PDA

View Full Version : Jason Capel = Josh McRoberts

m g
12-19-2011, 02:18 PM
from the front page, it looks like UNC also has a player that fans are cruel to because they want a scapegoat for a few below-expectations seasons

CDu
12-19-2011, 03:06 PM
from the front page, it looks like UNC also has a player that fans are cruel to because they want a scapegoat for a few below-expectations seasons

Nobody woofed more after a making FG while down 15-20 late in the second half than Jason Capel.

nocilla
12-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Nobody woofed more after a making FG while down 15-20 late in the second half than Jason Capel.

Maybe Henson in the 82-50 game?

UrinalCake
12-19-2011, 03:33 PM
I see your point, but I don't think Capel was ranked nearly as high as McRoberts. Thus he didn't have quite the same expectations.

Olympic Fan
12-19-2011, 04:18 PM
While it's true that Capel wasn't ranked QUITE as high as Josh McRoberts, he was a consensus top 10 prospect. He was ranked as high as No. 5 by Prep Stars and All-Star Sports.

A yeah, he caught some flack from the UNC fans during his senior season, when UNC was 8-22.

But the real comparison is not McRoberts, but his own brother. It's part of the UNC mythology that Jason was booed at Duke and the fans lack of respect was the reason that Jeff decided to play at North Carolina.

That whole debate stems from one single incident, early in Jeff's senior season, when he was having a terrible game in a home contest against Florida State. Late in the game, with the issue in doubt, K sent Capel to the scorer's table. There was a negative reaction from the crowd -- I thought it sounded like a collective "Oh No!" ... others heard it as booing. Whatever it was, it was a brief moment that was instantly answered by an overwhelmingly positive reaction. There was nothing else like that the rest of the way as Jeff finished his senior season strong, helping Duke win the ACC regular season title. As the rest of the team ran out of gas in postseason, he was the one player who help playing well.

In contrast, I've heard loud sustained booing in the Smith Center directed at their fans fairly frequently -- King Rice was a target in 1990. The worst was during a homecourt loss to UCLA in 2000, when Brenda Heywood was unmercifully booed by his home fans (to be fair, he deserved it -- he was loafing badly). Larry Drew caught plenty in 2010 (one reason he was so quick to bail of theprogram a year later). UNC players were frequently booed at home during their 2002 nightmare -- when Jason was a senior -- but I can't say that was by the UNC fans -- their fairweather boosters were so absent that the NC fans in the Smith Center were frequently outnumbered by the visiots. Nice to hear from Jason that he feels like he was a scapegoat for that horrible season.

I'm sure none of this matters to the Wal-Mart UNC fan who sees everything through pale blue glasses. In their world, Duke fans booed Jeff Capel, while every UNC player is treated like family.

Rich
12-19-2011, 04:32 PM
While it's true that Capel wasn't ranked QUITE as high as Josh McRoberts, he was a consensus top 10 prospect. He was ranked as high as No. 5 by Prep Stars and All-Star Sports.

A yeah, he caught some flack from the UNC fans during his senior season, when UNC was 8-22.

But the real comparison is not McRoberts, but his own brother. It's part of the UNC mythology that Jason was booed at Duke and the fans lack of respect was the reason that Jeff decided to play at North Carolina.

That whole debate stems from one single incident, early in Jeff's senior season, when he was having a terrible game in a home contest against Florida State. Late in the game, with the issue in doubt, K sent Capel to the scorer's table. There was a negative reaction from the crowd -- I thought it sounded like a collective "Oh No!" ... others heard it as booing. Whatever it was, it was a brief moment that was instantly answered by an overwhelmingly positive reaction. There was nothing else like that the rest of the way as Jeff finished his senior season strong, helping Duke win the ACC regular season title. As the rest of the team ran out of gas in postseason, he was the one player who help playing well.

In contrast, I've heard loud sustained booing in the Smith Center directed at their fans fairly frequently -- King Rice was a target in 1990. The worst was during a homecourt loss to UCLA in 2000, when Brenda Heywood was unmercifully booed by his home fans (to be fair, he deserved it -- he was loafing badly). Larry Drew caught plenty in 2010 (one reason he was so quick to bail of theprogram a year later). UNC players were frequently booed at home during their 2002 nightmare -- when Jason was a senior -- but I can't say that was by the UNC fans -- their fairweather boosters were so absent that the NC fans in the Smith Center were frequently outnumbered by the visiots. Nice to hear from Jason that he feels like he was a scapegoat for that horrible season.

I'm sure none of this matters to the Wal-Mart UNC fan who sees everything through pale blue glasses. In their world, Duke fans booed Jeff Capel, while every UNC player is treated like family.

Seems to have been a prior topic of discussion on this Board with differing accounts. http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?15290-G-man-says-many-Duke-fans-did-not-like-Capel Whatever it was, I'm glad that Jeff felt comfortable enough to come back. I think he's a real asset to the staff.

gumbomoop
12-19-2011, 04:34 PM
It's part of the UNC mythology that Jason was booed at Duke and the fans lack of respect was the reason that Jeff decided to play at North Carolina.

Olympic Fan's otherwise excellent explanation contains this error. OF meant to say the UNC myth was that Jeff was booed at Duke, and therefore brother Jason went to UNC.

Rich
12-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Olympic Fan's otherwise excellent explanation contains this error. OF meant to say the UNC myth was that Jeff was booed at Duke, and therefore brother Jason went to UNC.

He did get it half right (sort of). Jason was booed at Duke quite a lot.

gumbomoop
12-19-2011, 04:45 PM
He did get it half right (sort of). Jason was booed at Duke quite a lot.

You're right. I bet OF slipped that one in there to catch up snooty pedants [me, not you], and I fell for it. I shoulda stayed home.

Wander
12-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Maybe Henson in the 82-50 game?

Nope! He was down way more than 15 points at the time :)

verga
12-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Jason Capel at one time was a 5 star recruit and listed in some magazines top 5. Needless to say he and Ronald Curry were both overrated, with Curry being #1 in some recruiters listings. It's funny carolina fans never seem to want to talk about Curry who couldn't throw it in the ocean.

greybeard
12-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Jason Capel at one time was a 5 star recruit and listed in some magazines top 5. Needless to say he and Ronald Curry were both overrated, with Curry being #1 in some recruiters listings. It's funny carolina fans never seem to want to talk about Curry who couldn't throw it in the ocean.

Haven't heard that since high school, "why are you passing it to him (never to me, they don['t throw it to guys at the end of the bench), he couldn't throw it in the ocean." "Those wre the days, my friend . . . ." Thanks, Verga, and an apt description of Curry as well.

UrinalCake
12-19-2011, 11:14 PM
I was at the infamous "booing" game. I didn't hear boos. Maybe some groans, or gasps, but not boos. I always thought the whole incident has been terribly exagerrated.

I didn't realize Jason Capel was rated so highly. I guess I feel like McRoberts was expected to carry the team his sophomore year, and I never really heard those expectations placed on Capel. Which is why I didn't think it was an exact comparison. But then again those UNC teams were so awful that perhaps expectations were low overall. Man, I miss those days :)