PDA

View Full Version : Book - The Last Great Game: Duke vs. Kentucky (not about BBQ)

HaveFunExpectToWin
12-16-2011, 05:47 PM
I was doing some last minute shopping and came across this book (http://www.amazon.com/Last-Great-Game-Kentucky-Basketball/dp/039915857X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324074779&sr=1-2) that's coming out in January by Gene Wojciechowski. Sounds interesting. Anyone heard anything about this? I'm a little surprised I haven't.

Oh yeah, I'm also a bit troubled by this line in the About the Author section: "A former Duke hater, Wojciechowski has made peace with the Blue Devils. He lives in Wheaton, Illinois." He'd better include some analysis on how Richie Farmer's cheap shot push in the back that knocked Christian to the floor is what led to the infamous Timberlake love tap.

77devil
12-16-2011, 05:57 PM
I was doing some last minute shopping and came across this book (http://www.amazon.com/Last-Great-Game-Kentucky-Basketball/dp/039915857X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324074779&sr=1-2) that's coming out in January by Gene Wojciechowski. Sounds interesting. Anyone heard anything about this? I'm a little surprised I haven't.

Oh yeah, I'm also a bit troubled by this line in the About the Author section: "A former Duke hater, Wojciechowski has made peace with the Blue Devils. He lives in Wheaton, Illinois." He'd better include some analysis on how Richie Farmer's cheap shot push in the back that knocked Christian to the floor is what led to the infamous Timberlake love tap.

Nothing pointing to Duke hate per se in his Wiki bio. except maybe his association with ESPN the Magazine. There's something in the water in Bristol. I'd be cautious before laying out the cash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Wojciechowski

Olympic Fan
12-16-2011, 07:47 PM
I know Gene pretty well and I've never heard him labeled as a Duke hater.

He's one of the best -- and fairest --of the long-time sports WRITERS (which is quite different from the new breed of bloggers, twitterers and blowhards that populate the sports landscape) in the country, right up this with Dick "Hoops" Weiss, Alexander Wolff and Malcolm Moran. I also know that he's always had a good relationship with Coach K.

Now, I haven't read the book, but I'll be shocked if it's not a reasonable and fair account of the game. Sure, he'll talk about Laettner's "stomp", but I'm sure he'll report it fairly and in full context.

gam7
12-16-2011, 07:56 PM
I was doing some last minute shopping ...

It's only Dec. 16. My "last minute shopping" practice always seems to involve a much more literal interpretation of the term.

And with respect to G. Wojo, he writes very compelling, interesting, tough pieces for yahoo!, usually on NBA topics. I have read him pretty regularly ever since his in-depth coverage and commentary about the Lebron Decision and fallout. I also had not heard of the book until I saw it today on amazon, but would be interested in reading it.

hq2
12-16-2011, 08:21 PM
"The last great game"; like there haven't been any great ones since then? How about the Carolina-Michigan game in '93?
The Duke-Uconn game in '99 (even though we lost!) How about the Kansas National Championship in '08? Or the Duke-Butler
game in '10, whose ending would have topped Laettner's if the Hayward heave had gone in? I mean, overall,
'92 was the last really great year in college hoops, before everyone started leaving early, but there have been a few pretty
good games since then. That's kind of a pretentious title.

HaveFunExpectToWin
12-16-2011, 08:34 PM
It's only Dec. 16. My "last minute shopping" practice always seems to involve a much more literal interpretation of the term.

True but I typically do all shopping online so I include a buffer for shipping. :)

I dont remember other-Wojo being a hater, I'm assuming that blurb came from his publicist.

elvis14
12-16-2011, 08:48 PM
What kind of BBQ do you prefer?

jimsumner
12-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Why would a publisher time a book to come out two weeks after the end of the biggest shopping orgy of the year? Even the gift certificates will be gone by then.

Curious.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Why would a publisher time a book to come out two weeks after the end of the biggest shopping orgy of the year? Even the gift certificates will be gone by then.

Curious.

Oh, Jim! How can you be so practical and deflate this dream?;)

geno
12-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Gene Wojciechowski here--author of ``The Last Great Game.'' A buddy of mine from Duke emailed the thread, so I thought I'd clarify a few things.
Yes, the book exists and will be released Jan. 5. And no, I am not a Duke ``hater''--past, present or future. Someone got a little too clever when they wrote the PR release. Anyway, how can anybody with the same last name as Steve Wojciechowski be anti-Duke?

The book chronicles the greatest college hoops game of all time, the 1992 East Regional final between Duke-Kentucky. I covered that game for the LA Times and what with the 20-year anniversary coming up in March, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to revisit how those two programs, those two great coaches and those two very different teams came to meet that night in Philadelphia's Spectrum. The access and cooperation I received from those coaches and former players (and others involved with those programs, CBS, the Fab Five, etc.--I interviewed nearly 100 people for the project) was amazing. Coach K, Laettner, Pitino, The Unforgettables, Grant, Bobby, Tom Butters, (and on and on) couldn't have been nicer--or more honest.

I have two book signings in Durham in mid-January---one next to Cameron at the Sports Hall of Fame, and one at the Regulator. Hope to see you there.

All the best. And happy holidays.

GW

-jk
12-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks for stopping by! Hope you can visit now and again.

I'm looking forward to the book. It was an awesome game.

-jk

Newton_14
12-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Gene Wojciechowski here--author of ``The Last Great Game.'' A buddy of mine from Duke emailed the thread, so I thought I'd clarify a few things.
Yes, the book exists and will be released Jan. 5. And no, I am not a Duke ``hater''--past, present or future. Someone got a little too clever when they wrote the PR release. Anyway, how can anybody with the same last name as Steve Wojciechowski be anti-Duke?

The book chronicles the greatest college hoops game of all time, the 1992 East Regional final between Duke-Kentucky. I covered that game for the LA Times and what with the 20-year anniversary coming up in March, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to revisit how those two programs, those two great coaches and those two very different teams came to meet that night in Philadelphia's Spectrum. The access and cooperation I received from those coaches and former players (and others involved with those programs, CBS, the Fab Five, etc.--I interviewed nearly 100 people for the project) was amazing. Coach K, Laettner, Pitino, The Unforgettables, Grant, Bobby, Tom Butters, (and on and on) couldn't have been nicer--or more honest.

I have two book signings in Durham in mid-January---one next to Cameron at the Sports Hall of Fame, and one at the Regulator. Hope to see you there.

GW

Thanks for stopping in to post on your book. Much appreciated. I look forward to reading it and will make every attempt to be at CIS for the signing. Welcome to DBR and a Merry Christmas to you and your family!

subzero02
12-20-2011, 01:14 AM

GW

Looking forward to reading the book... Thanks for posting, hopefully you'll come back as the season progresses and after we have had a chance to read your book.

barjwr
12-20-2011, 07:53 AM
He'd better include some analysis on how Richie Farmer's cheap shot push in the back that knocked Christian to the floor is what led to the infamous Timberlake love tap.

I'm pretty sure it was actually Deron Feldhaus. Richie Farmer was the little point guard with the great 'stache who played bigger and better than his size (kind of like our Wojo, actually). I remember noting often throughout the game that Feldhaus seemed like a not-so-skilled punk, and I wasn't surprised to see him shove Laettner after that made basket.

Newton_14
12-20-2011, 08:25 AM
I'm pretty sure it was actually Deron Feldhaus. Richie Farmer was the little point guard with the great 'stache who played bigger and better than his size (kind of like our Wojo, actually). I remember noting often throughout the game that Feldhaus seemed like a not-so-skilled punk, and I wasn't surprised to see him shove Laettner after that made basket.

Timberlake also shoved Laettner after a Kentucky made basket and threw in a verbal taunt for good measure. If you have the DVD of that game, go back and focus on Timberlake in his limited minutes. Think folks will find that interesting. (But, that said, I still maintain the love tap was one of the biggest boneheaded plays of all time for a Duke player, and Laettner is one of my all-time favorite Duke players)

JasonEvans
12-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Ok, you want a good endorsement of this book?

Jay Bilas just tweeted that he read it and loved it. He says, "I was on Coach K's coaching staff, and I'm learning new stuff."

That's all I need to know. It is on my post-XMas shopping list, for sure!

-Jason "thanks for stopping by and telling us a bit more about it, Geno!" Evans

jv001
12-20-2011, 10:39 PM

GW

Thanks for stopping by DBR. Looking forward to reading a book about the best basketball game I had the fortune to watch. I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and God bless. GoDuke!

Faison1
12-21-2011, 08:44 AM
"The last great game"; like there haven't been any great ones since then? How about the Carolina-Michigan game in '93?
The Duke-Uconn game in '99 (even though we lost!) How about the Kansas National Championship in '08? Or the Duke-Butler
game in '10, whose ending would have topped Laettner's if the Hayward heave had gone in? I mean, overall,
'92 was the last really great year in college hoops, before everyone started leaving early, but there have been a few pretty
good games since then. That's kind of a pretentious title.

It's widely accepted that the 2 best games in modern history were the Maryland-NCState game (to get the ACC bid for the NCAA Tournament) and the Duke-Kentucky game.

The games you mention are laced with players making major mistakes, missing free throws, or even blown calls by refs.

There's been some wonderful games since '92, but nothing in the same league.

hq2
12-21-2011, 10:02 AM
It's widely accepted that the 2 best games in modern history were the Maryland-NCState game (to get the ACC bid for the NCAA Tournament) and the Duke-Kentucky game.

Agreed, none of the games that I mentioned are quite in the league with these two; they stand pretty much head and shoulders above all the rest, of any era, although I might put
Carolina-Georgetown '82 as a close third. Having seen both of the above mentioned games, I concur with Len Elmore, who played in the first one and was the commentator for the other; State-Maryland '74 was the best game ever played. It was a 40 minute highlight reel. As memory serves, there were no turnovers in regulation. During the game, the refs even knew it; one was about to make a certain call, and the other turned to him and said "Not in this game!". If Laettner hadn't hit that shot to give it the perfect ending, the Duke Kentucky game would probably be remembered about like the other ones I mentioned since then, although maybe a little better (a lot better from Kentucky's point of view).

Faison1
12-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Agreed, none of the games that I mentioned are quite in the league with these two; they stand pretty much head and shoulders above all the rest, of any era, although I might put
Carolina-Georgetown '82 as a close third. Having seen both of the above mentioned games, I concur with Len Elmore, who played in the first one and was the commentator for the other; State-Maryland '74 was the best game ever played. It was a 40 minute highlight reel. As memory serves, there were no turnovers in regulation. During the game, the refs even knew it; one was about to make a certain call, and the other turned to him and said "Not in this game!". If Laettner hadn't hit that shot to give it the perfect ending, the Duke Kentucky game would probably be remembered about like the other ones I mentioned since then, although maybe a little better (a lot better from Kentucky's point of view).

Another factor in Duke's favor was the TV exposure. I bet most people didn't have access to the Maryland-NCState game in 1974.

BriantheBlogger
12-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Just so everyone knows this book is excellent, I just finished reading it last night and wow. It gave me chills, GW does an amazing job with help from nearly everyone involved in both programs.

Edouble
12-21-2011, 12:42 PM
It would be cool if there was a deluxe package that came with a DVD of the game. Like digitally remastered or whatever. My VHS version that I taped myself when I watched the game live 20 years ago is inaccessible.

BriantheBlogger
12-21-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm not a professional book reviewer but here is my take on the book for any who care to peruse. (http://dukeblogger.com/?p=1646)

pfrduke
12-21-2011, 05:19 PM

That seems almost impossible, given that the teams finished with 29 combined turnovers (not a high number, certainly, but more than could be amassed in overtime alone). One hallmark of a great game is that it needs no embellishment...

hq2
12-21-2011, 07:48 PM
"As memory serves" - only been 37 years. Can't remember every game that exactly. I'd remembered it being a low number, however.

basket1544
12-21-2011, 07:58 PM
I love the fact that vault.ncaa.com allows me to watch this game anywhere anytime, but even it has audio problems. http://vault.ncaa.com/?game=306SR346_s01

Olympic Fan
12-21-2011, 08:35 PM
The myth that there were no turnovers in the '74 State-Maryland game is persistent -- John Feinstein used to spout it.

Actually, the truth is that there were no VIOLATIONS -- no 10 second calls, no three-second calls (like there ever are), no palming, no traveling. There were turnovers -- bad passes and steals.

Maryland shot 60-plus percent ... and lost. Tommy Burleson scored 38 ... David Thompson had a pedestrian 23.

Maryland had the chance to win in regulation ... but mo Howard refused to pull the trigger on an open 10-footer and John Lucas ended up with a desperation heave. In OT, with State up 101-100, Lucas tried to throw a pass to Len Elmore, but his pass with a little high and Elmore thought it was for somebody else and pulled his hands down -- and the ball sailed out of bounds. Monte Towe hit two FTs to clinch it (in the days before the three-point shot).

I saw both games and I am a big Duke fan, but I still think State-Maryland was the greatest game ever played. Fairly equal stakes -- the Duke-Ky winner had a ticket to the Final Four, but I guarantee you that the winner of State-Maryland was going to go to the Final Four too, with a chance to play UCLA in Greensboro.

77devil
12-21-2011, 09:48 PM
I saw both games and I am a big Duke fan, but I still think State-Maryland was the greatest game ever played. Fairly equal stakes -- the Duke-Ky winner had a ticket to the Final Four, but I guarantee you that the winner of State-Maryland was going to go to the Final Four too, with a chance to play UCLA in Greensboro.

I saw them both too and have to agree that MD vs. State was the better game. Obviously the finish of Duke vs. Kentucky was phenomenal, and its significantly broader reach make it stand out in more people's memory. But from tip off to finish, the 1974 ACC final was better in my opinion.

brevity
12-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Just so everyone knows this book is excellent, I just finished reading it last night and wow. It gave me chills, GW does an amazing job with help from nearly everyone involved in both programs.

I'm on the fence about this book, and could use a push one way or the other. Does he talk about the BBQ issue at all?

FloorSlapper
01-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Mainly a lurker on here but didn't see a topic on this book yet so I thought I'd mention it for those who hadn't heard about it:

It's a new book out on the Duke/Kentucky game and was just released today:

The Last Great Game: Duke vs. Kentucky and the 2.1 Seconds That Changed Basketball by Gene Wojciechowski (http://www.amazon.com/Last-Great-Game-Kentucky-Basketball/dp/039915857X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IG3X65BKJ7Q7F&colid=H6FID2K66BDE)

EDIT: Sorry, search didn't originally turn up a topic on this, but just now saw the other one. Feel free to delete mods. Original thread here: http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?26905-Book-The-Last-Great-Game-Duke-vs.-Kentucky-(not-about-BBQ)/page2&highlight=wojciechowski

Mike Corey
01-06-2012, 05:27 PM
I've heard good things thus far.

I asked on Twitter if anyone had read it and got two responses.

One was from Duke Blue Planet, which said this: "Great book. Even the most diehard Duke fans will learn many new stories. Rotates each chapter from Duke then KY perspective."

The other, since deleted, was surprisingly from the author: "i loved it. then again, i wrote it. take care. gw"

Good stuff.

jv001
01-06-2012, 10:48 PM
I saw them both too and have to agree that MD vs. State was the better game. Obviously the finish of Duke vs. Kentucky was phenomenal, and its significantly broader reach make it stand out in more people's memory. But from tip off to finish, the 1974 ACC final was better in my opinion.

I watched the game, but I'm trying to remember if this was the game that DT took a hard fall and landed on his head. I actually thought he might have killed himself. He later returned with his head bandaged up. I don't believe this was the game but I'm not sure. I have to say the two games are a tie for best game. Only because I love Duke so much. GoDuke!

NashvilleDevil
01-06-2012, 10:57 PM
I've heard good things thus far.

I asked on Twitter if anyone had read it and got two responses.

One was from Duke Blue Planet, which said this: "Great book. Even the most diehard Duke fans will learn many new stories. Rotates each chapter from Duke then KY perspective."

The other, since deleted, was surprisingly from the author: "i loved it. then again, i wrote it. take care. gw"

Good stuff.

Got it yesterday finished it today. Great storytelling about both teams. The Laettner stuff cracked me up. His recap of the game gave me chills. Only issue I had with it was Jalen Rose and Jimmy King getting another platform to talk about their perception of Duke's players.

77devil
01-07-2012, 12:43 PM
I watched the game, but I'm trying to remember if this was the game that DT took a hard fall and landed on his head. I actually thought he might have killed himself. He later returned with his head bandaged up. I don't believe this was the game but I'm not sure. I have to say the two games are a tie for best game. Only because I love Duke so much. GoDuke!

It was the following season.

basket1544
01-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Finished the book last night. Awesome read. Transported me back to the beginning (book starts with how Coach K arrived at Duke) and got me in the mood to see more old games. I wish there was a DVD of the game with various audio options - would love to hear Cawood Ledford or Bob Harris' voices through the game.

NSDukeFan
01-10-2012, 09:21 AM
If you haven't read Gene's account of his time at Coach K camp, I would recommend it.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=5265474

burnspbesq
01-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Finished it earlier this morning. A very enjoyable read. I recommend it.

nmduke2001
01-12-2012, 12:16 AM
I read on amazon that Hurley didn't participate in the interview process and therefor he is not a big part of the book. Any truth to this?

Steven43
01-12-2012, 12:38 AM
The Laettner 'stomp' has been greatly exaggerated by Duke haters through the years. It didn't injure or even hurt the UK player in the slightest. It was more symbolic than anything else; Laettner's way of showing him and UK who was boss.

As far as great games goes, how about he Duke-Maryland game in the 2001 Final Four? Also, the Duke-UConn Final Four in 2004 was memorable. It would have been even more so if the referees had officiated the game properly. That is the most poorly officiated game I've ever seen. The numerous ticky-tack calls probably cost Duke a national championship. It still hurts.

burnspbesq
01-12-2012, 10:32 AM
It may be heresy to say this on a basketball website, but I honestly think that C.J. Costabile's national-championship-winning overtime goal has surpassed The Shot as the most exciting moment in Duke sports history.

House G
01-12-2012, 10:52 AM
It may be heresy to say this on a basketball website, but I honestly think that C.J. Costabile's national-championship-winning overtime goal has surpassed The Shot as the most exciting moment in Duke sports history.

Not for me.

Indoor66
01-12-2012, 01:08 PM

You are quite accurate. It is HERESY.

Double DD
01-12-2012, 01:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7433262/how-christian-laettner-got-duke

ESPN ran an excerpt from the book about Laettner's recruitment.

killerleft
01-12-2012, 03:47 PM

CJC's goal doesn't take a back seat to any big play in any sport, given the circumstances and history of Duke Lacrosse. Stunning is an overused word when describing sports moments, but it may not be strong enough for what happened in that quicky-quick overtime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcsF3KjmHj4

Ggallagher
01-12-2012, 04:54 PM
CJC's goal doesn't take a back seat to any big play in any sport, given the circumstances and history of Duke Lacrosse. Stunning is an overused word when describing sports moments, but it may not be strong enough for what happened in that quicky-quick overtime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcsF3KjmHj4

I've got to agree with this sentiment. Stunning AND unexpected don't begin to describe how wonderful those few seconds were in that lacrosse match. But since "The Shot" had nearly thirty-nine minutes and fifty-seven seconds of continuous excellence and tension preceeding it, I'm not sure how it will ever be surpassed for excitement value.

westwall
01-12-2012, 06:19 PM
According to a blurb Gene Wojo will be there at 7 pm on the 13th, tomorrow.

BlueDevilBaby
01-12-2012, 06:44 PM
I've got to agree with this sentiment. Stunning AND unexpected don't begin to describe how wonderful those few seconds were in that lacrosse match. But since "The Shot" had nearly thirty-nine minutes and fifty-seven seconds of continuous excellence and tension preceeding it, I'm not sure how it will ever be surpassed for excitement value.

I was in tears of misery before THE SHOT. Not the same emotion with the lacrosse goal at all. THE SHOT snatched victory from the jaws of defeat - in the lacrosse game a miss would have meant play on with maybe another chance to score. The two are not even close, IMO.

basket1544
01-12-2012, 07:49 PM
I read on amazon that Hurley didn't participate in the interview process and therefor he is not a big part of the book. Any truth to this?

I don't think that's true because he says in the acknowledgements portion that Bobby sat and watched the whole game with him "providing play-by-play analysis" and showed him around the house and he interviewed both Bob Sr and Dan Hurley for the book. Bobby is quoted throughout the book.

killerleft
01-12-2012, 08:04 PM
I was in tears of misery before THE SHOT. Not the same emotion with the lacrosse goal at all. THE SHOT snatched victory from the jaws of defeat - in the lacrosse game a miss would have meant play on with maybe another chance to score. The two are not even close, IMO.

You didn't believe... it's a wonder Tinker Bell exists at all:).

WiJoe
01-12-2012, 08:13 PM

Honestly, think again. No way. Not even top 2. You're talking about a niche sport vs. the best collegiate tournament there is. Hurley's 3 against Vegas in national semifinals is second in my book, and even Coach K says Hurley's shot is bigger than Laettner's.

Costabile's goal was mighty sweet, though.

SoCalDukeFan
01-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Enjoyed in immensely.

I would suggest that you start it on the morning of a day when you have little else to do as you will probably sit there until you finish it.

I think the book is more Duke than Ky, but still plenty of Ky.

I am a little confused as to why Bobby Hurley picked Duke over UNC. I thought that UNC got scratched by his Dad because Dean Smith would not stop recruiting Kenny Anderson. Book has it more like it was Bobby's decision completely and that he just really liked Coach K.

I do have some issues with the Kindle version. No page numbers and heights are 611 for 6' 11".

Now I need to watch my old vhs tape of the game.

BTW the lacrosse goal was great and historic and nothing should be taken away from it. However basketball is such a bigger stage then the shot overwhelms the goal, IMHO.

SoCal

Bigdukeboi22
01-16-2012, 09:21 PM
I just finished reading The Last Great Game by Gene Wojciechowski. This book, along with Blue Blood is one of the best books I have read about Duke. I was not alive during the game(yes I am only 18), but my dad who always told me his story about how he jumped out of his couch and screamed so loud the neighbors could hear after Laettner hit that shot, would always tell me about the game. I have watched and seen that shot a 1000 times, especially during March Madness on CBS. I never truly knew what that game meant or the story behind it. I thought I knew a lot about that game, but after reading this book it turns out I knew little about the game. Gene tells everyone the story behind that and more. I truly recommend this book to every Duke fan or any fan in general out there. I read this book in one day because I couldn't stop reading it. This is a truly remarkable book and I hope whoever reads this reads it as well.

Bigdukeboi22
01-16-2012, 09:22 PM
wupps...didnt know that there was already a thread about this..my bad!!

dynastydefender
01-17-2012, 01:09 PM
If it were not for Coach K's empathetic gesture towards the Kentucky Faithful immediately after the game then I would have a deep seated hatred for the Duke Program. I literally compare the emotion of watching "the shot" to the same horror I felt on 911. If it were not for the class of Coach K, I don't think I would be a part of this message board. However I have to say...I read an excerpt of the book and it it appears well written and well researched. I can't wait to read it. Now go Dukies and beat the Tar Holes. UK did it (again) now it's your turn!

dynastydefender
01-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Anyone else besides me think that the book or at least the story behind it leading up to the game would make a great movie?

Billy Dat
02-17-2012, 09:59 AM
I just whipped through this book this week, if you've got the time, you could easily get absorbed and finish it in one sitting - and it's 300 pages.

If you've consumed a lot of Duke K-era history, there is a lot of necessary repetition - I'd say i knew 50% of the Duke material, but the stuff I didn't know made this well worth it, namely:

-This book is probably the definitive history of the Christian Laettner era. He is the star of the book, by far, and you get an incredibly detailed and nuanced portrait of his role as the fiery leader of the team. As we know, he did not lead with praise and comfort - he was a royal PITA and, basically, a word most commonly used to describe the male lower anatomy. However, in many ways, he seems to be the guy who loved Duke and the basketball program more than anyone else who ever played for K. The book should be required reading for anyone who wants a real deep look inside #32.

-It was really interesting to see how Laettner's provocative antics worked on different players. Hurley was his main whipping boy, for lots of reasons, but, after a while, mostly because it always got a reaction. Grant Hill and the Chief, on the other hand, kind of shrugged him off - which seems like it was the best way to handle the relentless abuse and tests of will.

-There is great Brian Davis material in here. His back story is really compelling, and his commentary about the Fab Five, Kentucky, and just about everything is fantastic. He has A LOT to say. Was he this good of a quote when he was a player? Maybe there were too many mics in front of the other players.

-The Kentucky stuff is great. I only knew the surface details of the probation and aftermath and the book does a great job of talking about that era, and you also learn a lot about Pitino, also really good stuff.

-The last chapter of the book involves Wojciechowski watching the overtime of the game with K, in ~2010, and K's commentary, complete with profanity in nearly every sentence, is classic.