PDA

View Full Version : father-son mention on ESPN news

dball
01-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Just happened (8:25 or so) on ESPN News while watching the Duke highlights.

"Austin Rivers...son of Glen "Doc""

"Andre Dawkins...his father Johnny sits on the Duke bench"

UNCCH game shown next

"James Michael McAdoo...his father was pretty famous too". Was waiting for a mention of Bob but maybe he really meant Ronnie.

Fact checking anyone?

slower
01-02-2012, 08:42 AM

UNCCH game shown next

"James Michael McAdoo...his father was pretty famous too". Was waiting for a mention of Bob but maybe he really meant Ronnie.

Fact checking anyone?

As a famous man once said, "Facts are stupid things."

But, yes, it's rather pitiful. Unfortunately, we are many years past the point of relying on media to provide factual observations. Even in sports, where it shouldn't be a problem.

OldPhiKap
01-02-2012, 09:18 AM
As a famous man once said, "Facts are stupid things."

But, yes, it's rather pitiful. Unfortunately, we are many years past the point of relying on media to provide factual observations. Even in sports, where it shouldn't be a problem.

"Facts are simple and facts are straight
Facts are lazy and facts are late
Facts all come with points of view
Facts won't do what you want them to.

Facts just twist the truth around . . . facts continue to change their shape."

-- Talking Heads

DisplacedBlueDevil
01-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Didn't Gbinijie's father help Duke make it to the NCAA Final in 1978? Some guy on ESPN used to call him "G Man"...;)

jimsumner
01-02-2012, 12:22 PM
I can understand confusing the McAdoo clan. After all, Robert is James Michael's uncle.

But Dawkins and Dawkins? That's just sad. And it's not like 'Dre just arrived on campus.

UNCCH game shown next

Fact checking anyone?

OldPhiKap
01-02-2012, 12:27 PM
I can understand confusing the McAdoo clan. After all, Robert is James Michael's uncle.

But Dawkins and Dawkins? That's just sad. And it's not like 'Dre just arrived on campus.

. . . Or that Johnny still sits on the Duke bench.

theAlaskanBear
01-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Didn't Gbinijie's father help Duke make it to the NCAA Final in 1978? Some guy on ESPN used to call him "G Man"...;)

Now we just need some blogger to read this and mention it in a post, someone to see that post and tweet it, and then a journalist to read the blog, also see the twitter hearsay, and then confirm it as fact...Mike Gminski is Mike Gbinije's father. Heck, they share the same first name, it MUST be true!

Devilsfan
01-02-2012, 01:30 PM
It must be true because ESPN said it. What's next? Will we hear that Duke has three generations of Plumlees sitting on their bench?

devildeac
01-02-2012, 02:06 PM
It must be true because ESPN said it. What's next? Will we hear that Duke has three generations of Plumlees sitting on their bench?

Or the Plumlee triplets:rolleyes:.

tommy
01-02-2012, 02:57 PM
And then a minute later the same guy, in narrating the UNC highlights, referred to "the freshman Harrison Barnes.". Dudes just an ignorant idiot.

NSDukeFan
01-02-2012, 03:02 PM
And then a minute later the same guy, in narrating the UNC highlights, referred to "the freshman Harrison Barnes.". Dudes just an ignorant idiot.

I believe Marvin Barnes' son (and Matt Barnes' brother) was supposed to be a one-and-done, so maybe the announcer was confused.

UrinalCake
01-02-2012, 03:40 PM
We should send in a rumor that PJ Hairston and Josh Hairston are brothers. See how far it goes.

Jim3k
01-02-2012, 04:00 PM
We should send in a rumor that PJ Hairston and Josh Hairston are brothers. See how far it goes.

And add that they are the grandchildren of Happy Hairston (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hairsha01.html)

Olympic Fan
01-02-2012, 04:03 PM
And add that they are the grandchildren of Happy Hairston (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hairsha01.html)

Hey, Happy was a North Carolina native born and raised in Winston-Salem! So we know that PJ -- a Greensboro native -- is not related to him?

BobbyFan
01-02-2012, 04:22 PM
In all seriousness, I have been surprised there's been no mention of the relationship between Alex Murphy and his father, actor/comedian Eddie Murphy.

BD80
01-02-2012, 05:01 PM
In all seriousness, I have been surprised there's been no mention of the relationship between Alex Murphy and his father, actor/comedian Eddie Murphy.

Wrong movie cop from Detroit.

devildeac
01-02-2012, 05:59 PM

Did you mean that Alex is related to this dude?

OldPhiKap
01-02-2012, 07:03 PM

Best.

Seque.

Ever!

theAlaskanBear
01-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Moar Intertube Cons-piracy:

G B I N I J E = 7
G M I N S K I = 7

Both have two I's.
Both end with a vowel.
Both names use "N" as the pivot.
Gman wore number 43 at Duke.
Gbinije wears number 13.
Both uniform numbers end in 3. The difference between the numbers is 30. Mike Gminski played his last game for Duke on March 15th, 1980 and Gbinije committed to Duke on March 11, 2010, almost exactly 30 years after GMan played his last game.

Now, Silent G was born on 06/05 which if you add together will equal 11.
Gman was born on 08/03 which added together will equal 11.
If you add the digits to their uniform numbers together you get 4+3+1+3= 11...eleven, ELEVEN.
There are 11 Dukes of Edom in the book of Genesis.
Genesis also starts with a G and G E N I S I S = 7 letters, just like the names.
Genesis of course means to be born or to come into being...the origin.

This is some serious numerology. The meaning is clear. Mike Gminski is the origin of Mike Gbinije, if not biologically then at least in some weird cosmic mathematical superstring kind of way.

(*another neat trick: take the digits of the combined uniform numbers and you can add them back up to make the birthdays of the two men. 3+3 and 4+1 equals 06/05 Gbinije and 4+3+1 and 3 equals 08/03 Gminski...each number is used and none more than once)

OldPhiKap
01-03-2012, 08:15 PM

G B I N I J E = 7
G M I N S K I = 7

Both have two I's.
Both end with a vowel.
Gbinije wears number 13.
Both uniform numbers end in 3. The difference between the numbers is 30. Mike Gminski played his last game for Duke on March 15th, 1980 and Gbinije committed to Duke on March 11, 2010, almost exactly 30 years after GMan played his last game.

If you add the digits to their uniform numbers together you get 4+3+1+3= 11...eleven, ELEVEN.
Genesis also starts with a G and G E N I S I S = 7 letters, just like the names.

This is some serious numerology. The meaning is clear. Mike Gminski is the origin of Mike Gbinije, if not biologically then at least in some weird cosmic mathematical superstring kind of way.

(*another neat trick: take the digits of the combined uniform numbers and you can add them back up to make the birthdays of the two men. 3+3 and 4+1 equals 06/05 Gbinije and 4+3+1 and 3 equals 08/03 Gminski...each number is used and none more than once)

Damn, it must be a cold night in Alaska.

(j/k -- excellent post!)

BD80
01-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Damn, it must be a cold night in Alaska. ...

Long too!

jimsumner
01-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Somebody has way too much free time on their hands. :)

G B I N I J E = 7
G M I N S K I = 7

Both have two I's.
Both end with a vowel.
Gbinije wears number 13.

Edouble
01-05-2012, 02:59 AM
Did you mean that Alex is related to this dude?

I've been waiting to see if someone would bring this up.