PDA

View Full Version : DBR, please stop linking negative nonsense

Lord Ash
12-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Okay... Between the Onion article, which was far more a Duke bashing piece than anything funny, and now the link to that morons letter to the N&O, it would be appreciated if you maybe didn't bring attention to stuff that likely no one would notice and simply serves to irritate any intelligent Duke fan. Some stuff just isn't worth it.

moonpie23
12-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Okay... Between the Onion article, which was far more a Duke bashing piece than anything funny, and now the link to that morons letter to the N&O, it would be appreciated if you maybe didn't bring attention to stuff that likely no one would notice and simply serves to irritate any intelligent Duke fan. Some stuff just isn't worth it.

could someone please PM me the moron's link?

moonpie23
12-11-2011, 10:35 AM
nevermind - googlesearch turned up said moron. and others.

Lord Ash
12-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Sorry, should have linked it... front page of DBR...

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=43016

And that one irritates me more than anything... Duke students are among the best sports of ALL fans in sports, no question at ALL. Waking up to read some brainless drivel from some moron just annoys me.

EDIT: Ah sorry, I didn't see the thread for this. If a mod wants to combine them that would be lovely. Sorry!

uh_no
12-11-2011, 11:37 AM

And that one irritates me more than anything... Duke students are among the best sports of ALL fans in sports, no question at ALL. Waking up to read some brainless drivel from some moron just annoys me.

EDIT: Ah sorry, I didn't see the thread for this. If a mod wants to combine them that would be lovely. Sorry!

I think it often serves as a good reminding what duke is not and ought not to be. I always think of stories where opposing fans (and even parents of opposing players) can't go into an arena without having stuff (sodas, popcorn) tossed at them. Heck at UWV you get crap tossed at you even if you are a player. At cameron I always get the sense that there is the realization that the opponents are people, too. We're going to do everything in our power to make you lose: But we'll never go outside the lines and wish bodily harm on you, stoop to the level of attacking one of your family members, or in general, dehumanizing you.

Some people miss the point, and just want to attack duke, but I think even absolutely inaccurate letters such as this allow us to be introspective, since we have to recall to a prominent place of thought exactly what cheering for duke is all about in order to articulate exactly why he is wrong.

feldspar
12-11-2011, 11:45 AM
If the worst our fans are known for is being rather obnoxious, I call that a success in today's sports world.

uh_no
12-11-2011, 11:46 AM
If the worst our fans are known for is being rather obnoxious, I call that a success in today's sports world.

hey, at least we don't throw snow balls at santa claus! we cheer him!

killerleft
12-11-2011, 12:14 PM
hey, at least we don't throw snow balls at santa claus! we cheer him!

I agree with this post and this thread. Why give Robert Mills of Wilson the electronic ink? Well, since Robert Mills of Wilson was given the platform, may I further recognize him? Robert Mills (of Wilson), I say this to you (in addition to what I said in the other thread): Knee-jerk reactions by people whose statements seem to reveal them as primarily non-Duke fans who love to hate are taken with a big-ole box of salt.

P.S. - Please send barbeque, knowing I will let a Tar Heel fan taste it first to see if you've tried to poison me. Love the Whirly-Gig festival, by the way.

uh_no
12-11-2011, 12:17 PM
I agree with this post and this thread. Why give Robert Mills of Wilson the electronic ink? Well, since Robert Mills of Wilson was given the platform, may I further recognize him? Robert Mills (of Wilson), I say this to you (in addition to what I said in the other thread): Knee-jerk reactions by people whose statements seem to reveal them as primarily non-Duke fans who love to hate are taken with a big-ole box of salt.

P.S. - Please send barbeque, knowing I will let a Tar Heel fan taste it first to see if you've tried to poison me. Love the Whirly-Gig festival, by the way.

It reminds me greatly of the guy who wrote into the chronicle that the duke band was being racist. They were doing the beavis and butthead pull your shirt over your head and jump around, and the guy thought they were pretending to be gorillas, implying that the black guy on the opposing team shooting FTs was a gorilla.

It's not hard to take issue with someone's actions when you come in looking for something to criticize and then not spending the time to fully understand it.

killerleft
12-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Just so this thread will have some positve outcome to it, here are a couple of links to the whirligig thingy that is held in November of each year, in Wilson, NC.

http://www.wilsonwhirligigfestival.com/about-us

http://www.whatsonwilmington.com/event.php?id=7353

The original whirligigs are being moved from a rural location and are being reconditioned for display in the mentioned Wilson park. Some are the size of large billboards.

Hopefully, Robert Mills does not begrudge Vollis Simpson his notoriety, nor pooh-pooh Mr. Simpson's awards, which include the highest civilian honor that a North Carolinian can officially receive from the state. Take the high road, Mr. Mills.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vollis-Simpson-Whirligig-Park/125554707456573

DownEastDevil
12-11-2011, 01:38 PM
I am now concerned that Mr. Mills will find out that I am flying my Duke flag in the city he lives in. Hopefully my family will not be taken down to the town square and tortured for pulling for those Dastardly Devils from Durham. All jokes aside, I don't think it has any thing to do with the fans in Cameron, but just a true hatred for Coach K by all Tar Hole fans. I wish Mr. Mills could have been with me on my last trip to the Dean Dome while wearing my Duke shirt. He would have been proud of some of the words they use over at the Hole.

Ronnie (The Duke Fan) from Wilson

DU82
12-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Typical N&O. Print this stupid letter, with a picture of Coach K that isn't typical, and then don't print a single thing about the game that day against an NCAA tourney team that battled their favorites down the road to the end.

(actually, I think a big problem is that editorial control of the sports page is in Charlotte. Doesn't explain why we didn't have a preview, but they can print a large wire story about the UConn women's game.

loldevilz
12-11-2011, 08:05 PM

I second this. I don't go to IC for a reason and its to avoid Duke bashing. The last thing I want is to read Duke bashing links on a Duke board.

sagegrouse
12-11-2011, 08:55 PM

The mindless critics are also sightless -- they have never been to a game at Cameron. Numerous in-conference sources (Seth Greenberg among others) give the Duke students a lot of credit for keeping it clean. And more than one player has said, "it's really fun to play there."

sagegrouse

uh_no
12-11-2011, 09:45 PM
I second this. I don't go to IC for a reason and its to avoid Duke bashing. The last thing I want is to read Duke bashing links on a Duke board.

If you avoid any negativity you may miss some legitimate criticism every once in a while.

hurleyfor3
12-11-2011, 10:19 PM
If you avoid any negativity you may miss some legitimate criticism every once in a while.

Not if we're talking IC.

Lord Ash
12-11-2011, 10:46 PM

There is a difference, however, between bashing and negative nonsense and legitimate criticism. We see plenty of that, even here amongst Duke fans (maybe especially here, amongst Duke fans;) ) It is the mindless negative stuff that is spit out by so many Duke haters that I hate seeing get links on DBR.

gep
12-11-2011, 10:56 PM
There is a difference, however, between bashing and negative nonsense and legitimate criticism. We see plenty of that, even here amongst Duke fans (maybe especially here, amongst Duke fans;) ) It is the mindless negative stuff that is spit out by so many Duke haters that I hate seeing get links on DBR.

I don't like it either, but, unfortunately, that's the real world out there. Maybe good to be reminded that from time to time that it's out there... :( For me, I read DBR's one or two line summary (sometimes paragraphs), and don't click on the link, figuring that it's probably not worth the read.

loldevilz
12-12-2011, 12:32 AM

I challenge you to find one piece of legitimate criticism in those articles.

brevity
12-12-2011, 01:39 AM

If the irritation isn't worth it, you might find it less stressful if you do what I do: bookmark the Main Forum and never visit the home page. I'm blissfully unaware of what the DBR runners are writing on the home page unless someone starts a thread about it.

Since it's their site, they have a right to introduce what they want -- even if it would sometimes be worthy of infraction if we did the same on the forums. We, in turn, have a right to completely ignore them. The forums are their own entity.

feldspar
12-12-2011, 02:57 AM

It's never smart practice to equate the IC message boards with any sort of legitimacy. Those people are just straight bonkers.

RPS
12-12-2011, 08:33 AM
It's never smart practice to equate the IC message boards with any sort of legitimacy. Those people are just straight bonkers.
They are Carolina Crazy (http://tobaccoroadblues.com/2011/12/07/carolina-crazy/#more-2462).

hurleyfor3
12-12-2011, 09:43 AM
If the irritation isn't worth it, you might find it less stressful if you do what I do: bookmark the Main Forum and never visit the home page. I'm blissfully unaware of what the DBR runners are writing on the home page unless someone starts a thread about it.

Or one could join one of the echo-chamber bulletin boards where Duke is always perfect in every regard. I thought the point of attending a top-10 university in the first place was to have your worldview challenged and to learn how to maturely accept and respond to criticism, but I was Engineering, so what do I know.

Duvall
12-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Or one could join one of the echo-chamber bulletin boards where Duke is always perfect in every regard. I thought the point of attending a top-10 university in the first place was to have your worldview challenged and to learn how to maturely accept and respond to criticism, but I was Engineering, so what do I know.

Are we talking about criticism? I thought the complaint was about mindless hate.

Bostondevil
12-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Duke hating or not, why in the world did the N&O waste editorial page space on this letter? When I moved up to Boston from Durham, the Durham Morning Herald still existed. I never took the N&O. Has the N&O always been this lax in selecting letters to the editor? Publishing something like this makes the paper look just as ridiculous as Mr. Mills.

RPS
12-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Duke hating or not, why in the world did the N&O waste editorial page space on this letter? When I moved up to Boston from Durham, the Durham Morning Herald still existed. I never took the N&O. Has the N&O always been this lax in selecting letters to the editor? Publishing something like this makes the paper look just as ridiculous as Mr. Mills.
If being stupid precluded the publication of letters to the editor, very few would get published. Besides, I don't have any trouble distinguishing between a reader letter and an editorial. I could complain a lot about the N&O, but not about that (just like I wouldn't object to a radio talker based upon his or her callers or to a website or message board based upon their commenters -- except in a very general sense). In an extremely difficult business environment, reader comments are one way newspapers can actually garner readers and interest.

NovaScotian
12-12-2011, 03:15 PM

while i agree that the N&O letter was stupid and tiny, and drawing attention to it was not smart, the Onion article was actually quite well done. i think your refusal to see it as funny and instead see it as a "Duke bashing piece" reflects a poor understanding what kind of satire the Onion is in the business of and the inability to laugh at oneself.

diesel
12-12-2011, 04:37 PM
the Onion article was actually quite well done. i think your refusal to see it as funny and instead see it as a "Duke bashing piece" reflects a poor understanding what kind of satire the Onion is in the business of and the inability to laugh at oneself.

Nov Scotian captures my sentiments about the Onion article exactly. And I'm thinking of that show business axiom: to the effect that I don't care what you say in a review provided you spell my name right!

rfaison
12-12-2011, 10:32 PM
while i agree that the N&O letter was stupid and tiny, and drawing attention to it was not smart, the Onion article was actually quite well done. i think your refusal to see it as funny and instead see it as a "Duke bashing piece" reflects a poor understanding what kind of satire the Onion is in the business of and the inability to laugh at oneself.

Well said! I laughed out loud and didn't think it was bashing at all, just clever.

tele
12-12-2011, 10:42 PM

In general I agree in regard to the Onion and it's humor, it is usually harmless and at heart, senseless. But I did take exception to one aspect of the last Duke piece, I thought the photo looked photo shopped to lighten the players colors, that didn't strike me as funny. If it was done I'd say it was beyond the pale.

NovaScotian
12-17-2011, 06:22 PM
In general I agree in regard to the Onion and it's humor, it is usually harmless and at heart, senseless. But I did take exception to one aspect of the last Duke piece, I thought the photo looked photo shopped to lighten the players colors, that didn't strike me as funny. If it was done I'd say it was beyond the pale.

i appreciate your attempt at humor in that last sentence, but this is a pretty preposterous accusation.

http://mykeslist.com/news/duke-s-krzyzewski-breaks-record-for-wins-in-men-s-college-basketball/

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/excited-mike-krzyzewski-duke-squad-hasnt-been-this,26794/

Ima Facultiwyfe
12-18-2011, 12:51 AM

Since it's their site, they have a right to introduce what they want -- even if it would sometimes be worthy of infraction if we did the same on the forums. We, in turn, have a right to completely ignore them. The forums are their own entity.

Great idea. The "home" page used to be OUR "home" page before they sold out. It's been pointed out that nobody affiliated with Duke has a say in what goes on there now, why read it at all?
Love, Ima

-jk
12-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Great idea. The "home" page used to be OUR "home" page before they sold out. It's been pointed out that nobody affiliated with Duke has a say in what goes on there now, why read it at all?
Love, Ima

Julio still manages the content on the main page, and the same yahoos (that would be me and the rest of 'em) mod the board. So far, SB Nation has had a very hands-off management style. You can use the main page contact (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/contact/) link (at the top menu) if you want to send an email to Julian about something he posts. And, of course, you can post here or PM me about board issues.

-jk