PDA

View Full Version : ACC to play 18 conference games starting in 2012-13

arydolphin
12-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Press release from the ACC: http://www.theacc.com/genrel/121511aaa.html

Currently, men's teams play 16 conference games and women's teams play 14. This change will affect the men and women, and will go through even if Syracuse and Pittsburgh do not join the conference next year.

Duvall
12-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Be interesting to see how Duke adjusts its schedule to offset the strength-of-schedule hit they'll take by playing more conference games.

CameronBornAndBred
12-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Be interesting to see how Duke adjusts its schedule to offset the strength-of-schedule hit they'll take by playing more conference games.
This will be fun, at least for two years. Pitt and Syracuse won't be joining until 2014, unless the Big East has a change of heart soon.

The conference has held firm that those schools must wait until 2014 to leave, however West Virginia has filed a lawsuit seeking an immediate move to the Big 12.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/12/big-east-expansion-boise-state-san-diego-state-houston-smu-central-florida/1

Kedsy
12-15-2011, 04:19 PM
I was hoping for 19, once Pitt and Syracuse join.

SCMatt33
12-15-2011, 04:59 PM
I was hoping for 19, once Pitt and Syracuse join.

Don't think that schools would have been too happy with uneven home and away games.

On another note, I will be interested to see how the schedule rotates from year to year.

msdukie
12-15-2011, 05:50 PM
The women went back to 16 games this year.

Press release from the ACC: http://www.theacc.com/genrel/121511aaa.html

Currently, men's teams play 16 conference games and women's teams play 14. This change will affect the men and women, and will go through even if Syracuse and Pittsburgh do not join the conference next year.

Kedsy
12-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Don't think that schools would have been too happy with uneven home and away games.

Someone on DBR had a great solution for that -- have a tipoff event where all teams play their first game of the league season at a neutral site. Much better than not playing someone at all that year, or than playing one divisional foe once and all the others twice.

If they don't have divisions, I guess an 18 game schedule would work, but the league might be so big as to be unwieldy.

dcdevil2009
12-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Am I the only one who really misses the balanced, home-and-home schedule from the before the expansion to 12 teams? It's obviously impossible to do a home-and-home for the whole conference with 22 or 26 games, which would create a 45-50 game college season, but as a fan who wouldn't be excited for it?

MarkD83
12-15-2011, 07:20 PM
I actually miss the Big Four tournament where Duke, UNC, NCSU and Wake would play each other at the start of the season and someone went home with two wins and someone went home with two losses and none of the games counted as league games.

throatybeard
12-15-2011, 08:25 PM
I actually miss the Big Four tournament where Duke, UNC, NCSU and Wake would play each other at the start of the season and someone went home with two wins and someone went home with two losses and none of the games counted as league games.

Given how dedicated college basketball is to overexposure, you'd think this idea would have come back in the last thirty years.

ricks68
12-15-2011, 08:39 PM
If I remember correctly, in the late 60's we used to play an extra game with Wake (that didn't count in the conference standings) prior to the opening of the home-and-home schedule . Is that right?

ricks

msdukie
12-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Am I the only one who really misses the balanced, home-and-home schedule from the before the expansion to 12 teams?

NO!!!!

Kimist
12-15-2011, 10:40 PM

I remember those events.

IIRC, one year Duke had an unknown freshman, by the name of Gminski, who played pretty well that weekend!

k

hurleyfor3
12-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Am I the only one who really misses the balanced, home-and-home schedule from the before the expansion to 12 teams?

No, along with missing 85¢/gallon gas, going through airport security in under two minutes and Monday night kegs at Duke.

Olympic Fan
12-15-2011, 11:35 PM
If I remember correctly, in the late 60's we used to play an extra game with Wake (that didn't count in the conference standings) prior to the opening of the home-and-home schedule . Is that right?

ricks

You have a good memory. Duke and Wake scheduled an extra game -- a non-conference encounter in Greensboro -- for seveal years starting in 1961-62. The idea was to make up some of the revenue lost when the Dixie Classic was cancelled. In that era before TV contracts, the Dixiie Classic was a big source of income for the Big Four schools. It died because the UNC system made UNC and NC State cut back their schedules due to point shaving. Duke and Wake, the two private schools in the Big Four, were left out in the cold (even though neither was connected to the point shaving scandal). They got together to recoup some of their losses. It was only one game, but the proceeds only had to be split two ways (and because the Greensboro Coliseum authority was scrambling to find events for their the facility, they got a good deal on the rental).

The first game was played Dec. 30, 1961. Duke edged the Wake team that would play in the Final Four, 75-73.

The next year, Duke's first Final Four team would rout Wake Forest 113-87 in the extra Greensboro game on Dec. 29. Duke would beat the Deacs three more times that season, including the ACC Tournament championship game.

They skipped 1963-64, but resumed the extra game the next year with Duke winning 91-86 on Jan. 2 1965. Duke would again beat Wake four times that season, including the ACC Tournament semifinals.

A year later. Duke's Final Four team was ranked No. 1 when they beat Wake Jan. 1, 1966 in Greensboro (92-76). It was part of a four-team round-robin -- Duke played Notre Dame the night before in Greensboro, winning 95-73.

They did the same thing the next year, losing to Ohio State in Greensboro on Dec. 29, 1966, but beating Wake 78-73 on Dec. 30.

A year later, it was back to a one-game deal with Duke beating Wake 103-76 on Dec. 30., 1967.

They moved it ip before Christmas the next year and Wake finally won, beating Duke 106-78 on Dec. 20, 1968.

The last game in the extra series was played Dec. 23. 1969 in Greensboro with Duke beating Wake 98-90. That was Bucky's first Duke team. Interesting that the 69-70 Devils beat Wake three straight times that season, but lost to the Deacs in the ACC Tournament opener.

The next year,the Big Four Tournament started and that would fill the void for the next decade.

During the nine years between the death of the Dixie Classic and the birth of the Big Four Tournament, Duke and Wake played eight non-conference games in Greensboro with Duke winning seven.

cspan37421
12-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Am I the only one who really misses the balanced, home-and-home schedule from the before the expansion to 12 teams? It's obviously impossible to do a home-and-home for the whole conference with 22 or 26 games, which would create a 45-50 game college season, but as a fan who wouldn't be excited for it?

a) I miss the home and home too. With 8 teams (14 conf. games). [And get off my lawn.]
b) I would not be excited for a 45-50 game college season. One of the reasons I like NCAA hoops better than NBA is that each game means more ... on average, 2-3 times more. More is at stake. Same reason I did not care to go from 64 to 68 teams (and on up) in the NCAAT. Pretty soon the regular season is meaningless for any team .500 or better.

Jarhead
12-16-2011, 03:57 PM
It seems that this is a done deal, and we haven't a chance for a home and home schedule with everybody. OTOH, two divisions of 8 teams each playing a home and home would work out fine. In the regular season, each team in a division would play 14 home and home games with the rest of their division plus one home and home from the other division giving us 16 games. Add in the 7 single games with the rest of the other division for a total of 23 games. If we match our current 31 regular season schedule that gives us 8 non-conference games. This year's schedule has 12 non-conference matches including the trip to Maui. If we want to continue with that number of no-conference games then we play 35 games. I'd rather cut out some of the powder puff games and play 31 in total in the regular season. It is doable. It would be slightly more doable if the conference does not go to 16 teams.

The only real problem I see is the placing of teams in divisions. That's where all of the emotional problems would show up. If we let that bother us, we're done. We have to go back to square one.

hq2
12-16-2011, 04:44 PM
I miss the home and home too. With 8 teams (14 conf. games)

Likewise. Too many mediocre teams, too spread out, and not enough home and home rivalries.
Used to be, you looked forward to the conference season as the big test. Not any more. Now,
it's gotten to the point where you just forget about most of the conference games against a
bunch of stiffs (Carolina obviously excepted) and look forward to the non-conference ones
against the good teams. Folks, ACC BASKETBALL no longer exists. It's just another conference
called the ACC where they play basketball.

77devil
12-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Given how dedicated college basketball is to overexposure, you'd think this idea would have come back in the last thirty years.

Fair enough and probably better left in the past, but having attended a couple when Duke was on the rebound, it was quite the spectacle and really loud. Now the league could just assign two losses to Wake and save the Deacons the bus trips. There's no point without some parity.