARo24

Yeah sounds great but who do we have that can do it? Austin's drive is being shut down as the Cavs extend on the pick. Nobody else on the floor has the ability to penetrate except maybe for Andre who I think has an ability to draw fouls when he drives. Problem is when Dre has been in so far, our defense takes a major, major hit. I'm not sure Andre knows where he is on the screen and roll.

I honestly don't care what our offense does 2nd half. If we can accomplish something on defense then we can win this game, otherwise the Cavs finally break the streak.

NYBri
01-12-2012, 10:01 PM
...I don't hope for a half time adjustment like I'm used to.

jv001
I counted only two successful low post feeds for scoring in the first half. And only six total feeds in from the guards.

It's my contention interior post play has to improve for Duke to become an elite team this year.

Since it should be a strength for this team, I agree. But we don't make the entry pass very well. VA is over playing Mason and we don't seem to have a guard that can pass the ball over the defender for an easy layup. Or maybe we don't have that play in playbook. GoDuke!

#1Duke
I think we get kind of lost when our guards are contained and taken out of the 3 point game ( Temple ). Instead of adjusting and sending them in to penetrate and dish to the bigs, we stay FAR out on the perimeter and look lost.
We should be penetrating and drawing fouls if nothing else and trying to get their bigs in foul trouble.
This team just needs to learn to adapt and take what your given. A little hustle on defense wouldn't hurt either.

throatybeard
01-12-2012, 10:02 PM

Something is wrong here. My computer is auto-generating Wheat posts from 1998.

trinity79
I remember when pounding the floor meant something. That's not this team. Lots of individual talent, but no one who refuses to lose.

Amen, it's not "just" the talent of Singler and Smith that this team misses. But, alas, I shall complain no more on this forum.
GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ncexnyc
Geez guys, after reading all the posts I thought we were down by 20. It's a 4 point game, things will turn around in the second half.

arnie
01-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Since it should be a strength for this team, I agree. But we don't make the entry pass very well. VA is over playing Mason and we don't seem to have a guard that can pass the ball over the defender for an easy layup. Or maybe we don't have that play in playbook. GoDuke!

Kelly made a couple of attempts but both were deflected - couldn't tell what kind of angle he had, but both led to bad turnovers and I think quick scores on the other end.

FerryFor50
01-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Geez guys, after reading all the posts I thought we were down by 20. It's a 4 point game, things will turn around in the second half.

It's not the size of the deficit. It's how they got there.

jipops
01-12-2012, 10:06 PM

You like the copy/paste function huh? Please give it a rest. Post play has nothing to do with Duke's issues in this game. Clean looks are not going to occur as UVA's defense packs it in and there is no pg in Duke's personnel to actually create that clean distribution. Just because your team consistently has those luxuries doesn't mean others magically can.

In case you haven't been watching, defense is the issue for Duke in this game.

trinity79
01-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Why not? What do we have to lose?

Mr.Analogy
01-12-2012, 10:09 PM

Uh, are we watching the same game? Just kidding. It's not the score but the level of play, even against a great team like UVA.

Sgt. Dingleberry
2 possessions to start the second half, two times we go inside, two baskets ensue.

Keep it up guys.

Wheat/"/"/"
Something is wrong here. My computer is auto-generating Wheat posts from 1998.

So true...:)

FerryFor50
Why not? What do we have to lose?

I'd even stick him on Scott.

duke09hms
01-12-2012, 10:10 PM
You like the copy/paste function huh? Please give it a rest. Post play has nothing to do with Duke's issues in this game. Clean looks are not going to occur as UVA's defense packs it in and there is no pg in Duke's personnel to actually create that clean distribution. Just because your team consistently has those luxuries doesn't mean others magically can.

In case you haven't been watching, defense is the issue for Duke in this game.

Wheat is right regarding our lack of post play. The post is our strength this year (for once) but is terribly underutilized.

mapei
01-12-2012, 10:11 PM
We don't have a lot of entry passes because UVA is denying them. Maybe if we tried a high post rather than hanging out down low . . .

On D, we look alarmingly unathletic.

jipops
Wheat is right regarding our lack of post play. The post is our strength this year (for once) but is terribly underutilized.

I completely disagree. All of our statistics suggest otherwise.

FerryFor50

Co-sign on this.

Not only has it been a factor in this game, but in the loss to Temple and the closeness of the GT game, too.

Not only do you get higher % shots, you possibly get Scott into foul trouble.

duke09hms
01-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Seth Davis is right regarding our defense and lack of leadership.

Seth Davis is wrong about us having the "best backcourt in the country."

FerryFor50
01-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Co-sign on this.

Not only has it been a factor in this game, but in the loss to Temple and the closeness of the GT game, too.

Not only do you get higher % shots, you possibly get Scott into foul trouble.

Weird.... we go into the post and regain the lead. Go figure.

ncexnyc
01-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Uh, are we watching the same game? Just kidding. It's not the score but the level of play, even against a great team like UVA.
Well actually, no I'm not watching the game, which is why I'm reading the board.:D

Sgt. Dingleberry
01-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Keep giving him the ball. They can't stop him.

FerryFor50
01-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Weird.... we go into the post and regain the lead. Go figure.

Hey look, you start scoring in the post and you get wide open shots on kick outs. Weird.

duke09hms
01-12-2012, 10:19 PM
K made 2nd half adjustments!

Guards are backing off a bit from their man. Leading to less blow-bys and open dunks/3s.

Feeding the post/Mason gives us the lead. Leading to open 3s for us.

Sgt. Dingleberry
01-12-2012, 10:19 PM
And the outside game is wide open. Seth was shocked how he could be so wide open.

Keep going inside guys. Make them stop it.

duke09hms
01-12-2012, 10:20 PM
And the outside game is wide open. Seth was shocked how he could be so wide open.

Keep going inside guys. Make them stop it.

EXACTLY. That's how you use the best post offensive option Duke has had since 2006.

trinity79
01-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Hey look, you start scoring in the post and you get wide open shots on kick outs. Weird.

I'm guessing that Coach K may have pointed out this fact at halftime in very colorful and concrete language. :o

mapei
01-12-2012, 10:22 PM
pretty, pretty ply by Tyler

duke09hms
Uhoh, Tyler makin some plays on O! DO WE HAVE A PG BATTLE AGAIN?!

Wheat/"/"/"
I completely disagree. All of our statistics suggest otherwise.

What stats?

Dribble dishes and put backs aside, post offense is overall poor.

It has been better this half.

DukeBlueHeart4
01-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Holy freaking cow!!!!!!!!

Kfanarmy
What a SLAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

duke09hms
Stats I see.

Duke 1st half: 10-26 FG

We decide to feed Mason/post more.

Duke 2nd half: 8-11 FG

Oriole Way
01-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Two great plays by Thornton, he's been a real difference-maker tonight. Nice to see Dawkins playing well, too.

throatybeard
01-12-2012, 10:26 PM
If I'm an opposing coach in an end-game against Duke, I tell my kids to hack Mason.

FerryFor50
01-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Why do guys who shoot FTs poorly always push the shots instead of flicking the wrist?

duke09hms
01-12-2012, 10:27 PM
If I'm an opposing coach in an end-game against Duke, I tell my kids to hack Mason.

Yeah for real. The coaching staff should tell Mason he's costing himself $1000 with each FT miss on his nba contract.

mapei
01-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Damn those O-rebounds

FerryFor50
01-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Frustrating. They play good D and don't corral the rebound. Then play great D again, and don't get the board. Gotta swallow up those rebounds.

duke09hms
Damn those O-rebounds

Yeah, that was a tough sequence but at least we fought for it. That's what we have to DO every possession!

Wheat/"/"/"
Play on the feed in to Mason and a foul...more of that needed to free up he shooters.

mapei
Nice ferocious rally. Wish we could grab more rebounds and put it away.

FerryFor50
01-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Yeah for real. The coaching staff should tell Mason he's costing himself $1000 with each FT miss on his nba contract.

He's not losing any money off his NBA contract. There are TONS of millionaires in the NBA who can't shoot FTs.

duke09hms
01-12-2012, 10:31 PM
He's not losing any money off his NBA contract. There are TONS of millionaires in the NBA who can't shoot FTs.

Think about it. His ppg would be ~5 pts higher if he could make FTs. It might push Mason into early/mid lottery = bigger contracts.

ChrisP
01-12-2012, 10:32 PM
I cannot believe Mason's technique on the FT's - he basically has one hand on front of the dang ball! I would much rather see him shoot it one-handed. Jeez!

FerryFor50
01-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Think about it. His ppg would be ~5 pts higher if he could make FTs. It might push Mason into early/mid lottery = bigger contracts.

He'll be a lottery pick based on his offensive potential and his defense.

ChrisP
01-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Ummm...why have we stopped trying to feed the post?

duke09hms
My God I love watching Mason - it's so weird yet so awesome to see us with a dominant post presence.

As I speak, we start going away from the post . . .

FerryFor50
Ummm...why have we stopped trying to feed the post?

Because they have the lead, duh. How else are we supposed to let the other team back in it?

duke09hms
01-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Because they have the lead, duh. How else are we supposed to let the other team back in it?

This would be funny if it wasn't true.

ChrisP
01-12-2012, 10:37 PM

You may be onto something there!

RoyalBlue08
01-12-2012, 10:38 PM
I think we are finally watching Mason take the leap towards the star we all knew he had the talent to be. I'm. Very excited to see the player he will be by the end of the season.

FerryFor50
01-12-2012, 10:39 PM
You may be onto something there!

The strategy is go away from what's working to make it more interesting. That and the guards get too comfy and think it's time to "get theirs" by jacking up fade away 3s.

nocilla
01-12-2012, 10:39 PM

In an end-game situation, Mason doesn't stay in the game. It's Kelly and guards or Kelly and Miles.

Bluedog
01-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Are we going to now have debates about Curry at PG? Maybe the beginning of the season lineup isn't out of the question yet. Seems like Coach K has been going with the Curry/Rivers/Dawk backcourt throughout this whole nice run. Maybe it depends on the matchup.

mapei
01-12-2012, 10:41 PM
YES!

FerryFor50
01-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Are we going to now have debates about Curry at PG? Seems like Coach K has been going with the Curry/Rivers/Dawk backcourt throughout this whole run.

I think it's going to be this way all season. K is going to go with the combo that's playing the best.

ChrisP
01-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Great play by Curry but dude, make your FT's!!!!!

mapei
01-12-2012, 10:43 PM
WTF with the rebounds?

ChrisP
01-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Some bad mental errors here on missed FT's. Come on guys, pull it together!

trinity79
we could stop fouling on the free throw rebounds (which we should be getting) and put the game away

duke09hms
How much of the Duke hate can be explained by Dick Vitale? Seriously man, talk about THE GAME.

FerryFor50
Scott has 26 pts but it's taken him 22 shots to do it. I'll take that.

Kfanarmy
01-12-2012, 10:46 PM
WTF with the rebounds? between the free throws and giving up offensive rebounds...Duke is really helping UVA keep it close

mapei
01-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Has Cook played much this half?

Kfanarmy
01-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Scott has 26 pts but it's taken him 22 shots to do it. I'll take that. about one third of that 22 led to an offensive rebound I think

FerryFor50
01-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Has Cook played much this half?

Not much at all. He seemed out of sync in the first. Then Duke went on a run with the Thornton/Dawkins/Curry/Rivers rotation...

He'll have ups and downs. This game was a down.

mapei
01-12-2012, 10:48 PM
if Mason makes even 60% of FTs this game isn't close.

FerryFor50
01-12-2012, 10:49 PM
about one third of that 22 led to an offensive rebound I think

Nah. UVA has 5 offensive boards. Scott has 2 of them.

trinity79
the NFL draft banter during the commercials? (I'm watching online.)

duke09hms
if Mason makes even 60% of FTs this game isn't close.

Especially the front end of 1-and-1s

throatybeard
01-12-2012, 10:50 PM
How much of the Duke hate can be explained by Dick Vitale? Seriously man, talk about THE GAME.

I don't know. I was thinking he sounds remarkably un-noxious, er, innocuous, I mean for him.

FerryFor50
Two borderline moving screen fouls on Miles.... when UVA's been doing the same all night.

mapei
If Miles is moving on those, it's *really* slight.

ChrisP
01-12-2012, 10:51 PM
What a horrible call for Miles' 5th - replay showed he was not completely stationary, but I wonder how many times that gets called against other teams. That was ridiculous.

FerryFor50
01-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Awesome head fake by Kelly. And it almost went in...

duke09hms
01-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Ryan KELLY! - SMART PLAY!

Drawing a foul for 3 free throws

FerryFor50
01-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Ryan KELLY! - SMART PLAY!

Drawing a foul for 3 free throws

It was a 2... but you wouldn't know that because the announcers didn't even mention it, even with the replays.

ChrisP
01-12-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm sorry, but how is Dawkins not at the line for some 'throws? He got mugged on that missed shot - WTF???

duke09hms
01-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Is it just me but are the coaches telling Andre to get burned by backdoor cuts?

duke09hms
01-12-2012, 10:56 PM
UVA player with a soccer flop

ChrisP
01-12-2012, 10:57 PM
What in the H-E double-hockey-sticks are we DOING on offense the last couple of possessions? I love Ryan and he's been pretty good in this game, but I really don't think he should be handling the ball this much.

Kfanarmy
01-12-2012, 10:58 PM
UVA player with a soccer flop

Kid got two fingers in the eye...you'd flop to.

mapei
OK, now make our FTs and win.

duke09hms
What in the H-E double-hockey-sticks are we DOING on offense the last couple of possessions? I love Ryan and he's been pretty good in this game, but I really don't think he should be handling the ball this much.

One of the team's best FT shooters. But why not Seth?

FerryFor50

They want him to be the one shooting FTs at the end of the game. For good reason...

mapei
01-12-2012, 10:59 PM
speaking of moving screens . . .

FerryFor50
So not only is this one of Duke's worst defensive teams so far, but they also are one of the worst FT shooting teams I can remember.... especially in late game situations.

ChrisP
They want him to be the one shooting FTs at the end of the game. For good reason...

And that reason would be????

DukeHoopsGuru
01-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Ryan Kelly has regressed. Those free throws hid the fact that he has not played well in a while.

Mr.Analogy
01-12-2012, 11:00 PM
speaking of moving screens . . .

Kelly misses 2 ft's and UVA cuts the lead to 3........wtf? Are we about to see the biggest choke of the year?

Bluedog
01-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Kelly misses 2 ft's and UVA cuts the lead to 3........wtf? Are we about to see the biggest choke of the year?

No..

FerryFor50
And that reason would be????

83% on the year, 14-14 last game. That's why, despite the two misses.

ChrisP

Nah, I don't think so but...I am not happy that we've been so weak at the end after playing a very nice second half overall.

J4Kop99
01-12-2012, 11:02 PM
8-19 from the line? Little ability to hold any lead at the end of games...

I have little faith in them this year. Each game scares the hell out of me. I think this team is actually regressing. So damn inconsistent.

mapei
my god that was a scary finish

Mr.Analogy
No..

Another 5 seconds on that clock and we would have....

FerryFor50
Where was the call on the moving screen for UVA that knocked over a duke player?

duke09hms
Whew

go duke

Kfanarmy
01-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Where was the call on the moving screen for UVA that knocked over a duke player? I think that's called a shove in the back

FerryFor50
I think that's called a shove in the back

Technically, he didn't shove with his arms. He set a pick, then moved into Curry.

But either way, yeesh.

J4Kop99
I think that's called a shove in the back

Yeah, it definitely looked like something.

arnie
01-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Whew

go duke

UVA deserved to win this game - if any of their shots fall in the 2nd half, it's not even close. Any particular reason we didn't try to rebound shots in the last 5-8 minutes??

trinity79
01-12-2012, 11:05 PM
when u play Virginia or Clemson

mapei
01-12-2012, 11:06 PM
I think there were two uncalled moving screens near the end that were much more obvious than Miles's.