PDA

View Full Version : Saturday (Dec. 17) Games

Olympic Fan
12-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Just got through watching Miami hold off Florida Atlantic, 93-90 in double overtime.

Significant because it marked the return of Reggie Johnson. Returning from his knee injury, Johnson went 36 minutes and had 15 points, nine eounds, five assists and five blocked shots.

Yet, even with that and 14 of 20 shooting from the free throw line and 62 percent shooting from the field, the 'Canes had to play 10 extra minutes to beat a 4-7 Florida Atlantic team on a neutral court.

The problem is that Miami remains one of the worst defensive teams ever and are still prone to boneheaded plays. That all came together at the end of regulation, when with Miami up 3 and under 10 seconds left, they decided not to foul (which is a defensable, if debatable decision), but then allowed Florida Atlantic's best 3-point shooter Omari Grier (who had seven 3-pointers en route to a 27-point performance) to get wide open for the tying 3-pointer with 1.6 seconds left. They gave up a potential game tying 3 (again wide open) at the end of the second OT when Malcolm Grant (last year an 85.3 percent FT shooter) missed two FTs with 10 seconds left.

I guess my point is that Miami looks like the same bad defense/bad decision making team we've gotten used to in recent years -- even with the change in coaches. Now that Johnson is back and apparently healthy enough to play, they will be dangerous, but until they show me some smarts and some defense, I can't see them as one of the second-echelon ACC teams (along with FSU, Virginia and maybe NC State).

I watched Ohio State, playing again without Sullinger, struggle before beating a really bad South Carolina team. I've been switchinhg over to watch Baylor -- playing their first real opponent this season -- fight back after trailing most of the way ... now looks like they're going to hold off BYU in Provo. Oops, may have typed that too soo ... BYU just cut it to one with 90 seconds left. I'll be signing off to watch the endof that one.

Stay tuned fr Syracuse at NC State later today.

Wander
12-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Florida might be underrated. They're currently demolishing Texas A&M - the only game between two top 25 teams today. They have two losses... close losses, on the road, to the current #1 and #2 teams. No great wins yet, but they look really good.

COYS
12-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Florida might be underrated. They're currently demolishing Texas A&M - the only game between two top 25 teams today. They have two losses... close losses, on the road, to the current #1 and #2 teams. No great wins yet, but they look really good.

KenPom really likes Florida's offense (#1) but HATES their defense (#68). With that offense, though, they're definitely a team that can beat anyone. Actually, they're having a year similar to Duke in that the disparity between their offensive and defensive rankings is pretty significant except that the split for the Gators is even more extreme.

Olympic Fan
12-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Great finish to the Purdue-Butler game ... Purdue led almost the entire way, but missed some key FTs at the end. Butler gets a tipin at the buzzer to win. Indiana is control of their game with Notre Dame.

Blowout win for Va Tech. Clemson is cruising past Winthrop and UNC is off to a 13-2 start against App State.

Looks like the ACC will be 4-0 today, going into the Syracuse-State game in about half a hour.

1 24 90
12-17-2011, 07:08 PM
The Syracuse fans at NC State are pretty loud. Crazy!

Olympic Fan
12-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Good stafrt by State, up eight early. But giving up 23 straighhtpoints late in the first half ... wow.

I guess Gottfried's kids are still not ready for prime time. But I think they're on the right path.

Just an aside, but I could help noticing that Vanderbilt lost at home to Indiana State today. They are 6-4 ... OT losses to Louisville and Xavier aren't bad, but they also have homecourt losses to Cleveland State and now Indiana State. What's their best win? NC State? Oregon? . I know it's petty of me to bring this up, but I did argue pretty strenuously preseason that Vandy was a ridiculous preseason top 10 pick.

Although, to be fair, it's looking like I did overrate Florida State ...

dukeballboy88
12-18-2011, 12:04 AM
App St didnt shoot 1 free throw the first half.

DukieInBrasil
12-18-2011, 08:40 AM
App St didnt shoot 1 free throw the first half.
You've got it all wrong, DUKE gets all the calls, and UNC is always the victim.
I'm there's a simple explanation, like the refs whistles were malfunctioning when the ball was on App St's side of the court. It can happen, even to the best of refs.

COYS
12-18-2011, 10:37 AM
You've got it all wrong, DUKE gets all the calls, and UNC is always the victim.
I'm there's a simple explanation, like the refs whistles were malfunctioning when the ball was on App St's side of the court. It can happen, even to the best of refs.

It was still a poor defensive effort by the Heels. While their defense in KenPom is still ranked higher than ours (which is at it's worst in recent memory as far as Duke is concerned), it has seen a pretty steep decline over the past few games. The offenses are almost identical. Whichever team is able to get it together defensively has the inside track in the ACC.

uh_no
12-18-2011, 02:11 PM
i know its not saturday anymore

but xavier is getting slaughtered right now

down 19 with 17 minutes to go.....to oral roberts

Olympic Fan
12-18-2011, 04:13 PM
i know its not saturday anymore

but xavier is getting slaughtered right now

down 19 with 17 minutes to go.....to oral roberts

Just to be clear, Xavier was playing without several key players, who were suspended after the brawl with Cincinnati.

Two early ACC wins today. BC broke open a close game with Bryant College in the second half and won by 20. Wake struggled a bit, but got win No. 7 vs. Gardner Webb. FSU is rolling at home against Loyola Marymount.

Big test for Virginia, starting at 5:30 at Oregon.

Slackerb
12-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Great basketball game to watch in the State/Syracuse game.

State just didn't have the depth to stay competitive all 40 minutes, but they definitely gave Syracuse a run and played well for most of the game.

They built up an 8 point lead in the first half before bringing the bench in and that started a tailspin that ended the half with Syracuse up 14 or so. But in the second half, State came out again on fire and came back to take a brief lead before Syracuse pulled away again for the win. Notably, State again lost steam when CJ Leslie went out with cramps and had to go to the locker room. He's been fighting this for the past few games and I believe he had a deep thigh bruise a few games ago, which could be the cause.

Also, why no ACC roundup for Saturday's games?