PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC - 12/5 - 12/11

DukieInBrasil
12-08-2011, 12:27 PM
great night for the ACC, 5-0!!! Duke's win being the best of course. A combined opponents record of 9-26 (excluding the Duke game) is not stellar opposition though.

GA Tech, VA Tech and Wake all won on the road, some wins were more impressive than others, but still, road wins are gold come tourney time and VA Tech will be thanking their stars for that win over RI. Green had a stellar game, but Davila continues to be lost in limbo.

MD almost lost to a terrible Mt St Mary's team at home. They are looking awfully weak this year, they can't get Alexi Len in the line-up fast enough. I am quite curious to see what he brings to the team. Stoglin had a top-notch game this time out.

Don't look now but Wake is 6-3, that's almost as many wins as they had all of last year!!! Wake had great games from 3 players, McKie (18pts), Chennault and Harris each had 20.

I guess the best non-Duke result of the batch is GA Tech's win @ UGA, seeing as how Tech is supposed to be quite bad, and UGA was quite good last year, though both teams came in at 4-4. Tech showed some pretty balanced scoring, but only played 6 more than 10 mins.

Olympic Fan
12-08-2011, 12:52 PM
great night for the ACC, 5-0!!! Duke's win being the best of course. A combined opponents record of 9-26 (excluding the Duke game) is not stellar opposition though.

GA Tech, VA Tech and Wake all won on the road, some wins were more impressive than others, but still, road wins are gold come tourney time and VA Tech will be thanking their stars for that win over RI. Green had a stellar game, but Davila continues to be lost in limbo.

MD almost lost to a terrible Mt St Mary's team at home. They are looking awfully weak this year, they can't get Alexi Len in the line-up fast enough. I am quite curious to see what he brings to the team. Stoglin had a top-notch game this time out.

Don't look now but Wake is 6-3, that's almost as many wins as they had all of last year!!! Wake had great games from 3 players, McKie (18pts), Chennault and Harris each had 20.

I guess the best non-Duke result of the batch is GA Tech's win @ UGA, seeing as how Tech is supposed to be quite bad, and UGA was quite good last year, though both teams came in at 4-4. Tech showed some pretty balanced scoring, but only played 6 more than 10 mins.

It was a good night against very weak opposition.
Agree, the Georgia Tech win at Georgia was probably the most significant. They had not won in Athens since 1976 -- before Tech joined the ACC!

I actually don't think the Va Tech win at 1-7 Rhode Island is going to help them much at selection time. Granted, a loss would be devastating, but it's just not a quaity win. The Hokies don't have any bad losses so far, but they also don't have a single quality win (maybe Oklahoma State?).

And I wouldn't get too carried away with Wake's 6-3 start. They were 5-3, then 6-4 at the start last year. Scratching out a close win over High Point is hardly a great achievement. Heck, last year, Wake beat High Point by 16 ... I don't see a 4-point win as that big a deal. I don't think the Deacs are as bad as last year, but they have lost at home to Richmond (a much weaker Richmond team than last year). Let's see how they do Saturday at Seton Hall.

Agree that Maryland is a mess right now. Still, they beat a decent Notre Dame team Sunday. Unless Len is really an impact guy, they are going to struggle this season ... plus it would get to get Pe'Son Howard back (I've heard mixed reports -- the best seem to be sometime in January ... the worst are that he's gone for the season).

Interesting one tonight -- Boston College at Providence ... almost certainly loss No. 7 for the Eagles. They are almost certainly the ACC's bottom dwellers.

But I'll be watching UConn-Harvard at 7 p.m. I don't expect Tommy's team to win, but I hope they make it interesting.

gw67
12-08-2011, 03:01 PM
My understanding is that both Howard and Len will be back by the end of December. They will add depth and options for Turgeon. I don’t expect either to break into the starting line-up, at least for a while. The Terps play five weak teams at home before ACC play begins. They should win all five to bring their record to 10-3 but it wouldn’t surprise me if they lost one along the way. Their ACC schedule is tough. There have home and away games against Duke, UNC and Virginia, and they only play bottom feeders, Wake and BC, one time each. Winning 4-5 league games is probably max (I would be interested in what Pomeroy predicts). The result is probably 13-15 wins in regular season. Stoglin is playing well and is likely one of the top 15 players in the ACC. Freshman Faust is a good defensive player and rebounder but needs a lot of improvement on the offensive end.

gw67

DukieInBrasil
12-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Another perfect night for the ACC, 4-0. And not all of the competition was terrible!!!
BC got a 15pt home win over Stony Brook (3-4)
State eeked out a 5pt home win over NCCU, despite both CJ Leslie and L Brown having terrible games.
FSU downed a weak UNC-G team by 15.
VaTech beat Norfolk by 13.

On Sat. the ACC went 3-3.
Duke won, UNC won and GaTech beat a weak Sav.St. team on the road.
Wake lost a tough road game at Seton Hall.
Clemson lost a tough road game at 'Zona.
Miami lost a tough road game at WVU.

All in all, a pretty good weekend for the ACC, 7-3. Winning all the games they should have won and only losing on the road against pretty good teams.

Newton_14
12-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Another perfect night for the ACC, 4-0. And not all of the competition was terrible!!!
BC got a 15pt home win over Stony Brook (3-4)
State eeked out a 5pt home win over NCCU, despite both CJ Leslie and L Brown having terrible games.
FSU downed a weak UNC-G team by 15.
VaTech beat Norfolk by 13.

On Sat. the ACC went 3-3.
Duke won, UNC won and GaTech beat a weak Sav.St. team on the road.
Wake lost a tough road game at Seton Hall.
Clemson lost a tough road game at 'Zona.
Miami lost a tough road game at WVU.

All in all, a pretty good weekend for the ACC, 7-3. Winning all the games they should have won and only losing on the road against pretty good teams.

Surprised at how close the State/Central game was. State was up 15 at one point in the 2nd half, but it was a 3 point games with just over a minute to go. I would have expected State to win going away even though Central has 2 really good players, and is a good team in their league. I hope this is not a sign that this State team will play to the level of their competition.

The Heels got quietly tested again at home last night. The jumpshooting pigeon had 20 but Long Beach pushed them the entire game before UNC won by 6.

Miami is playing fairly well against good competition despite missing big Reggie, Jones, and the big that was to fill in for Johnson while he recoups. If they can get healthy they can be a tourney team.

Slackerb
12-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Dunno where else to put this, but several times now in the ACC update, DBR has referred to CJ Leslie's new name as Clarence. His actual name is Calvin Leslie, and that's what Gottfried is calling him these days, though the change wasn't of Leslie's doing.

DukieInBrasil
12-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Can the Terps pull out the win?
Down 13 earlier, made a strong comeback. Up 2 with 10 seconds...
....and the verdict is in. It's the Terps pulling out the win at home over the HOF-coached FIU Panthers.
Stoglin shot poorly from the floor but was money from the line. MD could be pretty decent when they get Howard and the Len on the floor.

Newton_14
12-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Can the Terps pull out the win?
Down 13 earlier, made a strong comeback. Up 2 with 10 seconds...
....and the verdict is in. It's the Terps pulling out the win at home over the HOF-coached FIU Panthers.
Stoglin shot poorly from the floor but was money from the line. MD could be pretty decent when they get Howard and the Len on the floor.

I watched part of the first half, and absolutely could not believe how empty that gym was. In 40 years of watching ACC hoops religiously, I have never seen that few people at a Maryland game that I can recall, not even during the Bob Wade years. Unreal.

They are the twerps, but I don't hate them. Reserve all of that for UNC, so I am glad they pulled out the win. Would have been bad for the ACC to lose that game at home. Turgeon has a tall task this year. I do agree they will get better when they get Howard and Len on the floor. That will help for sure