PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 77, UVA 64

-jk
01-02-2012, 10:54 PM
I'll leave it to those who saw the game (m.espn.go.com/ncw/gamecast?gameId=320020150&wjb=) to report further, but Joanne Boyle had her homecoming of sorts.

"It was special just to be back in the building and see all the special people here that I know. Duke is just a piece of my heart."

-jk

CameronBornAndBred
01-03-2012, 08:06 AM
I'll leave it to those who saw the game (http://m.espn.go.com/ncw/gamecast?gameId=320020150&wjb=) to report further, but Joanne Boyle had her homecoming of sorts.

"It was special just to be back in the building and see all the special people here that I know. Duke is just a piece of my heart."

-jk
I didn't get to watch but it sounded like a solid effort from the women. Shay Selby, now back from suspension, scored 5 points in 8 minutes. She won't make up for the absence of Chloe Wells (now herself on an academic suspension), but I don't think it was coincidence for Coach P to end Selby's turn in the pokey when Wells' troubles popped up.
I thought that quote from Boyle was interesting; she turned down Duke when Coach G left and chose to stay at Cal. This year with the Cavaliers she has now had to face both schools, she lost both times but she is a good coach and will have UVA back as a top tier team soon enough.

jv001
01-03-2012, 09:29 AM
The Duke women took a 13 point win over Virginia last night and were led by Tricia Liston's 18 pts, 4 assists and 7 rebounds. She was joined in double figures by; Jackson-12pts, Peters-13pts, Gray-11pts & 8 assists, 1 to. The team for the 2nd straight game had 25 turnovers. Coach P used mainly 6 players with 4 of the starters logging over 30 minutes. Sheer came off the bench and scored 7 pts in 17 mins. Allison Vernerey only played 5 minutes and didn't score, had 1 rebound and 2 turnovers. Gray filled in nicely for Wells with her good floor game in 38 mins. GoDuke!

westwall
01-03-2012, 09:52 AM
I don't see Amber Henson's name in the stats. Is she injured, ill or what??

Lid
01-03-2012, 11:36 AM
I don't see Amber Henson's name in the stats. Is she injured, ill or what??
There could be something going on that I haven't heard about, but it seems to me that she's just down the bench a bit. She was there and dressed to play. This game felt tight throughout (I think UVa cut it to 66-60 and they definitely stayed aggressive defensively), so I think Coach P was simply playing the players who could attack the zone most effectively. But I have no special information, just the observations of someone who goes to the games.

I was really impressed with the efficient play in just the second game without Wells, especially against a team that put a lot of pressure on the ball. She's been such an energy player for the women, it was good to see how the rest of the team responded to UVa's defensive intensity.

In other news, I could watch Chelsea Gray pass all day. It's been great to see the team's passing develop in general this season. A lot of nice looks yesterday. A lot of errant passes and miscommunications, but a lot to enjoy, also.

jimsumner
01-03-2012, 11:45 AM
There could be something going on that I haven't heard about, but it seems to me that she's just down the bench a bit. She was there and dressed to play. This game felt tight throughout (I think UVa cut it to 66-60 and they definitely stayed aggressive defensively), so I think Coach P was simply playing the players who could attack the zone most effectively. But I have no special information, just the observations of someone who goes to the games.

I was really impressed with the efficient play in just the second game without Wells, especially against a team that put a lot of pressure on the ball. She's been such an energy player for the women, it was good to see how the rest of the team responded to UVa's defensive intensity.

In other news, I could watch Chelsea Gray pass all day. It's been great to see the team's passing develop in general this season. A lot of nice looks yesterday. A lot of errant passes and miscommunications, but a lot to enjoy, also.

Henson's knee has been acting up a bit. Just my opinion, but in retrospect, it might have been a good idea to redshirt her.

Virginia played a 2-3 zone most of the game and tried to slow the tempo. Duke had way too many turnovers trying to force the tempo but shot very well when they held onto the ball. Elizabeth Williams was on the wrong end of some iffy calls and and sat out much of the game. Scheer got most of the extra minutes. Not Vernerey.

Gray is an exceptional passer. But I would like to see her hunt her shot a bit more. She's way too strong for opposing point guards.

I'm much impressed by the overall improvement in Liston's game. She's actually playing point some, with Chelsea off the ball. And playing it well. She also had seven boards last night and she's much more effective on D than she was last year. She's beginning to have the look of a special player.

wandalee
01-03-2012, 10:20 PM
It was a great game, especially the 2nd half. Good play from Richa, too. She's a tough player.

BTW, Casey was in the house watching Haley play.

jtelander
01-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Amber to have surgery and will be out for the rest of season link (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/duke-freshman-amber-henson-out-for-season)

CameronBornAndBred
01-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Amber to have surgery and will be out for the rest of season link (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/duke-freshman-amber-henson-out-for-season)
That sucks. So P is applying for a medical redshirt...what are her chances of getting one? That's rough that Duke played her knowing she was not doing well, I hope it does not cost her a season.

CameronBornAndBred
01-05-2012, 08:15 AM
That sucks. So P is applying for a medical redshirt...what are her chances of getting one? That's rough that Duke played her knowing she was not doing well, I hope it does not cost her a season. Ahh..found the answer.

She played in eight of Duke’s first 10 games but only averaged 11 minutes. Because she has played so few games, Henson qualifies for a medical redshirt under NCAA guidelines

The Herald-Sun - Duke’s Henson faces season ending knee surg
ery (http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/16989584/article-Duke%C3%A2%E2%82%AC%E2%84%A2s-Henson-faces-season-ending-knee-surgery?#ixzz1iaauZPdO)