PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Indoor Stadium help please!!!!

jayzon
12-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Hi everyone, I am surprising my wife (who is a diehard Duke basketball fan!) by taking her to a game. The only one we can make it to is the one on the 19th vs. Greensboro. I have been racking my brain trying to figure everything out!!! I have never been to Cameron Stadium so I have a few questions...The GA admission seats in section 17, can you sit down or do you stand the whole game? Also, is it pretty much whoever gets there first gets the better seats, or do you at least have a designated row? Are there really any bad areas to sit, or can't see well? My problem is that we will be driving 4 hrs to get there, so I don't really want to rely on finding tickets at the Stadium. I am going to have to buy them in advance from the internet...and they are EXPENSIVE! I don't know what else to do!? I want to get good seats for her, but not go broke at the same time too! Any advice would help! Thank you so much!

KenTankerous
12-08-2011, 06:44 PM
I did the same thing a few years back for my ladylove. The visit to Cameron changed my life. And I am a lifelong Kentucky fan. Spend the money, trust me, you'll make more money, but you will never ever again get to go to Cameron for the first time.

GA tickets are in the student section, you will be standing the whole game except at half-time. And you will friggin' LOVE IT!!!

jayzon
12-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Thats awesome, I can't wait! So section 17 is the way to go for our first time? So its not a student only section?

DueBlevil
12-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Thats awesome, I can't wait! So section 17 is the way to go for our first time? So its not a student only section?

It normally is students only, but the Greensboro game falls during winter break; you will see many other non-students in that section for that game.

jayzon
12-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Ok thanks, I didn't want to buy tickets, get there, then find out I had to be a student to get in . Do all the games typically sell out? Also is it going to be difficult to get near center court? Not necessarily first row or anything, just don't want to be in the far corners. Sorry about all the questions, I just really want to make this special for her!

OldPhiKap
12-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Ok thanks, I didn't want to buy tickets, get there, then find out I had to be a student to get in . Do all the games typically sell out? Also is it going to be difficult to get near center court? Not necessarily first row or anything, just don't want to be in the far corners. Sorry about all the questions, I just really want to make this special for her!

The game will be a sell-out, there are a few who may not make the game though due to the fact that it falls over break.

If it's first come first served, the earlier you get there the better seat you'll get. I think "Section 17" is defined as one whole side of the student section (not sure if it's behind the bench or across from it) but it stretches from corner to corner. Someone probably knows better than me, but I think that's the case.

Have a blast. Cheer loud. Join in the fun. There should still be enough students (and certainly enough alum) at the game to get some good chants going.

Rock the house, my friend!

-- OPK

uh_no
12-08-2011, 09:40 PM
The game will be a sell-out, there are a few who may not make the game though due to the fact that it falls over break.

If it's first come first served, the earlier you get there the better seat you'll get. I think "Section 17" is defined as one whole side of the student section (not sure if it's behind the bench or across from it) but it stretches from corner to corner. Someone probably knows better than me, but I think that's the case.

Have a blast. Cheer loud. Join in the fun. There should still be enough students (and certainly enough alum) at the game to get some good chants going.

Rock the house, my friend!

-- OPK

its across from the benches, and is the whole side. there is no real "bad seat except for right on the end in the front rows....i've been in the top row in the corner and enjoyed the game.....but seeing as this isn't the carolina game, showing up reasonably early (and you'll probably want to get there at least an hour early just for the pregame experience.....,and to heckle the opponents of course ;P ) should get you amazing seats

Kimist
12-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Section 17 is the area that is directly across from the team benches, i.e. the same area that is seen on most TV full court views.

sagegrouse
12-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Section 17 is the area that is directly across from the team benches, i.e. the same area that is seen on most TV full court views.

Aaahhhh....! You'll have a chance to follow a cherished Duke tradition. You too can be a "MEDIA SLUT" -- just wear an outlandish Duke costume and act like an idiot. Good luck!

sage

Native
12-09-2011, 12:13 AM

It won't be too difficult. Most of the students I've talked to are leaving before the game anyway to go home. Doors for students open 1 1/2 hours before tip, but if you're wanting front row center seats it's advisable to arrive a little earlier than that.

Hope you're ready to get loud with us!

uh_no
12-09-2011, 12:16 AM
It won't be too difficult. Most of the students I've talked to are leaving before the game anyway to go home. Doors for students open 1 1/2 hours before tip, but if you're wanting front row center seats it's advisable to arrive a little earlier than that.

Hope you're ready to get loud with us!

be prepared to get cozy with some press guys at front row center!

-bdbd
12-09-2011, 12:39 AM
Hi everyone, I am surprising my wife (who is a diehard Duke basketball fan!) by taking her to a game. The only one we can make it to is the one on the 19th vs. Greensboro. I have been racking my brain trying to figure everything out!!! I have never been to Cameron Stadium so I have a few questions...The GA admission seats in section 17, can you sit down or do you stand the whole game? Also, is it pretty much whoever gets there first gets the better seats, or do you at least have a designated row? Are there really any bad areas to sit, or can't see well? My problem is that we will be driving 4 hrs to get there, so I don't really want to rely on finding tickets at the Stadium. I am going to have to buy them in advance from the internet...and they are EXPENSIVE! I don't know what else to do!? I want to get good seats for her, but not go broke at the same time too! Any advice would help! Thank you so much!

Have you tried the "Ticket Exchange" message boards on this website? Usually you can get upper-level (assigned) individual seats from a season ticket holder who is going out of town that week/day (and actually sit part of the game). Try to also get over and see the Duke BB Hall of Fame next door too.

Enjoy!

Freethrw33
12-09-2011, 01:41 AM
My suggestion for the standing section is just be absolutely sure not to end up at tip-off behind two really tall people.

Also, I knew a few students who stopped going to games because they were shorter (<5'3" or so) and often had a blocked view. Thus, if shorter, more important to get there earlier to ensure a good view.

Not advisable for a kid to be in the student section for instance, since the view will be completely blocked

Have fun!

jayzon
12-09-2011, 07:08 AM
Great info! Thanks everyone! We will definitely get there early. I don't mind standing the whole game..will probably be too excited to sit down anyways! I'm still trying for the game on the friday the 30th so I won't have to take two days off work, but its looking like its going to be the Greensboro game...either way I'm STOKED!..and my wife is going to have a heart attack when she finds out! Any recommended hotels near the Stadium?...and/or local cuisine that is a must try?

sagegrouse
12-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Great info! Thanks everyone! We will definitely get there early. I don't mind standing the whole game..will probably be too excited to sit down anyways! I'm still trying for the game on the friday the 30th so I won't have to take two days off work, but its looking like its going to be the Greensboro game...either way I'm STOKED!..and my wife is going to have a heart attack when she finds out! Any recommended hotels near the Stadium?...and/or local cuisine that is a must try?

Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club -- given all the trouble you are going to. A very, very classy hotel and only a ten-minute walk (five?) from Cameron.

Durham is full of interesting dining options. The NY Times has had a number of articles on Durham dining in the past 12-18 months. You may be able to get to them for free. Don't eat too much before the game!

sage

KenTankerous
12-09-2011, 02:38 PM
I strongly second the Washington Duke! It is expensive but again, you'll earn more money eventually. I've stayed at Four Seasons, Mark Hopkins and St. Regis, the WaDuke is better. It's a great little five minute walk to Cameron and if you are lucky, like we were, you might even meet a player and his family after the game! (Jon Scheyer, his Mom, Dad and Aunt!)

gam7
12-09-2011, 02:42 PM
I strongly second the Washington Duke! It is expensive but again, you'll earn more money eventually. I've stayed at Four Seasons, Mark Hopkins and St. Regis, the WaDuke is better. It's a great little five minute walk to Cameron and if you are lucky, like we were, you might even meet a player and his family after the game! (Jon Scheyer, his Mom, Dad and Aunt!)

And have an opportunity to break some NCAA rules by offering them a free meal!

KenTankerous
12-09-2011, 03:55 PM
<<Raises hand, hangs head>>

guilty

jayzon
12-09-2011, 06:09 PM
BOOMSHAKALAKA! Got my tickets (section 17) for the game on the 30th (i don't have to take two days off from work now, just one, I love my supervisor!) against Western Michigan! I also reserved a room at the Washington Duke Inn! I can't wait! Thank you everyone for the info!

jayzon
12-10-2011, 07:36 PM
I posted a question earlier this week and received some very helpful info. Thanks to all for the info! I am inquiring on the local cuisine...my wife and I are traveling for a game on the 30th of December (1st time at Cameron!). I need suggestions on some local restaurants..I have done a lil research, but the locals are always the best critics! Thanks!

roquin
12-10-2011, 07:57 PM
I am a current Ph.D. at Duke - married at the Chapel over the summer. The wife and I put together a small restaurant list for our out of town guests. I'm haven't provided any rankings here, but I think you'll be surprised how well Durham represents in terms of culinary prowess! Perhaps more folks can chime in with additional suggestions, and you can pick & choose (consult yelp!).

Ninth Street & Broad Street

Cosmic Cantina – burritos & other mexican fare. open super late. we love it!!
Bean Trader’s - a straight-up coffee shop.
Broad Street Café - lots of live music
Chubby’s Tacos – conveniently located tacos & other mexican fare.
Dain’s Place - Dain is cool, has a a good selection of beer, and you can get things like “tots on fire”
Elmo’s Diner – it’s a diner! and as a result, a great place for a basic breakfast.
Francesca’s Dessert Cafe – dessert and coffee shop. usually has a few vegan options. and they make their own ice cream!
Mad Hatter’s Bake Shop - good for both brunch and lunch. and coffee. and delicious cakes.
Magnolia Grill – one of the best restaurants in the country (really!)
Ox & Rabbit – soda and sundries, as they say. also, great milkshakes!
Locopops – the most delicious popsicles you will ever have.
Vin Rouge – classic french. they do a $25 prix fixe that is well worth it. also, the chocolate mousse is awesome.
Watt’s Grocery – fancy and delish!

Downtown Durham

Rue Cler – classy & french. the beignets from their bakery are delicious.
Dos Perros – classy & mexican.
The Federal – a good place for a casual dinner and drinks. also, a killer burger. and amazing fries.
Ninth Street Bakery – it’s a little bit hidden, but worth finding for their cinnamon buns! they also have sandwiches and such available at lunchtime.
Piedmont -classy & italian. open for dinner, but also good for brunch on the weekend — and right near the farmer’s market.
Toast – delicious paninis and other italian lunch-time delicacies.
Whiskey – fancy drinks, nice atmosphere. also, no undergrads allowed (!)

Brightleaf Square

Parker & Otis – adorable atmosphere, sandwiches and such. they also serve breakfast, and a great place to shop for foodie gifts, too.
Piazza Italia – basic italian fare, but their homemade pasta makes it a bit special.
Satisfaction Restaurant & Bar – a sports bar of sorts.

American Tobacco Campus

Mellow Mushroom – pretty good pizza!
Tobacco Road Sports Cafe – it’s a fancified sports bar (that is actually across the street….) the food is decent and the portions are HUGE.
Tyler’s Taproom – basic bar food with a decent selection of beers. plenty of outdoor seating!

Elsewhere in Durham

Guglhupf - our fave brunch spot! cool atmosphere, European food
Only Burger – delicious burgers! (sort of like a local version of Five Guys)
Cook-Out – it’s not exactly good for you, but it’s kind of amazing. for $4.25 you can get a burger, a corn dog and chicken nuggets. no joke. plus, it’s open really late. we go for the milkshakes - any mix-in you could want!
Local Yogurt – tangy frozen yogurt with your choice of toppings!
La Vaquita – the place to go for tacos, hands down. there's a cow on the roof!
Fullsteam - a local brewery that has ping pong tables and a food truck that is always stationed outside

BBQ

Bullock’s BBQ
Hog Heaven Bar-B-Q
The Q Shack
Allen & Sons
Dillard’s Bar-B-Q
The Pit (Raleigh)

Newton_14
12-10-2011, 08:09 PM
I am a current Ph.D. at Duke - married at the Chapel over the summer. The wife and I put together a small restaurant list for our out of town guests. I'm haven't provided any rankings here, but I think you'll be surprised how well Durham represents in terms of culinary prowess! Perhaps more folks can chime in with additional suggestions, and you can pick & choose (consult yelp!).

Ninth Street & Broad Street

Cosmic Cantina – burritos & other mexican fare. open super late. we love it!!
Bean Trader’s - a straight-up coffee shop.
Broad Street Café - lots of live music
Chubby’s Tacos – conveniently located tacos & other mexican fare.
Dain’s Place - Dain is cool, has a a good selection of beer, and you can get things like “tots on fire”
Elmo’s Diner – it’s a diner! and as a result, a great place for a basic breakfast.
Francesca’s Dessert Cafe – dessert and coffee shop. usually has a few vegan options. and they make their own ice cream!
Mad Hatter’s Bake Shop - good for both brunch and lunch. and coffee. and delicious cakes.
Magnolia Grill – one of the best restaurants in the country (really!)
Ox & Rabbit – soda and sundries, as they say. also, great milkshakes!
Locopops – the most delicious popsicles you will ever have.
Vin Rouge – classic french. they do a $25 prix fixe that is well worth it. also, the chocolate mousse is awesome.
Watt’s Grocery – fancy and delish!

Downtown Durham

Rue Cler – classy & french. the beignets from their bakery are delicious.
Dos Perros – classy & mexican.
The Federal – a good place for a casual dinner and drinks. also, a killer burger. and amazing fries.
Ninth Street Bakery – it’s a little bit hidden, but worth finding for their cinnamon buns! they also have sandwiches and such available at lunchtime.
Piedmont -classy & italian. open for dinner, but also good for brunch on the weekend — and right near the farmer’s market.
Toast – delicious paninis and other italian lunch-time delicacies.
Whiskey – fancy drinks, nice atmosphere. also, no undergrads allowed (!)

Brightleaf Square

Parker & Otis – adorable atmosphere, sandwiches and such. they also serve breakfast, and a great place to shop for foodie gifts, too.
Piazza Italia – basic italian fare, but their homemade pasta makes it a bit special.
Satisfaction Restaurant & Bar – a sports bar of sorts.

American Tobacco Campus

Mellow Mushroom – pretty good pizza!
Tobacco Road Sports Cafe – it’s a fancified sports bar (that is actually across the street….) the food is decent and the portions are HUGE.
Tyler’s Taproom – basic bar food with a decent selection of beers. plenty of outdoor seating!

Elsewhere in Durham

Guglhupf - our fave brunch spot! cool atmosphere, European food
Only Burger – delicious burgers! (sort of like a local version of Five Guys)
Cook-Out – it’s not exactly good for you, but it’s kind of amazing. for $4.25 you can get a burger, a corn dog and chicken nuggets. no joke. plus, it’s open really late. we go for the milkshakes - any mix-in you could want!
Local Yogurt – tangy frozen yogurt with your choice of toppings!
La Vaquita – the place to go for tacos, hands down. there's a cow on the roof!
Fullsteam - a local brewery that has ping pong tables and a food truck that is always stationed outside

BBQ

Bullock’s BBQ
Hog Heaven Bar-B-Q
The Q Shack
Allen & Sons
Dillard’s Bar-B-Q
The Pit (Raleigh)
Bob's Barbecue (Hwy 56, Creedmoor, 20 minutes from CIS)

Great list! Added a cue place to make it even better!

jayzon
12-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Awesome roquin! Thanks for the reply!

jayzon
12-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Magnolia Grill seems to be really popular with the searches I did, I see its also on your list! That may be one of our stops! If it came down to only one place...where would you go?

devildeac
12-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Magnolia Grill seems to be really popular with the searches I did, I see its also on your list! That may be one of our stops! If it came down to only one place...where would you go?

We have not been there in a few years, but, if this place is still open, I'd make my reservation here:

http://www.foursquarerestaurant.com/menus/November_2011.html

Lid
12-10-2011, 11:47 PM
We have not been there in a few years, but, if this place is still open, I'd make my reservation here:

http://www.foursquarerestaurant.com/menus/November_2011.html

Definitely still open, and our favorite place for a special dinner. Personally, I'd recommend Four Square or Nana's over Mag Grill any day. Magnolia Grill's food is good and desserts are excellent, but in my experience, you pay for it with pretty obnoxious service. YMMV.

Olympic Fan
12-10-2011, 11:58 PM
If you are going to eat just one meal, ity depends on what you are looking for ... for fine dining, the Magnolia Gill is great.

But for a classic Duke experience, I'd still recommend Bullocks. It's just off Hillsborough Road, about five minute from Cameron (by car). It's the classic Durham BBQ joint for more than half a century. A very large menu of Southern favorites, but famous for the que -- Eastern NC pulled pork. Personally, I like the sliced pork ... very reasonably priced. Duke players and coaches are frequent patrons.

uh_no
12-11-2011, 12:25 AM
If you are going to eat just one meal, ity depends on what you are looking for ... for fine dining, the Magnolia Gill is great.

But for a classic Duke experience, I'd still recommend Bullocks. It's just off Hillsborough Road, about five minute from Cameron (by car). It's the classic Durham BBQ joint for more than half a century. A very large menu of Southern favorites, but famous for the que -- Eastern NC pulled pork. Personally, I like the sliced pork ... very reasonably priced. Duke players and coaches are frequent patrons.

Second Bullocks! If you're hungry its the place to go!

jayzon
12-11-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm a BBQ guy, so Bullocks sounds more to my liking, however I will let the wifey decide since it's her weekend. We really like the local places opposed to the chain restaurants. Thanks again everyone, it's going to be an awesome weekend!