PDA

View Full Version : Josh McRoberts becoming a household name?

NM Duke Fan
01-08-2012, 10:46 AM
With averages of 5.7 points and 5. 7 rebounds, McRoberts has done the sort of things that make the Lakers better while leaving the sometimes glamour-weary Lakers fans inspired.

The extra pick that frees Kobe Bryant for the jump shot? That's him. That extra pass that leads to a Bynum dunk? Him again.

"I like his effort, I like how hard he plays, but boy, does he need some glasses and somebody to hem his shorts," Kurt Rambis says, laughing.

Rambis, who is doing TV work, quickly returns my call asking about his potential successor, and it's obvious fans aren't the only ones excited by the new guy.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-plaschke-20120108,0,3430968.column

ChrisP
01-08-2012, 11:03 AM
He was never my favorite Devil, but I'm happy that he's doing well. I think I could probably get by on $3 mil a year (if I HAD to, I mean). Sounds like he's a hard worker at least. Not sure I understand the comment that the columnist made about "Duke disillusionment" though. Is he trying to say that Duke was disillusioned with McBob or...the other way around?

Devilsfan
01-08-2012, 12:10 PM
He had a mind of his own while at Duke. He was more like a free thinking college student than a part of a like thinking team. He was that finger that K could never make into part of a fist. He was talented, just not a conformist.

Rudy
01-08-2012, 12:27 PM
The extra pick that frees Kobe Bryant for the jump shot? That's him. That extra pass that leads to a Bynum dunk? Him again.

"I like his effort, I like how hard he plays, . . .
Good for him. Good to see a Duke basketball work ethic helping him succeed. A little ironic, though, since teamwork was not his strength while in college. I wish him well.

phaedrus
01-08-2012, 10:41 PM
A little ironic, though, since teamwork was not his strength while in college. I wish him well.

Seems like anchoring the defense while leading the team in assists as a center are good indicators of teamwork.

UrinalCake
01-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Aah, it's been a solid two weeks since we've had a lengthy discussion on McRoberts, so I guess we're due :). I'm on the record as being a fan of his. I think he gets a bad wrap somewhat unfairly for the poor season in 2006-2007. He had some amazing dunks and always played hard as far as I can see. I'm glad he's doing well in the league. Would love to see him and the Plumlees hold a dunk contest.

Does anyone else remember his dunk against NC State in closing minutes of the 2007 ACC tournament? We ended up losing that game but that dunk was one of my all-time favorites. Can't seem to find a replay anywhere.

hq2
01-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Does anyone else remember his dunk against NC State in closing minutes of the 2007 ACC tournament? We ended up losing that game but that dunk was one of my all-time favorites. Can't seem to find a replay anywhere.

The one he did against Carolina was better; IMHO, one of the top 5 Duke dunks of all time. He caught it about 10 feet from the basket, leaned in and reverse
jammed it from about 12 feet up. It was amazing.

Glad he's doing well with the Lakers. He was always a good passer, just never a dominant inside scorer. With Bynum and Gasol to do that, he may be just
what they need.