PDA

View Full Version : Dukies in the NBA 2012

Pages : 1 [2]

hq2
02-02-2012, 11:25 AM
You can follow Shelden here:

http://www.sheldenwilliams.com

The last two or three years, he's finally started to be about what I had expected all along; a solid, no nonsense NBA power
forward who rebounds well, plays good D, and is a good team player, giving you 5-10 points and boards per game. A lot of
people wrote him off a few years ago, but now he's playing up to his potential.

CameronBornAndBred
02-02-2012, 11:34 AM
And a 4th Williams (Jordan) got 21 points off the bench! That's gotta be some kinda record for having that many players on the roster with the same name.
(And Jordan Williams is one of two Jordans)
Grrrr...21 minutes not points. (He had 9 of those.)

I noticed that both Duhon and Redick started last night, thought that pretty cool to have two Dukies in the starting five. They both had about 30 minutes.

doctorhook
02-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Kyrie with another game deciding shot tonight against Dallas. Stat line 9/17 7 assists 1 to 4 reb 3 steals. Amazing.

1 24 90
02-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Kyrie with another game winner tonight against Dallas. Stat line 9/17 7 assists 1 to 4 reb 3 steals. Amazing.

I just saw that highlight and heard the NBATV guys raving about Kyrie and it still makes me sad that we weren't able to experience a full year of Kyrie. One of the biggest disappointments of my 22 years of Duke fandom.

toooskies
02-04-2012, 10:59 PM
It's not only the offensive stats or game-winning shots. He's started containing the opposing team on D and is cutting down his turnovers, too (3/1 A/TO ratio the past 5 games).

Billy Dat
02-05-2012, 07:11 AM
It's not only the offensive stats or game-winning shots. He's started containing the opposing team on D and is cutting down his turnovers, too (3/1 A/TO ratio the past 5 games).

Kyrie is making the game look as easy as he did when he stepped on the court at Duke...remarkable!

hq2
02-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Yeah, that's what so amazing about him; he's so good he makes it look easy. Everything done with effortless efficiency.
An incredible talent.

moonpie23
02-05-2012, 11:11 AM
wow....just watched the clips.....man, that is incredible.....and these are nba players he's cutting through...

impressive....

sagegrouse
02-05-2012, 11:35 AM
wow....just watched the clips.....man, that is incredible.....and these are nba players he's cutting through...

impressive....

It was unfair to expect Austin Rivers to be as good a freshman as Kyrie. Austin is one of the best freshmen to play at Duke, but he didn't take over a game from his first moment on the court.

sagegrouse
'And BTW, why exactly was it that Kyrie was supposed to play second fiddle to Harrison Barnes?'

Indoor66
02-05-2012, 12:18 PM
sagegrouse
'And BTW, why exactly was it that Kyrie was supposed to play second fiddle to Harrison Barnes?'

Cause that was the script the pundits wrote. Come-on they can't be wrong or change their meme.

moonpie23
02-05-2012, 01:17 PM
i don't think HWNSNBM would be challenging for ROY had he gone to the league....

just my humble opinion...

newBlue23
02-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Lance Thomas gets another shot at the NBA. Hopefully he will be able to make the most of it and get picked up for more than 10 days.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7543664/with-carl-landry-injured-new-orleans-hornets-sign-lance-thomas

grad_devil
02-17-2012, 08:19 AM
"Devils in the NBA" is finally back up and running!

http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats.html

After weeks (months?) of waiting, the new ISP at work finally fixed the necessary firewall rule (had to remove one character...and it took weeks! Smh..) to allow the site to be public again.

This site is updated every morning and has the stats for all of the Dukies that played the previous night.

Last night, both Carlos and Deng had double-doubles - 'Los with 23/15 boards and Deng with 23/10 assists.Even Shelden got quite a bit of run, playing 33 minutes, with 8pts/9rbs.

--grad_devil

theAlaskanBear
02-17-2012, 08:23 AM

After weeks (months?) of waiting, the new ISP at work finally fixed the necessary firewall rule (had to remove one character...and it took weeks! Smh..) to allow the site to be public again.

This site is updated every morning and has the stats for all of the Dukies that played the previous night.

Last night, both Carlos and Deng had double-doubles - 'Los with 23/15 boards and Deng with 23/10 assists.Even Shelden got quite a bit of run, playing 33 minutes, with 8pts/9rbs.

--grad_devil

Awesome, I have really missed that!!

hq2
02-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Good to see Shelden starting again (for the Nets, for what that's worth!). He's giving 'em quality minutes; note the 3 blocked shots in addition to
9 boards. That's the Shelden we remember!

yancem
02-17-2012, 10:14 AM

--grad_devil

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I was bummed when it wasn't working earlier in the season but didn't want to bug you about it (like I have in past years). Of course it cut down on my goofing off time at work which I'm not sure is a good thing or a bad thing. Again THANK YOU!

sagegrouse
02-17-2012, 10:23 AM
23 and 15 last night. He doesn't get many accolades these days, but Carlos is a heckuva NBA player.

Also, all-star Luol confirmed his status -- also with 23 points but six were from 3-pt. territory.

sagegrouse

moonpie23
02-17-2012, 10:34 AM
thanks !!! love that link!!

mpholt
02-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Interview with Irving from a Cleveland radio station....

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2012/02/17/cavs-rookie-superstar-kyrie-irving-on-baskin-phelps/

weezie
02-17-2012, 08:42 PM
23 and 15 last night. He doesn't get many accolades these days, but Carlos is a heckuva NBA player.

Boozer took so much grief from the cle fans, all for the novel idea of wanting to get paid.
One of my favorite Devils, who really has worked hard all his life.

Greg_Newton
02-17-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm sorry, I love Corey, but this is just hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxhJvgKNUCI

Billy Dat
02-18-2012, 12:19 AM
I wasn't happy to see the Knicks winning streak snapped by the Hornets, but it was nice to see Lance playing in a regular season NBA game...even if he picked up 4 fouls in 8 minutes.

pamtar
02-19-2012, 03:46 PM
JJ getting the start today against the Heat. Anybody know if it's due to injury or performance? He's guarding Wade so hope he brought his good shoes...

Just hit a three for the Magic's first points. Check that, 2 for 2 with 5 pts!

1 24 90
02-19-2012, 05:15 PM
JJ getting the start today against the Heat. Anybody know if it's due to injury or performance? He's guarding Wade so hope he brought his good shoes...

Just hit a three for the Magic's first points. Check that, 2 for 2 with 5 pts!

I think they said Richardson had a thigh issue or something.

Meanwhile, JJ just hit his 5th 3 in 6 attempts and has 17 of the Magic's 50 points. Awesome.

doctorhook
02-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Kyrie hits game winning free throws with 0.4 seconds to go to beat Sacramento.

JNort
02-20-2012, 01:43 AM
Kyrie hits game winning free throws with 0.4 seconds to go to beat Sacramento.

1 assist in 39 mins though.. I didn't watch so I am not sure if he was passing and they just were missing or what. Either way I am sure they would like to see that much higher.

hq2
02-20-2012, 09:34 AM
In the last two games Shelden had 15 and 14 rebounds in an average of 31 minutes, the 15 against
old teammate Luol and Boozer. The Landlord collecting the rent!

94duke
02-21-2012, 12:46 PM
Lance had 5 points and 8 rebounds in 20 minutes!
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=320220025

DukieInBrasil
02-21-2012, 01:03 PM
In the last two games Shelden had 15 and 14 rebounds in an average of 31 minutes, the 15 against
old teammate Luol and Boozer. The Landlord collecting the rent!

Shelden has been putting up very good numbers since being inserted into the starting lineup in NJ. He's still not much of a scorer, but his rebounding is very solid. He's gotten quite a bit of flack as a "bust" for being such a high-pick 1st rounder, but he's hung around the league due to his toughness and health, and could continue playing for several more years. If only he could develop a reliable jumper....

hq2
02-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Shelden has been putting up very good numbers since being inserted into the starting lineup in NJ. He's still not much of a scorer, but his rebounding is very solid. He's gotten quite a bit of flack as a "bust" for being such a high-pick 1st rounder, but he's hung around the league due to his toughness and health, and could continue playing for several more years. If only he could develop a reliable jumper....

Yup. Here are his stats for the last 3 games. 4 for 19 from the field, and......39 rebounds! Huh?

sagegrouse
02-22-2012, 12:04 AM
Kyrie scored 17 points in the 4th Q to lead the Cavs from 17 points back against the Pistons, 102-101. Quite a stat-sheet stuffer night: 25 points, five RBs, 8 assists, two steals and two blocks. Also, six turnovers.

sagegrouse

moonpie23
02-22-2012, 12:09 AM
nolan getting some burn in the blowout against the spurs (three spurs stars out)

man, i just don't see why he's not getting more minutes......silky smooth

jimsumner
02-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Yup. Here are his stats for the last 3 games. 4 for 19 from the field, and......39 rebounds! Huh?

Darn near Rodmanesqe.

hq2
02-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Almost said that myself!

JNort
02-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Kyrie Irving got 34 points and 8 assists. They are about to announce MVP and if it is anybody but KI I will be shocked. This game like all the others has ZERO defense but it is still fun to see him tear it up that much.

JNort
02-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Yup Kyrie Irving! 34 points and 9 assists (My bad earlier when I said 8) he also went 8-8 from 3!!!! Hopefully he will add Rookie of the Year to his awards list.

http://www.nba.com/games/20120224/SHQCHK/gameinfo.html

Son of Jarhead
02-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Yup Kyrie Irving! 34 points and 9 assists (My bad earlier when I said 8) he also went 8-8 from 3!!!! Hopefully he will add Rookie of the Year to his awards list.

http://www.nba.com/games/20120224/SHQCHK/gameinfo.html

Forget the "rising" part... Kyrie is a Star. So glad he is one of ours.:cool:

JNort
02-24-2012, 11:19 PM
The 34 points is a rookie record in this game (previously 33 by Lebron James)!

Also at the halftime interview. Craig Sager told Kyrie that Kenny Smith refused to say what school Kyrie was from.

Kyrie responded "Never heard of him. Who's he?" and then when he left he made sure he cheesed to the camera to make sure everyone knew he was joking.

So glad this guy chose Duke...great representative for our school.

UrinalCake
02-25-2012, 12:38 AM
I guess Team Chuck lives by the three :)

JNort
02-25-2012, 01:31 AM
Forget the "rising" part... Kyrie is a Star. So glad he is one of ours.:cool:

He is right there at it anyway! Maybe the Cavs as much as I despise the entire organization can become a team I cheer for. Maybe they draft Austin this year in the first and get Mason in the 2nd??? That would be if they both left this year and if Mason dropped that far.

JNort
02-25-2012, 01:33 AM
I guess Team Chuck lives by the three :)

Lol I get what you are saying but it was kind of the EXACT opposite.

Team Chuck: 11 for 20 from 3

Team Shaq: 12 for 41 from 3

Team Shaq died by the 3 tonight..

devildeac
02-26-2012, 07:10 PM
nolan getting some burn in the blowout against the spurs (three spurs stars out)

man, i just don't see why he's not getting more minutes......silky smooth

HA! I don't spend much time at all on this thread but just got off the phone with my brother who lives in the 'burbs of Portland and has become a bit of a Jail, err, Trail Blazers fan. Sadly he did not have too much to report about Nolan but couldn't resist a nice smackdown on Raymond Felton who he said was really "stinking it up out here" and would love to see Nolan get some burn:D.

Eternal Outlaw
02-26-2012, 07:38 PM
HA! I don't spend much time at all on this thread but just got off the phone with my brother who lives in the 'burbs of Portland and has become a bit of a Jail, err, Trail Blazers fan. Sadly he did not have too much to report about Nolan but couldn't resist a nice smackdown on Raymond Felton who he said was really "stinking it up out here" and would love to see Nolan get some burn:D.

I listen to talk radio here in Portland and every caller is begging for Nolan to get some burn. Most people are fed up with McMillan's lack of playing time for young guys. If it was up to the fans, Nolan would be getting a chance to see what he can deliver.

UrinalCake
02-26-2012, 09:08 PM
That's awesome; he has a great personality and it's not surprising he's become popular with the fans, even if it is only by default. As this grueling season wears on I hope he does get some more floor time.

g-money
02-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Kyrie and the Cavs with a big game coming up tonight against Jeremy Lin and the Knicks. I'll be heading to a sports bar in Palo Alto to root for Kyrie. Should be fun to stir the pot a little bit. (Although I have enjoyed the Linsanity around here so far!)

Swardy
02-29-2012, 06:27 PM
A buddy of mine has a site that is doing a NBA players by college tournament and this round has Duke vs UNC. Its obvious we are better but the fan vote throws it off.
http://www.prepforce.com/home/front-page/prep-force-challenge-north-carolina-vs-duke/

Son of Mojo
02-29-2012, 06:41 PM
A buddy of mine has a site that is doing a NBA players by college tournament and this round has Duke vs UNC. Its obvious we are better but the fan vote throws it off.
http://www.prepforce.com/home/front-page/prep-force-challenge-north-carolina-vs-duke/

I've done my part to help with the voting.........:cool:

Gewebe14
02-29-2012, 06:54 PM
This doesn't even include Henderson - who might start over Redick? Certainly either one would dominate Vince "bc" Carter

zoroaster
03-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Writeup on the Knicks - Cavaliers game (aka Jeremy Lin and Kyrie show) Wednesday night:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-knicks-jeremy-lin-cavs-kyrie-irving-put-point-guard-show-magic-johnson-madison-square-garden-article-1.1031132?localLinksEnabled=false

theAlaskanBear
03-02-2012, 09:22 PM
I haven't been able to follow and update as I would like, but....

Tonight Boozer, Deng and the Bulls take on Kyrie and the Cavs. Bulls up big in the 3rd quarter. Kyrie did not dress due to illness. Deng is having a huge game with 21pts in 24 minutes and Boozer has 13pts in 20 minutes.

A lot of Dukies see action tonight: Shelden and the Nets, Dunleavy and the Bucks, Brand and Philly, Lance and the Hornets, Maggette and Gerald and the Cats, Battier and Miami, Hill and the Suns, McRoberts and the Lakers. It will be cool to see the stats for everyone tomorrow!

Also, this is veering Off Topic a little: but LeBron had an incredible performance last night against Portland:

38 points on just 22 shots, 11rebs, 6ast, 5stl, 1blk, and not a single turnover.
Dude started at Center defensively and played PF offensively. And guarded every single position during the course of the game. Unreal. The game before he had 36points on 23 shots, including 6-8 from 3. On the season he is .549 from the field and .431 from three.

UrinalCake
03-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Check out Shelden's line from tonight: 20 min, 4-4 FG, 2-2 FT, 10 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block. He did pick up 5 fouls, and it was against the Bobcats, but still, pretty solid night for him.

hq2
03-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Check out Shelden's line from tonight: 20 min, 4-4 FG, 2-2 FT, 10 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block. He did pick up 5 fouls, and it was against the Bobcats, but still, pretty solid night for him.

His rebounding numbers in other recent games have been better, although scoring has been lower. Right now, he
isn't starting, but might again soon.

Jderf
03-05-2012, 02:35 PM
38 points on just 22 shots

Meh. I guess that's impressive. I'll give him more credit when he scores 40 on just 13 shots. ;)

juise
03-06-2012, 04:10 PM
I had the pleasure (or displeasure, depending on whether you think this NBA season is watchable) of taking in Blazers/Hornets last night. Nolan had recorded DNP's in the last few Blazer games, so I was hoping that his spirits would not be crushed. Man, I have missed Nolan. He is the consummate teammate. He was always the first off the bench to greet the players on the court and he seems to have good relationships with many of the veterans... including individually choreographed pre-game handshakes with several of them. He was just as fun-loving as he appeared in the Duke Blue Planet videos. As someone who sees little more of the NBA than box scores, it was a great sight to see.

Nolan only made it into the game at the end when Portland had a big lead and he looked a little gimpy/stiff. He ran the point, had a foul and got a shot blocked after driving into traffic. The Blazers did not close the game well (Nolan's +/- was -9 in 3 minutes).

Lance got 12 second half minutes (mid third quarter to mid fourth quarter). He was in a real physical battle with Gerald Wallace and didn't back down (though he picked up 3 non-shooting fouls in the process). He made a nice running J after his man overplayed and missed a steal. He also had a dunk after his man left him to help someone else. His other shot was blocked. He battled hard, but seemed a little undersized in the post to get many rebounds in the game. It was also great to see him in action. I got a little shout-out from him when he saw my Duke when he was doing halftime warm-ups..

mr. synellinden
03-08-2012, 11:42 AM
With Brook Lopez hurt, Shelden is now starting for the Nets and had 15 and 10 last night as NJ beat the Clippers.

Also, Kyrie hit another game winner last night - and it was on another drive to the basket and difficult finish with 4 seconds left. According to reports, he took over the game late in the 4th quarter.

Also, Lance got 27 minutes last night and had 8 points and 4 rebounds, but NO lost by a point to the Kings. It's still hard to believe that Lance is playing meaningful minutes in the NBA while Nolan rarely gets off the bench and Kyle is still playing overseas. I'm happy for Lance -it's just surprising. Although I do recall Coach K predicting late in the 2010 season that Lance would make the NBA.

CameronBornAndBred
03-08-2012, 12:13 PM
With Brook Lopez hurt, Shelden is now starting for the Nets and had 15 and 10 last night as NJ beat the Clippers.
41 minutes of PT. I'm not sure he had many games at Duke that he never sat down.

MChambers
03-08-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm happy for Lance -it's just surprising. Although I do recall Coach K predicting late in the 2010 season that Lance would make the NBA.

Paging Wheat! Although to be fair, I'm quite pleasantly surprised to see Lance in the NBA.

Billy Dat
03-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Paging Wheat! Although to be fair, I'm quite pleasantly surprised to see Lance in the NBA.

Lance has done it the hard way - made his bones in the DLeague and got a little shine by playing in the Pam Am Games with other US-based DLeaguers. Talent and physical stature aside, it takes a huge fire in the belly to stick it out and try to make the NBA instead of heading overseas. But, I've seen some articles that suggest that with the lockout driving many borderline NBAers overseas for the guaranteed paychck and crazy amount of injuries this year, it's the easiest year, in years, to make an NBA roster. "Easy" is a relative term as being one of only 450 humans to claim NBA player status is still one of the most exclusive clubs around - but I am glad that Lance has made the most of his chance. I have seen him play a few times and he clearly belongs. What do you think he does out there? Get DIRTY - tough boards, tough D, hard fouls, hard screens - kind of like 2010.

Billy Dat
03-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Also, Kyrie hit another game winner last night - and it was on another drive to the basket and difficult finish with 4 seconds left. According to reports, he took over the game late in the 4th quarter.

He scored 10 in the final 2:30 in what was kind of an epic mano-a-mano with none other than Ty Lawson who had a few big buckets of his own. After Kyrie hit the go ahead with 4 seconds, Lawson drove with Kyrie defending and just missed a well defended lay-up. I'd love to bill it as a Duke v UNC showdown but one of the first people to hug Kyrie as the game ended was Antawn Jameson. It is really tragic that Kyrie never got to play in a UNC game - specifically Game 2 last year in the Dome.

hq2
03-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Lance got 27 minutes in a non-blowout game? Wow!

Billy Dat
03-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Paul (Cleveland)
How about that Kyrie Irving? What do you think his ceiling is?

John Hollinger - ESPN
Heck of a player, reminds me of a bigger CP in some ways with how under control he is all the time and his technical skill. Wouldn't shock me if he's the league's best PG in five years.

MChambers
03-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Paul (Cleveland)

John Hollinger - ESPN
Heck of a player, reminds me of a bigger CP in some ways with how under control he is all the time and his technical skill. Wouldn't shock me if he's the league's best PG in five years.

Seems unduly critical to me. How about three years? ;)

COYS
03-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Paul (Cleveland)

John Hollinger - ESPN

This is high praise from Hollinger who once said that Chris Paul was one of the very best players in NBA history under 6-4 (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=CP3-071218&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dholling er_john%26page%3dCP3-071218). (behind insider wall, unfortunately). Chris Paul's injuries may have prevented him from challenging Kobe, Lebron and Durant for best in the world, but he's still been incredible. For Kyrie to have almost matched Paul's rookie season is significant. I certainly hope and believe that Hollinger is right and Kyrie will be the cream of the crop in a few years.

hq2
03-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Kyrie will be the cream of the crop in a few years.

Think we'll have to wait that long?

Greg_Newton
03-10-2012, 12:50 AM
LANCE!

Led the Hornets in scoring tonight with 18 (12-14 FTs), tied for the team lead in rebounds (5), and was second in minutes played (30).

So crazy. So great for him though.

Billy Dat
03-10-2012, 12:58 AM
After the VT game, I watched the rest of Knicks v Bucks. The Knicks lost (ugh) but Dunleavy had a great game...25 points, etc. There wasn't a lot of D being played, but he played like what he is...a wiley vet.

Kyrie and the Cavs won on the road at OKC, somewhere the Thunder had won 14 straight.

"Neither team led by more than five until the final minute, when the Cavaliers were putting the finishing touches on a 12-0 run spearheaded by Irving.
Irving drove for a pair of layups to put Cleveland ahead and then found Jamison wide open under the basket for a layup to make it 90-85."

Kyrie is such a gamer, my god.

COYS
03-10-2012, 09:51 AM
After the VT game, I watched the rest of Knicks v Bucks. The Knicks lost (ugh) but Dunleavy had a great game...25 points, etc. There wasn't a lot of D being played, but he played like what he is...a wiley vet.

Kyrie and the Cavs won on the road at OKC, somewhere the Thunder had won 14 straight.

"Neither team led by more than five until the final minute, when the Cavaliers were putting the finishing touches on a 12-0 run spearheaded by Irving.
Irving drove for a pair of layups to put Cleveland ahead and then found Jamison wide open under the basket for a layup to make it 90-85."

Kyrie is such a gamer, my god.

Seriously. Also, he hasn't been diming all that much this year, relatively speaking, but he's upped his assists recently, including 12 last night . . . against one of the two best teams in the league on their famously difficult home court. And oh yeah, he's 19.

CajunDevil
03-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Seriously. Also, he hasn't been diming all that much this year, relatively speaking, but he's upped his assists recently, including 12 last night . . . against one of the two best teams in the league on their famously difficult home court. And oh yeah, he's 19.

Kyrie will be the consensus best pg in NBA by All-Star break 2014... he is amazing!

hq2
03-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Led the Hornets in scoring tonight with 18 (12-14 FTs), tied for the team lead in rebounds (5), and was second in minutes played (30).

WOW! Way to go Lance! In a non-blowout game too!

Meanwhile, up here in Boston, got a chance to see Nolan play last night. Got about 9 minutes, played O.K.
hit a couple of buckets. He didn't look out of place, but I'm not sure Portland is the right team for him.
Portland wins on athleticism and depth, but doesn't shoot well. So, the fact that he isn't all that quick or
good at delivering the ball down low is a minus, but his outside shooting (which they clearly need, at
least from someone) is a plus. I'd say a trade to a slower team that runs a more deliberate half court
offense featuring good outside shooting wouldn't hurt him any. We'll see what happens. I would say
the Knicks or a similar team might be a good fit for him.

_Gary
03-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Kyrie will be the consensus best pg in NBA by All-Star break 2014... he is amazing!

That certainly could happen. Kyrie is amazing and it wouldn't shock me to see him reach that point in 2 years. But there are some incredible PGs in the League right now, so it might take him a few more years to reach that prominant position. But regardless of whether he's considered the best, 2nd best, or 3rd best PG in the NBA in a couple of years, he's a stud. In my opinion, he's going to go down as the best Duke pro of all time (up to this point). Had Grant not had his career interrupted with the ankle/leg issues he'd have been a tough act to top, imho. Heck, he's still a tough act to top! But I do believe Kyrie has a fantastic shot to be considered the best pro yet coming out of Duke.

Billy Dat
03-10-2012, 02:34 PM
But there are some incredible PGs in the League right now, so it might take him a few more years to reach that prominent position.

This is worth expanding on. As a Knicks fan, I have been watching Jeremy Lin get challenged by the best the league has to offer since his big breakthrough. Every night is a ridiculous challenge. Look at the startings PGs in the NBA right now....and my very quick attempt to bucket them by ability based on how they are playing this season:

Top Dogs:
Bulls - D. Rose; Celtics - Rondo; OKC - Westbrook; Nets - D. Williams; Clips - Chris Paul; Spurs - Tony Parker; Suns - Steve Nash

Next Wave:
Cleveland - Kyrie; Rockets - Kyle Lowry; Dallas - Kidd; Bucks - Jennings; Denver - Lawson; Minnestoa - Rubio; 76ers - Jrue Holiday

Third Wave:
Wizards - John Wall; Pacers - Darren Collison; Warriors - Steph Curry; Hawks - Jeff Teague; Kings - Tyreke Evans; Grizz - Mike Conley; Knicks - Lin; Magic - Jameer Nelson; Heat - Mario Chalmers

Everyone else
LA - Derek Fisher; Raptors - Calederon; Pistons - Brandon Knight; Hornets - Jarrett Jack; Utah - Devin Harris; Portland - Felton

That is RIDICULOUS top to bottom quality, and doesn't even consider top flight back-ups like Paul George. Kyrie has his work cut out for him, for sure, but he's up to the task!

JNort
03-11-2012, 01:19 AM
This is worth expanding on. As a Knicks fan, I have been watching Jeremy Lin get challenged by the best the league has to offer since his big breakthrough. Every night is a ridiculous challenge. Look at the startings PGs in the NBA right now....and my very quick attempt to bucket them by ability based on how they are playing this season:

Top Dogs:
Bulls - D. Rose; Celtics - Rondo; OKC - Westbrook; Nets - D. Williams; Clips - Chris Paul; Spurs - Tony Parker; Suns - Steve Nash

Next Wave:
Cleveland - Kyrie; Rockets - Kyle Lowry; Dallas - Kidd; Bucks - Jennings; Denver - Lawson; Minnestoa - Rubio; 76ers - Jrue Holiday

Third Wave:
Wizards - John Wall; Pacers - Darren Collison; Warriors - Steph Curry; Hawks - Jeff Teague; Kings - Tyreke Evans; Grizz - Mike Conley; Knicks - Lin; Magic - Jameer Nelson; Heat - Mario Chalmers

Everyone else
LA - Derek Fisher; Raptors - Calederon; Pistons - Brandon Knight; Hornets - Jarrett Jack; Utah - Devin Harris; Portland - Felton

That is RIDICULOUS top to bottom quality, and doesn't even consider top flight back-ups like Paul George. Kyrie has his work cut out for him, for sure, but he's up to the task!

Hmm it may be just me but I am much more strict than this on judging the pg's.

Elite:
Bulls - D. Rose; Nets - D. Williams; Clips - Chris Paul

All Star level:
Spurs - Tony Parker; Suns - Steve Nash; Celtics - Rondo; OKC - Westbrook

Almost All Stars:
Cleveland - Kyrie; Rockets - Kyle Lowry; Dallas - Kidd; Bucks - Jennings; Denver - Lawson; Warriors - Steph Curry

Starters:
76ers - Jrue Holiday; Wizards - John Wall; Pacers - Darren Collison; Minnestoa - Rubio; Hawks - Jeff Teague; Kings - Tyreke Evans; Grizz - Mike Conley; Knicks - Lin; Heat - Mario Chalmers; Pistons - Brandon Knight

Should not start yet/anymore
LA - Derek Fisher; Raptors - Calederon; Hornets - Jarrett Jack; Utah - Devin Harris; Portland - Felton; Magic - Jameer Nelson

-If Rondo keeps up his play then he moves up
-Kyrie is rising fast
-Kidd and Nash are falling
-Knight is rising but not there yet

House G
03-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Nice night for JJ (and Chris)--18 pts and 9 ASSISTS! If Dwight Howard leaves, he may want to take JJ with him:
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20120311_IND@ORL/magic-107-pacers-94

_Gary
03-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Kyrie just keeps on being Mr. Fourth Quarter. He scored 16 points in the final 4:14 of the game, ending up with 21 points, 6 boards, and 5 assists. Most importantly, Cleveland pulled to within one game of the Knicks for the final playoff spot. It would be really incredible to see the Cavs sneak in. Kyrie being on national TV for all to see in a playoff series would be awesome!

Billy Dat
03-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Nice night for JJ (and Chris)--18 pts and 9 ASSISTS! If Dwight Howard leaves, he may want to take JJ with him:
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20120311_IND@ORL/magic-107-pacers-94

And an ABSURD +35 on the plus minus...and his team, won by 13...and he played 32 minutes!

Kyrie just keeps on being Mr. Fourth Quarter. He scored 16 points in the final 4:14 of the game, ending up with 21 points, 6 boards, and 5 assists. Most importantly, Cleveland pulled to within one game of the Knicks for the final playoff spot. It would be really incredible to see the Cavs sneak in. Kyrie being on national TV for all to see in a playoff series would be awesome!

This is getting ridiculous - Kyrie is going to earn some kind of cool knickname with these kind of exploits - how about Captain Crunch as in Crunch Time.

Also, JNort, I can't quibble with your re-alignment of the PGs, nice work.

mike88
03-12-2012, 11:29 AM

The Magic were +35 with JJ on the floor last night- that is about as high a number as I have ever seen! He has really improved his passing skills since becoming a pro- no one on the Magic is better at feeding Dwight in the post, and he has become great in the pick and pop game with Ryan Anderson this year, too.

nmduke2001
03-13-2012, 11:32 PM
JJ was +26 in 43 minutes against the Heat in an Orlando win tonight. Funniest event of the night: JJ was picked up on a switch by LeBron James. JJ crossed him up and freed himself for a wide open 15 footer. Unfortunately he missed it. Still, pretty funny to see JJ completely juke LBJ.

CameronBornAndBred
03-14-2012, 08:13 AM
Wow...Nolan was perfect last nite.

3-3, 2 of them three pointers. Add 2 for 2 at the line in 11 minutes of play. 10pts total plus 2 rebounds.

hq2
03-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Wow...Nolan was perfect last nite.

3-3, 2 of them three pointers. Add 2 for 2 at the line in 11 minutes of play. 10pts total plus 2 rebounds.

Keep hoping he'll get more PT - they really need shooting.

Billy Dat
03-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Because of the Team USA connection, I thought it would be of interest that Mike D'Antoni just quit as Head Coach of the Knicks. It should be fun when he and Carmelo are together this summer in London (if Melo makes the team...)

sagegrouse
03-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Because of the Team USA connection, I thought it would be of interest that Mike D'Antoni just quit as Head Coach of the Knicks. It should be fun when he and Carmelo are together this summer in London (if Melo makes the team...)

Yet another story that suggests the inmates are in charge of the asylum. Wasn't D'Antoni opposed to gutting his team to get Melo in the first place?

With this madness going on, can Isiah be far behind?

sage
'BTW congrats for scooping ESPN, which didn't have the story up'

Billy Dat
03-14-2012, 03:11 PM
'BTW congrats for scooping ESPN, which didn't have the story up'

It's interesting how Yahoo! Sports has surpassed ESPN as a news source in terms of breaking news and investigative reporting. Adrian Wojnarowski of Y! was the guy who broke the story...I heard it on NY's WFAN and checked Twitter where it was breaking.

MIKESJ73
03-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Something I never thought I'd see...happened last night. JJ broke Lebron ankles.

"JJ Redick wicked cross-over on Lebron"

http://www.rantsports.com/courtcrusades/2012/03/14/video-j-j-redick-wicked-crossover-on-lebron-james/

sagegrouse
03-14-2012, 03:43 PM
It's interesting how Yahoo! Sports has surpassed ESPN as a news source in terms of breaking news and investigative reporting. Adrian Wojnarowski of Y! was the guy who broke the story...I heard it on NY's WFAN and checked Twitter where it was breaking.

Funny thing, tho'-- Adrian went on ESPN Radio almost immediately. --Sage

superdave
03-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Taylor (Rip City)

I have class in twenty minutes so we'll have to make this quick. Is jamal crawford going anywhere and are the blazers part of any new rumors?

Chad Ford
(1:41 PM)

Don't want you to miss class Taylor. Let's just put this way. Either the Blazers find a new home for Raymond Felton and Jamal Crawford (who have quietly orchestrated a mutiny ever since Nate McMillan chewed them out in a video session a while back) or they'll probably have to let Nate go. If I'm a Blazer fan ... I'd rather lose Felton and Crawford. They won't get a lot for either guy, but there is such a thing as addition by subtraction.

Billy Dat
03-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Taylor (Rip City)

I have class in twenty minutes so we'll have to make this quick. Is jamal crawford going anywhere and are the blazers part of any new rumors?

Chad Ford
(1:41 PM)

Don't want you to miss class Taylor. Let's just put this way. Either the Blazers find a new home for Raymond Felton and Jamal Crawford (who have quietly orchestrated a mutiny ever since Nate McMillan chewed them out in a video session a while back) or they'll probably have to let Nate go. If I'm a Blazer fan ... I'd rather lose Felton and Crawford. They won't get a lot for either guy, but there is such a thing as addition by subtraction.

The Knicks just beat the Blazers by 42. The Blazers, as they played tonight, are the worst team I have seen all year. Their talent isn't bad, but they are in a tailspin. McMillan could lose his job if they keep playing this way. If Nolan can't get some PT with this squad, he won't have too much luck elsewhere. The few minutes I saw him tonight he looked like a rookie - missing shots and getting abused by Baron Davis. He hasn't gotten much PT so I don't think it's a good snapshot but, man, that team stinks.

Greg_Newton
03-14-2012, 10:46 PM
The Knicks just beat the Blazers by 42. The Blazers, as they played tonight, are the worst team I have seen all year. Their talent isn't bad, but they are in a tailspin. McMillan could lose his job if they keep playing this way. If Nolan can't get some PT with this squad, he won't have too much luck elsewhere. The few minutes I saw him tonight he looked like a rookie - missing shots and getting abused by Baron Davis. He hasn't gotten much PT so I don't think it's a good snapshot but, man, that team stinks.

Thing is, their talent is crazy good. They were the hottest team in the conference at the beginning of the year. Aldridge is a top-tier center, Gerald Wallace is one of the best all-around wings in the league, Batum is a budding star at SG, Matthews, Crawford and Felton are all proven NBA starters, and they've got guys like EWill and Nolan who wold play elsewhere riding the bench.

No reason the Pacers, Nuggets, Rockets and Sixers should have better records than the Blazers. Chemistry, chemistry, chemistry...

UrinalCake
03-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Wasn't D'Antoni opposed to gutting his team to get Melo in the first place?

That's what I recall. Let's face it, Melo doesn't fit into his offensive system at all. Unfortunately that's the way it goes for a head coach in nearly any professional support - you disagree with picking up a player, and when it turns out you were right and your team doesn't win then you get fired for it.

doctorhook
03-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Kyrie with another strong effort 28 points on 11-16 shooting in a losing effort.

theAlaskanBear
03-15-2012, 08:36 AM
That's what I recall. Let's face it, Melo doesn't fit into his offensive system at all. Unfortunately that's the way it goes for a head coach in nearly any professional support - you disagree with picking up a player, and when it turns out you were right and your team doesn't win then you get fired for it.

I thought the Dolan press conference was both hilarious and sad. "I believe in this team...I believe in the talent and the fit...blah blah blah" NO KIDDING. Dolan built the team as he saw fit. it's Dolan in charge...there is a reason he lost Walsh last year and now his head coach this year. D'Antoni knew he wouldn't be there next year...and Espn just had some of the locker room guys and and Amare was saying "some guys refused to buy into the system"...lol any questions on who that is?

on another note...bulls beat the heat last night in a close one without Derek Rose...I only caught the first two quarters but the big man passing game between Noah and boozer passing to cutting players was sharp. I was surprised at how good of a passer Boozer is even though Noah gets most of the credit for being a point forward type center. also John Lucas went off!

hq2
03-15-2012, 09:13 AM
With this madness going on, can Isiah be far behind?

You mean, that idiot is still there?

yancem
03-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Not all of the individual stats are very impressive (some are actually pretty disappointing) but still seeing 16 former Duke players making it in the nba box scores is pretty impressive: http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats.html

Edit: A few of the Dukies came to play though (namely Irving and Dunleavy)

MIKESJ73
03-15-2012, 10:55 AM
You want impressive stats?

Elton Brand $143.2
Grant Hill $140.9
Carlos Boozer $99.0
Corey Maggette $78.2
Mike Dunleavy $63.3
Luol Deng $54.0
Shane Battier $50.2
Chris Duhon $27.8
JJ Redick $22.9
Dahntey Jones $14.7
Shelden Williams $12.1
Gerald Henderson $6.2
Josh McRoberts $5.8
Kyrie Irving $5.1
Nolan Smith $1.3
Lance Thomas $0.3

Total $725 Million

COYS
03-15-2012, 11:01 AM

Elton Brand $143.2
Grant Hill $140.9
Carlos Boozer $99.0
Corey Maggette $78.2
Mike Dunleavy $63.3
Luol Deng $54.0
Shane Battier $50.2
Chris Duhon $27.8
JJ Redick $22.9
Dahntey Jones $14.7
Shelden Williams $12.1
Gerald Henderson $6.2
Josh McRoberts $5.8
Kyrie Irving $5.1
Nolan Smith $1.3
Lance Thomas $0.3

Total $725 Million

10 of those guys finished up their degrees, too. Very impressive.

UrinalCake
03-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Cleveland sends off their backup point guard, clearly feeling that they're set at PG with Kyrie. They get back a first round pick and Luke Walton. Lakers also get little-known Christian Eyenga. Not sure what Walton's health status is, but it seems like a pretty good trade for everyone involved.

nocilla
03-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Portland acquired another guard for Nolan to compete with, Johnny Flynn. They traded Camby to the Rockets for Flynn and a 2nd rd pick. Apparently another deal is in the works that would send G.Wallace to the Nets for Okur, Shawne Williams, and a future 1st rd pick. Maybe there is 3rd deal in the works, otherwise the Blazers look a lot smaller now.

yancem
03-15-2012, 03:32 PM

Elton Brand $143.2
Grant Hill $140.9
Carlos Boozer $99.0
Corey Maggette $78.2
Mike Dunleavy $63.3
Luol Deng $54.0
Shane Battier $50.2
Chris Duhon $27.8
JJ Redick $22.9
Dahntey Jones $14.7
Shelden Williams $12.1
Gerald Henderson $6.2
Josh McRoberts $5.8
Kyrie Irving $5.1
Nolan Smith $1.3
Lance Thomas $0.3

Total $725 Million

How does Duhon have a bigger contract than Redick? Nothing against Duhon but this just goes to show that contract amount doesn't necessarily = production. Of course you can also look at the top of the list to figure that out. I love Brand and Hill but they should be arrested for making that kind of money. Still, an impressive list regardless. Also, love seeing Lance's name on this list!

delfrio
03-15-2012, 03:45 PM
How does Duhon have a bigger contract than Redick? Nothing against Duhon but this just goes to show that contract amount doesn't necessarily = production. Of course you can also look at the top of the list to figure that out. I love Brand and Hill but they should be arrested for making that kind of money. Still, an impressive list regardless. Also, love seeing Lance's name on this list!

I think this might be total earned to-date. JJ currently has a bigger contract than Duhon.

Jderf
03-15-2012, 03:50 PM
I think this might be total earned to-date. JJ currently has a bigger contract than Duhon.

Yeah, must be. Otherwise Elton Brand's $143.2 million-dollar contract would be all over the headlines.

Class of '94
03-15-2012, 04:40 PM

If you look at his numbers from Detroit and what he has done for the Suns the last 4 years, Grant has been a steal. He's currently the Suns guard anybody defender; and he's shutting people done (including the top players in league that range from ones to threes). He received a nice 1-yr FA deal from the Suns this year; but he was underpaid the last 4 years based on the numbers he was putting up as well as the nice job he's been doing on the defensive end with his ability to guard multiple positions effectively.

DukeVol
03-15-2012, 04:48 PM
I love Brand and Hill but they should be arrested for making that kind of money.

You're right! The government should decide how much they should make anyway. (<<End sarcasm>>)

Oops, no more PBB!!!

MIKESJ73
03-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Those were the career earnings including this years contracts. Here is the current contracts for each player...

Brand $17.1
Boozer $13.5
Deng $12.3
Maggette $10.2
Redick $6.8
Hill $6.5
Irving $5.1
Dunleavy $3.8
Duhon $3.2
Battier $3.0
McBob $3.0
Jones $2.7
Henderson $2.2
Smith $1.3
Williams $0.9
Thomas $0.3

dcdevil2009
03-15-2012, 05:29 PM
You're right! The government should decide how much they should make anyway. (<<End sarcasm>>)

Oops, no more PBB!!!

Haha, not exactly the government, but Hill and Boozer both got paid a relatively small sum by the USOC for their respective Olympic teams. The reported $25k for gold medals isn't huge, but the $10k given for bronze was probably too much for the 04 basketball team.

sagegrouse
03-20-2012, 12:37 AM
I must have missed the story on his trade. But he is now in LA and was leading scorer against Golden State the other night.

sage

Greg_Newton
03-20-2012, 12:48 AM
I must have missed the story on his trade. But he is now in LA and was leading scorer against Golden State the other night.

sage

I don't mean to doubt you, Mr. Sagegrouse, but... Corey Maggette is still a Bobcat and Blake Griffin was the leading scorer in that game. :confused:

sagegrouse
03-20-2012, 08:48 AM

sage

I don't mean to doubt you, Mr. Sagegrouse, but... Corey Maggette is still a Bobcat and Blake Griffin was the leading scorer in that game. :confused:

This darn internet has got me totally flummoxed. Corey was not in the box score last night, either as a performer or as a DNP. So, given the recent trade deadline, I searched on ESPN for Maggette links and found a reference to a a Clips-GS game -- probably from five years ago. I need to get a life.

Well, as the good Congressmen say, I would like to revise and extend my remarks: "This post is a bump."

sage

Billy Dat
03-25-2012, 09:09 AM
I found this Battier tweet interesting and enlightening. Amazing what can be said in 140 characters or less

Shane Battier ‏ @ShaneBattier
Nope. Love the game. Don't love it's players. RT @Nevertrusther: @ShaneBattier you going to coach when you retire from the nba

CameronBornAndBred
03-27-2012, 12:04 PM
I just noticed that Lance started both last night and Saturday night. Both games were losses, but that's pretty sweet...going from the D-League to a starting spot on an NBA roster in one season.
http://espn.go.com/nba/team/schedule/_/name/no/new-orleans-hornets

BattierD12
03-27-2012, 02:06 PM
I just noticed that Lance started both last night and Saturday night. Both games were losses, but that's pretty sweet...going from the D-League to a starting spot on an NBA roster in one season.

Lansanity.

DukieInBrasil
03-27-2012, 03:05 PM

My initial reaction was that it was kinda like the Demarcus Nelson situation, in that an unheralded, hardworking player gets some starts to fire up the other plahyers. Of course, Nelson was denied a roster spot and cut, eventually landing in Europe, whereas LT was recently guaranteed a roster spot and won't be downsized any time soon for capricious reasons. I really can't say that i think LT will be a long-term starter based on his production up to now, but what he has done is pretty impressive. K was right, go LT!

riddle me this
03-28-2012, 01:54 AM
After averaging about 14 mins in the last 8 games and playing decently, Nolan got the start tonight and 26 minutes as Raymond Felton was with his family. He played pretty poorly, shooting 1-9 from the field with 3 assists to one turnover, a couple rebounds, and one steal. He did shoot 1-2 from 3-point land but 0-7 on 2-pointers. His backup, Johnny Flynn, had 10 points on 3-6 shooting and had 5 assists to 1 turnover in 25 minutes.

I hope Nolan can continue to get more time, and it must be noted that he was going up against Russell Westbrook, who is by no means an easy match up. Unfortunately, Westbrook had a very good game, so this game can't contribute to Nolan's chances of getting more minutes. Good luck Nolan!

dukelifer
03-28-2012, 08:53 AM
My initial reaction was that it was kinda like the Demarcus Nelson situation, in that an unheralded, hardworking player gets some starts to fire up the other plahyers. Of course, Nelson was denied a roster spot and cut, eventually landing in Europe, whereas LT was recently guaranteed a roster spot and won't be downsized any time soon for capricious reasons. I really can't say that i think LT will be a long-term starter based on his production up to now, but what he has done is pretty impressive. K was right, go LT!

Nelson was an undersized player who lacked the ball handling and shooting skills for the next level. Lance has decent size is long and has the potential to be a contributor on both ends of the floor. Some player's game translate better to the Pros. Lance has to continue to play harder than everyone around him- but he has a chance to have a career. It certainly helps to get minutes to make that case.

A-Tex Devil
03-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Nelson was an undersized player who lacked the ball handling and shooting skills for the next level. Lance has decent size is long and has the potential to be a contributor on both ends of the floor. Some player's game translate better to the Pros. Lance has to continue to play harder than everyone around him- but he has a chance to have a career. It certainly helps to get minutes to make that case.

Lance Thomas = Chuck Hayes with less offense. Even so, that will stick around for a while. 6 fouls, good defense, no mistakes, clean up garbage on offensive end.

CDu
03-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Lance Thomas = Chuck Hayes with less offense. Even so, that will stick around for a while. 6 fouls, good defense, no mistakes, clean up garbage on offensive end.

I don't see them as all that similar, actually. Chuck Hayes is a truck - short and stout (6'6", 250) and plays the PF/C spot and provides very strong rebounding and little else (he's averaging fewer points per 48 than Thomas). Thomas is more of a PF/SF, who doesn't rebound as much but plays tough defense and provides energy and flexibility to guard either forward spot.

A-Tex Devil
03-28-2012, 01:21 PM
I don't see them as all that similar, actually. Chuck Hayes is a truck - short and stout (6'6", 250) and plays the PF/C spot and provides very strong rebounding and little else (he's averaging fewer points per 48 than Thomas). Thomas is more of a PF/SF, who doesn't rebound as much but plays tough defense and provides energy and flexibility to guard either forward spot.

I haven't watch Hayes in about 3 years. But what little I've seen from Lance reminds me a lot of what Chuck was doing for the Rockets circa 2007.

CDu
03-28-2012, 01:24 PM
I haven't watch Hayes in about 3 years. But what little I've seen from Lance reminds me a lot of what Chuck was doing for the Rockets circa 2007.

Well, Hayes hasn't changed body types since his college days. He was always a short, stout, unselfish, physical, bruising post player who could defend much taller players and rebound well. Now, I haven't seen much of Thomas in the NBA, but I can't imagine his game fits that description.

Duke79UNLV77
04-02-2012, 10:07 PM
in March averaged 15.3 points, shooting 56.9 percent from the floor, 54.4 from 3, and 89.3 from the line, with almost a 3-1 assist to turnover ratio. Great to see him playing his best ball since before his injury.

theAlaskanBear
04-02-2012, 11:12 PM
in March averaged 15.3 points, shooting 56.9 percent from the floor, 54.4 from 3, and 89.3 from the line, with almost a 3-1 assist to turnover ratio. Great to see him playing his best ball since before his injury.

And perhaps his most important stat: 1 tyler hansbrough broken nose. :D Hilarious, however terribly unsporting of me it is....

hq2
04-03-2012, 05:31 PM
And perhaps his most important stat: 1 tyler hansbrough broken nose. :D Hilarious, however terribly unsporting of me it is....

Speaking of which; Shelden got poked in the eye by non other than our old Carolina friend last week, and will be out for a while. Seems
like there's no love lost between ol' Tyler and ex Dukies in the NBA!

Billy Dat
04-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Last night's Miami v OKC game, a potential NBA Finals preview, was awesome! It had an NBA Finals level of intensity and huge play after huge play down the stretch. Shane was in the thick of it all, nailing several key second half 3s and playing all the crunch time minutes. It is amazing how his move to the Heat makes me root for the Heat...because last year I HATED the Heat. All hail 31!

moonpie23
04-05-2012, 02:33 PM
i am pulling for the heat.....last night's game showed everyone what a playoff series between these two teams would be like...

hope they both have good cut men...

moonpie23
04-09-2012, 11:26 PM
just saw the box score on the magic's game and it had duhon listed as DNP SUSPENDED BY TEAM...

did i miss something?

Bluedog
04-09-2012, 11:29 PM
just saw the box score on the magic's game and it had duhon listed as DNP SUSPENDED BY TEAM...

did i miss something?

Duhon missed the morning shoot around and did not contact team officials until after it had ended. Per team policy, they suspended him for one game. Apparently, he had some personal issues that came up that he had to take care of, but everything is good now.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-09/sports/os-magic-chris-duhon-suspension-0410-20120409_1_chris-duhon-orlando-magic-hedo-turkoglu

sagegrouse
04-09-2012, 11:30 PM

did i miss something?

One game suspension for "conduct detrimental to the team." Apparently he missed a shoot-around. Personal issues, now resolved, sayeth his agent.

Orlando won easily and JJ started and scored 20.

sage

IBleedBlue
04-09-2012, 11:53 PM
I had some time on my hands tonight. So, i went back to wikipedia and looked up some stats about Duke big men drafted in first rounds since 2006.
Here is what I came up with:

Duke
UNC
UK
UCONN
UCLA
Kansas
OSU

TOTAL

I assumed the following while building this table:
1. Include candidates drafted in first round
2. Do not include second round + undrafted candidates
3. Include drafts from 2006 onwards
4. Compare top basketball programs in terms of popularity
5. Only consider players drafted for PF and C positions

Conclusion:
1. Duke laid big solid eggs in the last 5 draft classes
2. Duke and UCLA has same number of draft picks except Kevin Love is famous among high school kids and Shelden Williams not as much
3. More consistent programs are UNC, OSU and Kansas each with atleast 1 draft pick without a gap of more than 2 years
4. UK is producing draft picks only after Coach Cal took over

Enjoy and feel free to make more conclusions!!

theAlaskanBear
04-10-2012, 10:05 AM
I had some time on my hands tonight. So, i went back to wikipedia and looked up some stats about Duke big men drafted in first rounds since 2006.

Duke
UNC
UK
UCONN
UCLA
Kansas
OSU

TOTAL

Conclusion:
2. Duke and UCLA has same number of draft picks except Kevin Love is famous among high school kids and Shelden Williams not as much
3. More consistent programs are UNC, OSU and Kansas each with atleast 1 draft pick without a gap of more than 2 years

And despite those "eggs" as you call them, Duke still has two big men in the league who have been better than anyone else with the exception of Kevin Love -- Carlos Boozer and Elton Brand (now on reaching the end of his career). A third, Josh McRoberts plays for the lakers, and finally, Shelden Williams is not famous like Love -- but has been a solid role player ever since being drafted.

But lets focus simply on your suspiciously selective time frame and let us examine the quality of those big men being drafted. Take UConn first in 2006 -- only two of those players were PF-C in fact, the third I assume you meant Marcus Williams who is a SF and cannot be included. Then you had Hasheem Thabeet in 2009. Well of those ONLY Josh Boone has had any real career in the NBA and is not currently playing -- an inferior one to Shelden Williams to be sure.

Now lets take Kansas...during that time frame you have Julian Wright, Sasha Kaun, Cole Aldrich, and the Morris twins. Only Cole and the Morris twins are in the NBA, and only Markieff is having any impact whatsoever. The others struggle to average 2pts a game.

Now, OSU: Greg Oden, BJ Mullens, and Kosta Koufos. Well, we know how that Greg Oden pick turned out, BJ Mullins is as bad as Cole Aldrich, but Koufos has been a servicable roleplayer.

UNC: Brandan Wright, Tyler Hansbrough, Ed Davis. Wright has been a huge dissapointment...a role player having a "breakout" year with the Mavs at 6.7ppg. Ed Davis has only had a couple of years, but so far has been no more impressive than Shelden in his first two seasons. Hansbrough is a solid player, a good bench player, better than Shelden, yes.

Obviously no team has put a PF/C into the league better than UCLA. Love has been tremendous. But it is just one player...

Now to Kentucky! Patrick Patterson, Demarcus Cousins, Daniel Orton, and Enes Kanter. I don't know how you can include Kanter, as he was a Euro professional who was ruled ineligible to play college BB. That is ridiculous to include him. Cousins is very good, but also a headcase causing all sorts of problems for Sacremento. Orton has dont nothing, but Patterson looks to be a good player. If you insist on including Kanter, he projecting to be a role player -- in his first yr averaging 4ppg 4rpg.

So, Duke who has laid all those eggs...yet when you go back and see who is still in the league...only 5 players can be said to be better than our lone pick Shelden Williams. Love, Hansbrough, Markieff Morris, Demarcus Cousins, and with all probability Patrick Patterson. That's 5/20 for a 25% success rate among those schools for putting players in the league better than Shelden Williams. When you expand the timeframe, Duke gets as good as any school for big men, save maybe Georgetown.

sagegrouse
04-10-2012, 10:42 AM

Duke
UNC
UK
UCONN
UCLA
Kansas
OSU

TOTAL

Conclusion:

And despite those "eggs" as you call them, Duke still has two big men in the league who have been better than anyone else with the exception of Kevin Love -- Carlos Boozer and Elton Brand (now on reaching the end of his career). A third, Josh McRoberts plays for the lakers, and finally, Shelden Williams is not famous like Love -- but has been a solid role player ever since being drafted.

.................................................. .......................

So, Duke who has laid all those eggs...yet when you go back and see who is still in the league...only 5 players can be said to be better than our lone pick Shelden Williams. Love, Hansbrough, Markieff Morris, Demarcus Cousins, and with all probability Patrick Patterson. That's 5/20 for a 25% success rate among those schools for putting players in the league better than Shelden Williams. When you expand the timeframe, Duke gets as good as any school for big men, save maybe Georgetown.

I agree totally with you, Alaskan Bear (stay away from the grouse, if you don't mind). The Ibleedble post is, moreover, a negative recruiting advertisment for Duke. It is biased and unfair. Ibleedblue -- is that Kentucky blue, Kansas blue or Carolina blue? It sure ain't Duke blue.

sagegrouse

COYS
04-10-2012, 11:08 AM
I agree totally with you, Alaskan Bear (stay away from the grouse, if you don't mind). The Ibleedble post is, moreover, a negative recruiting advertisment for Duke. It is biased and unfair. Ibleedblue -- is that Kentucky blue, Kansas blue or Carolina blue? It sure ain't Duke blue.

sagegrouse

I agree with Sage and Alaskan Bear. What I actually think that chart shows is how difficult it is to project big guys at a young age. The old adage that big men develop more slowly is completely true. This is why someone like Dwight Howard is so coveted. He is the only all-world center in, well, the world. In terms of centers at the NBA level, there really just aren't that many that are elite? Bynum is really good. Al Jefferson is putting it together. Duncan, if you consider him a center, is still valuable even as he gets older. Greg Monroe is a center of a different mold, but is really good. We could throw in defensive specialist guys like Chandler and Noah into the mix, as well. Horford could also be considered a center, even though I think he'd be best playing the PF spot. Otherwise, that's about it. From that group, most didn't even go to college and the ones that did, (Monroe, Horford and Noah) went to Georgetown and Florida, which weren't even on the draft chart of the OP. The club is a little bigger if you expand it to include power forwards, as guys like Griffin, Love, Aldridge (for whom it took a little while to become elite), Boozer, Bosh, Josh Smith, DeMarcus Cousins, Paul Millsap etc can be added to the list if we're not being to picky. Still, out of that group, you still don't have many from the list of schools in that draft chart. Anyway, my point is simply that even among the top recruits each year, it is hard to project who is going to turn themselves into an NBA star. And, in many cases, the ones that do, take a little time to develop. Griffin, Horford, Monroe, Love, and Cousins have taken off pretty quickly, but of that group, only Cousins went to one of the schools listed. I think it's pretty hard to say that any single school flat out churns out star big men. The ones that appear to churn out bigs are really the ones that are lucky enough to have had talented players who stay healthy and realize their ability at the next level stop over on campus for a year or two (or three in the case of Horford and Noah).

I think different coaches definitely have different strengths and weaknesses. There is no doubt about that. Some coaches have signatures in terms of style of play (run and gun for Roy, man to man defense and motion offense for K). It is very possible that in the case of Manning when he was at Kansas he helped turn otherwise non-NBA bigs into guys who could get a cup of coffee in the league. However, when it comes to the long term development of star big guys, I really don't think any one school can really claim to be the king of the court. In fact, despite the reputation places like UCONN and Kansas have gotten with big guys recently, they really haven't had anyone make their mark in the league since 2006.

dcdevil2009
04-10-2012, 01:07 PM

Conclusion:

I appreciate the effort you put into this, but take somewhat of an issue with your assessment of each school's success in "producing" bigs. I think a fairer way to do it would be to look at the effect the time each player had at a school affected his ranking. For example, you could argue that UCONN and Kansas have both done a great job of "producing" bigs because of how much their bigs' draft stock improved between their senior year of high school and ultimately entering the draft. Hasheem Thabeet could make a great case that UCONN was able to turn a guy who at this time hasn't shown the ability to be a productive NBA player into the number 2 draft pick in the NBA. And while Okafor has been a solid role player, he hasn't had the type of career one would expect out of the number 2 overall pick. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any recent Kansas or UCONN bigs that have outperformed their draft positions.

On the flip side, Kentucky, UCLA, and Ohio State have had a lot of first round picks, but their draft stock remained relatively steady during their time in school. Cousins and Oden would have been top 5 picks out of high school and were top 5 picks after their one year on campus; despite his high school ranking, I remember Love being projected as a mid-to-late lottery pick before arriving at UCLA.

Finally, you've got Duke and UNC. First, I would expand your parameters to include McRoberts and/or Boozer. I'd have a hard time arguing that either Duke or UNC have significantly improved a player's draft position during their time on campus, and have occasionally seen their stocks drop (cough, McRoberts, cough). However, more frequently than not, they have outperformed their draft position and are on pace to have lengthy NBA careers (except for Big, Fat, Sean May). Hansbrough played himself into the the lottery and is looking like he'll have a lengthy career as a role player and Ed Davis' stock dropped somewhat by staying at UNC, but he looks to be in the league for a while. As for Duke's bigs, McRoberts and Boozer were both second round picks (McRoberts slipping from his freshman projection and Boozer maintaining his stock, while being underrated relative to his college accomplishments) who have had or are on pace to have longer careers and make significantly more money than most second round picks. In both cases, they've exceeded their draft day expectations. Maybe you'd counter to say that Shelden hasn't lived up to the 5th overall pick, but you have to remember that the 2005 draft was one of the weakest drafts ever and he's arguably outperformed every PF or C drafted behind him except for Paul Millsap.

So if you're going to use first round draft picks as a metric, then I'd have to concede Duke hasn't done as well as other big-time programs. However, I'd counter that Duke has done a better job than most in helping its bigs develop a foundation to go on to lengthy NBA careers where their lower draft picks (and corresponding rookie deals) are more than made up for by their second and third contracts.

theAlaskanBear
04-10-2012, 01:18 PM
I agree with Sage and Alaskan Bear. What I actually think that chart shows is how difficult it is to project big guys at a young age. The old adage that big men develop more slowly is completely true. This is why someone like Dwight Howard is so coveted. He is the only all-world center in, well, the world. In terms of centers at the NBA level, there really just aren't that many that are elite? Bynum is really good. Al Jefferson is putting it together. Duncan, if you consider him a center, is still valuable even as he gets older. Greg Monroe is a center of a different mold, but is really good. We could throw in defensive specialist guys like Chandler and Noah into the mix, as well. Horford could also be considered a center, even though I think he'd be best playing the PF spot. Otherwise, that's about it. From that group, most didn't even go to college and the ones that did, (Monroe, Horford and Noah) went to Georgetown and Florida, which weren't even on the draft chart of the OP. The club is a little bigger if you expand it to include power forwards, as guys like Griffin, Love, Aldridge (for whom it took a little while to become elite), Boozer, Bosh, Josh Smith, DeMarcus Cousins, Paul Millsap etc can be added to the list if we're not being to picky. Still, out of that group, you still don't have many from the list of schools in that draft chart. Anyway, my point is simply that even among the top recruits each year, it is hard to project who is going to turn themselves into an NBA star. And, in many cases, the ones that do, take a little time to develop. Griffin, Horford, Monroe, Love, and Cousins have taken off pretty quickly, but of that group, only Cousins went to one of the schools listed. I think it's pretty hard to say that any single school flat out churns out star big men. The ones that appear to churn out bigs are really the ones that are lucky enough to have had talented players who stay healthy and realize their ability at the next level stop over on campus for a year or two (or three in the case of Horford and Noah).

I think different coaches definitely have different strengths and weaknesses. There is no doubt about that. Some coaches have signatures in terms of style of play (run and gun for Roy, man to man defense and motion offense for K). It is very possible that in the case of Manning when he was at Kansas he helped turn otherwise non-NBA bigs into guys who could get a cup of coffee in the league. However, when it comes to the long term development of star big guys, I really don't think any one school can really claim to be the king of the court. In fact, despite the reputation places like UCONN and Kansas have gotten with big guys recently, they really haven't had anyone make their mark in the league since 2006.

I would give you pitchforks buts it won't let me. No one is going to argue that Duke puts better gaurds than big men in the league (actually I would SF is our specialty) but no school can really point to the success of big men in the league and claim to produce bigs with any consistancy. Georgetown recently had Hibbert and Monroe. Florida had Horford and Noah and David Lee (earlier)....thats really about as good as it gets from the college ranks over that timeframe. Most quality NBA bigs are foreign or straight from HS to pro.

Take the top 15 rebounders in the league:
4 are foreign players
4 came straight from HS
The only school with more than 1 player is FL.

Big men are born, not made. I doubt there is any correlation between college coaching and successful NBA big men...

IBleedBlue
04-10-2012, 06:42 PM
The only reason I selected this timeline is because I have heard on this board some posters saying the current recruits do not remember when Carlos and Elton played at Duke although they are doing very well in the league because these recruits were barely 8-10 years old then.
And to the poster who says I am doing negative recruiting, I am only member of this board and do not belong and post in any other college boards. Having said that, my posts are very objective and and not very duke colored. You are free to go back and check my previous posts from my profile page. Most of posts are very objective and not biased towards any school.

Billy Dat
04-11-2012, 09:11 AM
I caught the 4th Quarter of the Celtics v Heat game last night and the entire Knicks v Bulls game.

For Duke related news, I was taken aback to see our Shane getting into multiple scuffles with KG. First off, let me say that I think KG is a punk of the highest order. I don't care if he is a Hall of Famer, he is always starting stuff on the court, and I got the feeling that he was agitating Shane as a way of welcoming him to the Celtics/Heat rivalry. There were all kinds off after whistle shoves and intentional bumps, Shane was even doing some of it after a while. But, I have to give KG credit, the guy hit every big shot in the 4th quarter. The Celtics look ready to contend again. The big 3 are healthy, Rondo is still playing out of his mind, and Avery Bradley (Texas) and Brandon Bass have stepped into the starting line-up with Ray Allen coming off the bench. Plus, the big kid Greg Stiemsma from Wisconsin gives them a lot of quality minutes. They look for real.

As for the Knicks/Bulls, Deng has really raised his game to where, especially with Rose out for the last 10-12 games, he is aggressively hunting his shot. He also consistently nails the 3. Boozer is clearly not the same player he once was. But, that team goes about 10 deep and and plays animalistic defense. Plus, they've got Rip Hamilton starting to look something like his old self. Between Chicago, Miami and Boston, someone really good is going to come out of the East. It really feels like the title is up for grabs, none of these teams are a notch above the others, including OKC and the Spurs. You might wind up with a geriatric NBA finals - Celtics v Spurs!

theAlaskanBear
04-11-2012, 10:05 AM
I caught the 4th Quarter of the Celtics v Heat game last night and the entire Knicks v Bulls game.

For Duke related news, I was taken aback to see our Shane getting into multiple scuffles with KG. First off, let me say that I think KG is a punk of the highest order. I don't care if he is a Hall of Famer, he is always starting stuff on the court, and I got the feeling that he was agitating Shane as a way of welcoming him to the Celtics/Heat rivalry. There were all kinds off after whistle shoves and intentional bumps, Shane was even doing some of it after a while. But, I have to give KG credit, the guy hit every big shot in the 4th quarter. The Celtics look ready to contend again. The big 3 are healthy, Rondo is still playing out of his mind, and Avery Bradley (Texas) and Brandon Bass have stepped into the starting line-up with Ray Allen coming off the bench. Plus, the big kid Greg Stiemsma from Wisconsin gives them a lot of quality minutes. They look for real.

As for the Knicks/Bulls, Deng has really raised his game to where, especially with Rose out for the last 10-12 games, he is aggressively hunting his shot. He also consistently nails the 3. Boozer is clearly not the same player he once was. But, that team goes about 10 deep and and plays animalistic defense. Plus, they've got Rip Hamilton starting to look something like his old self. Between Chicago, Miami and Boston, someone really good is going to come out of the East. It really feels like the title is up for grabs, none of these teams are a notch above the others, including OKC and the Spurs. You might wind up with a geriatric NBA finals - Celtics v Spurs!

I agree with almost everything you said. KG definitely plays for the advantage, and there is no way refs can whistle all the holding, shoves, hooks, etc...but that is part of what makes him a great competitor. He will pursue every advantage within a game...if that means he has to get physical and dirty, so be it. Chicago has played amazing well without Rose...but I don't think its entirely an accident. They get a lot more movement and involvement in the offense without Rose, though their margin of error is smaller without him. I don't think they could play this way a whole season without Rose, but for 30-40 games sure...everyone has stepped up. Concerning Boozer, he is not as explosive as he was, though Carlos had some great dunks last night which you dont see every day. Utah Boozer we will not see, simply because Deron Williams is the best pick and roll PG in the league. Rose is not the passer nor the picknroll-picknpop player that Williams was in Utah. Boozer in Chicago is now more dependent upon hustle points (tip-ins, rebound putbacks) and jump shots that are not created from pick and rolls. What I have noticed is if the offense starts to stagnate Boozer will get passes on the elbows and go into jumpshot mode. The key this season will be Hamilton. If he is healthy enough to play good D he will be a great compliment to Rose because he is an efficient scorer and doesnt need the ball to make shots.

If any gets to watch the Bulls regularly (Chicago market) please weigh in.

MIKESJ73
04-11-2012, 01:18 PM
KG is from my hometown and we are about the same age. IMHO, he always had an attitude problem. I remember going into his senior year, KG with approximately 8 buddies attacked a kid. The kid was put in the hospital with serious injuries. He later identified KG as one of his assailants who was kicking him while he was on the ground and KG was arrested and charged with lynching. Somehow within a month Garnett was able to up and move from Mauldin to Chicago to play for Farragut High with Ronnie Fields, and his charges disappeared.

At the parks, he was always started stuff with anyone playing against him. Unfortunately for him, when I knew him he was 6-9 and looked like he weighed less than 180lbs, so he took a few beatings when his posse wasn't around.

Usually the "local kid makes good in the NBA" is a big deal, but not for most of the people who knew him.

Billy Dat
04-12-2012, 10:20 AM
The Knicks and Bucks are in a heated struggle for the last Eastern Conference Playoff spot (along with the 76ers). They played each other last night and it is the second consecutive time that Mike Dunleavy has absolutely torched the Knicks in the first half and disappeared in the second. As a Knicks fan, this works for me as I get to see him play well for a stretch and then not hurt my team in crunch time. He added a particularly horrible brick in the final minute which also helped. Being a huge fan of a college and NBA team will put one in some tough rooting situations.

I have also been watching a lot of JR Smith since he joined the Knicks. It is really a shame that he never enrolled at UNC as it may have been fun to watch him drive the coaches crazy. Then again, he also may have dropped 30 on us so it's probably best that he never donned the baby blue. Shaun Livingston had a less than 1 minute stint on the floor for the Bucks...another might-have-been figure in the Duke v UNC rivalry. I have to give the kid credit. Despite that horrendous knee injury, he has stuck around the league and made himself $21MM and counting.

phaedrus
04-12-2012, 10:46 AM
I don't know if Mike Dunleavy's getting enough attention. Here is Bucks blog, brewhoop.com, on the Sixth Man race:
_________

The Sixth Man. James Harden looks like the clear-cut winner of the NBA's Sixth Man Award in 2012. Then again, Mike Dunleavy has had one hell of year for the Bucks. But since it's such a clear decision, I shouldn't even have to tell you which player is which, right?

GP Min USG FG% 3P% FT% eFG% TS% Assist Rate TO Rate Win Shares PER

Player A 45 26.5 18.68 49.2 42.9 81.7 58 61.5 20.41 9.11 5.52 17.31

Player B 55 31.8 21.43 49 38.7 83.6 57.8 65.5 25.55 15.02 7.12 20.84

Billy Dat
04-13-2012, 01:58 PM
I think Shane's non-scoring value is being diminished by the fact that the Heat bench can't score a lick! In a marquee game against the Bulls last night, the Heat lost a heart breaker in overtime. What stood out to me, even though the team only lost by 10, the Heat was -31 in Shane's 31 minutes on the floor. Yikes! His value has always been that the stats were modest but the +/- was hugely plus.

Ichabod Drain
04-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Had free tickets to the Bobcats vs Hornets game last night so i went and watched two of the worst teams in the association play. The bobcats are terrible, absolutely terrible, though the Hornets aren't a whole lot better. They put up only 67 points on the night, however G put up 27 of those 67. Lance started the game but ended up playing only 13 min and not scoring. G looked pretty good but it was hard to tell with both teams playing so poorly.

The two teams combined for 2-27 from three point range.

1 24 90
04-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Did anyone catch Nolan's stats last night?

N. Smith(notes) 32:53 6-14 1-2 1-1 -7 1 3 5 0 2 0 2 4 14

14 points, 5 assists, 0 turnovers, 2 steals - great night!

Billy Dat
04-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Had free tickets to the Bobcats vs Hornets game last night so i went and watched two of the worst teams in the association play. The bobcats are terrible, absolutely terrible, though the Hornets aren't a whole lot better. They put up only 67 points on the night, however G put up 27 of those 67. Lance started the game but ended up playing only 13 min and not scoring. G looked pretty good but it was hard to tell with both teams playing so poorly.

Maybe that's why the ticket was free

theAlaskanBear
04-17-2012, 11:27 AM

The Bobcats are at risk of finishing with the worst winning percentage in the history of the league. The fact that they are about to do so eight years out from expansion, not the immediate years after the expansion is a pretty telling management issue.

G is having a really nice season. I hope he can build on the success...his biggest flaw right now is his 3-pt shooting, which really is the Bobcats weakness...they are a league worst .298 (and they are also last in FG%).

I find this amusing because the old Charlotte Hornets hold the record for best 3pt% shooting in NBA history: .428
Glen Rice, Tony Delk, Dell Curry, Mugsy Bogues, Ricky Pierce all shot lights out, and only 3 players shot under 30% from three -- Vlade Divac (11-47) and two others with 4 attempts total. Oh, but for a return to the days of George Shinn! o.O

gwlaw99
04-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Did anyone catch Nolan's stats last night?

N. Smith(notes) 32:53 6-14 1-2 1-1 -7 1 3 5 0 2 0 2 4 14

14 points, 5 assists, 0 turnovers, 2 steals - great night!

Great to hear. Lets hope he keeps it up!

Gewebe14
04-17-2012, 11:56 AM
The Bobcats are at risk of finishing with the worst winning percentage in the history of the league. The fact that they are about to do so eight years out from expansion, not the immediate years after the expansion is a pretty telling management issue.

This is a bit off topic, but I don't personally think that blowing up the team on purpose to get a good draft pick is really a huge "management issue"

Obviously the Bobs are horrible, but they traded away or let go of all of their semi-quality players last year or 2 years ago to pursue a different direction.

theAlaskanBear
04-17-2012, 01:40 PM
This is a bit off topic, but I don't personally think that blowing up the team on purpose to get a good draft pick is really a huge "management issue"

Obviously the Bobs are horrible, but they traded away or let go of all of their semi-quality players last year or 2 years ago to pursue a different direction.

I don't know, you have a valid perspective, but I think it is pretty telling that a franchise just 8 years in existance had to blow up their team...

8 years after expansion the Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies were a 28 win team who found their coach mid-season (Hubie Brown), won 50 games in the next season and were in the playoff for the next three years, avg 47 wins a season.

8 years after the Miami Heat expansion they had been to the playoffs 3 times, and starting their Pat Riley playoff run, and would win 61 games the next year.
8 years into the Charlotte Hornets franchise they had been to the playoffs twice. The next season they would win 54 games and start a playoff run 8 in 9 years.
8 years into the Toronto expansion they had been to the playoffs 3 times, but had plateaued and won only 24 games the next year.
8 years after the Minnesota expansion, the Timberwolves had just started an 8 season playoff run. They would win 45 games the next year.
8 years after the Orlando expansion they had been in the playoffs 4 times, including a trip to the NBA finals. The would win 41 games the next year.
8 years after the Dallas expansion they had been to the playoffs 5 straight seasons, capped off with a trip to the WC finals. They would win 38 games the next year.

So to recap, virtually every expansion team since 1980 had either achieved a great deal more success than the Charlotte Bobcats, or were reaching consistent levels of success Jordan and Bobcats could only dream of, with the exception of the Toronto Raptors who had more initial success but would miss the playoffs consistently after the initial 8 years. I think everyone would acknowledge starting a franchise is hard, but to the be the negative outlier in this case should send a message.

toooskies
04-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Eh, Jordan realized a fundamental rule: to get a superstar, you either need to draft one or sign one, and you need to be a major market to sign one. Jordan's purposely tanked this team, and it's a legitimate strategy.

theAlaskanBear
04-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Eh, Jordan realized a fundamental rule: to get a superstar, you either need to draft one or sign one, and you need to be a major market to sign one. Jordan's purposely tanked this team, and it's a legitimate strategy.

And based on Jordan's history, he sure has shown himself to be a good judge of talent...:rolleyes:

It's a very risky strategy. Since the weighted lottery was introduced in 1990, the team with the worst record has only won the lottery 3 times. 3/21. Everyone expects Anthony Davis to be a game changer, but after that? Kidd-Gilchrist could be a star, but that's far from certain. Austin Rivers? Charlotte seems set at guard with Kemba and G. Maybe they are hoping to draft Harrison Bryce-Jordan Barnes? ;)

CameronBornAndBred
04-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Nolan was rollin' with 39 minutes and 16 points, starting last night in a loss. All those DNP's at the beginning of the season seem a long ways away now. :D

Billy Dat
04-19-2012, 10:15 PM
From ESPN Insider - Premium Content - briefly summarized to adhere to posting regs:

There's been a lot of debate about clutch play and coming up big down the stretch of tight games. One preliminary measure is who actually wants the ball in those moments. ESPN tried to do a statistical analysis and used difference in usage rate (the frequency that a player uses his team's possessions via shot, foul shot or turnover) when the scoring margin is within 5 points in the last 5 minutes of the game vs the rest of the time. In other words, who wants the ball and takes the big shots (not counting who actually makes said shots) in those big moments.

The 2011-2012 NBA leader? Kyrie Irving. He's made his fair share of those shots, too.

Unrelated observation - I knew the Bobcats stunk, but I didn't see until now that they'd lost 18 games in a row. That is horrendous. Poor Gerald. Apparently Paul Silas and Tyrus Thomas got in a locker room brawl this past weekend. Good times.

theAlaskanBear
04-20-2012, 07:49 AM
From ESPN Insider - Premium Content - briefly summarized to adhere to posting regs:

There's been a lot of debate about clutch play and coming up big down the stretch of tight games. One preliminary measure is who actually wants the ball in those moments. ESPN tried to do a statistical analysis and used difference in usage rate (the frequency that a player uses his team's possessions via shot, foul shot or turnover) when the scoring margin is within 5 points in the last 5 minutes of the game vs the rest of the time. In other words, who wants the ball and takes the big shots (not counting who actually makes said shots) in those big moments.

The 2011-2012 NBA leader? Kyrie Irving. He's made his fair share of those shots, too.

Unrelated observation - I knew the Bobcats stunk, but I didn't see until now that they'd lost 18 games in a row. That is horrendous. Poor Gerald. Apparently Paul Silas and Tyrus Thomas got in a locker room brawl this past weekend. Good times.

While it's dangerous to suggest that coaches should be allowed to be physical with players, I think I'm going to give Silas a pass. After getting their butt kicked on the court apparently Silas slammed Thomas into a locker because he was too friendly with the opposing team. Thats some old school right there. I'm torn because I can't condone violence in a coaching setting, but damn, the Bobcats suck...it would have been much better if a fellow player did it.

"Silas hates losing to the Celtics, and Paul was even angrier that he thought [Thomas] was acting buddy-buddy with some of their guys," one source said. "That's what got it going. But Paul was yelling at him over his salary, over what they have left to pay him. But it started with him saying, hey, he could live with the losing, but you're going to be buddy-buddy as they're beating your I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. too?"

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/4/18/2958226/tyrus-thomas-paul-silas-fight-locker-room-charlotte-bobcats

Duke NBA report:

Deng and Boozer both struggled at the Heat last night in what was a chippy, playoff intensity game. James Jones was ejected, there were two flagrant fouls , two sets of double technicals and just all around physicality. Boozer had 10pts on poor shooting, Deng had 11 on poor shooting. Rose did not play.

Dunleavy had 23 and 8reb in the Milwaukee loss. Grant Hill had a DNP. Dahntay was 0-4 with 2pts and 3reb in the Indiana win.

Playoff Picture:
With the loss MIL is now 3 back and out of the playoff picture for that last spot (but not technically eliminated), but PHX moved into the 8th spot in the west with the win by virtue of a division record tiebreaker with Utah. Should the standings stay as they are, you will have Deng, Boozer and Bulls as the 1 seed in the East. Battier and the Heat are the 2 seed with an outside chance of catching CHI for the 1. Dahntay Jones and the Pacers as the 3 seed. JJ, Duhon and the Magic as the 6 seed. Elton Brand and PHI are the 8 seed.

In the west, McRoberts and the Lakers are the 3 seed, and Hill and the Suns are a precarious 8 seed.

JBDuke
04-20-2012, 07:54 AM
While it's dangerous to suggest that coaches should be allowed to be physical with players, I think I'm going to give Silas a pass. After getting their butt kicked on the court apparently Silas slammed Thomas into a locker because he was too friendly with the opposing team. Thats some old school right there. I'm torn because I can't condone violence in a coaching setting, but damn, the Bobcats suck...it would have been much better if a fellow player did it.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/4/18/2958226/tyrus-thomas-paul-silas-fight-locker-room-charlotte-bobcats

Duke NBA report:

Deng and Boozer both struggled at the Heat last night in what was a chippy, playoff intensity game. James Jones was ejected, there were two flagrant fouls , two sets of double technicals and just all around physicality. Boozer had 10pts on poor shooting, Deng had 11 on poor shooting. Rose did not play.

Dunleavy had 23 and 8reb in the Milwaukee loss. Grant Hill had a DNP. Dahntay was 0-4 with 2pts and 3reb in the Indiana win.

Playoff Picture:
With the loss MIL is now 3 back and out of the playoff picture for that last spot (but not technically eliminated), but PHX moved into the 8th spot in the west with the win by virtue of a division record tiebreaker with Utah. Should the standings stay as they are, you will have Deng, Boozer and Bulls as the 1 seed in the East. Dahntay Jones and the Pacers as the 3 seed. JJ, Duhon and the Magic as the 6 seed. Elton Brand and PHI are the 8 seed.

In the west, McRoberts and the Lakers are the 3 seed, and Hill and the Suns are a precarious 8 seed.

Don't forget Shane and the Heat in the #2 spot in the East.

theAlaskanBear
04-20-2012, 08:00 AM

Fixed, thank you. Simple omission...im still in a hangover from binging on 6 hours of basketball last night. :o

elvis14
04-20-2012, 09:16 AM

Some of us are still trying to block out the fact that Shane is playing for the Heat (if I close my eyes hard enough and pull the covers over my head maybe that didn't really happen)

moonpie23
04-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Some of us are still trying to block out the fact that Shane is playing for the Heat (if I close my eyes hard enough and pull the covers over my head maybe that didn't really happen)

that doesn't count me...i LOVE that he's playing for the heat.....I think he will be an integral part to their (hopefully) title this year....

hq2
04-20-2012, 09:48 AM
that doesn't count me...i LOVE that he's playing for the heat.....I think he will be an integral part to their (hopefully) title this year....

Well, let's put it this way. The fact that Shane is on the team would make it a little easier to stomach if the Heat did win, especially if he made some significant contributions. He's been in the league more than 10 years, and deserves a chance to get a ring. Don't know about the rest.

Indoor66
04-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Well, let's put it this way. The fact that Shane is on the team would make it a little easier to stomach if the Heat did win, especially if he made some significant contributions. He's been in the league more than 10 years, and deserves a chance to get a ring. Don't know about the rest.

Those of us who live in South Florida are very sensitive to you HATERS. What have the Heat done? We love our Heat here. :cool::cool::cool:

theAlaskanBear
04-21-2012, 08:35 AM
The Rundown:

Kyrie led the Cavaliers to a close win over the surging NYK. Irving had 21pts to lead everyone in scoring but only 3ast. This was Amare's first game back and it looks like he has disrupted the teams rhythm a bit -- or maybe NYK wasn't as focused as they have clinched a playoff spot.

McRoberts played 18minutes and scored 5pts 4reb 2ast, but the Lakers were beat down by the Spurs. OUCH. I have never seen the Spurs offense so good. Popovich admitted that the team changed its philosophy a bit as they thought the league was becoming more offensive and they couldn't keep competing in the old Spurs style. Watch out, this team is GOOD. I watched them SHRED the Mavs in a must win for the Mavs.

Gerald Henderson had the best game of his career last night. 32pts on 12-24 for 50%. 2-3 3pt and 6-6 FT. He added 4ast and 3reb. Unfortunately the Bobcats still lost to the Memphis Grizzlies 85-80. Gerald has really started to step up on this miserable team, which is good, he has scored 20+ pts in last 3/4 games. If Kemba cand find a shooting and score a little more efficiently, they would have a good backcourt, if a bit undersized. G now has 13 games with 20+ points, and has been in the lineup for all of Charlottes wins, despite missing soem time and playing just 2 games in February.

JNort
04-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Those of us who live in South Florida are very sensitive to you HATERS. What have the Heat done? We love our Heat here. :cool::cool::cool:

Not all of us are haters here :cool:

I hope they win 5 or 6 of the next 7 titles. So happy Lebron left Cleveland for Miami.

jimsumner
04-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Not all of us are haters here :cool:

I hope they win 5 or 6 of the next 7 titles. So happy Lebron left Cleveland for Miami.

My hope is that Miami gets bounced in the first round but Shane gets an honorary NBA title ring because he's just such a nice guy.

loldevilz
04-21-2012, 03:34 PM
The Rundown:

Kyrie led the Cavaliers to a close win over the surging NYK. Irving had 21pts to lead everyone in scoring but only 3ast. This was Amare's first game back and it looks like he has disrupted the teams rhythm a bit -- or maybe NYK wasn't as focused as they have clinched a playoff spot.

McRoberts played 18minutes and scored 5pts 4reb 2ast, but the Lakers were beat down by the Spurs. OUCH. I have never seen the Spurs offense so good. Popovich admitted that the team changed its philosophy a bit as they thought the league was becoming more offensive and they couldn't keep competing in the old Spurs style. Watch out, this team is GOOD. I watched them SHRED the Mavs in a must win for the Mavs.

Gerald Henderson had the best game of his career last night. 32pts on 12-24 for 50%. 2-3 3pt and 6-6 FT. He added 4ast and 3reb. Unfortunately the Bobcats still lost to the Memphis Grizzlies 85-80. Gerald has really started to step up on this miserable team, which is good, he has scored 20+ pts in last 3/4 games. If Kemba cand find a shooting and score a little more efficiently, they would have a good backcourt, if a bit undersized. G now has 13 games with 20+ points, and has been in the lineup for all of Charlottes wins, despite missing soem time and playing just 2 games in February.

Gerald looks like he's turned into a pretty darn good NBA player. I'm still not sure he's a good number 1 option on a team but he'd be a nice number 2 option. He's certainly the only player on the bobcats that deserves to be an NBA starter. Hopefully they get Anthony Davis so they can start turning things around.

hq2
04-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Gerald looks like he's turned into a pretty darn good NBA player. I'm still not sure he's a good number 1 option on a team but he'd be a nice number 2 option. He's certainly the only player on the bobcats that deserves to be an NBA starter. Hopefully they get Anthony Davis so they can start turning things around.

If they get him in the lottery; not guaranteed by any means. And, since Michael Jordan isn't the best
G.M. around, who knows, he might not even pick him #1 if he did get it. As I recall, Michael was responsible for picking Kwame Brown #1 ten years ago (is he still playing for Charlotte now?).

So: are the Bobcats the worst NBA team of all time? I've seen 'em play, and boy are they bad.
The Celtics beat 'em with their (mediocre) second team. Too bad Gerald may have to have his name etched on the title "Team with worst winning percentage of all time".

COYS
04-21-2012, 06:04 PM

His defense has become really, really good, too. I think Gerald would be best on a team that already has a bunch of other scoring threats so that he can comfortably be a secondary (or lower) option on offense. His strength and athleticism easily make up for his somewhat short frame as NBA 2-guards go. Honestly, it's possible Gerald moves on deciding what crazy management decisions the Bobcats make as he enters his restricted and unrestricted free agency years.

theAlaskanBear
04-22-2012, 11:07 AM
NBA Roundup:

Got to watch some great games yesterday. PHX-DEN, CHI-DAL, and UTA-ORL which went to overtime. For the Suns, Hill sat out with an injury again, and the suns also lost Channing Frye during the game. They lost to Denver and now must travel to Utah (with whom they are a game back for 8th). A must win. Chicago played a close game with the Mavericks but pulled away at the very end as they worked to reincorporate Rose into the lineup. Deng led all scorers with 22pts on 4-7 from 3. Boozer had 12 and 10. Hubie Brown said that Thibs was very complementary toward Boozer in the pregame, talking about how he has been just what the team needed this season. Ironically, Boozer has been the iron-man for the Bulls, playing in every single game (per Hubie Brown). Redick had 15 points as the Magic took the Jazz to the wire, but they came up just short.

Games not TV:

Nolan had 8pts and 6ast in the loss to Memphis.
Elton Brand has a huge game - 20pts and 9reb in a 3 point win over the Pacers...critical game for PHI, who is trying to hang on to the last playoff spot.
Dahntay was a DNP in the aforementioned game.
Battier had a forgettable game as the Heat lost to the Wizards (no James, Bosh, or Wade).
Dunleavy shot poorly and finished with 2 buckets in the MIL win as they chase the 76ers (3 games back).

doctorhook
04-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Kyrie tearing up tonight at Memphis. 19 first half points and 3 assists against Mike Conley.

theAlaskanBear
04-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Kyrie tearing up tonight at Memphis. 19 first half points and 3 assists against Mike Conley.

Kyrie finished with 25pts adn 4ast.
Gerald had 19pts and 5reb.
Brand had 15pts and 6reb as they clinched the final Eastern Conference playoff spot.
Nolan had a solid game with 10pts 5ast and 6reb.
Dunleavy had 10pts and 7reb.
Dahntay had 6pts.

There are just two teams still searching for a playoff spot. PHX and UTA. They play each other tonight on TNT at 10:30. The Suns are a game back, but hold the tiebreaker with the Jazz.

I also must say I did not Kyrie to be this far along in his development. He is actually scoring more in the NBA than at college! 18pts 5ast and 4reb. Those are Tony Parker numbers in a rookie season...His 3pt% is almost 40% and his overall FG is up at 46%. He leads the Duke NBA in scoring and has scored 20+ pts in 27 games.

Anyone have thoughts on who Kyrie reminds you of RE: NBA PGs? In college everyone compared his ability to change pace to Chris Paul, is that still agreed upon doppelganger? Paul averaged 2 more assists per game, but that may have been a function of his team. It will be interesting to see how much Kyrie improves this offseason!

CameronBornAndBred
04-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Don't know if he will start tonight like he's done for the last two games, but either way, Lance Thomas will be spending his birthday suited up and playing in the NBA.

CameronBornAndBred
04-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Don't know if he will start tonight like he's done for the last two games, but either way, Lance Thomas will be spending his birthday suited up and playing in the NBA.

Cool..he did start, and played over 30 minutes in a birthday win.

DukieInBrasil
04-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Cool..he did start, and played over 30 minutes in a birthday win.

LT didn't have the flashiest of stats, in fact quite similar to his production at Duke. However, it seems LT has improved a lot as a passer, he had more assists last night (2) than he did his entire Fr. year at Duke (1)! Duke can't develop big men? Who predicted LT would be in the NBA (other than K)? Who predicted LT would start a game in the NBA? as a rookie? Couldn't possibly be that he developed as a player at Duke could it?
Other recent Duke bigs like Josh McRoberts, who is still in the show (and may get lots of PT re: LA's current situation), and Shelden Williams who was starting for the Nets prior to being sidelined with an injury. Too bad that Z had so many injuries, i bet he could have been a serviceable back-up C in the Show. i'd like to Artest try to bring down that mountain!

timmy c
04-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Two Duke players make SI's top 15 dirtiest players...

Gerald Henderson (#6) and Shane Battier (#13)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1204/nba.dirtiest.player/content.1.html?sct=nba_t11_a6

CameronBornAndBred
04-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Two Duke players make SI's top 15 dirtiest players...

Gerald Henderson (#6) and Shane Battier (#13)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1204/nba.dirtiest.player/content.1.html?sct=nba_t11_a6

What a stupid pictorial, at least they could bother taking a minute or two to write their reasoning with each players. Not only do G and Shane not deserve to be on that list, but probably over half don't. There is a big difference between being "dirty" and a tough competitor. Basketball is insanely physical, but because you fight hard for the points does not mean you play dirty. Now if you coldcock a guy after you dunk the ball......

COYS
04-25-2012, 12:38 PM
What a stupid pictorial, at least they could bother taking a minute or two to write their reasoning with each players. Not only do G and Shane not deserve to be on that list, but probably over half don't. There is a big difference between being "dirty" and a tough competitor. Basketball is insanely physical, but because you fight hard for the points does not mean you play dirty. Now if you coldcock a guy after you dunk the ball......

Funny, too, because if Dahntay had been on the list, it would be believable, as he's had a few high profile questionable plays, including that highly publicized trip of Kobe in the 2009 (I think) playoffs when he was still with Denver. Battier, dirty? Annoying, pesky, and relentless, perhaps, but not dirty.

phaedrus
04-25-2012, 03:20 PM

Well, it was based on a poll of over 100 NBA players, so it might be unwieldy to put together the reasoning.

While I agree there's a theoretical difference between being dirty and being a tough competitor, there's a fair amount of overlap. A dirty player is often merely a tough competitor if you happen to be lucky enough to have one on your squad.

In other Battier news, how about his characterization of LBJ:

"He is a global icon, a basket-ball monolith, the most prevalent and recognizable athlete of our generation," says Battier. "And he's one of a kind, because he's the first to rise to prominence in the Information Age, which is why he's such a fascinating sociological observation. He's accountable every single day for every single thing, from how he plays to what he tweets to what he says in the pre- and the postgame interviews. He has a camera and a microphone on him wherever he goes, and then when he [goes out to] dinner, there's a camera phone on him. This is what he signed up for. There is a price to pay. He understands that. But I don't think a lot of guys could handle it."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/04/24/lebron.james/index.html#ixzz1t57wMxAE

House G
04-25-2012, 08:22 PM
JJ lighting it up tonight against the Bobcats--16 first half points with 4/5 from beyond the arc.

pfrduke
04-25-2012, 08:29 PM
JJ lighting it up tonight against the Bobcats--16 first half points with 4/5 from beyond the arc.

Of course, playing the Bobcats is like playing against college competition again.

Bob Green
04-25-2012, 10:06 PM

JJ finished with a career high 31 points as Orlando defeated Charlotte 102-95.

mike88
04-25-2012, 10:06 PM
JJ finishes with 31 (6/10 from three point range)- a new career high- as the depleted Magic managed to hold off the inept Bobcats and secure the 6th seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs.

oldnavy
04-26-2012, 06:19 AM
JJ finishes with 31 (6/10 from three point range)- a new career high- as the depleted Magic managed to hold off the inept Bobcats and secure the 6th seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs.

Well that must make MJ happy as a lark!!! Got to love it when a Dukie sticks it to anything related to MJ!

flyingdutchdevil
04-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Well that must make MJ happy as a lark!!! Got to love it when a Dukie sticks it to anything related to MJ!

Everyone in the NBA stuck to MJ.

The Bobcats were horrendous this year - I feel really bad for Hendo...

hq2
04-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Of course, playing the Bobcats is like playing against college competition again.

Are you sure they're that good?

theAlaskanBear
04-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Question:

Does anyone in North Carolina get the Bobcats on their FOXsports affiliate? I have Fox Sports South but the games are NEVER televised despite it being scheduled programming. I assumed they blacked out all local games, but EVEN AWAY GAMES are not shown -- they usually just replay crap. I'm in mountains...

oh and I have Charter...so no issues with the DirectTV/Dish.

CameronBornAndBred
04-26-2012, 03:19 PM
they usually just replay crap.
And yet that is somehow still better than the Bobcats game. :rolleyes:

Acymetric
04-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Question:

Does anyone in North Carolina get the Bobcats on their FOXsports affiliate? I have Fox Sports South but the games are NEVER televised despite it being scheduled programming. I assumed they blacked out all local games, but EVEN AWAY GAMES are not shown -- they usually just replay crap. I'm in mountains...

oh and I have Charter...so no issues with the DirectTV/Dish.

I was wondering about this earlier in the season...I have Time Warner.

theAlaskanBear
04-26-2012, 07:21 PM
I was wondering about this earlier in the season...I have Time Warner.

I know that Dish and DirectTV are blacked out beyond 75miles because they refuse to pay the extended broadcasting fee, but I have heard nothing about Time Warner or Charter and FSS.

CameronBornAndBred
04-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Wow! Lance logged the most minutes of anyone on either team last night, with 46 in a loss to Houston. He totalled 11 points, 8 boards, 2 blocks, 1 steal...and in all that time only picked up 3 fouls. Sweet.

theAlaskanBear
04-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Wow! Lance logged the most minutes of anyone on either team last night, with 46 in a loss to Houston. He totalled 11 points, 8 boards, 2 blocks, 1 steal...and in all that time only picked up 3 fouls. Sweet.

Lance had a nice game! Good to see him get enough PT to get into the rhythm of games now.

Gerald and Nolan also had very nice nights -- G 21pts in a loss as Charlotte became the worst basketball team in history. Nolan had 16 and 7. Boozer had 9 pts in just 14 minutes in a win over the Cavs.

NBA Playoff Matchups!

In the East the #1 Bulls (Deng & Boozer) take on the #8 76ers (Brand). Starts Saturday at 1.
--the #2 Heat (Battier) take on the #7 Knicks. Saturday at 3:30.
--the #3 Pacers (Jones) take on the #6 Orlando (Redick and Duhon). Saturday at 7.

In the West the #3 Lakers (McRoberts) take on the #6 Denver Nuggets. Sunday at 3:30.

Reilly
04-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Lance had a nice game! Good to see him get enough PT to get into the rhythm of games now.

Gerald and Nolan also had very nice nights -- G 21pts in a loss as Charlotte became the worst basketball team in history. Nolan had 16 and 7. Boozer had 9 pts in just 14 minutes in a win over the Cavs.

NBA Playoff Matchups!

In the East the #1 Bulls (Deng & Boozer) take on the #8 76ers (Brand). Starts Saturday at 1.
--the #2 Heat (Battier) take on the #7 Knicks. Saturday at 3:30.
--the #3 Pacers (Jones) take on the #6 Orlando (Redick and Duhon). Saturday at 7.

In the West the #3 Lakers (McRoberts) take on the #6 Denver Nuggets. Sunday at 3:30.

In addition, former Duke players coaching in Atlanta (Bob Bender), Los Angeles (Quin Snyder), San Antonio (Chip Engelland) ... and in the front office in Memphis (Tony Barone)

... and aren't OK City and Boston owners from Duke?

... and two Duke parents are head coaches (Rivers and Collins).

Dukebuckets
04-27-2012, 12:30 PM
I feel like JJ could win 6th man of the year if he played with a contender. Playing for the Magic with garbage Nelson at point is hindering him from reaching Jason Terry like numbers and big shots. Magic are a dysfunctional bunch for sure, but JJ is exceeding expectations and continues to hit (duke)buckets!

PS - 1st post

DukeHB11
05-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Speaking of Blue Devils in the NBA...

Here's some old video I found the other day in my VHS collection.

Hurley and the gang turn it on big time midway through the game.

I still say that 1992 team was the best team ever.

They never lost when healthy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poYowPWshhY

hq2
05-07-2012, 04:03 PM
I still say that 1992 team was the best team ever.

They never lost when healthy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poYowPWshhY

Hands down.

Newton_14
05-07-2012, 09:44 PM
I feel like JJ could win 6th man of the year if he played with a contender. Playing for the Magic with garbage Nelson at point is hindering him from reaching Jason Terry like numbers and big shots. Magic are a dysfunctional bunch for sure, but JJ is exceeding expectations and continues to hit (duke)buckets!

PS - 1st post

And a fine first post at that. I agree. Welcome to the board! JJ has proven he can play and contribute on a good team. I really wish the Magic would have let him go to Chicago. If he can ever play on a good team with a good PG, teammates that have faith in him, and play with the confidence he played with in College, I think JJ has another gear he can show. When he is playing with full belief in himself, JJ is one of the best shooters in the world. I have often thought Boston would be a good fit for him as well.

One thing is for sure, JJ has proven all the doubters wrong.

Billy Dat
05-08-2012, 05:50 PM
And a fine first post at that. I agree. Welcome to the board! JJ has proven he can play and contribute on a good team. I really wish the Magic would have let him go to Chicago. If he can ever play on a good team with a good PG, teammates that have faith in him, and play with the confidence he played with in College, I think JJ has another gear he can show. When he is playing with full belief in himself, JJ is one of the best shooters in the world. I have often thought Boston would be a good fit for him as well.

One thing is for sure, JJ has proven all the doubters wrong.

I actually feel that JJ has reached his potential in the NBA. Aside from the train wreck that Orlando became in the second half of this year, he has had a very good run with them and they have been very good for a while. I think Stan Van Gundy was a great coach for him, they played a style that suited his talents to a T, and he has gotten plenty of playing time and played prominent minutes in the NBA Finals, and has been in 43 playoff games. I used to feel the way you did about his potential but I've watched tons of his games the last few years and really feel like he's not a featured player. He's an excellent role player who struggles when asked to be "the man". He could score more on a worse team, but I don't see him as a top 3 option on a playoff team. A top 5 option...yes.

Billy Dat
05-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Battier Still Going All Out for a Title
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/sports/basketball/shane-battier-is-still-chasing-a-title-with-the-heat.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1336662015-zkgEB3kR4ACjkm9ZMNs6Tw

Meal Jar
05-12-2012, 09:01 PM
While watching the last Heat game, I saw Battier draw a charge and hit a three-pointer. I smiled, and deep within my soul I whispered, "Who's your daddy, Battier!"

I was very pleased.

-Meal Jar

Kdogg
05-28-2012, 01:26 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread especially since the Bobcats are using the shotgun approach to hireing but it's good to see Quin's name in the mix.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7978588/sources-charlotte-bobcats-eye-brian-shaw-quin-snyder-interviews

UrinalCake
05-30-2012, 12:09 PM
The Draft Lottery is tonight. Anyone have any intel on which teams are high on Austin or Miles? I'd love to see Austin crack the lottery (everyone current projection I've seen has him safely there) and for Miles to get picked by someone.

CDu
05-30-2012, 12:59 PM
The Draft Lottery is tonight. Anyone have any intel on which teams are high on Austin or Miles? I'd love to see Austin crack the lottery (everyone current projection I've seen has him safely there) and for Miles to get picked by someone.

Actually, I won't be surprised if Rivers falls just outside of the lottery (in the 15-18 range). He's a bit undersized for his position. Guys like Beal, Ross, and Lamb will probably go ahead of him for teams needing a SG, and guys like Wroten and Waiters will likely go ahead of him for teams looking for a combo guard with scoring ability. The mock drafts are all over the map with Rivers (ranging from 8 to 23). But Chad Ford, who is as tuned in to the draft process as anybody, thinks Rivers will go in the 15-18 range.

I suspect Miles will go undrafted, but you just never know.

COYS
05-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Actually, I won't be surprised if Rivers falls just outside of the lottery (in the 15-18 range). He's a bit undersized for his position. Guys like Beal, Ross, and Lamb will probably go ahead of him for teams needing a SG, and guys like Wroten and Waiters will likely go ahead of him for teams looking for a combo guard with scoring ability. The mock drafts are all over the map with Rivers (ranging from 8 to 23). But Chad Ford, who is as tuned in to the draft process as anybody, thinks Rivers will go in the 15-18 range.

Chad Ford has Austin going to the T'Wolves. This seems like a good fit for him, as Kevin Love is a major talent and can space the floor while Ricky Rubio is a talented and big point guard, which will perhaps allow the slightly undersized Austin to switch off between SG and PG on defense and offense from time to time. The biggest question is how well Austin can play off the ball. If he can learn to play off the ball part of the time in a way similar to . . . say . . . Jason Terry, I think he can surprise people with how good he can be.

CDu
05-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Chad Ford has Austin going to the T'Wolves. This seems like a good fit for him, as Kevin Love is a major talent and can space the floor while Ricky Rubio is a talented and big point guard, which will perhaps allow the slightly undersized Austin to switch off between SG and PG on defense and offense from time to time. The biggest question is how well Austin can play off the ball. If he can learn to play off the ball part of the time in a way similar to . . . say . . . Jason Terry, I think he can surprise people with how good he can be.

I think Jason Terry is a great comp actually. Neither is great off the ball. Terry (when he was younger) was better defensively than Rivers, but Rivers is a bit taller and can play the SG spot more readily. But that's the type of role Rivers is best suited for - iso scorer. Unless Rivers gets better at the nuances of the game, he may actually be better suited as a sixth man than as a starter. That way he can have more free reign to run iso sets with the second unit.

hq2
05-31-2012, 07:39 PM

Probably; Shav did. I think most of the teams would likely just give him a chance to
play his way in, the way Shav did. He's actually a pretty good practice player and not
a bad rebounder, so you never know; some team that's short on the front line next
year may give him a 10-day.