PDA

View Full Version : Shane Battier to sign with the Heat

arydolphin
12-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Shane just announced this on his Twitter account: http://twitter.com/#!/ShaneBattier

camion
12-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Now I'm really conflicted. :confused:

BattierD12
12-08-2011, 10:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

UrinalCake
12-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Best of luck to him, he deserves to play for a winner. Maybe we'll be able to put to rest the whole "Duke does not produce NBA players who win champhionships" line.

Son of Mojo
12-08-2011, 10:22 AM
It's hard to argue with a visionary leader like Michael Scott.......I would've preferred if he had waited to see a little longer if the Lakers moves develop, but you can't deny he helps this team out and gives them things they were really needing a year ago. Not a James or Bosh fan, but this does make them look a lot better in regards to how their season may end. Now if they could pull a few more Devils down there to get a ring.........

elvis14
12-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Is it OK if I root for LBJ to get injured and then for the Heat to win a championship?

Add me to the conflicted list. And before anybody starts to think I'm actually the Devil, I am just kidding about LBJ getting hurt.

sagegrouse
12-08-2011, 10:57 AM
I rejoiced in Miami's loss last year to the Mavs, but once was enough for me. The loss gave King James his comeuppance for the circus around his announcement. Nevertheless, he is the best player in the league (or, at least the player you would pick if you were starting a franchise). I look forward to having another Duke player added to our short list of NBA champions (Mullins and Ferry).

The departure from Cleveland? What did you expect? What did Lebron owe the Cavs -- except a somewhat more polite refusal to re-sign? Of course he was going elsewhere. In fact, I hear the entire population of Akron Ohio also wanted to move to Miami.

sage

COYS
12-08-2011, 11:04 AM
I rejoiced in Miami's loss last year to the Mavs, but once was enough for me. The loss gave King James his comeuppance for the circus around his announcement. Nevertheless, he is the best player in the league (or, at least the player you would pick if you were starting a franchise). I look forward to having another Duke player added to our short list of NBA champions (Mullins and Ferry).

The departure from Cleveland? What did you expect? What did Lebron owe the Cavs -- except a somewhat more polite refusal to re-sign? Of course he was going elsewhere. In fact, I hear the entire population of Akron Ohio also wanted to move to Miami.

sage

I feel pretty much the same way you do, sage. Lebron is frustrating to me because I think he's only 75% as good as he could be if he worked to refine his game a bit more (the back up dribble to half court is WAAAYYY too common of a move for him), not that I'm a Heat fan. That being said, I love that Battier is in a position to join a real contender like the Heat. The team will only benefit from his locker room presence, his focus, his relentlessness, and his defensive ability.

MChambers
12-08-2011, 11:19 AM
I feel pretty much the same way you do, sage. Lebron is frustrating to me because I think he's only 75% as good as he could be if he worked to refine his game a bit more (the back up dribble to half court is WAAAYYY too common of a move for him), not that I'm a Heat fan. That being said, I love that Battier is in a position to join a real contender like the Heat. The team will only benefit from his locker room presence, his focus, his relentlessness, and his defensive ability.

So far, Coach K is the only coach who's been able to win a championship with Lebron. Maybe having Battier as a teammate will have a similar effect.

DukeFanSince1990
12-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Best of luck to him, he deserves to play for a winner. Maybe we'll be able to put to rest the whole "Duke does not produce NBA players who win champhionships" line.

Amen, brother. More power to Shane.

Jderf
12-08-2011, 11:33 AM

sage

Have to agree. Great move for Shane. Great move for the Heat.

I also cheered against the Heat in the finals last year, but only because I'm originally from Dallas. If it had been any other team (with a few exceptions), I probably would have pulled for the Heat -- just because they get some much unjustified vitriol from the general public that it actually pushes me in the opposite direction.

CDu
12-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Have to agree. Great move for Shane. Great move for the Heat.

I also cheered against the Heat in the finals last year, but only because I'm originally from Dallas. If it had been any other team (with a few exceptions), I probably would have pulled for the Heat -- just because they get some much unjustified vitriol from the general public that it actually pushes me in the opposite direction.

To be fair, I don't think the angst is unjustified. They started counting their coming championships before they actually did anything. You're gonna catch a lot of grief for that. Sort of like what the Eagles got early this year for the Vince Young "dream team" comment, only on a bigger scale (because what they did was on a bigger scale). And then they've followed it up by repeatedly playing the victim card last year. Then, they had the embarrassing incident making fun of Nowitzki playing sick.

When you repeatedly present yourself as the unlikable villain in an entertainment business, it shouldn't be a surprise that the general public treats you as such.

Eventually, folks will move on, but only when the Heat stop giving them ammunition. Folks have moved on from the Eagles - largely because the Eagles have stunk, but also because they have repeated since said the "dream team" comment was stupid and wrong.

SmartDevil
12-08-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm a bit surprised and disappointed too. But perhaps elements of Shane can rub on his new teammates and he'll help them mature and grow as people.

In any case, I hope Shane, a former Devil, thrives in the Heat !

hq2
12-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Well, it'll make it less easy to hate them now. Battier is exactly the glue player they need; does
everything to help his teammates win, and can shoot good open look jumpers (should get plenty
of those now). I'd say their title chances just went up a lot.

Indoor66
12-08-2011, 01:46 PM
I get all the Heat games on local TV so this pleases me. I will get to see a lot of Shane and enjoy his play. This should make the Heat better. He may be the missing piece.

NSDukeFan
12-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Just as I am (at least for now) a Sixer, Sun, Magic, Pacer, (whatever team Shelden is on), Bobcat and Bulls fan, I am now also at least somewhat of a Heat, Cav and Blazer fan. Go Shane! Hopefully, next year I will also be a Piston fan. For now, go Real Madrid!

CDu
12-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Just as I am (at least for now) a Sixer, Sun, Magic, Pacer, (whatever team Shelden is on), Bobcat and Bulls fan, I am now also at least somewhat of a Heat, Cav and Blazer fan. Go Shane! Hopefully, next year I will also be a Piston fan. For now, go Real Madrid!

Pretty soon you'll just have to be an NBA fan in general.

LSanders
12-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Well ... Considering it's Shane (CONGRATS, btw) ... I guess I'll have to root for them -- But, I don't have to like it!

The best outcome would be that his defense and IQ make them gel, which turns them into a champion.

NSDukeFan
12-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Pretty soon you'll just have to be an NBA fan in general.

And with awhom11's help a Euro Basket fan as well, even with no Trajan. Hopefully, I'll have to start cheering for Lance's, Jon's, Kyle's, Miles', Mason's, Austin's, Ryan's, Andre's and Seth's teams in the next couple of years, all while Grant continues to play like he is still in his late twenties- early thirties.

CDu
12-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Well ... Considering it's Shane (CONGRATS, btw) ... I guess I'll have to root for them -- But, I don't have to like it!

The best outcome would be that his defense and IQ make them gel, which turns them into a champion.

Well, to be fair, they were pretty close to winning a championship without Battier. And next year, they'll have a healthier Haslem and another year of chemistry. So there's a very real chance they were going to win without Battier. Signing Battier helps improve their chances even further, but I don't think he'll be the primary difference in them winning a championship.

The one positive I can take from this is that there's a good chance Battier can be a contributing role player on a championship team. Unfortunately for me - as a Bulls fan - it means I'll have to actively cheer against his team. When he was in the West, his team's success had very little implication on my team's success.

chrishoke
12-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Very happy for Shane - so glad he escaped Memphis.

BobbyFan
12-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Good to see Shane on a team with a legitimate title shot. Although with reports now surfacing about Chris Paul to the Lakers being almost done, the Heat's chances may have taken a bit of a hit.

miramar
12-08-2011, 06:35 PM
It was surprising to see Jalen Rose saying something nice about a Dukie on ESPN...

CDu
12-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Good to see Shane on a team with a legitimate title shot. Although with reports now surfacing about Chris Paul to the Lakers being almost done, the Heat's chances may have taken a bit of a hit.

The Paul to LA rumors are interesting. I feel like that only works if they can then somehow convince the Magic to take a Howard/Bynum deal, because they'd give away their only real post scorer (Bynum is a garbage bucket guy) and replace him with another guard who needs the ball in his hands to be effective. But if the Lakers somehow managed to get Paul and Howard (which would be shocking and very annoying), they'd look really good. At that point I'd say the Heat's title chances take a BIG hit for the next few years.

BobbyFan
12-08-2011, 06:55 PM
The Paul to LA rumors are interesting. I feel like that only works if they can then somehow convince the Magic to take a Howard/Bynum deal, because they'd give away their only real post scorer (Bynum is a garbage bucket guy) and replace him with another guard who needs the ball in his hands to be effective. But if the Lakers somehow managed to get Paul and Howard (which would be shocking and very annoying), they'd look really good. At that point I'd say the Heat's title chances take a BIG hit for the next few years.

Agree that Gasol means more to the Lakers than Bynum (but of course Bynum would be more enticing for Orlando than a guy on the wrong side of 30). If it is just Gasol/Odom for Paul, then it's likely a lateral move for this year, but still worth it IMO for their future. However, should they also land Okafor in the deal, I think they clearly improve.

If Howard forces Orlando's hand and joins them, the Lakers then become a video game team, even more so than the Heat.

Regardless, this is not good for the NBA product.

diveonthefloor
12-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Very happy for Shane - so glad he escaped Memphis.

Chris,

Have you ever been to Memphis? Have you stayed for more than a week?

I have called Memphis my home for nearly 20 years. Raised two kids here.
When people ask me what Durham is like, I tell them it's a smaller version of Memphis. And that's
a compliment!

I know for a fact that Shane feels the same way I do. He had to make a tough decision, part of it financial (the Grizzlies
couldn't come up with the money the Heat were offering), and part of it competitive (Memphis will field one of the top 10 teams in the
NBA this season, but the Heat are certainly one of the top two teams in the league.)
This is Shane's last contract, he wants security for his family, and a championship for his competitive fire.

He did not "escape" Memphis. He is leaving tearfully. Memphis fans wish him the best, and fully understand why he has chosen this route.

bdevil94
12-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Damn. Now I have to be a Heat fan!!!

Oriole Way
12-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Agree that Gasol means more to the Lakers than Bynum (but of course Bynum would be more enticing for Orlando than a guy on the wrong side of 30). If it is just Gasol/Odom for Paul, then it's likely a lateral move for this year, but still worth it IMO for their future. However, should they also land Okafor in the deal, I think they clearly improve.

If Howard forces Orlando's hand and joins them, the Lakers then become a video game team, even more so than the Heat.

Regardless, this is not good for the NBA product.

Disagree. The NBA has always been built on dynasties and rivalries. I guarantee you the NBA will get colossal ratings for a Lakers-Heat Finals, and good ratings for regular season games involving the Lakers, Heat, Celtics, and Knicks.

I think it's shady, and it's not good for parity, but it's going to make the NBA loads of money.

moonpie23
12-08-2011, 08:46 PM
heat-lakers final will be amazing if it happens...

basket1544
12-08-2011, 09:23 PM
I'm very confused on this too. I'll always love Shane, but the Heat? I remember when Jon was trying out for Miami being worried that I'd have to become a Heat fan then. I'll get used to it, but I'm still not cheering for D-Wade yet.

moonpie23
12-09-2011, 12:04 AM
y'all go ahead and hate.......this is awesome for shane....

Starter
12-09-2011, 12:11 AM
So, uh... about that Heat-Lakers final...

Gthoma2a
12-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Shane is one of my all-time favorite players (nobody can pass Christian), but I hate the Heat with a passion. I hate their attitude, but, most of all, I hate Lebron. Lebron is the most overhyped player ever and his comments usually make me think he deserves no respect as a man.

Sir Stealth
12-09-2011, 01:40 AM
Shane is one of my all-time favorite players (nobody can pass Christian), but I hate the Heat with a passion. I hate their attitude, but, most of all, I hate Lebron. Lebron is the most overhyped player ever and his comments usually make me think he deserves no respect as a man.

Not over the top at all there....I generally cheered against the Heat before Shane got involved, but get into "hate" so much? I dunno....doesn't seem like all that hate is a thing to want to have, personally, sports hate or no.

millerecu
12-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Its funny to me as a Duke fan reading about other Duke fans hating on Lebron. I know "The Decision" was a little out there, but hey $2 million went to the Boys and Girls Club so who really cares. Isn't hating Lebron a little like non Duke fans hating on Duke? Mainly due to the fact you either root for him or he beats the team you root for more often than not so you cant stand him? Or is it the fact that the media tells you he should be hated?

AZLA
12-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Admit it, if Shane played for the 1972 Soviet National Team -- you'd root for the Ruskies :)

Shane is going to show these guys how to hustle, play as a team, and win a championship

hq2
12-09-2011, 12:03 PM

As time goes on, we'll hate Lebron less and respect him more. He's about where Michael was around 1990; the Lakers and Celtics are aging,
and he's been around a while now too, so people are starting to think that maybe it's his turn. I mean, just about every deserving Hall of Famer
of this past era now has a ring (I think Nowitzki was the last one who didn't (Steve Nash?)) , so in the next year or two people will start coming
more over on his side. He's already paid a lot of dues, so he's almost ready to join the club.

Matches
12-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Its funny to me as a Duke fan reading about other Duke fans hating on Lebron. I know "The Decision" was a little out there, but hey $2 million went to the Boys and Girls Club so who really cares. Isn't hating Lebron a little like non Duke fans hating on Duke? Mainly due to the fact you either root for him or he beats the team you root for more often than not so you cant stand him? Or is it the fact that the media tells you he should be hated?

I don't think so. There's plenty of evidence (including but not limited to "The Decision") suggesting that he's just not a good person. Lebron hasn't always been hated, and the hatred doesn't seem at all tied to his success.

Great spot for Shane, though - he's a perfect fit on that team. Not sure I can stomach rooting for his team but I hope Shane has a great year.

elvis14
12-09-2011, 02:05 PM
As time goes on, we'll hate Lebron less and respect him more. He's about where Michael was around 1990; the Lakers and Celtics are aging,
and he's been around a while now too, so people are starting to think that maybe it's his turn. I mean, just about every deserving Hall of Famer
of this past era now has a ring (I think Nowitzki was the last one who didn't (Steve Nash?)) , so in the next year or two people will start coming
more over on his side. He's already paid a lot of dues, so he's almost ready to join the club.

A couple of thoughts here. First, hate and respect coexist. I respect Lebron's game (holy crap is he good), I just don't really like the guy that much. The difference between Lebron and Mike is that Mike had a public face and image that he very carefully kept up. People didn't get to see the real MJ. With Lebron, he's always just himself, more of an open book. Some just don't like the book that much. Lebron and his team (agent, publicists) are surely trying really hard to figure out how to improve his approval rating. I just don't know that he'll succeed. Time will tell.

Jderf
12-09-2011, 06:54 PM
I don't think so. There's plenty of evidence (including but not limited to "The Decision") suggesting that he's just not a good person. Lebron hasn't always been hated, and the hatred doesn't seem at all tied to his success.

Great spot for Shane, though - he's a perfect fit on that team. Not sure I can stomach rooting for his team but I hope Shane has a great year.

It amazes me that a man could single-handedly raise millions of dollars for charities, and then be called a bad person simply for being cocky. Is it really that much of a crime? I mean, it's not like he embezzled funds, or dealt drugs, or got caught in a gambling scandal, or ran into the stands and beat the bejeezus out of some fan. He's just a little cocky, which to be honest is pretty hard to avoid when you're one of the top 3 players in the world (and that's being conservative). I just don't see it as that big of a deal.

78Devil
12-09-2011, 07:01 PM
"Admit it, if Shane played for the 1972 Soviet National Team -- you'd root for the Ruskies"

.... Whoever posted the above, I got a huge chuckle -- and agree with them!

Duke71
12-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Good link on ESPN website about Battier acquisition. It's an extended read with good observations and analysis.
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/10465/shane-battier-vs-mike-miller-whos-better

And speaking about haters, surprising absence of Duke hating in the reader comments section (actually not surprising given that Battier is the subject, but usually the ubiquitous Duke haters won't let something like class and integrity interfere with that entrenched habit of theirs.)

Gthoma2a
12-09-2011, 11:09 PM
My reasons are that most of the time he is facing adversity, he shows his worst. He refused to shake hands years bad. Afterwards, he refused to apologize, said it would be like getting hit in the mouth and shaking someone's hand, then he implied that players who do shake hands weren't true competitors. He played without heart knowing that his team needed everything he had during the end with the Cavs. He did the decision. He decided that it was a good idea to knock Dirk coughing when he was sick. While he felt entitled to insult Dirk, he played with no heart for his team during the Finals. Then, he had the nerve to say that, "to all the people who are happy that I lost, they will all go back to their ordinary lives."

That is just to name a few things that have annoyed me, off the top of my head.

zoroaster
12-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Good link on ESPN website about Battier acquisition. It's an extended read with good observations and analysis.
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/10465/shane-battier-vs-mike-miller-whos-better

And speaking about haters, surprising absence of Duke hating in the reader comments section (actually not surprising given that Battier is the subject, but usually the ubiquitous Duke haters won't let something like class and integrity interfere with that entrenched habit of theirs.)

I didn't know the author of the "No-Stats All-Star" article on Shane (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html?pagewanted=all ) also wrote the movie "Moneyball". That actually makes me more likely to see "Moneyball." ;)

Duke71
12-10-2011, 10:36 AM
I didn't know the author of the "No-Stats All-Star" article on Shane (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html?pagewanted=all ) also wrote the movie "Moneyball". That actually makes me more likely to see "Moneyball." ;)

Hi Zoroaster,

That was actually the first thing that jumped out at me too when I first read the article, though I didn't mention it in my post. Like you, I didn't realize that before either. My reaction mirrored yours. I'm more likely to check out the mentioned movie myself now.

Hope Duke prevails against WSU at MSG in a little over an hour....even without "No-Stats All-Star" Battier suiting up for us today.

zoroaster
12-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Hi Zoroaster,

That was actually the first thing that jumped out at me too when I first read the article, though I didn't mention it in my post. Like you, I didn't realize that before either. My reaction mirrored yours. I'm more likely to check out the mentioned movie myself now.

Hope Duke prevails against WSU at MSG in a little over an hour....even without "No-Stats All-Star" Battier suiting up for us today.

Thanks for posting the ESPN article about Shane's move -- I really should point out that I enjoyed it a lot. It offered quite a bit about his status and shed some good light on his play at this point in his career, not unlike what the NYTimes article did several years ago.

Whether or not the Chris Paul trade goes through, this will certainly be one of the more interesting off-season developments for us Duke fans, I think. :)

Starter
12-11-2011, 01:37 PM

I haven't seen the movie, though I've heard it's very good. That said, you should read the book, which I know for a fact is excellent.

I think Shane is exactly what the Heat need. I also think though the Decision was handled horribly, if anything, that's more a reason to hate Maverick Carter, LeBron's moronic handler who has completely destroyed his Q Rating. Regardless, Shane is perfect, doing the dirty work and knocking down corner 3's while LeBron and Wade can destroy everyone on both ends. I'm a Knicks fan, but I love watching the Heat, and I think they'll win it all.

COYS
12-12-2011, 01:08 AM
I'm a Knicks fan, but I love watching the Heat, and I think they'll win it all.

That's one of the strangest sentences I've ever read =). Agree with you on all counts regarding Battier's benefit to Miami, though. Lineups featuring Wade, James, Battier, Haslem, and Bosh are going to pack some serious offensive punch while also having the potential to be deadly on defense, as well. The rest of the bench still needs help, but Haslem and Battier are perfect role players for that team.

Matches
12-12-2011, 09:05 AM
It amazes me that a man could single-handedly raise millions of dollars for charities, and then be called a bad person simply for being cocky. Is it really that much of a crime? I mean, it's not like he embezzled funds, or dealt drugs, or got caught in a gambling scandal, or ran into the stands and beat the bejeezus out of some fan. He's just a little cocky, which to be honest is pretty hard to avoid when you're one of the top 3 players in the world (and that's being conservative). I just don't see it as that big of a deal.

I think it goes beyond just being cocky. J.J. Redick was cocky. Donating $ to charity doesn't excuse essentially mooning the city of Cleveland on national television.

Agreed that there are many folks who are worse or who have done worse things - but just b/c Lebron looks good by comparison to, say, Artest/ Metta World Peace doesn't mean he looks good.

toooskies
12-12-2011, 11:12 AM
That's one of the strangest sentences I've ever read =). Agree with you on all counts regarding Battier's benefit to Miami, though. Lineups featuring Wade, James, Battier, Haslem, and Bosh are going to pack some serious offensive punch while also having the potential to be deadly on defense, as well. The rest of the bench still needs help, but Haslem and Battier are perfect role players for that team.

That team has exactly 0 players skilled at distributing the basketball, which means they have a ceiling in terms of offensive production. I also think that team has a major defensive liability in Bosh. I wouldn' t be surprised if the Heat are a year away from amnestying Bosh and signing Howard in his salary spot (as long as Howard ends up as a free agent).

Starter
12-12-2011, 12:31 PM

Haha, I know. I mean, I hate the Heat in that I always have, and I have no love lost for Riley, believe me. But as a basketball fan, I love watching them play ball. LeBron screwing up The Decision didn't change that he's the most exciting player I've seen live. (Lamentably, I never made it to see Jordan play live.)

NSDukeFan
12-12-2011, 12:48 PM
That team has exactly 0 players skilled at distributing the basketball, which means they have a ceiling in terms of offensive production. I also think that team has a major defensive liability in Bosh. I wouldn' t be surprised if the Heat are a year away from amnestying Bosh and signing Howard in his salary spot (as long as Howard ends up as a free agent).

I disagree that the team doesn't have anyone skilled at distributing the basketball. LeBron is fantastic at seeing the court and getting teammates involved. Just because he and Wade may not have meshed perfectly does not take away from the fact that LeBron is an excellent passer. I don't know too much about how well the rest of the team moves the basketball, but Battier is not afraid to share the ball or provide spacing, if necessary. I expect that Miami will be better at moving the basketball this year, as LeBron and Wade learn more about playing together, with a great teammate added to their squad.

moonpie23
12-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Wade may not have meshed perfectly .

yet.

subzero02
12-13-2011, 01:56 AM
Hi Zoroaster,

I hope a victory over UW sufficed

COYS
12-13-2011, 07:40 AM
I disagree that the team doesn't have anyone skilled at distributing the basketball. LeBron is fantastic at seeing the court and getting teammates involved. Just because he and Wade may not have meshed perfectly does not take away from the fact that LeBron is an excellent passer. I don't know too much about how well the rest of the team moves the basketball, but Battier is not afraid to share the ball or provide spacing, if necessary. I expect that Miami will be better at moving the basketball this year, as LeBron and Wade learn more about playing together, with a great teammate added to their squad.

I agree with this however I will add one caveat. Lebron is a very good passer, but I don't think his basketball IQ is as high as it could be. I think he pounds the ball into the ground too much instead of relentlessly probing the defense. And the screen and back up to half court play occurs way too frequently. I think that if he is more relentless in his probing of the defense when he's got the ball in his hands, it will help get the whole offense involved.

Also, Wade is not as good a passer as Lebron, but he is also a willing passer. I feel like Wade is the forgotten man in all this. Running iso sets for Wade with Bosh ready to catch a pass at the free throw line and Shane spotting up in the corner should be a central part of Miami's offense.

Duke71
12-13-2011, 08:21 AM
[/B]

I hope a victory over UW sufficed

Hey subzero02:

Thanks for catching that brainf*rt of mine and giving me a good chuckle in the process. Obviously my own proofreading didn't catch that faux pas. Guess my sense of smell for brainf*rts ain't what it used to be. At the very least, it shows that people around here read our posts and pay attention.

To respond to your comment, "Yes, the UW victory did make me feel better. It sufficed." I know in my heart of hearts that if we HAD played WSU, though, that we we would have won that game too. ;)

FourWins
12-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Featuring Battier repping the Heat in double-popped collars. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5q09REl-6Y#t=0m14s)

Doctor Mu
12-28-2011, 01:50 AM
Featuring Battier repping the Heat in double-popped collars. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5q09REl-6Y#t=0m14s)

LOL He has that punk-prep sneer.

flyingdutchdevil
12-28-2011, 08:07 AM

This is a very poor representation of the Heat's roster. How can they show Eddy Curry without a hamburger in one hand and a pizza in the other?

Jderf
12-28-2011, 07:34 PM
I think it goes beyond just being cocky. J.J. Redick was cocky. Donating $ to charity doesn't excuse essentially mooning the city of Cleveland on national television.

Agreed that there are many folks who are worse or who have done worse things - but just b/c Lebron looks good by comparison to, say, Artest/ Metta World Peace doesn't mean he looks good.

Okay, so it goes beyond just being cocky. I'll agree with that. He may have some insecurities. He might be a superficial person. He most definitely mishandled one gigantic PR mess. (Who knew at the time that the entire nation would take such offence on Cleveland's behalf? I wish we could display the same national unity in other matters.) Basically, I will gladly concede that his public image is not perfect, and I can see why people might hold a mild distaste for him. But to say that he isn't a good person? That seems like a stretch to me.

moonpie23
12-28-2011, 08:18 PM
the whole mess was jim grey's fault....he thought it up so HE could be there.....bron went along and none of bron's "handlers" had the good sense or stones to call bs on the whole thing...