PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Georgia Tech Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Bob Green
01-06-2012, 12:34 PM
We are less than 24 hours from tip-off so it is time to turn our attention to tomorrow's game in Atlanta against the Yellow Jackets.

Reilly
01-06-2012, 12:36 PM
It'd be nice if the Crazies, for the entire hour before tip-off, did nothing but chant "Dee-fense" [clap, clap].

COYS
01-06-2012, 12:44 PM
We are less than 24 hours from tip-off so it is time to turn our attention to tomorrow's game in Atlanta against the Yellow Jackets.

Time to see if the team can play on the road like it does at home. I'm not one of those people who thinks Duke should play 5 true OOC road games every year, but there has certainly been a difference between neutral court/home court Duke and hostile court Duke. The Jackets, however, are not particularly good and while I don't expect smooth sailing, I think this will give the team a chance to get a win in front of a hostile crowd and address some of the issues that hurt us against Temple.

jv001
01-06-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm sure GT has seen the Temple game and how they defended our perimeter guys. I look for some rough play from the Yellow Jackets. But I think Coach K will have our guys play just as physical. I look for Miles and Mason to keep up their good play and to see our defense be much improved. GoDuke!

Kedsy
01-06-2012, 12:49 PM
It'd be nice if the Crazies, for the entire hour before tip-off, did nothing but chant "Dee-fense" [clap, clap].

But since the game's in Atlanta, I doubt the team would hear them. ;)

DukieInBrasil
01-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Time to see if the team can play on the road like it does at home. I'm not one of those people who thinks Duke should play 5 true OOC road games every year, but there has certainly been a difference between neutral court/home court Duke and hostile court Duke. The Jackets, however, are not particularly good and while I don't expect smooth sailing, I think this will give the team a chance to get a win in front of a hostile crowd and address some of the issues that hurt us against Temple.
While this is technically a home game for the Jackets, they won't be playing in their on-campus building due to construction. As such, i don't think that there will be a terribly daunting crowd. In fact, my cousin and his wife are both alums and live in ATL and they'll probably be in attendance, so that ought to just about equal out the GA Tech student section.

NSDukeFan
01-06-2012, 01:21 PM

I believe someone had posted in another thread that there has been a big difference for all of the top teams in terms of their results at home vs. on the road. Duke will now have 8 of the their last 17 regular season games on the road which is always a harder place to win. It would be nice (and crucial, as OlyFan mentioned in the Temple thread) that Duke gets a road win here to start ACC play.

I am looking forward to the team showing that the Temple loss was an aberration and the improvements shown in the last few games will continue.

elvis14
01-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Thanks for starting this thread, Bob. I was looking for it earlier today. I'm looking forward to seeing how our guys bounce back from the Temple game. Anyone have a scouting report for Ga. Tech? I can see that they are 7-7 so far and come in having lost their last 3 games to Mercer, Fordham and Alabama.

Date
Opponent
Result

11/11/11
Florida A&M
W 92-59

11/14/11
Delaware State
W 70-52

11/17/11
St. Joseph's
L 66-53

11/18/11
VCU
W 73-60

11/20/11
LSU
L 59-50

11/23/11
Siena
W 72-44

11/29/11
Northwestern
L 76-60

12/03/11
Tulane
L 57-52

12/07/11
Georgia
W 68-56

12/10/11
Savannah State
W 65-45

12/19/11
Alabama A&M
W 65-54

12/22/11
Mercer
L 65-59

12/29/11
Fordham
L 72-66

01/03/12
Alabama
L 73-48

01/07/12
Duke
L ??-??

Kedsy
01-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Thanks for starting this thread, Bob. I was looking for it earlier today. I'm looking forward to seeing how our guys bounce back from the Temple game. Anyone have a scouting report for Ga. Tech? I can see that they are 7-7 so far and come in having lost their last 3 games to Mercer, Fordham and Alabama.

Date
Opponent
Result

01/07/12
Duke
L ??-??

A little presumptuous, no?

cbnaylor
01-06-2012, 04:04 PM
I for one would like to see Duke go away from the spread out offense and bring both PF and Center down low.

Ichabod Drain
01-06-2012, 04:11 PM

Haha had to throw that out for my alma mater. GO MERCER!!!!

OldPhiKap
01-06-2012, 05:35 PM
While this is technically a home game for the Jackets, they won't be playing in their on-campus building due to construction. As such, i don't think that there will be a terribly daunting crowd. In fact, my cousin and his wife are both alums and live in ATL and they'll probably be in attendance, so that ought to just about equal out the GA Tech student section.

Duke will be very well-represented. There are a lot of alum in ATL, and GT is not a big draw for any sport. Even the neutrals here are Dawg fans, therefore hate Tech.

mattman91
01-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Is this game gonna be streaming live on espn3 or watch or whatever its called now? I currently don't have ESPNU.

Bob Green
01-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Is this game gonna be streaming live on espn3 or watch or whatever its called now? I currently don't have ESPNU.

According to the currently posted schedule, the game will not be streamed on ESPN3. It will only be available on ESPNU.

tbyers11
01-06-2012, 08:21 PM

On the WatchESPN app on my iPad it currently lists the Duke-GT game being shown at noon tomorrow.

Duvall
01-06-2012, 08:22 PM
On the WatchESPN app on my iPad it currently lists the Duke-GT game being shown at noon tomorrow.

WatchESPN and ESPN3 are two different things. WatchESPN makes all ESPN content available, not just the content shown on ESPN3.

Bob Green
01-06-2012, 08:33 PM
WatchESPN and ESPN3 are two different things. WatchESPN makes all ESPN content available, not just the content shown on ESPN3.

Thanks!!! I did not know that.

tbyers11
01-06-2012, 08:37 PM

I'm aware of that. I don't know exactly what mattman91's online situation is and didn't want him to think that the game was totally unavailable online. Thanks for the clarification though.

Bluedog
01-06-2012, 09:10 PM
There are only three providers in the entire nation that have WatchESPN available: Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks, and Verizon FiOS TV. On the other hand, there are around 100 cable providers that subscribe to ESPN3. Try FirstRowSports online streaming if you don't get it.

Somewhat surprisingly, Duke is "only" favored by 11.5 points. That sounds like a decent spread, but GaTech just lost by 25 to 'Bama and has some pretty bad losses on the season (as you can see above). I hope we come out with a sense of urgency and don't let up the entire game.

MChambers
01-06-2012, 09:23 PM
There are only three providers in the entire nation that have WatchESPN available: Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks, and Verizon FiOS TV. On the other hand, there are around 100 cable providers that subscribe to ESPN3. Try FirstRowSports online streaming if you don't get it.

Somewhat surprisingly, Duke is "only" favored by 11.5 points. That sounds like a decent spread, but GaTech just lost by 25 to 'Bama and has some pretty bad losses on the season (as you can see above). I hope we come out with a sense of urgency and don't let up the entire game.
If you do the math based on Sagarin, and treat this as a road game, 11.5 is pretty close. Don't expect a completely lopsided game.

elvis14
01-06-2012, 10:10 PM
A little presumptuous, no?

After the Temple game I just couldn't help myself. Let's call it exuberance and wishful thinking :D

Newton_14
01-06-2012, 11:04 PM
I am glad the guys hit the court again tomorrow and quickly get a chance to redeem themselves after the showing at Temple. Based on the 3 practices in one day report, I really expect our guys to come out very physical tomorrow on defense, foul trouble be damned. Expect a sense of urgency on the defensive end, and extra focus on both protecting the ball on offense and sharing the ball on offense. Valuing every possession as though the game hinges on it.

Duke should be able to move the ball until a good shot presents itself, and take good shots. Getting the ball down lows early and often should be a focal point, letting our 3 gu ys go to work against Tech's one post player. Huge advantage there. Force Tech to collapse and help which will open up the perimeter for the shots the guards want to take.

But X's and O's aside, the biggest thing to look for is relentless effort in every phase of the game. If the guys don't show that after the last 2 days, then God be with them is all I know to say.:)

dcar1985
01-06-2012, 11:41 PM

Actually they are the same thing...type in either address and they take u to the same spot....so for anyone who doesn't receive ESPNU the game is available on ESPN3/Watch ESPN....

Bluedog
01-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Actually they are the same thing...type in either address and they take u to the same spot....so for anyone who doesn't receive ESPNU the game is available on ESPN3/Watch ESPN....

They take you to the same spot, but they are not the same thing. Different providers subscribe to the two different services. As I stated above, there are only three providers in the nation that subscribe to WatchESPN, while there are around a hundred that subscribe to ESPN3. For example, if you have Comcast internet you have access to ESPN3 (as it's a subscriber), but will not have access to WatchESPN and thus cannot watch the Duke game tomorrow through the online streaming service. ESPNU is available on WatchESPN but NOT ESPN3. While the site will still show the WatchESPN options no matter what your provider is, once you actually make the selection it will ask for your ISP and it better be one of the three I mentioned above or it won't work.

Edouble
01-07-2012, 03:29 AM
Duke will be very well-represented. There are a lot of alum in ATL, and GT is not a big draw for any sport. Even the neutrals here are Dawg fans, therefore hate Tech.

Not my experience as a ATLien of 30 years. It's a Tech town.

slower
01-07-2012, 07:54 AM
After the Temple game I just couldn't help myself. Let's call it exuberance and wishful thinking :D

After the Temple game, one would think your exuberance would be tempered a bit.

gotoguy
01-07-2012, 09:54 AM
This will be Tech's biggest home game of the year since they only play the 'Holes in CH. The game is in Phillips Arena which is a nice bonus for the Devils since the ACC tourney is also being played there this year instead of the Georgia Dome, so Duke will have seen the arena pre ACC tourney and the 'Holes will not have. A small benefit IMHO. Downside is that tickets for the tourney will be scarcer(more scarce)

Should be a nice turnout of local Duke fans since seats were still available earlier this week, but the Tech student body and fans will be out in force. Recall that our last trip to Tech in 2010 with our National Championship team ended in a loss. This current team is not so accomplished, but of course the Tech squad is certainly also less talented.

I'll be there. Can't wait! Need this road win.

dukebluesincebirth
01-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Does anyone know if the game will be broadcasted on any local ACC affiliates? I don't get ESPNU and will have to go out to watch the game if it's not on anywhere else...

Indoor66
01-07-2012, 11:20 AM
A bump. Game time in about 40 minutes. Any additional thoughts?

Go Duke, Beat Tech!

NSDukeFan
01-07-2012, 12:10 PM
A bump. Game time in about 40 minutes. Any additional thoughts?

Go Duke, Beat Tech!

What you said. Nice dunks Miles.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Nice start, but they are calling the game very closely and our big guys are all going to foul out in the first half...

Bob Green
01-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Nice start, but they are calling the game very closely and our big guys are all going to foul out in the first half...

Miles, Mason and Ryan have two fouls with 8 minutes left in the 1st half.

Bigdukeboi22
01-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Duke is struggling at the end of the half..Duke needs to pick it back and regain the big leads we held throughout the half

dyedwab
01-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Duke is struggling at the end of the half..Duke needs to pick it back and regain the big leads we held throughout the half

We are being beaten to loose balls, making silly decisions, letting them have easy shot...the difference between this game and Temple is that Tech doesn't really have to talent to challenge us

Bigdukeboi22
01-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Very true and Rivers hasn't even scored yet

WiJoe
01-07-2012, 12:49 PM
this team has a bad case of nba-itis. doesn't play with enough urgency often enough or long enough.

roywhite
01-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Come on, Seth!!

Hit a shot!

ChrisP
Totally different game between the first 10-12 minutes and the last part of the first half. I would love to know what GT's shooting % has been since they were down 18. I'm guessing somewhere around 60%. I think we're actually playing ok - we've missed a TON of open 3's that are good shots which just haven't gone down. Curry cannot hit the backside of a barn right now. I am pretty sure we had 32 points with like 7-8 mins to go in the half and then we managed to only score 8 the rest of the way.

I'm not too worried about this game, but of course we'll have to play better in the 2nd. I think the first 5 mins of the second half will be key and very telling.

dyedwab
this team has a bad case of nba-itis. doesn't play with enough urgency often enough or long enough.

Tech just isn't that good.

I guess we are who we are....and that's a very frustrating team to watch

Chris Randolph
01-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Embarassing. We get out-toughed/willed/hustled 3 days ago and come out today and it looks the same. The only difference is that GT is much worse than Temple. I mean geez, coming into this game they lost their last 3 games to Alabama by 25, and to Fordham and Mercer!

This Duke team is "too cool" to be tough and do whatever it takes to win. Frustrating to watch

Bob Green
01-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Miles with three fouls at the half. Georgia Tech finishes the 1st half on a 21-8 run to cut an 18 point lead to five points. The 2nd half is going to be interesting. We need to shoot a lot better than 26.7% (4-15) on 3-pointers and figure out how to get Austin Rivers involved in the offense.

WiJoe
01-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Tech just isn't that good.

I guess we are who we are....and that's a very frustrating team to watch

"a very frustrating team to watch"

bingo

BluDvlsN1
01-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Very true and Rivers hasn't even scored yet

This is very true, Austin has done much better on the defensive end, but what I noticed in the first half he is standing around on offense, he is not moving without the ball to put himself in position to create offense!
I'm convinced he'll get it, but right now he is just to easy to defend!!

Saratoga2
01-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Things were going well, but then the shooting disappeared. Lots of three pointers and little accuracy. On game tracker I can't tell why all the threes. Is it that we are facing a zone? If so, something seems to be bothering our shooters.

Quinn is getting elevated in this game. Small wonder based on the TO's by Austin and also to some degree Seth. Tyler is not getting much play.

-bdbd
01-07-2012, 01:00 PM
It's pretty simple - gotta hit those open shots. In the last few minutes GT did and we didn't.

I expect us to come out fired up in the second half.

Come'on Duke -- put em away!!!!

:eek:

Duvall
01-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Things were going well, but then the shooting disappeared. Lots of three pointers and little accuracy. On game tracker I can't tell why all the threes.

Georgia Tech isn't guarding them, that's why.

Bigdukeboi22
01-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Embarassing. We get out-toughed/willed/hustled 3 days ago and come out today and it looks the same. The only difference is that GT is much worse than Temple. I mean geez, coming into this game they lost their last 3 games to Alabama by 25, and to Fordham and Mercer!

This Duke team is "too cool" to be tough and do whatever it takes to win. Frustrating to watch

Very true..This is really awful how bad we are playing defensively. I screamed at the end of the half at my television set I was so mad at how Duke was playing. Georgia Tech is one of the worst Top 6 conference teams in the whole nation and there playing with us. I know whenever any team plays Duke they are extra motivated to try and beat us, but still GT has nowhere near the talent we have and this should not be much of a game for Duke. But GT is out hustling us and beating us to every ball. And Rivers has 0 points, pretty sad. We will see what Coach K has preached to them into the locker room and see what happens in the second half.

Sgt. Dingleberry
01-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Give Miles the ball. The first five minutes of the game or so, Miles was controlling things, GT couldn't stop him...

I would love to see K have the offense go through Miles and see what happens in the second half.

77devil
01-07-2012, 01:08 PM
GT is a truly awful offensive team, ranked 195 in offensive efficiency on Kenpom. It's not a good indicator that after the beat down at Temple that our D has given up 35 in the first half, and GT is down only 5 after an 18 point deficit.

sporthenry
01-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Very true..This is really awful how bad we are playing defensively. I screamed at the end of the half at my television set I was so mad at how Duke was playing. Georgia Tech is one of the worst Top 6 conference teams in the whole nation and there playing with us. I know whenever any team plays Duke they are extra motivated to try and beat us, but still GT has nowhere near the talent we have and this should not be much of a game for Duke. But GT is out hustling us and beating us to every ball. And Rivers has 0 points, pretty sad. We will see what Coach K has preached to them into the locker room and see what happens in the second half.

Granted GT isn't great, I wouldn't underestimate the importance of them just playing Duke. Duke was in control but once they let GT get the fans into the game, it was going to be trouble. People bring up the loss to Alabama where they played in front of 5,000 fans in an NBA arena or they played at the Gwinnett Center in front of 3700 fans. After watching UCLA, I don't think anyone can discount the loss of home court and Duke has brought a packed house with it and reasons for their fans to show up.

sporthenry
01-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Things were going well, but then the shooting disappeared. Lots of three pointers and little accuracy. On game tracker I can't tell why all the threes. Is it that we are facing a zone? If so, something seems to be bothering our shooters.

Quinn is getting elevated in this game. Small wonder based on the TO's by Austin and also to some degree Seth. Tyler is not getting much play.

The shots are open but the game is in an NBA arena which over the years has seemed to bother us whether its the depth perception with the seats being further back or trying to shoot closer to the NBA line.

dyedwab
01-07-2012, 01:12 PM
The shots are open but the game is in an NBA arena which over the years has seemed to bother us whether its the depth perception with the seats being further back or trying to shoot closer to the NBA line.

That is seriously not the only problem today. Duke just isn't hustling after loose balls the way Tech is.

sporthenry
01-07-2012, 01:17 PM
That is seriously not the only problem today. Duke just isn't hustling after loose balls the way Tech is.

I'm not insinuating that is the only problem or the major problem, just responding to someone asking why our shots weren't falling or if they were playing zone. The focus is lacking at times, perhaps b/c we aren't in Cameron and the crowd is despondent at times but this is a frustrating team to watch and it will be interesting to see what K does with this team.

CajunDevil
01-07-2012, 01:17 PM
We will be fine... everyone just relax. I love seeing the frustration and how our guys react to it. This is about growth... sit back and watch the maturation before your eyes. They will find a way, and we will be better for it. By the way, we have found our point guard!

FerryFor50
01-07-2012, 01:18 PM
I really, really hate hand check foul calls.

A bump on the perimeter that causes a turnover, not a foul.

A touch of a defender with the ball that causes nothing, a foul. Hate it.

FerryFor50
01-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Mason looks frustrated that they're not finding him in the post...

Sgt. Dingleberry
01-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Mason looks frustrated that they're not finding him in the post...

I know I am frustrated that they aren't finding either Plumlee in the post. GT can not stop them. Feed the Plumlees.

FerryFor50
01-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Duke's offense should be one of two things:

- dribble drive/kick
- post feed/kick

They run way to much iso and don't pass out enough.

ChrisP
01-07-2012, 01:28 PM
How many times are our guards going to end up on the floor after drives with NO foul called?

wgl1228
01-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Mason and Austin aren't happy. You could see it when they both had hold of the ball just then. Our chemistry is way off right now.

CajunDevil
01-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Mason and Austin aren't happy. You could see it when they both had hold of the ball just then. Our chemistry is way off right now.

I agree. After Austin was fouled Mason and Austin barked at each other... then when they had the rebound, Mason claimed it, then Austin called for ball and didn't get it and appeared less than happy...

FerryFor50
01-07-2012, 01:32 PM

Mason didn't help Austin up on a previous play either... only Kelly was pulling him up. Like I said, Mason is pissed that they keep missing him in the post. One time they missed him, he just put his hands on his hips after the ball rotated to the other side. You have to keep your bigs involved or they stop playing hard, running the floor, rebounding and contesting shots.

ChrisP
01-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Some of these fouls that are/are not being called are just ridiculous. Would like to see more consistency from the refs.

FerryFor50
01-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Why this game is close:

shot attempts by Duke guards: 35
shot attempts by Duke bigs: 11

Why wouldn't you let the players who shoot the best % shoot more often?

ChrisP
01-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Ok, our D hasn't been great, but I think it's our O that's letting us down for the most part in this game. We have thrown up some SERIOUS bricks in this one, folks.

Jderf
01-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Would like to see more consistency from the refs.

Would like to see more consistency from a lot of people.

duke09hms
01-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Why this game is close:

shot attempts by Duke guards: 35
shot attempts by Duke bigs: 11

Why wouldn't you let the players who shoot the best % shoot more often?

That's Duke basketball, always a guard-dominated offense.

rotogod00
01-07-2012, 01:43 PM

Don't let Tony Parker see this

ChrisP
01-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Would like to see more consistency from a lot of people.

Well...yeah. Can't argue with that!

Devilsfan
01-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Good thing we're playing Ga. Tech today. Austin and Mason keeping it close by not finishing at point blank range. Bet K will be hoarse today.

-bdbd
01-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Just need for some of these very-makeable shots to start falling...
We've missed a ton of shots we would usually be making... UGH!

Need a little run. Austin still at zero for the game....

:mad:

FerryFor50
01-07-2012, 01:45 PM

That was fine when Duke had Jason Williams, JJ Redick, etc.

This Duke team has several talented bigs that out-size most opponents, where other Duke teams were under-sized. They need to adjust. I'm not saying bigs should shoot more than the guards, but it shouldn't be a 3:1 difference. 2:1 would be more like it.

dyedwab
Ok, our D hasn't been great, but I think it's our O that's letting us down for the most part in this game. We have thrown up some SERIOUS bricks in this one, folks.

Actually, its our hustle and aggressiveness that is killing us. We are being beaten to loose balls and rebounds, and we are putting up weak shots near the goal.

rotogod00
Just need for some of these very-makeable shots to start falling...
We've missed a ton of shots we would usually be making... UGH!

Need a little run. Austin still at zero for the game....

:mad:

0 what? he's got 6

-bdbd
01-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Duke 6-22 from 3 for the game.

Jderf
01-07-2012, 01:49 PM
0 what? he's got 6

Zero blocks?

rotogod00
01-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Duke 6-22 from 3 for the game.

and 15-25 from 2

ChrisP
This would qualify as a BAD loss if we somehow manage to continue screwing it up. Gotta give credit to GT though - they're playing hard and smart and not backing down. But let's face it, they have zero to lose here - it's yet another case of a team pulling one out of their patootie simply because it's Duke that they're playing. GT is making some ri-DONK-ulous shots in this one.

duke09hms
At least UNC will be over-confident against us.

rotogod00
01-07-2012, 01:51 PM
This would qualify as a BAD loss if we somehow manage to continue screwing it up. Gotta give credit to GT though - it's yet another case of a team pulling one out of their patootie simply because it's Duke that they're playing. GT is making some ri-DONK-ulous shots in this one.

this would be worse than a BAD loss

FerryFor50
This would qualify as a BAD loss if we somehow manage to continue screwing it up. Gotta give credit to GT though - it's yet another case of a team pulling one out of their patootie simply because it's Duke that they're playing. GT is making some ri-DONK-ulous shots in this one.

Tech's not making hard shots. They're just making shots. Very few have been contested...

-bdbd
0 what? he's got 6

Sorry - ESPN box was not updated. Austin still having a bad night.

AND right on queue he makes a drive and gets fouled, finally!

Duke not playing good, aggressive D vs a weak offensive team. Grrr.

FerryFor50
01-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Another alarming stat: GT is out-rebounding Duke by 8.

GT has just 2 guys over 6'9" and one doesn't play all that much.

rotogod00
01-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Another alarming stat: GT is out-rebounding Duke by 8.

GT has just 2 guys over 6'9" and one doesn't play all that much.

actually 12. 32-20

77devil
We will be fine... everyone just relax.

May I quote you. Oh wait, I just did.

IBleedBlue
This team is way behind in terms of playing defense that we all came to know of from previous Duke teams.
In the true road games this year, teams are shooting ridiculous percentages against us.

rotogod00
01-07-2012, 01:55 PM
This team is way behind in terms of playing defense that we all came to know of from previous Duke teams.
In the true road games this year, teams are shooting ridiculous percentages against us.

yeah, 49% isn't a good % to give up

ChrisP
01-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Austin (along with most everyone) has GOT to work on their FT shooting. But a guy like Austin who drives a lot is going to get fouled a lot and he needs to make the other team pay by making his 'throws.

I am extremely disheartened at the effort and execution of Duke in the 2nd half.

FerryFor50
01-07-2012, 01:56 PM
actually 12. 32-20

Even better. :rolleyes:

Again, I point to the number of shots the bigs get. I bet it gets boring watching the guards jack up bad shots early in the shot clock and constantly miss post ups.

sporthenry
01-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Tech's not making hard shots. They're just making shots. Very few have been contested...

I disagree at least in the beginning. Rice and Udofia both hit some contested shots and perhaps that got their confidence up but our defense hasn't been nearly as terrible as it has sometimes this year.

dyedwab
01-07-2012, 01:57 PM
although that's been horrible...

we have been outrebounded by a smaller team, and beaten to loose balls by a less talented team.

That's not about system, or talent. It speaks to why this team is so frustrating to watch.

FerryFor50
01-07-2012, 01:58 PM
I disagree at least in the beginning. Rice and Udofia both hit some contested shots and perhaps that got their confidence up but our defense hasn't been nearly as terrible as it sometimes has this year.

I've seen a lot of open shots. Some were off offensive rebound kick outs, some off of loose balls that we didn't get. Some were off one dribble moves. It's not like the Arizona NCAA game...

ChrisP
01-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Let's hope that Rice Jr starts shooting is % from the FT line right about...now!

duke09hms
Those head coaches that roll tapes of "Duke bigs only setting screens on offense" to our big men recruits are going to have a lot more footage.

snowdenscold
At least our Free Throw defense has been excellent in the past minute or so...

dyedwab
..these officials shouldn't be allowed to works CYO league games, let alone ACC games.

rotogod00
Those head coaches that roll tapes of "Duke bigs only setting screens on offense" to our big men recruits are going to have a lot more footage.

but we can show them THAT!!!!

FerryFor50
Big, lucky breaks on the FT misses and the bad open court turnover/layup.

ChrisP
01-07-2012, 02:01 PM

I respectfully disagree with you - I can think of a LOT of highly contested shots that just went in for GT. For instance, AR just played GREAT D on Rice there with about 48 seconds to go and Rice made a circus shot. Great play by Rice but also great D by Rivers.

rotogod00
01-07-2012, 02:02 PM
I respectfully disagree with you - I can think of a LOT of highly contested shots that just went in for GT. For instance, AR just played GREAT D on Rice there with about 48 seconds to go and Rice made a circus shot. Great play by Rice but also great D by Rivers.

you're right in this case. but there have been many uncontested as well

sporthenry
01-07-2012, 02:03 PM
I've seen a lot of open shots. Some were off offensive rebound kick outs, some off of loose balls that we didn't get. Some were off one dribble moves. It's not like the Arizona NCAA game...

Well I guess we can disagree but I would hardly call shots like that last one by Rice open. Rice has worked very hard and as Doris mentioned, perhaps its the few inches he has over him but I remember a ton of hands in their eyes during shots similar to Battier's defense. Sure, they aren't jumping up to contest shots so perhaps it doesn't look like defense, but I would say our interior defense, rebounding, hustle, and offensive execution were more troubling.

rotogod00
01-07-2012, 02:03 PM
you're right in this case. but there have been many uncontested as well

and in that case :-)

ChrisP
01-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Rice again? Seriously? I swear, I think he has made like 3 shots with a hand on the ball in this game! That's just crazy.

rotogod00
01-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Their FG% is higher than their FT%

rotogod00
01-07-2012, 02:06 PM
where the hell was rivers going

sporthenry
01-07-2012, 02:06 PM
and in that case :-)

And I forget who hit it, but there was the one basket in the first half where Hairston was up in the guy and he just hit it. Many of their open shots have come in transition where G. Tech has settled for open jump shots which in transition isn't the worst thing. In college, I can live with a transition jump shot or off balance 3's where the shooter catches it on the run.

snowdenscold
01-07-2012, 02:08 PM
About time GA Tech started missing.

ChrisP
01-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Thank goodness for Ryan! I also think Curry had a pretty good 2nd half, overall. I was really down on him earlier and I do wish he'd cut down on the dumb turnovers but he and Ryan saved us today.

ChrisP
01-07-2012, 02:09 PM
I think we've got this one won, but that was a DUMB foul by Tyler. Dude, keep your distance a little bit...

snowdenscold
01-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Not a bad foul there w/ 6.6 s left since they were down 6 and are now only shooting 2.

rotogod00
01-07-2012, 02:10 PM
I think we've got this one won, but that was a DUMB foul by Tyler. Dude, keep your distance a little bit...

how about a lotta bit when you're up 6 with 10 secs to play

elvis14
01-07-2012, 02:15 PM
..these officials shouldn't be allowed to works CYO league games, let alone ACC games.

I would have to say that Ga Tech fans would disagree with you!

FerryFor50
01-07-2012, 02:15 PM
And I forget who hit it, but there was the one basket in the first half where Hairston was up in the guy and he just hit it. Many of their open shots have come in transition where G. Tech has settled for open jump shots which in transition isn't the worst thing. In college, I can live with a transition jump shot or off balance 3's where the shooter catches it on the run.

My point is, they've had more open shots than contested shots.