PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League And The ACC

NYC Duke Fan
12-29-2011, 06:39 AM
Just saw the lines in Today's NY Post for tonights games...Harvard is an 11 1/2 favorite at BC and Wake is just a 1 1/2 point favorite at home against Yale.

I do not know if they are correct but if they were I was very surprised to see them especially Wake's.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Those are correct - you have somehow missed this board's excitement over what Tommy has done with Harvard. They currently ranked in both polls.

As far as Wake/Yale, well, Wake's not very good this year.

There are threads on this board following both Tommy Amaker's ascension at Harvard and Johnny D's work at Stanford. I suggest checking them out; they are both really doing some great work.

subzero02
12-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Amaker takes his troops to Boston College tonight. According to Ken Poemroy's ACC simulations, the BC Eagles have less than a 1 in 10,000 chance of winning the conference. How do you think they will fair against one of the best Ivy league squads in recent memory.
Please provide your score predictions.
Harvard 72 Boston College 56

CameronBornAndBred
12-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Harvard has beaten BC every year that Tommy has been coaching, so I'm sure it's a game that the Eagles have written down on their schedule with a bit of a grudge. Besides the win streak, it's also impressive that each one has been a road victory for the Crimson.

CameronBornAndBred
12-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Harvard has beaten BC every year that Tommy has been coaching, so I'm sure it's a game that the Eagles have written down on their schedule with a bit of a grudge.

HA! A fun article from after last year's game, from the BC perspective.

I'm going to get right to the point and not sugarcoat this: BC's loss to Harvard was bad. Really bad. Season destroying? For now, I'll say no but without a doubt our tournament hopes are in the ICU and another shocker like this puts them in the morgue

http://www.aroundtheres.com/2011/01/3rd-time-isnt-charm-another-bad-loss-to.html

loran16
12-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Amaker takes his troops to Boston College tonight. According to Ken Poemroy's ACC simulations, the BC Eagles have less than a 1 in 10,000 chance of winning the conference. How do you think they will fair against one of the best Ivy league squads in recent memory.
Please provide your score predictions.
Harvard 72 Boston College 56

Pomeroy has BC with only a 13% chance of victory, and a projected margin of 67-56 (Both teams are slow enough that scoring 72 points would be tough.) Of course, this is in the top 3 hardest games for BC this year, though they're previous 2 (Neutral games against SLU and UNM respectively) were on neutral floors. This is a home game. And they're still 11 point dogs. Ouch.

burnspbesq
12-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Harvard got off to a very slow start (six minutes before its first field goal), but they are now on a 15-2 run and lead by six with five minutes to go in the first half.

CameronBornAndBred
12-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Harvard got off to a very slow start (six minutes before its first field goal), but they are now on a 15-2 run and lead by six with five minutes to go in the first half.
Any K-style tongue lashings?:eek:

subzero02
12-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Harvard 67 BC 46... nice recovery by the crimson after falling behind 14-3

roywhite
12-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Harvard 67 BC 46... nice recovery by the crimson after falling behind 14-3

4th year in a row that Harvard has beaten BC.
When man bites dog repeatedly, is it still news?
Or maybe BC is a lost dog that didn't adapt well at all to it's ACC home?

Sorry for the labored metaphors; I'm happy for Tommy and what he's accomplished at Harvard.
Don't like seeing BC and a few other ACC schools failing to live up to the historical excellence of ACC hoops.

-bdbd
12-29-2011, 11:30 PM
4th year in a row that Harvard has beaten BC.
When man bites dog repeatedly, is it still news?
Or maybe BC is a lost dog that didn't adapt well at all to it's ACC home?

Sorry for the labored metaphors; I'm happy for Tommy and what he's accomplished at Harvard.
Don't like seeing BC and a few other ACC schools failing to live up to the historical excellence of ACC hoops.

Wow - Harvard crunches BC at Chestnut Hill by 20! Ouch. That has gotta hurt for the Eagle fans - they've always lorded that BB (and really athletics in general) superiority over Harvard within the Boston area. The BC fans were really fired up in the first ten minutes with the solid initial lead. My sister, a BC grad, was at the game and reported that "Amaker was definately being heard in the first half." So, yes, his players (and some refs) heard his frustration.

Not looking like a good year for BC.

NYC Duke Fan
12-30-2011, 12:32 AM
Wow, the oddsmakers were right on with the Wake-Yale game...Wake 72 Yale 71 and Wake was a 1 1/2 point favorite.

CDu
12-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Not looking like a good year for BC.

BC should consider themselves extremely fortunate if they manage to win 10 games this year.

1 24 90
12-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Princeton up 27-10 at the half at Florida State. Unreal.

Bob Green
12-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Princeton hung on to beat FSU 75-73 in Triple Overtime. Next up in the Ivy League/ACC Challenge is Duke vs Penn on Sunday. The Quakers are 6-7 after dropping a 75-70 decision to Davidson on Thursday. Duke beat Davidson 82-69 back on November 18th.

Mike Corey
12-30-2011, 10:09 PM
The ACC is as top-heavy as an orange on a toothpick.

Newton_14
12-30-2011, 10:32 PM

Yep. It's sad really. I really hope this year is rock bottom, and the new coaches start moving the bar upward beginning next year. I believe we finally have good coaches now at all of the schools except Wake and UNC (I keed I keed). So now it;s time to recruit and build programs. If the Regular Season winner finishes with more than 3 losses I will be amazed.

subzero02
12-30-2011, 11:30 PM

FSU was supposed to comprise part of the orange, not the toothpick. I saw how good Princeton was last year when I attended their NCAA tourney game versus Kentcuky. Still, the halftime score of 27-10 over FSU was shocking. Considering the solid play of some IVY league schools thus far, should we be quaking in our boots over our impending trip to the Palestra?

sagegrouse
12-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Princeton hung on to beat FSU 75-73 in Triple Overtime. Next up in the Ivy League/ACC Challenge is Duke vs Penn on Sunday. The Quakers are 6-7 after dropping a 75-70 decision to Davidson on Thursday. Duke beat Davidson 82-69 back on November 18th.

Fortunately for Florida State that, having lost to Harvard and Princeton, it does not have to play Yale. Ten points in the first half? Yikes!!

sage

Olympic Fan
12-31-2011, 01:20 AM
Well, the Ivy now has a 3-2 edge on the ACC with Harvard beating FSU and Boston College; Princeton beating FSU; N.C. State beating Princeton and Wake Forest edging Yale.

So if Duke wins Sunday vs. Penn, the ACC can get even.

Then the rubber match will be Jan. 3, when Maryland meets Cornell.

Mike Corey
12-31-2011, 01:33 AM
Well, at least the Ivy League is finally good at something. It only took 400 years.

hurleyfor3
12-31-2011, 03:26 AM
Well, at least the Ivy League is finally good at something. It only took 400 years.

They're not at all good at hiring me. I consider them useless.

devildeac
12-31-2011, 07:45 AM
Well, the Ivy now has a 3-2 edge on the ACC with Harvard beating FSU and Boston College; Princeton beating FSU; N.C. State beating Princeton and Wake Forest edging Yale.

So if Duke wins Sunday vs. Penn, the ACC can get even.

Then the rubber match will be Jan. 3, when Maryland meets Cornell.

"High above Cayuga's waters" or at the mostly empty Comcrap Center?

77devil
12-31-2011, 08:22 AM

On FSU's home floor no less. That the Ivies lead in inter conference play against the ACC speaks volumes about the weakness of the conference apart from Duke and UNC.

Look for former governor Ed Rendell in the house tomorrow. He is a huge Penn fan.

COYS
12-31-2011, 12:45 PM
On FSU's home floor no less. That the Ivies lead in inter conference play against the ACC speaks volumes about the weakness of the conference apart from Duke and UNC.

Look for former governor Ed Rendell in the house tomorrow. He is a huge Penn fan.

It's a pretty decent year for Ivy hoops, too, though. In most seasons, Princeton's experienced team would probably be favored to win and be the Ivies' best team. A close win over an ACC opponent would be an upset for sure, but not completely unlikely. (They totally should have beaten NC State earlier in the season, too, but failed to play well enough to lock down a win over the undermanned WolfPack.) This year, however, Harvard has really raised the bar and has a team that can compete in any conference. Harvard beating FSU was a nice win for them, but that is probably a toss up game between to talented teams and not a shocking win (Harvard is rated higher in KenPom). Harvard over Boston College is no surprise at all, as you'd have to guess Harvard would be somewhere between 5-3 in the ACC this year.

Mike Corey
12-31-2011, 01:00 PM
They're not at all good at hiring me. I consider them useless.

Don't fault them for not being able to afford you.

Back to the topic: the New York Times has published a series (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/25/sports/before-athletic-recruiting-in-the-ivy-league-some-math.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=ivy%20league&st=cse) of (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/23/sports/benefits-and-complications-in-ivy-league-recruiting.html?scp=3&sq=ivy%20league&st=cse) articles (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/23/sports/financial-aid-changes-game-as-sports-teams-in-ivies-rise.html?scp=4&sq=ivy%20league&st=cse) on the surging competitiveness of Ivy League athletics, and how the institutions have found ways to funnel money to create de facto athletic scholarships on a scale and breadth that (seemingly) had not been in place until recently.

I think it's terrific--and reasonable--that Ivy League basketball should be able to compete outside of itself. But I do not think it's terrific that its top teams should be able to compete with the ACC's mid-level programs. I'll have some cheese with that whine.

devildeac
12-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Don't fault them for not being able to afford you.

Back to the topic: the New York Times has published a series (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/25/sports/before-athletic-recruiting-in-the-ivy-league-some-math.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=ivy%20league&st=cse) of (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/23/sports/benefits-and-complications-in-ivy-league-recruiting.html?scp=3&sq=ivy%20league&st=cse) articles (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/23/sports/financial-aid-changes-game-as-sports-teams-in-ivies-rise.html?scp=4&sq=ivy%20league&st=cse) on the surging competitiveness of Ivy League athletics, and how the institutions have found ways to funnel money to create de facto athletic scholarships on a scale and breadth that (seemingly) had not been in place until recently.

I think it's terrific--and reasonable--that Ivy League basketball should be able to compete outside of itself. But I do not think it's terrific that its top teams should be able to compete with the ACC's mid-level programs. I'll have some cheese with that whine.

Gouda or sharp cheddar?

Chardonnay or merlot?

;)

OldPhiKap
12-31-2011, 04:16 PM
Gouda or sharp cheddar?

Chardonnay or merlot?

;)

harvardi cheese, a wine from the Columbia valley.

devildeac
12-31-2011, 04:26 PM
harvardi cheese, a wine from the Columbia valley.

Clever. But, I guess it really should be hahvahdi cheese. And only if the w(h)ine is not an atrocious Columbia blue hue;).

OldPhiKap
12-31-2011, 10:26 PM
Clever. But, I guess it really should be hahvahdi cheese. And only if the w(h)ine is not an atrocious Columbia blue hue;).

Well, as long as it's not Brown.

devildeac
01-01-2012, 01:22 AM
Well, as long as it's not Brown.
Many more of those and you'll end up in the Penn.

Dukeface88
01-01-2012, 02:33 AM

That's a pretty serious Dart coming form your mouth.

OldPhiKap
01-01-2012, 08:46 AM

Don't make me go all Seven Sisters on you.

devildeac
01-01-2012, 01:20 PM
That's a pretty serious Dart coming form your mouth.

Don't make me go all Seven Sisters on you.

I believe that will just about cover it/them so it's all academic now.