PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Indiana 73, (1) Kentucky 72

77devil
12-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Indiana giving Kentucky all it can handle. Hot 3 point shooting can offset a multitude of relative weaknesses.

DukieInBrasil
12-10-2011, 06:56 PM
up 9 mid-way through 2nd half. Only up 1 at half.

davekay1971
12-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Interesting day of hoops developing. Goes to show the unpredictability and parity of college hoops, not to mention the blessing of home field. I was very interested to see Kansas take down Ohio State. Now Indiana is solidly leading UK. Indiana is much improved this year, but obviously this would still be a big upset.

mkline09
12-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Just shows you how hard it is to go into an opposing team's gym and win. Granted OSU didn't have Sullinger today, but in the case of Indiana and Kentucky, they are both at full strength.

Really impressed with Indiana. They look like a really good team. Great to see Assembly Hall rocking again. Great for college basketball. Shows that a good team can beat a group of more talented players. Hope the Hoosiers keep it up.

juise
12-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Um. Wow.

77devil
12-10-2011, 07:28 PM
OMG. What a finish. Mental error, Kentucky should have fouled. Glad they didn't.

Kdogg
12-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Wow, those IU kids are really excited that UK won. (75-70? ESPN)

1 24 90
12-10-2011, 07:30 PM
I had forgotten that Kentucky only had 5 team fouls. They really blew it by not fouling.

Good for IU and the new #1 Syracuse.

hurleyfor3
12-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Apparently indiana's last win over a #1 had been in the 2002 sweet 16.

tbyers11
12-10-2011, 07:34 PM
OMG. What a finish. Mental error, Kentucky should have fouled. Glad they didn't.

Yeah Calipari was asking someone on his team why they didn't foul as he was walking to shake Crean's hand. So the coach told them to foul but they didn't get it done

Underdog5
12-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Why is it good strategy to put Indiana on the line to tie the game?

1 24 90
12-10-2011, 07:38 PM

Kentucky was under the limit so there would have been no free throws.

juise
12-10-2011, 07:40 PM

Somebody posted earlier that UK only had 5 team fouls, so giving a foul would not have resulted in free throws as long as the Indiana player wasn't in the act of shooting.

Underdog5
12-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Somebody posted earlier that UK only had 5 team fouls, so giving a foul would not have resulted in free throws as long as the Indiana player wasn't in the act of shooting.

...but someone just tried this in a game within the last week or so and lost by a player shooting 3 free throws.

But at least I understand the strategy. Thanks.

hurleyfor3
12-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Attention Kentucky: When a guy named Christian is taking a last-second shot, try to guard him better.

1 24 90
12-10-2011, 07:46 PM
In looking at the play by play, Kentucky only had 4 team fouls with 5.6 seconds to go. They should have fouled the guy driving to the basket who eventually passed it out for the game winner. Of course, you do run the risk of the player throwing up their arms pretending they're in the shooting motion and getting the call.

wilko
12-10-2011, 07:48 PM
I didn't catch ALL of this game only about the last 16min. Like most others I expected UK to win.
What was the deal with T.Jones... the common-taters (talking-heads) mentioned he wasn't in the game.

Was he injured or something else? Was he having a spat with Cal? Anyone have any clue?

77devil
12-10-2011, 07:51 PM
In looking at the play by play, Kentucky only had 4 team fouls with 5.6 seconds to go. They should have fouled the guy driving to the basket who eventually passed it out for the game winner. Of course, you do run the risk of the player throwing up their arms pretending they're in the shooting motion and getting the call.

Actually, I would have instructed to foul before Indiana crossed the half court line to stop forward momentum and force use of time on another inbounds pass.

Newton_14
12-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Attention Kentucky: When a guy named Christian is taking a last-second shot, try to guard him better.

Ha. Good one Hurley!

Great finish. Could not have been a better ending. I agree with the poster above who stated it is great to see Assembly Hall rocking again. Call me Ol-Fashioned, but I like it when the historical powers have good programs. The more the better. NC State missed out on a great chance to beat IU earlier this year and help their RPI, but State seems to be much improved too and give IU's win today, it should show State they can play with anybody.

I am not a huge fan of Crean but I do like IU due to The General, and glad to see them knock off Kentucky. The storm the court scene out there looked dangerous though. I feared the UK kids were going to get trampled on and possibly hurt. That was wild.

devildeac
12-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Apparently indiana's last win over a #1 had been in the 2002 sweet 16.

Grrr.....

Yea, we blew a nice sized lead in that one but Boozer was still fouled...:mad:

(I hope my memory is correct:o.)

Newton_14
12-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Grrr.....

Yea, we blew a nice sized lead in that one but Boozer was still fouled...:mad:

(I hope my memory is correct:o.)

The lead was 16 and Boozer was fouled... intentionally at that... per the guy that fouled him. Matt Christenson is still trying to chase down a certain former Braves catcher.... I shall name no names...

devildeac
12-10-2011, 08:02 PM
The lead was 16 and Boozer was fouled... intentionally at that... per the guy that fouled him. Matt Christenson is still trying to chase down a certain former Braves catcher.... I shall name no names...

Nice guy. Rub a little more gravel into the wound that hurleyfor3 already opened up. BTW, you forgot the word "incompetent" between former and Braves:rolleyes:.

Newton_14
12-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Nice guy. Rub a little more gravel into the wound that hurleyfor3 already opened up. BTW, you forgot the word "incompetent" between former and Braves:rolleyes:.

Blind, def, and all that!

Was just confirming your memory is stout!

I definitely got fouled on that play! (Signed Newton "formerly known as Boozer" 14)

mkline09
12-10-2011, 08:12 PM
What a great game. The only thing that could have made that ending better is a cross court pass to Zeller at the free throw line for the game winner. But Kentucky still got Laettner'd by IU.

DevilOfATime
12-10-2011, 08:14 PM
All I can say is WOW! Being a Lifetime Duke fan living in Indiana. I was rooting for IU, and Coach Crean. I know IU and the alumni wanted him gone for years now. I thought it was a great hire when IU hired him a few years back. But he needed time to rebuild the program, and I knew it would take him sometime. I am glad to see IU getting back on top and back to be the powerhouse as they once were. Not an IU fan, but I am a Coach Crean fan and I have total respect for him as a person and a coach. He does great things for Bloomington and the state of Indiana.So happy that his team beat the cheaters tonight in thriller. Good for them, good for the IU fans they deserved it, it has been a very long road for their fans and their program. Glad to see they are coming back ontop as a powerhouse and a powerhouse in the Big Ten. Watch out for IU for years to come now.

Bob Green
12-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Was he injured or something else? Was he having a spat with Cal? Anyone have any clue?

I have no idea what was (is) going on with Jones but he wasn't hurt. Whether in the game or on the bench his body language was horrible. He looked out of it with a blank stare on his face. In the game, he played with zero energy. I hope everything is okay with him.

Saratoga2
12-10-2011, 08:26 PM
All I can say is WOW! Being a Lifetime Duke fan living in Indiana. I was rooting for IU, and Coach Crean. I know IU and the alumni wanted him gone for years now. I thought it was a great hire when IU hired him a few years back. But he needed time to rebuild the program, and I knew it would take him sometime. I am glad to see IU getting back on top and back to be the powerhouse as they once were. Not an IU fan, but I am a Coach Crean fan and I have total respect for him as a person and a coach. He does great things for Bloomington and the state of Indiana.So happy that his team beat the cheaters tonight in thriller. Good for them, good for the IU fans they deserved it, it has been a very long road for their fans and their program. Glad to see they are coming back ontop as a powerhouse and a powerhouse in the Big Ten. Watch out for IU for years to come now.

I was pleased that Indiana pulled this one out, especially since I really question Calipari's ethics as a coach. I do respect the Kentucky players. Several were very impressive and I thought Teague has the quickness to be a great penetrator. Indiana's lead evaporated when he ppenetrated and scored numerous times while Indiana missed their shots. Great IU could hit the winner. Excellent game for them and it understanable that the young Kentucky players may have been impacted by the crowd noise.

Who goes to first, Syracuse?

dcdevil2009
12-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Our free throw shooting has been bad this year, but at least we have made them when it counts. How many times is a Calipari coached team going to lose a close game because of poor free throw shooting at the end of the game? Hopefully they've got another choke job left for the tournament after blowing this one at the line.

Steven43
12-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Although I'm usually happy anytime Kentucky loses (unless they're playing UNC), I'm not sure I want to see the sleeping giant of Indiana basketball awaken.

moonpie23
12-10-2011, 09:38 PM
ummm....can we please not say "team going to lose a close game because of poor free throw shooting at the end of the game? "

it gives me the hebeejeebees

KYtotheCore
12-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Today, 07:43 PM#15

hurleyfor3

"Attention Kentucky: When a guy named Christian is taking a last-second shot, try to guard him better."

K = 3 * 7 * 43

No Kidding . . .

killerleft
12-10-2011, 10:06 PM
ummm....can we please not say "team going to lose a close game because of poor free throw shooting at the end of the game? "

it gives me the hebeejeebees

I think it's time somebody makes Mason wear a garter belt during the games. He's improved way too much to let those pesky free throws bring him down.

uh_no
12-10-2011, 10:56 PM
I'd like to compliment Tom Crean on his drawing up of the last play.....to have the point drive the lane and then kick it back to the shooter coming in behind him.....everyone on the UK team thought they were coming in for 2 and IU (UI?) had a wide open catch and shoot.....

I'll say this: calipari is a very good recruiter and has been good at managing talent, but is NOT a good in game coach....if he were, they may have 3 titles right now (before vacations)....what always sticks out for me is 4-32 3pt against UWV 2 years ago.....i understand a shooting team having a bad night....but they're not a shooting team and shot 0-20 in the first half.....DUKE never takes 20 threes in a half and its often our bread and butter.....to be unable to correct that at game time? that's just one example.....when push comes to shove in the latter stages of the tourney....he can't get wins out of his team that other great coaches have....

UrinalCake
12-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Actually, I would have instructed to foul before Indiana crossed the half court line to stop forward momentum and force use of time on another inbounds pass.

The problem with that is you give them time to set up a play, this time starting from farther down the court. I think you want to keep the clock running until Indiana gets into more of a "scoring position."

From a Duke perspective, we should see this as a warning for what can happen if you miss free throws. Kentucky had plenty of chances to seal it at the line and didn't close the deal.

JasonEvans
12-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Yeah Calipari was asking someone on his team why they didn't foul as he was walking to shake Crean's hand. So the coach told them to foul but they didn't get it done

Having a team that understands how to listen and take instruction is part of coaching. Anyone can yell at the kids and not have them hear. If they failed to execute an obvious part of the game plan part of it falls on them, but part of it falls on the coaching staff for not conveying the strategy better.

-Jason "I never miss a chance to take a shot at Cal, do I? ;) " Evans

uh_no
12-11-2011, 12:28 AM
Having a team that understands how to listen and take instruction is part of coaching. Anyone can yell at the kids and not have them hear. If they failed to execute an obvious part of the game plan part of it falls on them, but part of it falls on the coaching staff for not conveying the strategy better.

I think this criticism is perfectly valid. He's a great recruiter, no doubt, but average at best of an in game coach.....and his practice coaching seems to be mostly managing egos

shoutingncu
12-11-2011, 01:58 AM

-Jason "I never miss a chance to take a shot at Cal, do I? ;) " Evans

Wait... are you saying that a team can foul with only five seconds left?

-Shouting "Are you sure you're taking a shot only at Cal?" NCU

Either that... OR GUARD THE FREAKIN' BASELINE. Will they never learn?

JStuart
12-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Should he breathe through his eyelids, too?

I think it's time somebody makes Mason wear a garter belt during the games. He's improved way too much to let those pesky free throws bring him down.

killerleft
12-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Should he breathe through his eyelids, too?

It definitely worked for Meat!:p