PDA

View Full Version : the rankings

Olympic Fan
12-15-2011, 01:31 AM
I know it's early, but since Jeff Sagarin just announced that his numbers are now connected (and therefore meaningful), I thought it was worth looking at the three major computer rankings.

Sagarin has Duke at No. 6 ... Pomeroy has Duke at No. 9.

But what's really interesting is that in RPI -- which is probably the least accurate, but most important of the computer rankings (because the selection committee has traditionally given it more weight) -- has Duke at No. 1 at the moment:

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

Duke's SOS is currently No. 4 nationally.

Frankly, I don't think the next three games will help Duke's SOS. And with the ACC down again this year, I doubt that Duke remains No. 1 once conference play begins.

Still, it says something about the quality of Duke's 9-1 start.

Jderf
12-15-2011, 07:41 AM
I know it's early, but since Jeff Sagarin just announced that his numbers are now connected (and therefore meaningful), I thought it was worth looking at the three major computer rankings.

Is it really that time of year? Finally. Because we all look forward to this special season: There's a brisk chill in the air, decorations in every storefront, that universal cheer on everyone's face, and of course, most importantly, a DBR thread on the dork polls.

Reilly
12-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Is it really that time of year? ... a DBR thread on the dork polls.

Has anybody else noticed "dork poll creep" the last couple of years? It used to be, fans would turn to them in mid-February, when thinking about tourney seeding. Now, bowl season's not finished (heck, not even started), and the spreadsheets are whirring ....

77devil
12-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Has anybody else noticed "dork poll creep" the last couple of years? It used to be, fans would turn to them in mid-February, when thinking about tourney seeding. Now, bowl season's not finished (heck, not even started), and the spreadsheets are whirring ....

Yes, but I suspect Ken Pomeroy will have to wait until bracket number crunching time in March to see a significant spike up in subscriptions. I haven't put down the $20, but will have to come to grips with that choice at some point.

airowe
12-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Yes, but I suspect Ken Pomeroy will have to wait until bracket number crunching time in March to see a significant spike up in subscriptions. I haven't put down the $20, but will have to come to grips with that choice at some point.

Statsheet.com has almost as much information (and more depending on what yours looking for) for free.

Bob Green
12-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Duke's SOS is currently No. 4 nationally.

Frankly, I don't think the next three games will help Duke's SOS. And with the ACC down again this year, I doubt that Duke remains No. 1 once conference play begins.

Still, it says something about the quality of Duke's 9-1 start.

And it speaks volumes re the level of discontent from some DBR Posters! Thanks for starting this thread (hey, the dork polls are important) and pointing out how, once again, we have a very talented team to cheer on this season. It's great to be us.