PDA

View Full Version : More assists than turnovers!

ikiru36
01-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Though I hated Hubert Davis for mentioning it (not that I was a huge fan of his before), if he's correct that no team has ever won a National Championship with more turnovers than assists, I wouldn't want to count on us bucking the trend. Thankfully, due in large part to Quinn (can we call him The Chef for serving up dimes?) Cook's near 5 to 1 assist turnover ratio, we now appear to have more assists than turnovers on the season.

The last 2 games (granted against inferior and modest competition) we've averaged 21 assists to 13.5 turnovers. Also, after having assists on less than half our baskets for much of the year, it's been on about 65% of our baskets the last 2 games. Again, wouldn't want to make too much of it given the relative competition and playing at home, but nice and hopeful to see, nonetheless.

Happy New Year to all!!!!! Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MarkD83
01-02-2012, 01:25 PM
After the Penn game Duke has 179 assists and 176 TOs, so this stat does not apply anymore.

snowdenscold
01-02-2012, 01:28 PM
After the Penn game Duke has 179 assists and 176 TOs, so this stat does not apply anymore.

Other than cutting it dangerously close =)

Hopefully we continue this positive trend, and don't revert back to a < 1.0 A/TO ratio once conference play begins.

Duke71
01-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Finally a thread topic that actually makes sense and points the team in a positive direction to boot. How can I not support that?

BTW, SF is my favorite American city. Spent many wonderful years out there. Silicon Valley may be the only place left on earth where capitalism thrives the way its supposed to. Let's hope that upping the assist consciousness does the same for the team. Too many sideline swamis around here concerned about Sports Center trivia to focus on what it'll take to win another championship. I think the team has the right ingredients to pull it off. They certainly have the right coach to get them to the promised land.

And MarkD83, you are a Sports Center Highlight Reel "poster child" with that comment....it ALWAYS matters!!! Richmond hasn't changed much I see.

ikiru36
01-03-2012, 01:01 PM

I actually specifically noted this in the post you were replying to. Anyways, thanks for agreeing with me in your attempt to be disagreeable. :0)

I was more trying to point out that we may have turned some corner, partly thanks to Quinn Cook's continued development, and this was worth recognizing. At the same time, it's a limited sample against lesser competition so perhaps it's worth continuing to monitor going forward? Others have (not incorrectly) pointed out that measures of offensive and defensive efficiency (along with other "advanced" stats) are more valid and reliable measures of successful play. Nevertheless, more assists and less turnovers is never a bad thing and it does tend to be indicative of a more aesthetically pleasing brand of hoops for us fans (and potential recruits, perhaps?)

Go Quinn "the Chef" Cook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the_grad_student
01-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Quinn (can we call him The Chef for serving up dimes?)

I like it! Personally, I'm trying to get "The COOK-ie monster" to catch on

MarkD83
01-03-2012, 04:25 PM
I actually specifically noted this in the post you were replying to. Anyways, thanks for agreeing with me in your attempt to be disagreeable. :0)

I was more trying to point out that we may have turned some corner, partly thanks to Quinn Cook's continued development, and this was worth recognizing. At the same time, it's a limited sample against lesser competition so perhaps it's worth continuing to monitor going forward? Others have (not incorrectly) pointed out that measures of offensive and defensive efficiency (along with other "advanced" stats) are more valid and reliable measures of successful play. Nevertheless, more assists and less turnovers is never a bad thing and it does tend to be indicative of a more aesthetically pleasing brand of hoops for us fans (and potential recruits, perhaps?)

Go Quinn "the Chef" Cook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't trying to disagree. I just wanted to add the latest data to your observation that we may have turned the corner.

I fully expect a commentator or two on ESPN to continue to quote this stat even though Duke is on the + side of the assists/turnover ratio right now.