PDA

View Full Version : Lack of interest in this year's MBB team

kaufmjo
01-06-2012, 02:22 PM
As a life-long Duke fan I've immersed myself from November to March in teams dating back to the mid 80's. That said, I can't think of a season I've been less interested in following than this year. Maybe because we are so young and dont have guys who we've seen around for a while develop into stars but I'm struggling to keep up my interest level. I hate to admit it but its true. Maybe also because the ACC is weaker this year as well. Anyone else feeling the same way?

78Devil
01-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Yes, but in my case I think it is because of the recent trend of short term players -- after Kyrie being one and done, and now general expectation that Austin will be the same -- I'm finding it hard to let myself get too immersed or attached. There really is a difference when your stars stay for at least 3 years and that is your expectation from day 1.

Also, the "defensive intensity" is so much ingrained in us as Duke fans as part of our identity, that its hard to get as involved in a team where that aspect is struggling.

Having said that, its a very subtle difference between this year and past years, and I expect/hope that it will disappear as the ACC season gets started.

sagegrouse
01-06-2012, 02:30 PM
As a life-long Duke fan I've immersed myself from November to March in teams dating back to the mid 80's. That said, I can't think of a season I've been less interested in following than this year. Maybe because we are so young and dont have guys who we've seen around for a while develop into stars but I'm struggling to keep up my interest level. I hate to admit it but its true. Maybe also because the ACC is weaker this year as well. Anyone else feeling the same way?

I recommend -- "Take two aspirin and log on again in the morning."

This should be a good year, but without the championship glitter and promise of 2010 and 2011. Nevertheless, there are no limits on how high this team will go. And BTW we are ranked (for now) #3 on AP. I guess we are all a little spoiled.

sagegrouse

Bluedog
01-06-2012, 02:33 PM
As a life-long Duke fan I've immersed myself from November to March in teams dating back to the mid 80's. That said, I can't think of a season I've been less interested in following than this year.

You were more interested in 1994-95 than this year? I'm certainly interested in following this year to see how the team develops. This is not a "bad" team by any reasonable measure. They certainly aren't going to blow people out every game, but I find it almost more interesting to see how the various roles develop. We went into this season not really knowing how everybody was going to mesh, especially with a lot of young guys and expecting other guys like Mason and Kelly to step up for role players last year to leaders this year. Certainly, there are growing pains, but I personally find the various lineup choices and how players respond to adversity quite interesting. I haven't given up on this team at all, and think by the end of the season, we should be playing our best ball and have a chance to make some noise. Obviously, our defense must improve considerably as well as being less careless with the ball, but these are certainly items that can be addressed and this team has a lot of talent. Although I'm always interested in following every year since I started to do so, and this year is certainly no exception. :)

loldevilz
01-06-2012, 02:34 PM

I was really excited about this team during Maui and up to the OSU game, but the fact that Coach K completely changed a team that was doing so well has really turned me off this team. I'm still not sure why we got rid of the Seth Curry-Austin Rivers backcourt.

MCFinARL
01-06-2012, 02:53 PM
This may be a transitional thing as much as anything else. I remain interested in the team, but I don't feel as emotionally involved as I have for the last couple of years, and I think the reason is likely that this team doesn't have the kind of senior leadership the last couple of teams have had. Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler, and before them Scheyer, Thomas, and Zoubek, were 4-year players we saw a lot of and probably felt more invested in. I like Miles Plumlee, who seems to give his all and be a good team player, but I haven't seen him in a major role on the team before this year. And of course, it's really hard to follow an act like Nolan Smith, with his infectious personality and compelling personal story.

But if I'm a little more detached this year, I fully expect it's a temporary thing (likely to end as soon as February, in fact), and I'm not giving away my Duke gear.

Kedsy
01-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Anyone else feeling the same way?

No.

My interest level does not depend on how good the team is or how many stars we have or how strong the league is.

NSDukeFan
01-06-2012, 03:16 PM
One thing I love about college basketball is what was alluded to by the OP and that is the progression of players as they gain experience and improve. I also find it fascinating watching how coach K might change the team's styles to take advantage of the personnel. This is a younger team than the last couple, so there is more opportunity for players to grow into roles and improve and a lot of different talented pieces that could be used in many different ways.
So, is this a year that I am less interested than some previous?
Not at all.

SilkyJ
01-06-2012, 03:22 PM
No.

My interest level does not depend on how good the team is or how many stars we have or how strong the league is.

I agree with Kedsy on the above. That said, I completely understand the below point. The one-and-done thing definitely has its effects in more ways than one.

Personally, I'm still just as into this team as I was all others and expect that will continue, but I can understand why the increasingly revolving door nature of the game would effect someone's interest level.

Yes, but in my case I think it is because of the recent trend of short term players -- after Kyrie being one and done, and now general expectation that Austin will be the same -- I'm finding it hard to let myself get too immersed or attached. There really is a difference when your stars stay for at least 3 years and that is your expectation from day 1.

jimsumner
01-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Duke has a senior and four juniors in the rotation. Three of them are scoring in double figures and one is competing for the ACC lead in rebounds.

Duke has a more experienced team than it did in 1987, 2000 and 2007.

Watching role players become better players is one of the more fun things about following college sports. For me, anyway.

As for K, making tweeks, that's par for the course for developing teams.

K benched John Smith for Robert Brickey early in the 1988 season and Duke advanced to the Final Four.

K replaced Abdelnaby with Laettner midway through the 1989 season and Duke advanced to the Final Four.

Duke lost three starters from their 1990 team and K spent much of the 1991 season experimenting with the lineup, starting nine different players. That team won it all.

We all know how K retooled the team following Boozer's broken foot in 2001.

K moved 6-6 senior Dahntay Jones to power forward late in the 2003 season. That team won the ACCT and advanced to the Sweet 16.

K moved Jon Scheyer to the point in the middle of the 2009 season and Duke won the ACCT and advanced to the Sweet 16.
And that's hardly an exhaustive list.

So, I'm at a loss as to why anyone would be surprised or alarmed that K is still tinkering with a team in early January. Especially when we knew going into the season that Duke would utilize a number of different lineups and combinations in the early part of the season.

My two cents.

MChambers
01-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Duke has a senior and four juniors in the rotation. Three of them are scoring in double figures and one is competing for the ACC lead in rebounds.

Duke has a more experienced team than it did in 1987, 2000 and 2007.

Watching role players become better players is one of the more fun things about following college sports. For me, anyway.

As for K, making tweeks, that's par for the course for developing teams.

K benched John Smith for Robert Brickey early in the 1988 season and Duke advanced to the Final Four.

K replaced Abdelnaby with Laettner midway through the 1989 season and Duke advanced to the Final Four.

Duke lost three starters from their 1990 team and K spent much of the 1991 season experimenting with the lineup, starting nine different players. That team won it all.

We all know how K retooled the team following Boozer's broken foot in 2001.

K moved 6-6 senior Dahntay Jones to power forward late in the 2003 season. That team won the ACCT and advanced to the Sweet 16.

K moved Jon Scheyer to the point in the middle of the 2009 season and Duke won the ACCT and advanced to the Sweet 16.
And that's hardly an exhaustive list.

So, I'm at a loss as to why anyone would be surprised or alarmed that K is still tinkering with a team in early January. Especially when we knew going into the season that Duke would utilize a number of different lineups and combinations in the early part of the season.

My two cents.
K moved some guy named Zoubek into a starting role. Before he did so, many folks on this board were convinced that Zoubek was more or less a lost cause.

Matches
01-06-2012, 03:55 PM
I'll admit to feeling a bit less engaged this year - some years are just like that. Often it has little to do with the quality of the team. I was engaged all the way through the 95 season, was bored at times during 2010 (until the end). More likely it's me, not the team.

Isn't it perfectly natural for interest in hobbies, passions, pursuits etc. to wax and wane over one's life?

brevity
01-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Anyone else feeling the same way?

Yes. I wouldn't expect much agreement in this particular forum, but you are not alone.

Being a college basketball fan is exhausting. Some sports, like the NFL, are easier because they start with a burst of intensity, maintain that level for most of the season, and then taper off a little at the end, but only enough to mentally prepare you for the playoffs. (I'm talking about the league as a whole, and not a specific team.) It's basically a one-day investment every week with a satisfying finish; even if the Super Bowl itself is subpar, the fan feels like the season as a whole was a journey worth experiencing and repeating next season.

College basketball is not built that way. No matter how good the nonconference matchups are in November and December, it always feels like a slow start. Most fans find themselves not paying a whole lot of attention until the conference games start in January, and by then they are playing catch-up. Syracuse, for example, is #1 right now, and I have a distinct lack of curiosity about them. (Part of the reason is that it's Syracuse, where they seem to accumulate an early undefeated record every year by never leaving home.)

As for Duke, I do have a tendency to follow the program with greater intent when I grow an attachment to a particular player, which gives me a stronger point of reference. Historically, these players have been upperclassmen, and not necessarily stars or even heavy scorers. I have not (yet) found that connection this season, which reduces my connection with this team as a whole, no matter how many games I see.

Finally, while few people would want to point this out, Duke players are roughly the same age as they've always been, but you are getting older.

MChambers
01-06-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm feeling as engaged as ever, maybe more now that I have FIOS and can record games and watch when it's convenient. But having said that, I think I got spoiled with four years of Kyle Singler, the 2010 championship, and the amazing freshman talent of Irving.

Also, this year's team doesn't really have its identity yet, especially on the defensive end. Many on this board worried about the lack of a proven first rate defender on this team, and so far we don't have one. I'm starting to think Rivers may be the best, or at the most determined, perimeter defender, but that's a lot to ask of a freshman, especially one who is so good on offense.

wk2109
01-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Yes. I wouldn't expect much agreement in this particular forum, but you are not alone.

Yes -- considering the fact that there are people who read/post on this board year-round and not just from November through March, there will probably be many who disagree with the OP.

I think a big reason for any lessened interest is the new era of Duke basketball in which we find ourselves. You can generally split this team's history, at least in the last couple of decades, into 4-5 year eras with those 2-3 players who define the era. We just finished the Singler/Scheyer/Smith era, which was preceded by the Redick/Shelden era, JWill/Battier era, etc. (How the eras are split will probably differ among fans.)

Who knows, maybe this will be known as the first year of the Cook/Gbinije/Murphy era and in 3-4 years, we'll be looking back at the '11-'12 season as the start of something amazing.

For me personally, my interest hasn't lessened this year, but it's different from the past couple of seasons. The best word for me is 'curiosity,' because I'm still wondering how good this team can be. Unlike almost everyone (and some Duke fans), I still can't completely concede that UNC is better this season. I think there's still some doubt, and I think this team can make a run to New Orleans.

BluDvlsN1
01-06-2012, 05:16 PM
For me:
This is my time of the year!
I fell in love with this game before Bobby Knight was a reserve on the Ohio State championship team in the 60's!
The one Cincinnati beat 2 out of 3 years for the national championship!

I loved Knights motion offense at Indiana!

I loved Woodens run at UCLA, when freshman couldn't play varsity!
I loved the sign on Campus when Lew Alcindor was a freshman and they beat the national champion varsity in an inter squad game....the Banner... " Number 1 in the Nation... Number 2 on Campus!!

I thought ACC basketball was top notch then...
I followed Duke then, but broadly..

I read the Sports Illustrated article on K being recommended to Duke by Knight,was one of the best I had read!
I bought in immediatly on the core values of student/athlete and it has stood the test of time!

I walk through Cameron,see the banners, see the retired jersey's, see the Acc championships, see the national championships, walk through the hall by the elevators with ALL the memorbilia,and remember how it got there!
For me...nothing in college hoops compares... Nothing compares to the ultimate rivalry, nothing compares to this time of the year and Duke Basketball..

I'm old, till this time of year...then I'm a kid again..

Mike will motivate,train, tinker,adjust..and do what it takes to help each young man be the best he can be and put the best Duke team he's able to on the floor..
It ain't perfect...it's amateur athletics...we have it great and I can't wait till the next matchup..we win our fair share!! Maybe more!!!

But I have to say to a degree..we are spoiled and it shows in some comments!
I can hardly wait to see what adjustments take place!,

Standing joke at our house at Thanksgiving, my wife who loves sports as much as me and family sitting around the table..
I look at her and say..."let's talk....right after the Masters"

Tip it up, let's go...slap the floor..it's Duke basketball!!

And tomorrow is Christmas all over again ...IF your a real Dukie!!!

Are you??

Bob Green
01-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Yes -- considering the fact that there are people who read/post on this board year-round and not just from November through March, there will probably be many who disagree with the OP.

My daughter has questioned me on why I spend so much time on DBR over the summer, she says "What can you possibly be discussing in July?" My answer is simple: a lot of important stuff!

Needless to say, I am totally engaged in following the team this season.

Newton_14
01-06-2012, 09:29 PM
No.

What he said.

I am engaged as ever, and watching this team continue to develop is very intriguing and interesting. Some of us have an unfair advantage in that we can attend some games in person. For me, there is nothing like walking into Cameron and inhaling the atmosphere that is Duke Basketball in Cameron Indoor Stadium. There is just nothing like it for me. I live for those moments (which is why I bug the crap out of friends that have extra tickets! :)) and the entire experience. From the moment my foot steps on campus and instantly feeling the vibe, passing the scalpers, seeing the Crazies in line, people milling about. Then you get in the building. Looking over at the various stars sitting behind the bench like Bill Cowher, Doc Rivers, Dell Curry (& Mrs Curry:)), a Dennard sighting, or Grant Hill. This season has been extra bonus time due to the NBA lockout, so many former guys showed up. Nolan, Kyrie, Grant, Gerald, JJ all caught games. Steph Curry has been there a lot. Then watching the current Blue Devils hit the floor, K running guys in an out searching for magic while developing the rooks. Watching MP3 go nuts on the bench, K barking at ref's, Collins, Wojo, Capel giving instruction when guys come off the floor. Crazy Towel guy, the Blue Devil surfing with the band, I could go on and on.

Watching our guys win again, and again and again. Looking up and hoping their is still a lot of time left on the clock in the blowout games, or hoping there is little time left in the close games (Belmont). Trying to capture all the key plays and good and bad from the game in mental notes, so I can try to accurately share in the post game thread what I saw out there.

Finally, looking forward to hurrying home so I can login and talk to all you fine folks about how the game went. I live for it. Some call it obsession, but I call it passion and pure enjoyment. Coming here to talk about it is a huge part of the experience. Getting the insight and perspective from others who watched the game either in person, TV, or the Web. Learning more about a game I dearly love from reading the DBR (some darn fine basketball minds on this board) and discussing the games...

Tired of it? Less enthused than years past? Not a chance.

jv001
01-06-2012, 10:23 PM
I remember Duke basketball in the 70's when we were not so good. If the game wasn't on tv, I tried to find it on the radio. Since Coach K got the program to another level, I may have gotten a little spoiled and expect too much each and every year, but I don't give up on the team. I usually have my favorite players on every team. I see absolutely no difference in this team than the 1991, 1992, 2001 and 2010 teams. I want to watch every game and keeping up with the team on DBR and BDN is something I do every day. GoDuke!

rthomas
01-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Back in the old days. And not that long ago really. There was maybe one, but not more than one or a maybe two meaningful games by this time of the year. Usually none. In the old days, January was the start of the year. I'm really excited. I can't wait for Georgia Tech tomorrow.

rsvman
01-06-2012, 10:42 PM
For me:
This is my time of the year!
I fell in love with this game before Bobby Knight was a reserve on the Ohio State championship team in the 60's!
The one Cincinnati beat 2 out of 3 years for the national championship!

I loved Knights motion offense at Indiana!

I loved Woodens run at UCLA, when freshman couldn't play varsity!
I loved the sign on Campus when Lew Alcindor was a freshman and they beat the national champion varsity in an inter squad game....the Banner... " Number 1 in the Nation... Number 2 on Campus!!

I thought ACC basketball was top notch then...
I followed Duke then, but broadly..

I read the Sports Illustrated article on K being recommended to Duke by Knight,was one of the best I had read!
I bought in immediatly on the core values of student/athlete and it has stood the test of time!

I walk through Cameron,see the banners, see the retired jersey's, see the Acc championships, see the national championships, walk through the hall by the elevators with ALL the memorbilia,and remember how it got there!
For me...nothing in college hoops compares... Nothing compares to the ultimate rivalry, nothing compares to this time of the year and Duke Basketball..

I'm old, till this time of year...then I'm a kid again..

Mike will motivate,train, tinker,adjust..and do what it takes to help each young man be the best he can be and put the best Duke team he's able to on the floor..
It ain't perfect...it's amateur athletics...we have it great and I can't wait till the next matchup..we win our fair share!! Maybe more!!!

But I have to say to a degree..we are spoiled and it shows in some comments!
I can hardly wait to see what adjustments take place!,

Standing joke at our house at Thanksgiving, my wife who loves sports as much as me and family sitting around the table..
I look at her and say..."let's talk....right after the Masters"

Tip it up, let's go...slap the floor..it's Duke basketball!!

And tomorrow is Christmas all over again ...IF your a real Dukie!!!

Are you??

Yes, yes I am!

JNort
01-07-2012, 12:57 AM
As somebody said earlier (Kedsey perhaps?) my happiness and interest do not depend on how good we are or the conference as a whole. I do get what your saying though. Try making a list of things you like about this team, its players, or things you want to see this year, etc... and focus on those when you are feeling down about the season.

For instance I want to see if Rivers wins ROTY, I would like to see if Cook develops like I think he will (into a first or second team All ACC quality pg) by the end of the year, I am really excited about the game against UNC because I am positive we will win at least one game hopefully both, I would like to see Curry, Rivers and Mason in particular to dominate UNC just for laughs because of how angry that would make them would makes me warm inside, I am also curious to see how coach fixes the defense. The End

Just a partial example

kaufmjo
01-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Wide range of responses from die hards to more balanced. I agree with a lot of the points made and feel the era-teams are what really made Duke special. I hope the start of the ACC games brings back the fire that propels us into March

Billy Dat
01-12-2012, 03:20 PM
I just reviewed Sports Illustrated.com's mid-year awards....Duke doesn't get a whiff in any category:

-All American/Player of the Year candidates
-Best Freshmen
-Breakout players
-Outstanding coaching jobs
-Game of the Year (Maui final vs KU already on the scrap heap thanks to IU v Kentucky)
-Biggest dissapointment
-Team likely to crash in the second half

Not one Duke mention in the whole article.

Basically, for a Duke team, we appear to be just "average". Granted, our "average" is a spectacular season for most anyone else, which goes to show how high the bar has been set over 900+ wins for K, and may explain why some are not as into this team as this thread suggests.

I say we've got everyone right where we want them...forget about Duke...we're going to get better and make our mark this year!!!!!!!! Who's with me? (I am now running outside the Delta House ala Bluto Blutarsky...)

BluDvlsN1
01-12-2012, 03:53 PM
I just reviewed Sports Illustrated.com's mid-year awards....Duke doesn't get a whiff in any category:

-Best Freshmen
-Breakout players
-Game of the Year (Maui final vs KU already on the scrap heap thanks to IU v Kentucky)
-Biggest dissapointment

Basically, for a Duke team, we appear to be just "average". Granted, our "average" is a spectacular season for most anyone else, which goes to show how high the bar has been set over 900+ wins for K, and may explain why some are not as into this team as this thread suggests.

I say we've got everyone right where we want them...forget about Duke...we're going to get better and make our mark this year!!!!!!!! Who's with me? (I am now running outside the Delta House ala Bluto Blutarsky...)

You got it!!
No chest thumping, no saber rattling.....
Just an all out stealth, gradual under the radar (non typical) DUKE, sneak attack...
Take em on one by one, learn, grow, (if we lose one) learn and grow some more, stay focused on end goal,
Get the offensive and defensive chemistry right..and grow some more, we have 8 games till THAT game..
That a lot of practice time and a lot of playing time...Shhhh.. "please don't throw me into that briar patch"

Count me in...

ChillinDuke
01-12-2012, 04:00 PM
You got it!!
No chest thumping, no saber rattling.....
Just an all out stealth, gradual under the radar (non typical) DUKE, sneak attack...
Take em on one by one, learn, grow, (if we lose one) learn and grow some more, stay focused on end goal,
Get the offensive and defensive chemistry right..and grow some more, we have 8 games till THAT game..
That a lot of practice time and a lot of playing time...Shhhh.. "please don't throw me into that briar patch"

Count me in...

I have absolutely, positively no idea what the majority of the above quoted text means.

But count me in too.

- Chillin

Billy Dat
01-12-2012, 04:16 PM
I have absolutely, positively no idea what the majority of the above quoted text means.

But count me in too.

- Chillin

That's the kind of blind loyalty this movement needs..... I AM SPARTACUS!

mgtr
01-12-2012, 04:16 PM
I am in the camp of "always interested" instead of "interested with a spectacular team." But there is a subtle difference -- I love the fact that K is "tinkering." I really don't think that he will make changes that result in a decline -- why would he? Brain freeze? I don't think that Quinn Cook is the best thing since sliced bread, but he knows more about running the point than Curry or Rivers, and he certainly can protect the ball and still generate assists. Probably the best shot we have unless by tinkering more, K finds another combo that works better.
My bottom line is that I want to win every game, but if we have to lose some, better now than February or March!

BluDvlsN1
01-12-2012, 04:18 PM

But count me in too.

- Chillin

Maybe to eclectic...
Heck I confuse myself half the time!!

In responding to BillDat's comment that we got em right where we want em!

How bout this, let us be "underrated" over looked, take the underdog role for a change
And give em a "haymaker" when their not expecting it..

Any better?

Oriole Way
01-12-2012, 04:35 PM
No offense to the original poster, but anyone who is struggling to retain interest in this team is absolutely spoiled by Duke's sustained excellence.

We have problems 99% of college basketball would love to have. We've got several potential NBA players on the roster, and high ceiling before reaching our potential.

The 2007 team was pretty dysfunctional and hard to watch by Duke standards. This team has a lot more skilled, talented players and more depth. I will continue to watch every game with great interest.

Saratoga2
01-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Maybe to eclectic...
Heck I confuse myself half the time!!

In responding to BillDat's comment that we got em right where we want em!

How bout this, let us be "underrated" over looked, take the underdog role for a change
And give em a "haymaker" when their not expecting it..

Any better?

If you think Duke will sneak up on anyone, I think your kidding yourself. Everyone is well aware that Duke is always one of the top 10 teams in the country. This year is no different.

cptnflash
01-12-2012, 08:16 PM

I'm not sure about less interesting, but this team is definitely less likeable than recent iterations. I think that's the difference for me. We were totally spoiled by the Scheyer/Smith/Singler era, and Kyrie was as easy to root for as a 1 & done could possibly be. I still have a soft spot for Andre because of his big shots against Baylor, but otherwise, there's nobody on this team that I get emotional over.

hurleyfor3
01-12-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm interested in seeing whether all the elements of harmony will come together. Sometimes they do (1991, 2010) -- and in those years you never would have known in mid-January we had a national champion on our hands. Often they don't (2008, 2011). Sometimes everything runs great in January and things fall apart in March. Hard to imagine that kind of scenario this year. But you can't say there isn't upside remaining. That's more than enough to keep me interested.

throatybeard
01-12-2012, 09:47 PM
I will admit to a great deal of fatigue on my own part but I doubt it has much, or anything to do with the composition of the roster in one sex of one sport (MBB) in one year.

I'm really tired of the sport of basketball, frankly, and this is just one photo in a whole album of my loss of sports one by one. I find this surprising and perplexing, frankly, because I liked basketball when I was a kid and it was the only sport I ever played competitively. I think my sportsfan zenith was around my frosh/sophomore year (1994-96). At that time, I was fully on top of football (both), basketball (MBB, WBB, NBA even, which is hard to believe now), MLB, NHL, golf, figure skating, stock cars, and the Olympic sports a bit, horse racing a bit, international soccer a bit, and Magnus ver Magnusson and the wonderful world of World's Strongest Man. Probably some other stuff I've forgotten.

Gradually though gradskool and then having a job, and now having a kid, I've lost a sport here and there till there's hardly anything left in my sports consciousness other than football. On paper, I'm a Leafs and Canes fan, but I don't get CenterIce so I only see them in the standings. I root for the Blues to do well, but then I'll be doing something like typing a pointless post at the same time that the Blues are playing the Canucks for first place in the West at the same time Duke is on TV and Mississippi State is on TV. I'm supposed to be a Braves fan, first and foremost, but they went off national TV in 2007. It's fun to be in an intense baseball town here, and I'm very proud that my son has four 4T 2011 World Series shirts at age 2. Even then, I have no idea what's going on in the American League all year, and when I'm doing fieldwork in Mississippi in the summer, I space on both the Braves and the Cardinals.

Men's College basketball is horribly overexposed, and that doesn't help. Before the NCAAT, I only watch my teams. The television schedule is just choked with those November/December tournaments in every place that has a palm tree. College basketball would be great if they cut about six games from the schedule and started on 1 December.

There are just more important things in life than watching sports on TV. It's fine, but it's only one interest. I'll be doing some trivial task for my job, wondering why I've never read Things Fall Apart, or seen more than two Vermeers in person, or had more conversations with the most fascinating people I know. Duke v Colorado State three months before the ACCT and over a month after the season has started ranks well below that.

I also have a lot of reservations about how sports have hijacked our Universities.

I think if I still lived in the Research Triangle, things might be different. But at this point I'm dealing with my fourth favorite of the four major North American teams sports. I want Duke to win. But if we don't, I need to get on one of my four or five blown deadlines, or pay some bills, or prepare for my Spring courses, or read my kid a book.

If I told 1996 me this, he'd think I was crazy. I don't understand where he got the energy to keep up with a dozen different sports. And do his schoolwork. And not claw his eyes out when someone is hitting someone else in the lane. I suspect I'll later hate myself for my degree of apathy during Krzyzewski's last few years.

The 2011-12 Duke MBB team will be what they be.

slower
01-13-2012, 11:36 AM

-Best Freshmen
-Breakout players
-Biggest dissapointment

None of the "experts" are picking UNC to win it all, either. Certainly a change from the preseason.

OldPhiKap
01-13-2012, 11:43 AM
I can already tell that we're "the least-deserving #1 seed."

Book it.

Matches
01-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Men's College basketball is horribly overexposed, and that doesn't help. Before the NCAAT, I only watch my teams. The television schedule is just choked with those November/December tournaments in every place that has a palm tree. College basketball would be great if they cut about six games from the schedule and started on 1 December.

There are just more important things in life than watching sports on TV. It's fine, but it's only one interest. I'll be doing some trivial task for my job, wondering why I've never read Things Fall Apart, or seen more than two Vermeers in person, or had more conversations with the most fascinating people I know. Duke v Colorado State three months before the ACCT and over a month after the season has started ranks well below that.

I agree with a lot of this. I've gotten to where I have little interest in watching non-Duke games, and I'll skip a Duke game here and there also. I've started DVRing the games and picking them up about an hour after tipoff, thus ignoring the commercials and inane commentary. I really do think the quality of the MBB games has dropped pretty noticeably, and many times over the last few years I've enjoyed watching Duke win but have not found the games especially compelling.

SupaDave
01-13-2012, 12:01 PM
I can't write what I really want to write but I'm happy to say that I'm glad the majority of the posters here still enjoy the game whether their passion has waned or not. If you love something it can be a lot like a marriage. There's gonna be ups and downs. Hills and valleys. And days where you don't even want to hear that person's name. But, the years go by and somehow you find yourself in the same place. Loving the same thing. Remembering why you did it in the first place.

It's all love. So don't worry. We wont hold it against you...

flyingdutchdevil
01-13-2012, 12:29 PM
I became a Duke fan in 2003 (ie my freshman year of college). Fell in love with the basketball program ever since. I've had years where I couldn't stop following the team and recruiting (2008-2009 season, 2005-2006 season) and years where I wasn't that invested (2006-2007 season).

This year, I am following the team very closely. Not as close as 2008-09 (my man crush on Henderson was in full-bloom at that point), but still very closely. And the reason is this: usually, and especially in the beginning of the season, the Duke sum of the parts are significantly more valuable than the sum of the individual talent. This year, the individual talent is greater than the sum. But every game, you are seeing the team come together more, realize their potential and limitations, and use each other's assets. I'm sure that by the end of the season, this team will be unrecognizable from what it is right now.

It's like watching an Aaron Sorkin show - the character development throughout a season is phenomenal. You're at the edge of your seat because you have no idea what is going to happen next.

I really like the individuals on this team (from Redick to Hendo to Nolan to Quinn, my Duke man crush will continue forever), but I like where this team is going as a group.

Go Duke!

ArtVandelay
01-13-2012, 12:57 PM

I think a big reason for any lessened interest is the new era of Duke basketball in which we find ourselves. You can generally split this team's history, at least in the last couple of decades, into 4-5 year eras with those 2-3 players who define the era. We just finished the Singler/Scheyer/Smith era, which was preceded by the Redick/Shelden era, JWill/Battier era, etc. (How the eras are split will probably differ among fans.)

Who knows, maybe this will be known as the first year of the Cook/Gbinije/Murphy era and in 3-4 years, we'll be looking back at the '11-'12 season as the start of something amazing.

For me personally, my interest hasn't lessened this year, but it's different from the past couple of seasons. The best word for me is 'curiosity,' because I'm still wondering how good this team can be. Unlike almost everyone (and some Duke fans), I still can't completely concede that UNC is better this season. I think there's still some doubt, and I think this team can make a run to New Orleans.

I think your point about the "eras" is a good one. I am following the team closely, but I have to admit I find myself less emotionally invested in the team this year than in any other year in recent memory. I think it's partly because of the reason you identify here. Most teams of recent vintage seemed to have a handful of "team-defining" players and/or some returning, established stars that I identified with. While this year's team certainly has returning vets, most of them have either not been around for too long (e.g., Curry) or played peripheral roles. I am still waiting for my passion for this group of players to develop a little bit.

I forecast this a bit last year when I posted that we would not appreciate how much we'd miss Kyle Singler until this season. He was a 4-year starter, which is incredibly rare these days, and it still feels a bit like there's a void on this team left by Kyle and Nolan that has yet to be filled.

This is related to some of the overall knocks on this year's team, namely that it lacks "identity" or "leadership," etc. Of course, that's also part of what makes this season so interesting: the team is such a blank slate that my expectations are so much less set than they have been in seasons past. The upside and downside of this team are both pretty high, IMO.

throatybeard
01-13-2012, 01:20 PM
It's like watching an Aaron Sorkin show - the character development throughout a season is phenomenal. You're at the edge of your seat because you have no idea what is going to happen next.

Brilliant!

Now I know what Duke Men's Basketball needs to fully win me back: more pedeconferencing!

Let's get Wojo and Collins on the blocking for the huddle-pedeconferences. Preferably at our next practice. Heck, Coach K is so famous he could get Sorkin and Schlamme to Durham for a quick pedeconferencing tutorial.

If they aren't available, maybe the people from House, MD. Of course then, Coach K would probably end up with a cane in most of the shots.

slower
01-13-2012, 01:32 PM
I can already tell that we're "the least-deserving #1 seed."

Book it.

Probably won't be an issue this year.

tele
01-13-2012, 01:48 PM
beats going ice fishing...

OldPhiKap
01-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Curling is whack.

I enjoy this team although I don't think it has really developed its character yet. More to come in the days ahead. . . .

weezie
01-13-2012, 02:27 PM
.... If you love something it can be a lot like a marriage. There's gonna be ups and downs. Hills and valleys. And days where you don't even want to hear that person's name. But, the years go by and somehow you find yourself in the same place. Loving the same thing. Remembering why you did it in the first place....

This made me chuckle at first.
I just with I could get you all into Cameron for a game to revive your verve!
Makes me realize again that I am lucky to be able to drive for a game, warrior road hours included.
I actually do think of other DBR'ers when I'm there. I'm cheering on behalf of "youse" guys, too.

weezie
01-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Curling is whack.

Who says it's whack?! :cool:

RockyMtDevil
01-13-2012, 02:40 PM
One of the main reasons why I can't allow myself to slowly become disinterested in the program is the fact that with each passing day, the K era is coming to a close. These are the golden years whether we are predicted as national champs or if we are a growing and maturing second tier team fighting for every win, and admittedly getting most of them. There will be years in the not so distant future where we will all sit and wish for a 14-2 team that has still not discovered itself.

Cherish it while you can. I remember growing up a Cowboys fan in the Tom Landry era, a St. Louis Cardinal fan in the Whitey Hertzog era and neither one of those can possibly compare with the level of passion and excellence exhibited in the K era.

30 More Years!!!

Kedsy
01-13-2012, 03:11 PM
One of the main reasons why I can't allow myself to slowly become disinterested in the program is the fact that with each passing day, the K era is coming to a close. These are the golden years whether we are predicted as national champs or if we are a growing and maturing second tier team fighting for every win, and admittedly getting most of them. There will be years in the not so distant future where we will all sit and wish for a 14-2 team that has still not discovered itself.

Cherish it while you can. I remember growing up a Cowboys fan in the Tom Landry era, a St. Louis Cardinal fan in the Whitey Hertzog era and neither one of those can possibly compare with the level of passion and excellence exhibited in the K era.

30 More Years!!!

Well said.

mgtr
01-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Curling is whack.

Now, if you want a whack, try hurling!;):)

throatybeard
01-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Curling is whack.

Devilsfan
01-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Just finished watching my man caves' new paint dry, now I guess I watch a re-run of the Duke-UVA game.
I guess we all miss the days when we were the baddest team on the planet and had the Brands, Battiers, J-Wills, JJs, etc.

JNort
01-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Just finished watching my man caves' new paint dry, now I guess I watch a re-run of the Duke-UVA game.
I guess we all miss the days when we were the baddest team on the planet and had the Brands, Battiers, J-Wills, JJs, etc.

Or Singlers, Nolans and Kyries.

Devilsfan
01-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Yeah, the "good old days". Modern Americans, myself included have extremely short memories. What have you done lately?Many say it's easier getting to the top than staying on top!

Jarhead
01-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Maybe this thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?27153-MOTM-Duke-vs-Virginia-(Jan.-12-2012)) exemplifies the perceived lack of interest. If there isn't as much interest this year, it can be blamed on the preseason, and early season hype. Expectations have not been as high this year, but there have been several years over the last half century that have equaled, or exceeded this season's lower expectations. We still manage to win championships at many levels. Go Duke.
http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

the_grad_student
01-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Seems like the lack of interest has spread to the undergrads. Very weak crowd against Wake and word from the Ushers (which I am one) and the line monitors is that about 25% of section 17 - the undergrad section - will be sold to general admission until the end of the year with UNC the only exception. Good news is that grad student turnout is strong as ever. Go Duke!

uh_no
01-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Seems like the lack of interest has spread to the undergrads. Very weak crowd against Wake and word from the Ushers (which I am one) and the line monitors is that about 25% of section 17 - the undergrad section - will be sold to general admission until the end of the year with UNC the only exception. Good news is that grad student turnout is strong as ever. Go Duke!

I think its the unfortunate result of a lack of big games in the ACC. virginia was kind of big, but we pretty much have 1 "big" acc game a year and that's UNC.

People might go on and on about how the ACC is actually better than public perception, but in the end the public perception is all that matters. If I were a student I would go to every game, but the only acc games that' i'd be remotely excited about would be UNC and virginia, and maybe FSU now, but seeing duke beat up wake forest or BC or whoever else might come to town is just not an exciting sell for students

jv001
01-19-2012, 10:29 PM
I think its the unfortunate result of a lack of big games in the ACC. virginia was kind of big, but we pretty much have 1 "big" acc game a year and that's UNC.

People might go on and on about how the ACC is actually better than public perception, but in the end the public perception is all that matters. If I were a student I would go to every game, but the only acc games that' i'd be remotely excited about would be UNC and virginia, and maybe FSU now, but seeing duke beat up wake forest or BC or whoever else might come to town is just not an exciting sell for students

Like you uh no, I would go to every game as well. I do everything I can to watch every game on tv unless it's on Sunday or Wed. night(church), but I dvr those games. I even go back and re-watch some of them. Every Duke team gets my attention. Year end and year out. GoDuke!

Newton_14
01-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Like you uh no, I would go to every game as well. I do everything I can to watch every game on tv unless it's on Sunday or Wed. night(church), but I dvr those games. I even go back and re-watch some of them. Every Duke team gets my attention. Year end and year out. GoDuke!

Crowd was weak tonight. Worst of the year imo. It took until right at 7 before Section 17 filled baseline to baseline. I was shocked. They were not packed tight either. K tried to inspire noise out of them a couple of times in the 2nd half. Just no energy in the building. Very different from the UVA game where CIS was packed to the max and loud. The cupcake games drew better than tonight.

Bigdukeboi22
01-19-2012, 10:42 PM
whether 31-0 or 0-30 I stay number one committed and interested in Duke basketball. I love the way this team is developing and the future looks bright for Duke basketball. Go Duke!

Bluedevil114
01-20-2012, 12:01 AM
whether 31-0 or 0-30 I stay number one committed and interested in Duke basketball. I love the way this team is developing and the future looks bright for Duke basketball. Go Duke!

This is a ridiculous thread. I have rooted on Duke since I was 6yrs old and I am going on 39 yrs old in the coming months. You are either a fan or you are not. You can not call yourself a fan only when you are predicted to win a National Championship because you have guys like Singler and Smith on your team and the top recruit in Irving. You are either a fan or not. I am a fan through thick and thin. Whether it is 1995 or 1999. You cheer your team on and you deal with the highs and lows. I watch every single game even in the years I had to buy ESPN Full Court for the two games that were not aired. This team is fun because there is no "one guy" like the Redick years. When Redick was off it was usually a loss. This team is so balanced and you never know who will be the MOTM. I love Duke basketball and that will never change. When you live in DC and the teams you root for are the Redskins, Capitals, Orioles and Wizards then it feels great being a Duke fan. A bad Duke season is winning 22 games. Get over it. Being a Duke basketball fan is a privilege and one you never take for granted. Thank You Coach K!!

mo.st.dukie
01-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Keep the big picture in mind too. It's not just about one season. Think about each season from 06-07 to 09-10. The 07 team was far worse and far younger than this year's team. Scheyer, Smith, and Singler were just young pups during the 08 season (another season worse than this year's). And us fans, at least the ones who stick with the team through tough times, got to enjoy seeing those players develop from year to year. Don't get so bogged down on just this one individual season. Think about how the experience these players gain this year could help them to be a truly dominant team next year when a good majority of the team returns (certainly losing Miles, could lose Mason and Austin but the rest are definitely back). And also don't get so caught up in over-analyzing each game looking for things that will doom the team in March. The tough times (and these really aren't tough times) make the good times that much better. For me as a fan the whole journey from 2007 to 2010 was truly remarkable and inspiring. I don't know what this group has in store for the rest of this year or future seasons but I am sure going to enjoy the journey even if they aren't dominating ever single opponent.

JamminJoe
01-20-2012, 12:40 AM
I could probably count the number of Duke TV games that I've missed in the past 20 years (not counting this) on one hand. I've missed more than that in just this one season. I would probably say Austin having one foot out the door since the day he committed is a big reason. Not that I have anything against him, of course I want him to do well. But at least Luol and Kyrie both had me believing they would stay beyond their freshman seasons. And I'm sure having a very weak ACC is also a big factor.The team is doing well and it's nice to see some focus on the inside game, so I hope I turn my mindset around.

Lord Ash
01-20-2012, 01:16 AM
I wonder if the feeling of an inability to "connect" with this season for a fan might have something to do with the fact that this team doesn't hinge on that most traditional of Duke abilities; playing D. I know for me the primary thing that I connect to each year is that defensive prowess and determination... maybe this years team doesn't feel traditionally "Duke" because the D isn't what we are used to, and to play great D takes such dedication and heart, and so some people cannot connect as easily?

Just a theory.

Neals384
01-20-2012, 01:21 AM
Bieing from Southern Oregon, i became a Duke fan the day Kyle Singler joined the team. I never expected to stay a Duke fan after he graduated, but DBR is the reason I'm still rooting,. The discussions here are great; really helping me understand and appreciate the game.

That said, I agree with the op that my interest level is lower this year. I've missed a couple games and it didn't really bother me.

On the other hand, those who say the coach K era is very special have a point!

Neals384
01-20-2012, 01:25 AM
I will admit to a great deal of fatigue on my own part but I doubt it has much, or anything to do with the composition of the roster in one sex of one sport (MBB) in one year.

I'm really tired of the sport of basketball, frankly, and this is just one photo in a whole album of my loss of sports one by one. I find this surprising and perplexing, frankly, because I liked basketball when I was a kid and it was the only sport I ever played competitively. I think my sportsfan zenith was around my frosh/sophomore year (1994-96). At that time, I was fully on top of football (both), basketball (MBB, WBB, NBA even, which is hard to believe now), MLB, NHL, golf, figure skating, stock cars, and the Olympic sports a bit, horse racing a bit, international soccer a bit, and Magnus ver Magnusson and the wonderful world of World's Strongest Man. Probably some other stuff I've forgotten.

Gradually though gradskool and then having a job, and now having a kid, I've lost a sport here and there till there's hardly anything left in my sports consciousness other than football. On paper, I'm a Leafs and Canes fan, but I don't get CenterIce so I only see them in the standings. I root for the Blues to do well, but then I'll be doing something like typing a pointless post at the same time that the Blues are playing the Canucks for first place in the West at the same time Duke is on TV and Mississippi State is on TV. I'm supposed to be a Braves fan, first and foremost, but they went off national TV in 2007. It's fun to be in an intense baseball town here, and I'm very proud that my son has four 4T 2011 World Series shirts at age 2. Even then, I have no idea what's going on in the American League all year, and when I'm doing fieldwork in Mississippi in the summer, I space on both the Braves and the Cardinals.

I also have a lot of reservations about how sports have hijacked our Universities.

I think if I still lived in the Research Triangle, things might be different. But at this point I'm dealing with my fourth favorite of the four major North American teams sports. I want Duke to win. But if we don't, I need to get on one of my four or five blown deadlines, or pay some bills, or prepare for my Spring courses, or read my kid a book.

If I told 1996 me this, he'd think I was crazy. I don't understand where he got the energy to keep up with a dozen different sports. And do his schoolwork. And not claw his eyes out when someone is hitting someone else in the lane. I suspect I'll later hate myself for my degree of apathy during Krzyzewski's last few years.

The 2011-12 Duke MBB team will be what they be.

Throaty, go to the doctor and have your testosterone level checked. You're way too young to be losing interest in sports.

Native
01-20-2012, 01:59 AM
Wrote a blog post with my views on Cameron and lack of interest in the team from a student perspective, amid concerns on TDD and other places that the Crazies have lost their edge and what we can do to get it back. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Go Devils!

kftfl.tumblr.com

anon
01-20-2012, 04:50 AM
I wonder if the feeling of an inability to "connect" with this season for a fan might have something to do with the fact that this team doesn't hinge on that most traditional of Duke abilities; playing D. I know for me the primary thing that I connect to each year is that defensive prowess and determination... maybe this years team doesn't feel traditionally "Duke" because the D isn't what we are used to, and to play great D takes such dedication and heart, and so some people cannot connect as easily?

Just a theory.

One that I'll subscribe to. It's not just defense, though. Our team doesn't feel like a traditional Duke team in several ways, and I think the root cause is that the overall experience level and maturity of the team is a lot lower than usual. Let's hope that this crop of kids stays with the program and learns from each other and from our coaching staff. That's what happened for the seniors in 2010, which was just a incredible season for that group even disregarding the NC. (Kyle and Nolan fall under that category too.)

oldnavy
01-20-2012, 07:27 AM
I have had experienced less enthusiaism this year as well, but it has nothing to do with the team. Work is going well and I am much busier with my business and that accounts for some of the malaise. However, I read a book called Radical by David Platt and that has changed my perspective on most things.

I really like this team and still will watch, but I have cut back on the time spent other than watching games and a few minutes a day on DBR. Even gave up a ticket to the VT game Saturday to go to a missions conf at the church.... radical!

jv001
01-20-2012, 07:44 AM
This is a ridiculous thread. I have rooted on Duke since I was 6yrs old and I am going on 39 yrs old in the coming months. You are either a fan or you are not. You can not call yourself a fan only when you are predicted to win a National Championship because you have guys like Singler and Smith on your team and the top recruit in Irving. You are either a fan or not. I am a fan through thick and thin. Whether it is 1995 or 1999. You cheer your team on and you deal with the highs and lows. I watch every single game even in the years I had to buy ESPN Full Court for the two games that were not aired. This team is fun because there is no "one guy" like the Redick years. When Redick was off it was usually a loss. This team is so balanced and you never know who will be the MOTM. I love Duke basketball and that will never change. When you live in DC and the teams you root for are the Redskins, Capitals, Orioles and Wizards then it feels great being a Duke fan. A bad Duke season is winning 22 games. Get over it. Being a Duke basketball fan is a privilege and one you never take for granted. Thank You Coach K!!

I too have been a fan through the lean years(most of the 70's) and I was still a big Duke fan. I've seen some special players come through Duke University and love each and every one of them. These players have showed class, honor and a love for the school they played for. In Coach K and Coach Bubas, I have been blessed to see two of the greatest college basketball coaches in history. I will remain a Duke fan until I take that last breath or my Savior comes. GoDuke!

Steven43
01-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Throaty, go to the doctor and have your testosterone level checked. You're way too young to be losing interest in sports.

That testosterone level comment was funny. However, I agree with a lot of what throatybeard wrote. When you're working full-time, own a home, have three cars, have a wife and kids, volunteer at your kids' school, work out regularly, deal with finances, read books, watch movies etc, etc. blah blah blah, well, sports just don't have as much importance in one's life as they did before all those things. If they do, you don't need your testosterone levels checked, you need your head examined. And, yes, sports have hijacked our universities to a degree, and it's wrong on so many levels. Still, I root hard for Duke and attend several games every year and watch the rest on tv. I like this team just fine, though not as much as last year's team, which would have repeated as national champions had Kyrie not gotten injured. I still haven't fully recovered from that nightmare Arizona game.

Kathy S
01-20-2012, 04:35 PM

I could not agree more, and I wish the mods would lock this thread. How do you think it affects players who visit DBR to read the expressions of disinterest here? What about kids we are trying to recruit? Those of you who aren't interested have made your point. Let's move on.

Steven43
01-20-2012, 05:44 PM
I could not agree more, and I wish the mods would lock this thread. How do you think it affects players who visit DBR to read the expressions of disinterest here? What about kids we are trying to recruit? Those of you who aren't interested have made your point. Let's move on.

I don't think it's about Duke Basketball, really. I think you will find that people around the country just aren't as intent on watching sports as they used to be. I think it's simply the culture in which we now live. Even though I watch fewer sporting events than I did in the 80's and 90's, I still make it a priority to watch, read about, and discuss the Blue Devils. No other team or sport comes close. I think you will find that the vast majority of Duke fans feel the same.

muzikfrk75
01-20-2012, 05:59 PM

Yes...not sure why exactly.

toooskies
01-20-2012, 06:12 PM
This is a unique team, and one that doesn't have "star" power. And I say that not because we don't have star-caliber players; anyone in our top-8 rotation could be a star on at least half of the other ACC teams this year. (I may be too generous with Miles and Tyler, although they are definitely top-caliber "glue" guys for this team.) But none of those players have enough separation from the pack to produce meaningful separation. So this year isn't the story of Nolan as NPOY candidate, or The Big Three, or of entering freshmen. Instead, we have players who aren't quite at their apex. Andre, Seth, Austin, and Quinn all show flashes of brilliance; Mason can hang with the best in the country in the interior, and Ryan often out-classes inferior competition; Miles and Tyler just make the team play better. But it's not the Season of Rivers, as ESPN tried to hype Duke as; he can disappear for a game and we can still win. It's not the Season of Curry, where he dominates his team's scoring like at Liberty. It's not the Season of Dawkins, where he turns into the next Redick.

Nope. Not a storyline-friendly team. Instead, we've instead got a team where what we have isn't consistent from game to game. But for the most part, it's been really good, and you can see patterns developing as the season goes along. But since we don't have a storyline yet, that makes us hard for other teams to get a handle on. Which might set up some awfully good storylines come March and April.

feldspar
01-20-2012, 06:32 PM
This is just what happens when you have 4-year guys of the caliber of Jon Scheyer, Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith graduate. I mean, I love Miles but he's not a night-in and night-out star, the kind of player you turn your TV on just to watch. It's different not watching Duke basketball and seeing Kyle Singler's steely determination or Nolan's 1,000-watt smile out there on the court.

Every year, there's usually a standard "storyline." 2010 it was "Can Jon run the point/Zoubs emergence/national championship." 2011 was the never ending "toe watch" and just enjoying Kyle's and Nolan's senior years, hoping we could still gut out a championship even with a limited Kyrie Irving. This year's storyline is way more complicated, because it's hard to pin it down to one or two things. You've got Austin Rivers, but he's been inconsistent. There's Seth Curry, but he (in my opinion) has had a very productive but still quiet year. Andre Dawkins can be lights out one night, then disappear the next. Mason Plumlee's the same way. Ryan Kelly is an everyman player, but his game doesn't exude flash or SportsCenter highlights. Quinn Cook has been good enough to crack the rotation, but not well enough to make national headlines (not that this is a bad thing, I'm just speaking to the issue at hand).

By this time of the year, our storyline is usually mostly established. This year, it seems like this team's still trying to find its identity. We might just find, as we look back on this season, that this year's storyline ends up being that we're one of the most balanced offensive attacks in Duke history, making it so opponents can't figure out a game plan to stop us. That, and finding our identity on defense.

On one hand, that lack of a "storyline" or "identity" can certainly make it hard to connect with a team. I've felt that at times this year. But I know that last night, I couldn't help but smile seeing Andre Dawkins, a kid that has come so far and gone through so much during his time at Duke, smiling from ear to ear and just having fun out there as he had the best half of basketball in his career. Those are the kind of moments that make you connect with a team, and I'm confident we'll be seeing more of them still to come this year.

NovaScotian
01-20-2012, 06:33 PM

maybe there's just more going on in your life right now, so you don't feel like you need to fill the void with basketball.

Gthoma2a
01-21-2012, 01:20 AM
There are a few reasons that I don't feel as enthusiastic about this team. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but they are unable to separate. They are a good team, but, even in games that are never really in doubt, we fail to show any sort of dominance. Our defense is too relaxed at times and our offense is not fluid. A lot of people say they hate a blowout, but it is great to keep a fanbase motivated behind a team. These close games just show that we are too sloppy to play a full 40 of GREAT basketball. It is a young team, though. We are just spoiled by Kyle's effort, Nolan's everything, Gerald's moves, J-Will's ability to take over, JJ's ridiculous scoring ability and the magic of Scheyer. This is just not one of those teams, but that doesn't mean that it isn't capable of winning a lot of games and making a run.

Sandman
01-21-2012, 02:41 AM
Haven't read all the posts to this thread, so this may have already been discussed. I think one reason why this year's passion level may seem down is because of the caliber of the opposition. It's hard to get passionate when playing a team like BC with 38 players no one has ever heard of before -- or a Wake team with a coach and players so colorless. Where's Bones McKinney or Lefty or Gary or ......or MJ or Greene or Vasquez or Paul or......?

There are so many new coaches and players throughout the conference that it's almost like playing an anonymous group of teams from out West!

Give the new coaches and players time to become known and the old passion and energy will reemerge.

TruBlu
01-21-2012, 06:07 AM
I, too, have noticed a decrease in interest in basketball overall this year, and even somewhat in Duke Basketball. Here are some of what I think is going on (not in any particular order):

1) The world is a mess (economy, terrorist threats, politics, etc.). There are more important things to think about.
2) There are many more televised games, and games that can be seen on-line. Have we reached a saturation point?
3) We as Duke fans are spoiled!
4) Although I like all of our current players, there hasn't been an emergence (yet) of a Kyle/Nolan/JJ/Shane/Grant/Christian/Bobby type of player on this years team.
5) I'm getting older.

Having said that, it is now 6:00 AM, I have a full tank of gas, a cup of coffee, half a pack of cigarettes, and a 5 hour energy. It's time to hit the road from Atlanta to Cameron!

DevilWearsPrada
01-21-2012, 06:55 AM
I, too, have noticed a decrease in interest in basketball overall this year, and even somewhat in Duke Basketball. Here are some of what I think is going on (not in any particular order):

1) The world is a mess (economy, terrorist threats, politics, etc.). There are more important things to think about.
2) There are many more televised games, and games that can be seen on-line. Have we reached a saturation point?
3) We as Duke fans are spoiled!
4) Although I like all of our current players, there hasn't been an emergence (yet) of a Kyle/Nolan/JJ/Shane/Grant/Christian/Bobby type of player on this years team.
5) I'm getting older.

Having said that, it is now 6:00 AM, I have a full tank of gas, a cup of coffee, half a pack of cigarettes, and a 5 hour energy. It's time to hit the road from Atlanta to Cameron!

Love it!!!

WE ARE DUKE!!! WE ARE DUKE! (like the Duke Football slogan and commercial). And We'll Never Go Away!

Be safe in your travels! Those 5 hour energy shots work! I drank 2, as I was driving from NC to Indy for the Final 4. I love our team! We have the best Coach in the world, and should appreciate each and every precious season we still have with "K" as the leader!

WE ARE DUKE!

BluDvlsN1
01-21-2012, 08:01 AM
We all have our own stories about out DUKE experience's!

Individually separate, but traveling the same path, watching the same great teams with the same great talents!

Looking back, we open up as always with high expectations! It's November and before our Thanksgiving traditions, we celebrate a really great ride in Mauii!! And a win, a really good win!!!

The expectations elevate, but wait.. How did it happen, who was "THE" guy, Tyler hits some out of the world 3's, Ryan is a man among men, tournament MVP, Austin has the ball in his hands, Quinn does some important stuff in few minutes, Dre, Seth, look pretty great, the bigs MP1,MP2 give us a post presence that has been rare for us in recent years!

BUT... It's early in the season, does it have "staying power"?, can we get better, maybe much better, who do we go to... Herein lies the conundrum..for you, for me, maybe for the coaches, certainly for the competition..

We've discussed it to death, who starts, who plays major minutes, who's the match up problem, how do we feed the post, how do we free up the shooters, can we defend, who locks down a lanky athletic 4' what if we run into a tall 3 that can shoot over us..?

Through it all, line up changes, rotaion changes we're 16-2 and growing!

Personally, I'm as excited as ever, I don't know who is gonna light it up, every game has it's differences,
Every game some things more than others..more post/less post, more penetration/less penetration, more threes (more often)but who hits em, or less three's..if your an ACC coach how would you like to prepare a game plan for this team!

No simple task...that is what we have to embrace about this team, it's youth, it's plethora of options, it's developing potential! It's developing before our eyes, every game!
Austin as a sub ..for 20' Dre..infuego, Seth,inside/outside...MP1,MP2 solid in the post,Ryan as a sub lit it up created a lot of energy...what will happen today...that's the excitement of this team, not knowing, but seeing it unfold.. And it's a variable story each game!

In a fashion, It's unfamiliar, but becoming familiar..who will be MOMatch...predictable? Not really!

Let's just get on board the "K" train...and go for the ride, 16-2, young team...

Not a bad experiment..

Tip it up...it's DUKE basketball...let's have some fun..

jamesfrommaiden
01-21-2012, 01:05 PM

I do not understand where you are coming from at all. How can you not be excited? Just look at the record for this team. Consider what we lost and where we are. I think this really interesting and fun as well. Ask Coach K why don't you. Part of the excitement is none of us really knows yet just how good this team is going to be. Did you read too many UNC press clippings and decide to crown them champs like everyone else in the media? If you been a fan since the mid 80's how did you manage to cope after Duke lost Dawkins, Alarie, Bilas, and Henderson in the same year? It is as much a part of college basketball as anything else that players come and go every year. That is part of what makes it all so great. And FYI the ACC as a whole is pretty weak for a number years now. I even think your wrong on that point because i believe the conference as a whole is stronger now than it has been in one or two years. So when do you plan on regaining your interest in Duke basketball? When we start five seniors or Duke is hands down the best team in the country? I just do not get it.

loldevilz
01-21-2012, 01:17 PM
I think the excitement of this team is discovering if they can figure out how to play defense. Our team can definitely score the ball and if they ever learn to really lock down on defense they could make the final four.

NSDukeFan
01-21-2012, 10:15 PM
I think the excitement of this team is discovering if they can figure out how to play defense. Our team can definitely score the ball and if they ever learn to really lock down on defense they could make the final four.

I thought the team discovered it in the first half today, but couldn't maintain it in the second. That was a tough performance by a lot of Duke players today that got me more excited about the team, even though I am very disappointed in the loss. I think they have the talent to be a much better defensive team, but will the guys become a good enough fist before the end of the year is the biggest question in my mind. I am looking forward to watching to find out.

throatybeard
01-22-2012, 02:42 AM
Tight. Maybe I can get some side work as an actor in one of those "low T" pharmaceutical commercials.

Doc, I just don't have the endurance as a sports fan I did when I was 18. For Gosh sakes, Roy Williams wussed out like an unfair stereotype of of French soldier* last week, and I felt nothing! Can you help me?

I can see it now.

Mom: What's wrong, son?

Amile Jefferson: Dude, mom, I was totally into Duke, but then I read their board, and some middle-aged sack of atrophy and apathy with a weird beard and too many life issues expressed his ambivalence about college sports. I'm going to Carolina now, and I'm gonna rub it in on skype.

* - Look it up, folks, they're one of the most warlike people in history

Matches
01-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Yesterday's game was a good cure for apathy. Best college game I've seen this year.

dukepsy1963
01-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Yesterday's game was a good cure for apathy. Best college game I've seen this year.

It (yesterday's loss) hurt like the hell; but it was ACC basketball at its best. As for a lack of interest on my part, forget it! I'm a more rabid fan than I have ever been.

Always Duke!

Lid
01-22-2012, 01:48 PM
My interest hasn't waned since they day I fell in love with Jim Spanarkel, even though I do have a career, a family, and an actual life. Frankly, though, I'm hoping for an increase in apathy among among season ticket holders. Then maybe demand will go down, they'll decrease the necessary Iron Dukes contribution, and I can swoop in for tickets.

RoyalBlue08
01-22-2012, 04:02 PM
On days we lose, I wish I could develop a little less interest in the team, but alas I live and die every second of every game every year. I know it is taking years off my life!

Cell-R
01-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Yesterday was the first time I've seen Duke lose in person. I've been very interested in this team all year, and have cheered myself hoarse pretty much every game. However, seeing Duke lose in Cameron has made me even more "interested" in this year's team. Next Saturday, and every home game afterwards, I will be giving each game everything I have. Hopefully the other Crazies will follow suit. Having a win streak like that kind of promotes the idea that we are invincible. Who needs to cheer a little harder when we never lose in Cameron anyways? I think it was a reality check that will have the home fans working extra hard to get a W in Cameron from now on.

marinbobbyduhon
01-23-2012, 01:14 AM
If yesterday's game didn't get you pumped up for the rest of the season, may I suggest reading "The Last Great Game - Kentucky vs Duke." I stayed up late into the wee morning last night and finished the book in one sitting. I am excited for the rest of the season and all of its possibilities. It was a terrific read and brought back so many wonderful memories.

Go Duke!

Greg_Newton
01-23-2012, 02:13 AM
Yesterday was the first time I've seen Duke lose in person.

Ha, I'd never thought about that; about 75% of the undergraduates had never seen Duke lose in person before Saturday. I can certainly see how that could sap a little of the urgency factor out of the experience.

killerleft
01-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Tight. Maybe I can get some side work as an actor in one of those "low T" pharmaceutical commercials.

Doc, I just don't have the endurance as a sports fan I did when I was 18. For Gosh sakes, Roy Williams wussed out like an unfair stereotype of of French soldier* last week, and I felt nothing! Can you help me?

I can see it now.

Mom: What's wrong, son?

Amile Jefferson: Dude, mom, I was totally into Duke, but then I read their board, and some middle-aged sack of atrophy and apathy with a weird beard and too many life issues expressed his ambivalence about college sports. I'm going to Carolina now, and I'm gonna rub it in on skype.

* - Look it up, folks, they're one of the most warlike people in history

Well, them and the Skypes. We probably shouldn't forget that our Blue Devils are named for that elite, daring Alpine fighting force known as the French Blue Devils*

*not to be confused with the Judean People's Front Crack Suicide Squad.

On topic: Teams like this one are way more interesting to me than those with the highest expectations, also. A loss like Saturday's was a great game, and the guys hopefully learned some things that will be valuable moving forward.

Reilly
01-23-2012, 12:01 PM
K's first year was 80-81. The Duke Class of 1984 was the first with 4 full years of K.

Duke graduation year .... how many Duke men's hoops losses in your 4 years

1984 ... 57
1985 ... 52
1986 ... 38
1987 ... 30
1988 ... 27
1989 ... 27
1990 ... 33
1991 ... 31
1992 ... 26
1993 ... 26
1994 ... 23
1995 ... 34
1996 ... 45
1997 ... 46
1998 ... 44
1999 ... 28
2000 ... 20
2001 ... 15
2002 ... 15
2003 ... 20
2004 ... 21
2005 ... 23
2006 ... 23
2007 ... 27
2008 ... 27
2009 ... 28
2010 ... 29
2011 ... 23
2012 ... 20 (so far)

throatybeard
01-24-2012, 12:23 AM
K's first year was 80-81. The Duke Class of 1984 was the first with 4 full years of K.

1984 ... 57
1985 ... 52
1986 ... 38
1987 ... 30
1988 ... 27
1989 ... 27
1990 ... 33
1991 ... 31
1992 ... 26
1993 ... 26
1994 ... 23
1995 ... 34
1996 ... 45
1997 ... 46
1998 ... 44
1999 ... 28
2000 ... 20
2001 ... 15
2002 ... 15
2003 ... 20
2004 ... 21
2005 ... 23
2006 ... 23
2007 ... 27
2008 ... 27
2009 ... 28
2010 ... 29
2011 ... 23
2012 ... 20 (so far)

Even in the "disaster year" (1994-95) I think we went like 8-6 at home. That was my freshman year. I don't consider myself to have suffered back then, even though FSU just beat us by a bucket just now.

The funny thing about 1995 is that team probably had more talent on it than 1996. So many close losses.

jv001
01-24-2012, 07:48 AM
I thought the team discovered it in the first half today, but couldn't maintain it in the second. That was a tough performance by a lot of Duke players today that got me more excited about the team, even though I am very disappointed in the loss. I think they have the talent to be a much better defensive team, but will the guys become a good enough fist before the end of the year is the biggest question in my mind. I am looking forward to watching to find out.

I thought the same thing. We played good defense in the first half. What happened in the 2nd half? I believe one reason was that James began to be aggressive in the 2nd half. He was passive in the first half and even the tv announcers mentioned it. By my eye test I thought that Mason and Miles played poor defense in the 2nd half. I could be wrong there, but it looked like they let the Noles' bigs beat them to the spot way too many times. I don't think we'll see that again. Well I hope not anyway. I too believe we have the talent to be good defensively, but we need to show it sooner rather than later. GoDuke!

sagegrouse
01-24-2012, 10:29 AM

You left out the most important years:

1964 19
1965 18
1966 17

sage

Kedsy
01-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Even in the "disaster year" (1994-95) I think we went like 8-6 at home.

Since Duke joined the Southern Conference in 1928-29, we've won more home games than we've lost every year except 1943-44 (when we went 7-8).

In 1984-85, we lost three home games. Since then, the only years we've lost more than two home games were 2006-07 (4 home losses), 1995-96 (4 home losses), and 1994-95 (6 home losses).

In other words, Duke students don't see their team lose at home very often.

Reilly
01-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Since Duke joined the Southern Conference in 1928-29, we've won more home games than we've lost every year except 1943-44 (when we went 7-8)......

I believe that was the year that Duke’s massage therapist said that what was happening with the ravaging of Europe was a catastrophe, and that what Duke was having was a disappointment. And Gerry Gerard told her that depends on which chair she was sitting in, because it felt like a catastrophe to him because it was his life.