PDA

View Full Version : ACC Games - Week Of Jan 8th thru Jan 14

Newton_14
01-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Use this thread to discuss the various non-Duke ACC games for this week. (Jan 8 thru Jan 14)

NC State got off to solid start in league play tonight with a win at home over Maryland 79-74

League Games this week.
Sun 1/8
Maryland @ NC State 6pm (Final Score: State 79 Maryland 74)

Tues 1/10
FSU @ Va Tech 7pm ESPNU
Miami @ UNC-CH 9PM ESPN3

Wed 1/11
Wake Forest @ Maryland 7pm ESPN3
Ga Tech @ NC State 9pm ESPN3

Thurs 1/12
Clemson @ Boston College 7pm ESPN2
UVA @ Duke 9pm ESPN

Sat 1/14
NC State @ Wake Forest 1pm ESPN3
UNC-CH @ FSU 2pm ESPN
Va Tech @ Boston College 3pm ESPN3

1 24 90
01-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Wow, Clemson at Boston College is on ESPN2 Thursday night. I'd love to see the ratings (or lack thereof) for that game.

Faustus
01-09-2012, 10:58 AM
The FSU-Va Tech game could be 4-2 at halftime. I don't know which team would have the 4, likely the home team.

P.S. If cold shooting at the FT line, that score could be 3-2.

devildeac
01-09-2012, 11:24 AM
The FSU-Va Tech game could be 4-2 at halftime. I don't know which team would have the 4, likely the home team.

P.S. If cold shooting at the FT line, that score could be 3-2.

FG and a safety?

Oh, sorry, my bad. You are discussing MBB as FB season will be over after tonight's NC game.

gw67
01-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Based on what I saw this past weekend, NC State and not Virginia, is the 3rd best team in the ACC. They are not deep but they are a good shooting team from both the field and foul line, put forth good effort on the boards and while going after loose balls, share the ball, and they can either set up plays or run. I like Leslie, Wood and Brown and the supporting cast, particularly Howell, is fine.

Disagree with a couple of DBR's observations from the NC State/Maryland game. First, I am not an expert in interpreting facial expressions or body language but Turgeon looks pretty much the same win or lose. It appeared to me that he was upset with the team efforts to get rebounds, loose balls and getting back of defense. This was very valid IMO.

Len is still quite raw and needs to adjust to the college game. However, he is 7-1, skilled and athletic for a player that size and works hard on the boards. DBR implied that he was out of his element yesterday. He got 11 rebounds and scored 12 points although the Terps don't get him the ball down low and he was often going up against multiple players.

gw67

gumbomoop
01-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Have to admit I'm pulling for FSU to right their ship Tues eve @ VT. For UNC travels to Tallahassee on Sat, and I'd sure like to see FSU on a bit of an uptick.

subzero02
01-10-2012, 02:10 PM
I expect FSU to continue to struggle offensively as they go on the road to blacksburg. Prediction Hokies by double digits... 66-52. I think UNC should have very little trouble with Miami if they can maintain their defensive intensity. Prediction UNC 85- Miami 67.

Please post your thoughts and score predictions.

dukelifer
01-10-2012, 02:15 PM
I expect FSU to continue to struggle offensively as they go on the road to blacksburg. Prediction Hokies by double digits... 66-52. I think UNC should have very little trouble with Miami if they can maintain their defensive intensity. Prediction UNC 85- Miami 67.

Please post your thoughts and score predictions.

UNC's 100th home game in a row it seems. They have a VERY favorable schedule. I do not see them having trouble until later in the season.

nocilla
01-10-2012, 02:23 PM
UNC's 100th home game in a row it seems. They have a VERY favorable schedule. I do not see them having trouble until later in the season.

I think Miami actually matches up pretty well with UNC having strong perimeter play and a healthy Johnson in the post. UNC will probably still win since it is in Chapel Hill but I think it will be closer than some think.

I agree with the OP on FSU continuing to struggle offensively against VT who usually plays pretty good defense themselves. That game could see a winning team with less than 50 points.

Olympic Fan
01-10-2012, 06:29 PM

UNC is in a very favoriable stretch -- Miami will be their ninth straight home game -- and only Long Beach (24) and Texas (73) have been in the top 100 of the RPI. Four of the nine opponents are above 250 in the RPI, five above 200. So, yes, a very easy stretch.

And overall, their non-conference schedule is weaker than ours. Outside the league they play (numbers based on RPI): they play No. 5 Michigan State, No. 8 Kentucky, No. 13 UNLV, No. 24 Long Beach State, No. 63 Wisconsin, No. 73 Texas ... plus two teams between 150-200; one team between 200-250 and five teams above 250.

Duke plays: No. 5 Michigan State, No. 11 Ohio State, No. 23 Michigan, No. 25 Kansas, No. 26 Temple, No. 27 Colorado State, No. 41 Davidson, No. 89 Washington and No. 98 Belmont, plus two teams from 100-150; one team 150-200; one team 200-250, two teams over 250.

That's why RPI rates Duke's schedule No. 2 in the country ... UNC's No. 66.

I will argue that Duke has a more favorable ACC schedule. Duke gets five games against the ACC's bottom four -- and four of them are on the road. UNC gets just four games against the bottom four and three are at home (it's much more favorite to play the worst teams on the road).

Duke gets Virginia, NC State, Miami and Virginia Tech only at home ... UNC has to play all of those teams (which look like middle/top half ACC teams) on the road. Both teams have to play Florida State in Tallahassee and at Maryland.

I've been charting this since the unbalanced schedule was adopted and IMHO, this is the first time the ACC schedule has clearly favored Duke.

1 24 90
01-10-2012, 07:32 PM
UNC is in a very favoriable stretch -- Miami will be their ninth straight home game -- and only Long Beach (24) and Texas (73) have been in the top 100 of the RPI. Four of the nine opponents are above 250 in the RPI, five above 200. So, yes, a very easy stretch.

And overall, their non-conference schedule is weaker than ours. Outside the league they play (numbers based on RPI): they play No. 5 Michigan State, No. 8 Kentucky, No. 13 UNLV, No. 24 Long Beach State, No. 63 Wisconsin, No. 73 Texas ... plus two teams between 150-200; one team between 200-250 and five teams above 250.

Duke plays: No. 5 Michigan State, No. 11 Ohio State, No. 23 Michigan, No. 25 Kansas, No. 26 Temple, No. 27 Colorado State, No. 41 Davidson, No. 89 Washington and No. 98 Belmont, plus two teams from 100-150; one team 150-200; one team 200-250, two teams over 250.

That's why RPI rates Duke's schedule No. 2 in the country ... UNC's No. 66.

I will argue that Duke has a more favorable ACC schedule. Duke gets five games against the ACC's bottom four -- and four of them are on the road. UNC gets just four games against the bottom four and three are at home (it's much more favorite to play the worst teams on the road).

Duke gets Virginia, NC State, Miami and Virginia Tech only at home ... UNC has to play all of those teams (which look like middle/top half ACC teams) on the road. Both teams have to play Florida State in Tallahassee and at Maryland.

I've been charting this since the unbalanced schedule was adopted and IMHO, this is the first time the ACC schedule has clearly favored Duke.

Just an FYI but Duke does play at Va Tech on February 2nd.

Bob Green
01-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Carolina is shredding Miami's defense both in transition and in the half court. Marshall and Strickland have finished at the rim multiple times and dished to Zeller/Henson for dunks. Miami looks over matched, but Kenny Kadji has been impressive and leads Miami with nine points.

Carolina 48, Miami 27 with 15 minutes left in the 2nd half.

Bob Green
01-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Zeller (16 & 10) and Henson (11 & 14) both recorded double-doubles and Marshall (12 & 7) and Strickland (14 & 4) were solid in the points and assists categories. Harrison Barnes stunk the joint up being limited to six points on 2-13 (0-6) shooting from the floor.

Newton_14
01-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Maryland took out Wake 70-64

NC State has trailed the entire game and is still down 13 with 5 minutes left to that terrible "mediocre" Ga Tech team. Rice is lighting them up....

Bob Green
01-11-2012, 11:09 PM
State looked to be in control of the game for the first 13 minutes having leads up to five points. Georgia Tech went on a big run over the last seven minutes of the first half and never looked back.

ncexnyc
01-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Maryland took out Wake 70-64

NC State has trailed the entire game and is still down 13 with 5 minutes left to that terrible "mediocre" Ga Tech team. Rice is lighting them up....
There are a number of folks on this board that have a very bad habit of not being objective when discussing players from other teams. The biggest sin they commit is talking about a kid's progression from one year to the next. Every Duke player will make tremendous strides improving every facet of their game while the rest of the ACC players will remain stagnant.

Rice is a junior. He's 6'5" and weighs over 200 lbs, that's a pretty solid young man. Considering his pedigree, it's not surprising that he's "getting it" at this point in his career.

Rivers attempted to play defense on Rice the other day, but Rice definitely took advantage of the physical mismatch. I seem to recall him getting chippy with us two years ago, but don't let that cloud your judgement of the kid, he can play.

Newton_14
01-12-2012, 08:54 AM
There are a number of folks on this board that have a very bad habit of not being objective when discussing players from other teams. The biggest sin they commit is talking about a kid's progression from one year to the next. Every Duke player will make tremendous strides improving every facet of their game while the rest of the ACC players will remain stagnant.

Rice is a junior. He's 6'5" and weighs over 200 lbs, that's a pretty solid young man. Considering his pedigree, it's not surprising that he's "getting it" at this point in his career.

Rivers attempted to play defense on Rice the other day, but Rice definitely took advantage of the physical mismatch. I seem to recall him getting chippy with us two years ago, but don't let that cloud your judgement of the kid, he can play.

I should have inserted a smiley there, but you do get that I was being sarcastic? I love Rice as a player and I think Tech is a rapidly improving team...

tbyers11
01-12-2012, 10:34 AM
I should have inserted a smiley there, but you do get that I was being sarcastic? I love Rice as a player and I think Tech is a rapidly improving team...

Isn't it amazing how GTech looks when they have an actual coach? :) Imagine what Gregory could have done with talent like Favors, Lawal and Shumpert.

Their two game stretch of good play against Duke and NC State is impressive but needs to be viewed through the lens of small sample size in light of their previous three games (loss to Mercer, loss to Fordham and blowout loss to Bama). However, I agree that they do appear to be rapidly improving and gaining confidence under Gregory. I no longer think they can be grouped in the bottom tier of very bad teams along with Wake and BC.

UrinalCake
01-12-2012, 10:48 AM

Yeah, I thought you were making a little stab at people who criticized our showing against GT and who claimed that GT is awful and we should have blown them out. GT appears to actually be a pretty good team.

Duvall
01-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Isn't it amazing how GTech looks when they have an actual coach? :) Imagine what Gregory could have done with talent like Favors, Lawal and Shumpert.

Their two game stretch of good play against Duke and NC State is impressive but needs to be viewed through the lens of small sample size in light of their previous three games (loss to Mercer, loss to Fordham and blowout loss to Bama). However, I agree that they do appear to be rapidly improving and gaining confidence under Gregory. I no longer think they can be grouped in the bottom tier of very bad teams along with Wake and BC.

I don't think Wake deserves to be in the bottom tier with BC either. BC has earned its own tier this season, and the Deacons have improved substantially from last season, even if they are still far from good.

Slackerb
01-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I watched the GT/State game last night and it was very surprising how good Tech looked. However, it looked like a fluke.

I saw 2 banked in 3's, one 3 that crazily bounced in, and many well guarded shots that fell. They just couldn't miss. It was one of those nights. They shot great from 3 point, free throw, everywhere. They even had a guy that was 10/30 from free throw for the season hit like 8/9 FTs.

Duvall
01-12-2012, 01:45 PM
I watched the GT/State game last night and it was very surprising how good Tech looked. However, it looked like a fluke.

I saw 2 banked in 3's, one 3 that crazily bounced in, and many well guarded shots that fell. They just couldn't miss. It was one of those nights. They shot great from 3 point, free throw, everywhere. They even had a guy that was 10/30 from free throw for the season hit like 8/9 FTs.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. We'll see if Glen Rice, Jr. can pull off a similar effort a third time soon enough.

Slackerb
01-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Well his game did not look like a fluke. He's really got some skill, although he may be streaky, he has seemingly hit his stride now.

It's the rest of the team's performance that was shocking.

CDu
01-12-2012, 02:04 PM
It's been a rough start so far for some of the bubble teams in the conference:

FSU: 1-1, with a loss to Clemson
VT: 0-2, with a loss to Wake Forest
NCSt: 1-1, with a home loss to GT
Miami: 0-2, but at least their losses are road losses against upper-tier ACC teams

Some of the bottom feeders (Clemson, Maryland, Georgia Tech, and Wake Forest) are off to decent starts. But that doesn't bode well for the conference getting a fourth or fifth team into the tournament.

NC State (RPI 42, KenPom 68) did themselves no favors by losing a home game against the Yellow Jackets.

ncexnyc
01-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Yes, I definitely got the sarcasm. I should have put something in my post noting that I wasn't directing my comments towards you.:)

NSDukeFan
01-12-2012, 11:33 PM
BC is not going to go winless in the ACC this year.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/men/gameflash/2012/01/12/73765_recap.html?conf=ACC
59-57 over Clemson at home.

Duvall
01-12-2012, 11:34 PM
BC is not going to go winless in the ACC this year.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/men/gameflash/2012/01/12/73765_recap.html?conf=ACC
59-57 over Clemson at home.

Yes, I think that puts an end to the worst team in ACC history talk.

NSDukeFan
01-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Yes, I think that puts an end to the worst team in ACC history talk.

As young and untalented as they are, they do seem to compete. I think you're right.

Wander
01-13-2012, 02:00 AM
If BC goes 4-12 in the ACC or better, they should get the conference Coach of the Year award.

Olympic Fan
01-13-2012, 04:34 PM
I think it speaks to the long-term imbalance of the ACC that after just two games into this conference season, there are just two unbeaten ACC teams left -- Duke and North Carolina.

Obviously, there are a lot of games to ply -- everybody has 14 games left ad even Miami and Virginia tech at 0-2 could conceivably finish near the top of the standings.

Still, the heavy dominance that these two teams have exhibited in recent years appears to be continung. Duke and UNC ARE the ACC's two best teams at the moment. The inability of any other team to mount a sustained challenge to that tandem is -- in a way -- discouraging. I thought before the season that Florida State might push the league's two rulers. That could stilol happen, but nothing the 'Noles have done so far makes you think that will happen. Virginia looks like a solid No. 3, but their best chance to crack the top two rimmed out at the buzzer last night. Oh year, they get UNC home-and-away, but they don't get another shot at Duke.

The Blue Devils and Tar Heels may or may not run away from the rest of the league. UNC has been able to open with two relatively easy home games ... Duke has not been overpowering in its two wins.

Still, look at the ACC standings today ... it's the same two teams tied at the top.

devildeac
01-14-2012, 02:36 PM
In Winston-Salem now, NCSU leads WFU, 61-25 with about 9 minutes to go. Wake has 17 TO and 9 FG. blecch.

In sympathy,

devil****

Bob Green
01-14-2012, 03:04 PM
At the half, FSU 36 - UNC 28. Dulkys is 4/5 on 3-pointers and has 16 points. Zeller is playing tough defense for the Heels.

roywhite
01-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Tarheels stumbling in Tallahassee....FSU up by 8 at half; 'Noles hitting some 3's and Heels turning the ball over, playing sloppy.

Noles show plenty of potential to blow this....fingers crossed.

SilkyJ
01-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Tarheels stumbling in Tallahassee....FSU up by 8 at half; 'Noles hitting some 3's and Heels turning the ball over, playing sloppy.

Noles show plenty of potential to blow this....fingers crossed.

FSU now up 14 with 16:44 left. Roy calls a TO.

duke09hms
01-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Don't JINX IT!

throatybeard
01-14-2012, 03:40 PM

Is it later in the season yet?

I probably just jinxed it, but I can't believe what FSU is doing to them. As in, I have my television on and I'm not sure this is actual programming.

SMO
01-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Is it later in the season yet?

I probably just jinxed it, but I can't believe what FSU is doing to them. As in, I have my television on and I'm not sure this is actual programming.

If this holds up will Seth Davis question UNC's leadership and suggest they can't win on the road?

TruBlu
01-14-2012, 03:49 PM
All calls now going for Carolina. Refs are determined to make this game close.

SilkyJ
01-14-2012, 03:54 PM
All calls now going for Carolina. Refs are determined to make this game close.

Meh, not really. FSU bucket then steal and a 3, back to 27. Then jumpball on the other end, FSU ball. Dickie V getting one thing right: FSU outhustling in all aspects.

Stick a fork in em

devildeac
01-14-2012, 03:55 PM
'Noles > 'holes, 75-48 with 7 to go. Are my eyes deceiving me?

jv001
01-14-2012, 03:55 PM
If this holds up will Seth Davis question UNC's leadership and suggest they can't win on the road?

Or will someone tell Wheat that unc needs to work the ball into the low post. GoDuke!

DukieInBrasil
01-14-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm in total shock that FSU has just strangled, beaten and abused UNC. I have never seen them play this bad before. They may even be playing worse than 82-50.

TruBlu
01-14-2012, 04:01 PM
If Carolina can get the final margin of loss to under 20, they will likely climb to #2 in the polls (with some first place votes) based on their comeback.

duke09hms
01-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Dulkys reminds me of Greg Paulus when he hit 6-8 3s at UNC. Even looks a bit like him too.

SMO
01-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Or will someone tell Wheat that unc needs to work the ball into the low post. GoDuke!

Did anyone DVR the game so we can go back and find bizarre reasons why Carolina's points in the paint don't qualify as post scoring?

Olympic Fan
01-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Wow, the final margin 90-57 ... 33 points, one more than Duke's beatdown of them in Cameron two years ago.

Interesting that Roy and all his bench players fled the court with 12 seconds left, leaving five walk-ons and no coaches to finish the game. When K did something similar late in 2006 sensing an ugly situation, he was lambasted by Carolina fans as a coward. Nice to see what goes around comes around.

Second amazing point -- FSU's 33-point win was not the biggest ACC beat-down of the day. NC State went to Winston-Salem and beat Wake by 36 points. The Deacons had looked fairly decent up to that point -- not great, but better than at any point last year. But their worst loss a year ago was 35 points ... on the road. Ugh.

Finally, we have Virginia Tech fighting for their life at Boston College. BC up three with 13 minutes left as I write this ... the Hokies in danger of going 0-3 in the ACC (and if that happens with two of the losses coming to Wake and BC, Seth can pack it in).

Duvall
01-14-2012, 04:55 PM
On the plus side, I don't think Virginia Tech will have to worry about ending up on the bubble again this year.

Olympic Fan
01-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Boston College put them away, holding on for a two-point win.

In Seth's defense, the Hokies did play today without Erik Green, their leading scorer.

Still, got to admire the job Donahue is doing at BC. He's got the youngest team in ACC history -- two returning sophomore scrubs, one transfer (their other transfer has been hurt and unable to play a minute this season) and nine freshman -- none of them prep All-Americans. In fact, none of them ranked in the top 100 of the rsci.

And they already have more ACC wins than Wake managed last season. If Clemson were to upset Duke Sunday (possible, remember they routed FSU at home), BC would be tied for first in the ACC.

I still think they finish deep in the second division, but I now think they have a good chance to finish ahead of Wake and maybe somebody else in the standings.

As for Va Tech. I'm sure they'll eventually win an ACC game or two ... the way things go in streaks, they'll have a night like FSU had today. But it's becoming pretty obvious that Seth will miss the NCAA again this year. How many years does he have to miss before the school decides to go in another direction?

1 24 90
01-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Boston College put them away, holding on for a two-point win.

In Seth's defense, the Hokies did play today without Erik Green, their leading scorer.

Still, got to admire the job Donahue is doing at BC. He's got the youngest team in ACC history -- two returning sophomore scrubs, one transfer (their other transfer has been hurt and unable to play a minute this season) and nine freshman -- none of them prep All-Americans. In fact, none of them ranked in the top 100 of the rsci.

And they already have more ACC wins than Wake managed last season. If Clemson were to upset Duke Sunday (possible, remember they routed FSU at home), BC would be tied for first in the ACC.

I still think they finish deep in the second division, but I now think they have a good chance to finish ahead of Wake and maybe somebody else in the standings.

As for Va Tech. I'm sure they'll eventually win an ACC game or two ... the way things go in streaks, they'll have a night like FSU had today. But it's becoming pretty obvious that Seth will miss the NCAA again this year. How many years does he have to miss before the school decides to go in another direction?

What was wrong with Erick Green that he didn't play? Va. Tech hosts unc on Thursday night. Maybe they can get a win there.

Olympic Fan
01-14-2012, 09:51 PM
What was wrong with Erick Green that he didn't play? Va. Tech hosts unc on Thursday night. Maybe they can get a win there.

He reportedly sprained his left knee in practice Thursday. I don't think it's too bad -- it was a gametime decision to hold him out. No inside knowledge, but if it's that close today, he should be able to go Thursday (although how effectively, I have no idea).

I've got to bet on UNC Thursday ... as much fun as today's game was, they aren't that bad.