PDA

View Full Version : MLax Ranked No. 2

burnspbesq
12-07-2011, 01:20 PM
The season is still two months away, but those fine folks at Inside Lacrosse have released their preseason rankings and All-America teams.

Duke is ranked second, behind Virginia. Hopkins, Syracuse, and Cornell round out the top five. Wrong Shade of Blue comes in at number six, and the Turtles are at number eight.
Duke has six pre-season All-America selections: first-teamers C.J. Costabile and Mike Manley, Jordan Wolf, Justin Turri and David Lawon on the second team, and honorable mention for Rob Rotanz.

Duke opens on February 11 against Rutgers.

Mike Corey
12-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Congrats, Dukelax.

And check out their new Duke digs (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205343153&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter).

SmartDevil
12-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Congrats, Dukelax.

And check out their new Duke digs (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205343153&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter).

Locker room looks great!! The team deserves it.

Here's hoping for a great season!!

loldevilz
12-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm surprised they weren't preseason number 1.

They only lose 2 key players on a final four team and they get back Mike Manley who may be their best overall player.

chrishoke
12-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Getting Manley back is huge.

chrishoke
12-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Here is the full top20.

The complete Top 20
1.Virginia Cavaliers
2.Duke Blue Devils
3.Cornell Big Red
4.Johns Hopkins Blue Jays
5.Denver Pioneers
6.North Carolina Tar Heels
7.Syracuse Orange
8.Maryland Terrapins
9.Notre Dame Fighting Irish
10.Villanova Wildcats
11.Hofstra Pride
12.UMass Minutemen
13.Yale Bulldogs
14.Penn Quakers
15.Bucknell Bison
16.Princeton Tigers
17.Drexel Dragons
18.Colgate Raiders
19.Harvard Crimson
20.Penn State Nittany Lions

burnspbesq
12-07-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm surprised they weren't preseason number 1.

They only lose 2 key players on a final four team and they get back Mike Manley who may be their best overall player.

Virginia loses Ghitelman, Malphus, and the Brattons. Losing the Brattons is addition by subtraction, because it opens up spots on the first midfield for LaPierre and Cockerton, and because team chemistry will improve immeasurably.

They have solid replacements for Ghitelman and Malphus. And as much as I love Wolf and Walsh, there's no doubt that Stanwick and Bocklet are better.

ForkFondler
12-07-2011, 08:59 PM
If ND doesn't show up soon, isn't there some way for the ACC to bring in Hopkins as a sixth for men's lax? T'would be awesome, just saying.

loldevilz
12-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Virginia loses Ghitelman, Malphus, and the Brattons. Losing the Brattons is addition by subtraction, because it opens up spots on the first midfield for LaPierre and Cockerton, and because team chemistry will improve immeasurably.

They have solid replacements for Ghitelman and Malphus. And as much as I love Wolf and Walsh, there's no doubt that Stanwick and Bocklet are better.

To be fair, Duke beat Virginia twice last year. My opinion is that Duke was a very young team that will get substantially better over the offseason. But Virginia will always be a threat to win it all. They are a great program.

ForkFondler
12-07-2011, 09:14 PM
To be fair, Duke beat Virginia twice last year. My opinion is that Duke was a very young team that will get substantially better over the offseason. But Virginia will always be a threat to win it all. They are a great program.

To be even more fair:

UVa MLax record 2008-2011: 57-14
UVa MLax record 2008-2011, vs. teams other than Duke: 56-6
UVa MLax record 2008-2011, vs. Duke: 1-8

buddy
12-07-2011, 10:35 PM
The Brattans were kicked off the team last year after the ACC Tournament. UVA instantly improved. So you really can't say they lost them from last year's team, the one that played for the national championship. They should be good. So should Duke.

greybeard
12-08-2011, 12:23 AM
The guy who makes them go, and who is the best passer/play maker in any college sport over the past few years, imo, is Stanwick. The guy gets terrific position for the catch, is the deliverer that they look to get the ball to in set plays and he does not disappoint, getting it to cutters, or freed spot up shooters, with touch and appropriate pace. He gets rid of it quickly, doesn't occupy the ball unnecessarily, and can cut you apart with a back to the net spin and shoot game. He has grown physically since he rocked me his freshman year, and, case you can't tell, I luv watching the young man play, and this is from a guy whose homeboy Purnell (Cornell via L.I. just like me) ain't exactly chopped liver.

If Stanwick does not get hurt (LAX is becoming ever more about size, strength, explosiveness, physicality), you have to like UVa as a serious contender for the Championship. That said, I don't think that the favored team wins it all very often in this sport; actually, it happens quite rarely. And, the top ten list alone says that this should be entertaining if you like a sport where ball players, real ballplayers, get a chance, even if they do not possess to the nines the size, strength, speed, etc. of the "real" athletes.

So, let the games begin. And, oh, Go Red, and, if lightening should strike and you get there again, do remember to play the final three minutes. :rolleyes:

MCFinARL
12-08-2011, 08:26 AM
The guy who makes them go, and who is the best passer/play maker in any college sport over the past few years, imo, is Stanwick. The guy gets terrific position for the catch, is the deliverer that they look to get the ball to in set plays and he does not disappoint, getting it to cutters, or freed spot up shooters, with touch and appropriate pace. He gets rid of it quickly, doesn't occupy the ball unnecessarily, and can cut you apart with a back to the net spin and shoot game. He has grown physically since he rocked me his freshman year, and, case you can't tell, I luv watching the young man play, and this is from a guy whose homeboy Purnell (Cornell via L.I. just like me) ain't exactly chopped liver.

If Stanwick does not get hurt (LAX is becoming ever more about size, strength, explosiveness, physicality), you have to like UVa as a serious contender for the Championship. That said, I don't think that the favored team wins it all very often in this sport; actually, it happens quite rarely. And, the top ten list alone says that this should be entertaining if you like a sport where ball players, real ballplayers, get a chance, even if they do not possess to the nines the size, strength, speed, etc. of the "real" athletes.

So, let the games begin. And, oh, Go Red, and, if lightening should strike and you get there again, do remember to play the final three minutes. :rolleyes:

Agree with your assessment of Stanwick. On the other hand, Malphrus was the emotional leader and heart of last year's team. It will be interesting to see who picks up the slack, if anyone can.