PDA

View Full Version : Coach K and Defense

Chris Randolph
01-07-2012, 02:24 PM
I say this knowing that questioning the all time wins leading coach is a bit of a risk, but he is human like the rest of us and makes mistakes. That being said, I don't understand why he continually asks this Duke team to play high ball pressure defense at every position!

I KNOW THAT IS THE STYLE HE LIKES BUT...

He sacrificed that style in 2010 for a defensive style that kept the ball in front, took smart chances and protected the rim. And that team wins a national title mostly because of defense. Granted that team just had that "it" "special" factor but still. This year's team has proven they are not very good or equipped to play the intense ball pressure defense. People on the board have complained about our rebounding the last few games, this aggresive style of defense is another thing that leads to a lack of rebounding. Teams spread you out and attack you, makes it tougher to box out and get bodies around the rim to rebound. I think this year's team would be a perfect fit for a sagging defense and use the Plumlees/Kelly to protect the paint. Im not saying just back way off but don't pressure up at 25-30 feet. By playing a less aggresive style of defense, you force the other team to execute set plays against a set TEAM defense, as opposed to spread you out (Temple) and turn you into an individual defense that is forced to guard a guy in space for 25-30 feet.

Thoughts?

ncexnyc
01-07-2012, 02:53 PM
There's a big difference between 2010 and this year. In 2010, Coach K was forced to adapt the style of defense based on the number of available guards. This year we are loaded at that position and maybe he feels things will eventually workout once the players get accustomed to the system.

Chris Randolph
01-07-2012, 02:59 PM
There's a big difference between 2010 and this year. In 2010, Coach K was forced to adapt the style of defense based on the number of available guards. This year we are loaded at that position and maybe he feels things will eventually workout once the players get accustomed to the system.

I understand your point our depth at the guard position but regardless of having 2 or 7 guards, seems to me the style of 2010 may work better with this team. That style resulted in one of the top defensive teams in the country. Up to this point in the season, the analyst complaint about Duke is a lack of defense/ability to guard the ball.

JNort
01-07-2012, 03:17 PM
I would be fine with the defense we play if our bigs did not have to come out and guard their man on the 3pt line. Why do that? Not many C's in college bball will hit 3's no matter how open. Also to touch on rebounding them being on the arc hurts but the biggest thing I have noticed is our guards rarely block out their guys so instead of Mason and Miles rebounding with one or two defenders their size near them they are having to contend with guards and other wings running in at full speed jumping up around them

Devilsfan
01-07-2012, 04:03 PM
I wonder what has changed this year that our defense is not up to the Duke standards we are used to seeing?
Player personal, staff changes, softer players, reduced motivation? I just don't get it.

Greg_Newton
01-07-2012, 04:26 PM
I wonder what has changed this year that our defense is not up to the Duke standards we are used to seeing?
Player personal, staff changes, softer players, reduced motivation? I just don't get it.

It's pretty simple; we're at a size and/or quickness disadvantage at every perimeter position.

A condensed defense worked great in 2010, when we were a big team at every position that rebounded extremely well. However, 6'0-6'2-6'4-6'10-6'10 is a different beast than 6'3-6'5-6'8-6'8-7'1.

Devilsfan
01-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks. Just wanted someone else to put it in writing.