PDA

View Full Version : 'Hoos lose Johnson

jimsumner
12-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Two transfers in two days.

Merry Christmas, Tony Bennett.

What make this curious is that Johnson redshirted last season. So, he loses a year. He was considered quite a prospect out of high school but never found any traction in Charlottesville.

From Virginia press release

"Virginia men’s head basketball coach Tony Bennett announced on Saturday (Dec. 24) that redshirt freshman forward James Johnson (Wildomar, Calif.) is leaving the Cavaliers’ program.

“I met with James this morning (Saturday, Dec. 24) and he informed me that he would be transferring,”Bennett said. “I wish him well. Obviously with KT Harrell yesterday and James today deciding not to continue at Virginia I am disappointed. But with that being said, if James and KT feel it’s best for them not to be here I think it’sbetter for everyone to part ways."

The 6-9 Johnson has played in six games this season, scoring nine points and grabbing eight rebounds. He redshirted during the 2010-11 season.

“I love and respect all the individuals that make up the Virginia basketball program,” Johnson said. “They helped me grow in so many ways. The support and love they showed me was unbelievable and it will be very hard to leave this group. However, I feel strongly that it is in my best interest to pursue other opportunities. I will miss the guys on the team as well as the coaching staff a lot and I hope they have a great season.” "

Olympic Fan
12-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Actually, by leaving at midseason, Johnson will end up losing half a season (really not that much, since the first "half" of any season usually includes just 8-10 games).

If Johnson enrolls at his new school in second semester, he'll be eligibile in December of next year. He'll end up getting two-and-a-half seasons at his new school.

I think Johnson's departure is an unfortunate consequence of Mike Scott's return for a fifth season. He was redshirted last year because he was so much like Scott. Then Scott gets hurt and their don't have either last season. Then Scott returns and there's little time for Johnson.

Heard some great reports from Virginia people as to Johnson's potential. Now with Scott and Sene both leaving after this year, the Cavs will be huirting inside a year from now.

jimsumner
12-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Actually, by leaving at midseason, Johnson will end up losing half a season (really not that much, since the first "half" of any season usually includes just 8-10 games).

If Johnson enrolls at his new school in second semester, he'll be eligibile in December of next year. He'll end up getting two-and-a-half seasons at his new school.

I think Johnson's departure is an unfortunate consequence of Mike Scott's return for a fifth season. He was redshirted last year because he was so much like Scott. Then Scott gets hurt and their don't have either last season. Then Scott returns and there's little time for Johnson.

Heard some great reports from Virginia people as to Johnson's potential. Now with Scott and Sene both leaving after this year, the Cavs will be huirting inside a year from now.

Johnson will lose the coming spring semester and the subsequent fall semester at his new school. He will end up playing three full seasons of college basketball. Out of a possible four had he not transferred. So, he's losing a season of collegiate eligibilty.

TruBlu
12-26-2011, 05:42 PM
That has to be painful!