PDA

View Full Version : International recruiting...

SupaDave
12-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Of course, Duke doesn't have to do much of this but we've touched on it here and there in the past so I'm wondering if there are any good international recruits that are on the radar. Kids like Olek and Luol somewhat qualify but there's been schools that have made a living in other countries whereas Duke picked those kids up in the states. Considering that Duke has taken it's brand international and the fact that the world is now officially flat I'm wondering just how long we get a kid "fresh off the boat". I'm thinking Manute Bol here so humor me.

tommy
12-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Pocius?

Also, we've had a few Canadians. Danny Meagher and Greg Newton (he was Canadian, wasn't he?) come to mind.

Bluedog
12-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Of course, Duke doesn't have to do much of this but we've touched on it here and there in the past so I'm wondering if there are any good international recruits that are on the radar. Kids like Olek and Luol somewhat qualify but there's been schools that have made a living in other countries whereas Duke picked those kids up in the states. Considering that Duke has taken it's brand international and the fact that the world is now officially flat I'm wondering just how long we get a kid "fresh off the boat". I'm thinking Manute Bol here so humor me.

I recall Coach K saying something during Luol's recruitment that he's not interested going overseas to watch/recruit high school players, but if they come to the U.S. for school, then it's a different story. I'm sure Canada is fine though. Not sure if he's changed his tune since 2003. I can't seem to find the exact quote right now either...Marty (Pocius) also went to prep school in the U.S. for two years.

jimsumner
12-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Add Cameron Hall to the list of Duke Canadians. He was a Foster guy. I believe all three of the Duke Canadians were from Ontario, which is a suburb of the United States, anyway. :)

But Christian Ast, Luol Deng, Marty Pocius, Eric Boateng and Olek Czyz all prepped in the U.S. When K became head coach of the U.S. team, there was some speculation that this might make Duke more attractive to international recruits. If so, it doesn't seem to be an advantage K is interested in pursuing.

Indoor66
12-30-2011, 02:16 PM
I can understand a reluctance to attempt to recruit outside the U.S. The logistical pressure would be incredible. Imagine the difficulty with travel, time management and application of human resources. I can hardly understand how the coaches cover the territory they do cover, much less adding Europe, Africa, South America, Australia and Asia to the mix! Better to miss an international player occasionally than to diminish or kill the effectiveness of recruiting here in the States.

lotusland
12-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Juts curious - did the coaching staff travel to Alaska while recruiting Langdon or Boozer?

sagegrouse
12-31-2011, 08:06 AM
I can understand a reluctance to attempt to recruit outside the U.S. The logistical pressure would be incredible. Imagine the difficulty with travel, time management and application of human resources. I can hardly understand how the coaches cover the territory they do cover, much less adding Europe, Africa, South America, Australia and Asia to the mix! Better to miss an international player occasionally than to diminish or kill the effectiveness of recruiting here in the States.

Indoor, I agree with the recitation of the difficulties. But, if any US college could recruit well overseas, why wouldn't it be the school that has the coach of the US national team?

Maybe a few phone calls from K to his colleagues in other countries could produce some useful leads?

sage