PDA

View Full Version : Roshown McLeod Interview

watzone
07-19-2007, 11:10 AM
I had a chance to catch up with former Dukie, Roshown Mcleod for an interview during the Nike Peach Jam AAU event. He had some nice things to say about the program and speaks of what he is doing these days.

Roshown Mcleod Speaks (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2007/7/18/3103717.html)

sorry about the spellin' in the title. If a mod could change it to Mcleod, that would be great

KBCrazie
07-19-2007, 01:13 PM
If I did the math correctly, Roshown became a father just before he got to Duke. I don't recall hearing about his son or his "significant other" while he was a Blue Devil. Does anyone else recall this? Is his wife the mother of both of his kids?

happydays1949
07-19-2007, 02:20 PM
I don't remember how I knew, but he did have a baby before he attended Duke.

DevilAlumna
07-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Roshown was one of my favorite players while I was there; great to hear that he's doing as well as he is.

(K) had one scholarship and gave it to Joey Beard.

Ugh, to have that one back... imagine what Ro' could have done with 4 years of K's training instead of just two.

JBDuke
07-19-2007, 02:46 PM
I'll add my thanks, too, Watzone. Good to catch up with Roshown. One of my favorites, and master of the scowl! :-)

OZZIE4DUKE
07-19-2007, 04:39 PM
I don't remember how I knew, but he did have a baby before he attended Duke.

It wasn't a secret that Roshown had a son. No one dwelled on it, but it was mentioned on air a couple of times.

jimbonelson
07-19-2007, 04:56 PM
thanks for the info on him

VaDukie
07-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Does anyone else remember the stare he would give running down the court after he made a basket? He would always run down the court backwards and give this glare - I think he may be my Mom's favorite player for that look.

jma4life
07-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Good interview.

Sir Stealth
07-19-2007, 10:09 PM
I think Roshown McLeod will always be my favorite player and the '98 squad my favorite Duke team. As people have mentioned, his eyes going back down the court after nailing a stake through the heart of the opposing team with a clutch shot were the best. The '98 team was a truly dominant team that shouldn't be forgotten, and Ro was the best and most clutch player on that team.

cspan37421
07-20-2007, 10:50 AM
He was a huge help at a time when the program needed to rebound from the 3-15 finish in ... 96? Anyway is it still the case that Roshown is the only transfer K has ever taken? Not that he should take more ... I suppose it takes awhile to learn his system, so finding transfers are usually not even on his do-list. But R.M. really helped us. I was on a flight with him once, and he was proudly decked out in Duke apparel (sweats) and I think some sort of Duke duffel or hanging bag over his shoulder. I can't recall if he was still at Duke at the time.

RepoMan
07-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Anyway is it still the case that Roshown is the only transfer K has ever taken?

No. See D. Jones.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Anyway is it still the case that Roshown is the only transfer K has ever taken? Not that he should take more ... I suppose it takes awhile to learn his system, so finding transfers are usually not even on his do-list.

As mentioned above, Dahntay Jones also transferred to Duke. What should be noted is that both Roshown and Dahntay were heavily recruited by Coach K before erroneously deciding to go elsewhere. Once they realized the error of their ways, they came to Duke to fill obvious holes in the rotation.

VaDukie
07-20-2007, 05:24 PM
As mentioned above, Dahntay Jones also transferred to Duke. What should be noted is that both Roshown and Dahntay were heavily recruited by Coach K before erroneously deciding to go elsewhere. Once they realized the error of their ways, they came to Duke to fill obvious holes in the rotation.

Got me to thinking - if McLeod had been a freshmen on the 94 team...maybe we beat Arkansas...

Things like that make you wonder.

cspan37421
07-20-2007, 05:37 PM
I had forgotten that Dahntay had transferred. Rutgers I take it, thanks to google. (Rutgers did ring a bell, but barely - I remembered Roshown's transfer much more clearly). Sadly the #1 google link was to the site, truthaboutduke.com. Who is so consumed by envy and hatred that they run such a site? Apparently some Maryland fan. Can't say I'm surprised, actually. Klassy.

jma4life
07-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Jones was recruited by Coach K initially? How highly was he ranked back in the day as a high school senior. If I'm not mistaken, he was in the same class as Corey Maggete and they seem like similar players so was Jones somewhat of a backup option in case the Corey recruitment ended up in failure?

Also, I don't really know much about what goes into accepting transfers so does anyone know the process involved in getting Jones and Ro. Was Jason Williams' friendship with Jones a big factor in going after him or was it just because of a missed recruit or something.

jaimedun34
07-20-2007, 07:09 PM
jma, this is the only high school recruit information I could find in regards to Dahntay's ranking as a senior... Looks like he was ranked 91 overall in the 1998 class.

http://home.nc.rr.com/rsci/rsci100-98.TXT

nicktonyg22
07-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Roshown's scowl in the '98 senior day game (against unc of course) was just classic. I think he had just hit a big bucket with like 2 minutes left to pull us within two or so and the crowd got so fired up. I know he had 20-some points that game. He was definitely one of the most tenacious players we've had in the coach k era.

Bob Green
07-21-2007, 05:50 AM
Jones was recruited by Coach K initially? How highly was he ranked back in the day as a high school senior. If I'm not mistaken, he was in the same class as Corey Maggete and they seem like similar players so was Jones somewhat of a backup option in case the Corey recruitment ended up in failure?

Also, I don't really know much about what goes into accepting transfers so does anyone know the process involved in getting Jones and Ro. Was Jason Williams' friendship with Jones a big factor in going after him or was it just because of a missed recruit or something.

Based on my memory, Dahntay Jones really desired to play at Duke but he backed off after Maggete signed.

The Jason Williams connection was significant in D.J. transferring.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan