PDA

View Full Version : Jon Scheyer appreciation

Rudy
12-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Reading the posts on Kendall Marshall, with a current assist to turnover ratio of 3.6, I remembered a season when Jon went a ways into the season with his ratio at 5.0. He finished the season with the ACC's best that year at 3.0. Here's a rundown on Jon's stats, recorded in Wiki:

Scheyer set the ACC all-time single-season record for minutes played in 2009–10 (with 1,470, passing Dennis Scott).[37] Scheyer said: "I feel as though this is what I've prepared my whole life to do. There's never a time in a game when I feel I'm winded." In the 2009–10 season, he also led the ACC in assist/turnover ratio (3.0; 2nd-best in Duke history to Steve Wojciechowski in 1997), free throw percentage (.878; 7th-best in Duke history), and 3-point FGs made (2.8 per game). He also tied for 2nd in games with 20 or more points (17), and was 3rd in scoring (18.2 points per game), 4th in assists (4.9 per game) and 3-point FG percentage (.383), and 7th in steals (1.6 per game).

For the season, he has also led the nation in assist/turnover ratio. He had 38 double-figure scoring games in the single season (tied for 3rd-most in Duke history with Elton Brand), 110 3-point field goals (the 6th-highest Duke season total; behind Trajan Langdon), 194 free throws (10th in Duke history, behind J.J. Redick), and was the 9th player in Duke history to average double figures for four seasons. Freshman guard Andre Dawkins said: "Jon’s the glue. He takes the big shots."

In his career, he played in 144 consecutive games (most in team history, tied with Chris Duhon), played 4,759 minutes (3rd in both Duke and ACC history, behind Bobby Hurley), had an .861 free throw percentage (3rd in Duke history, and 6th in ACC history), sank 604 free throws (3rd in Duke history, behind Christian Laettner and Redick), 297 3-pointers (4th in school history, ahead of Bobby Hurley, and 10th in ACC history), played 144 games (tied for 4th on Duke's all-time list with Duhon), and had 114 double-figure scoring games (5th all-time at Duke, ahead of Mike Gminski and Grant Hill). In addition, he had 208 steals (8th in school history, behind Grant Hill), and had scored 2,077 points (9th on Duke’s all-time list, behind Jason Williams and Gene Banks). Asked to comment on his having passed the career 2,000-points mark, he said: "That's a pretty cool thing. I don't know all the names [of those] who have hit 2,000, but it's a great list to be part of. It's not better than a win tonight, and going to the Sweet 16, but it's still a great honor."

He is the only player in Duke history to record at least 2,000 points, 500 rebounds, 400 assists, 250 3-pointers, and 200 steals in a career.

SMO
12-06-2011, 05:09 PM
A complete player if there ever was one. I think he accomplished all that while never dunking in a game (at least not that I remember).

Jderf
12-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Reading the posts on Kendall Marshall, with a current assist to turnover ratio of 3.6, I remembered a season when Jon went a ways into the season with his ratio at 5.0. He finished the season with the ACC's best that year at 3.0. Here's a rundown on Jon's stats, recorded in Wiki:

Scheyer set the ACC all-time single-season record for minutes played in 2009–10 (with 1,470, passing Dennis Scott).[37] Scheyer said: "I feel as though this is what I've prepared my whole life to do. There's never a time in a game when I feel I'm winded." In the 2009–10 season, he also led the ACC in assist/turnover ratio (3.0; 2nd-best in Duke history to Steve Wojciechowski in 1997), free throw percentage (.878; 7th-best in Duke history), and 3-point FGs made (2.8 per game). He also tied for 2nd in games with 20 or more points (17), and was 3rd in scoring (18.2 points per game), 4th in assists (4.9 per game) and 3-point FG percentage (.383), and 7th in steals (1.6 per game).

For the season, he has also led the nation in assist/turnover ratio. He had 38 double-figure scoring games in the single season (tied for 3rd-most in Duke history with Elton Brand), 110 3-point field goals (the 6th-highest Duke season total; behind Trajan Langdon), 194 free throws (10th in Duke history, behind J.J. Redick), and was the 9th player in Duke history to average double figures for four seasons. Freshman guard Andre Dawkins said: "Jon’s the glue. He takes the big shots."

And somehow he didn't come away with ACC POY that season, more or less because of a single Greivis Vasquez carnival shot. In retrospect, it seems like a pretty big mistake.

OldPhiKap
12-06-2011, 08:24 PM
And somehow he didn't come away with ACC POY that season, more or less because of a single Greivis Vasquez carnival shot. In retrospect, it seems like a pretty big mistake.

Yup, exactly. Gotta give the devil his due, though. Jon struggled at the end of the season and VG finished strong. Still, wouldn't trade one for the other.

Jon was the definition of solid. Kid was smart and never gave up, even when he went through a wicked struggle at the end of his career. When folks started writing us off, he got off the mat and did the job.

A true Champion. I hope he has had a full recovery.

Lord Ash
12-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Jon will always be one of my favorite all-time Duke guys, right after Shane and Grant.

And he also contributed maybe the best line in Duke history, ahead even of "Here's to never forgetting tonight."

A real all-timer, and one I am sorry to not see in the rafters given his four years of real excellence.

1 24 90
12-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Jon will always be one of my favorite all-time Duke guys, right after Shane and Grant.

And he also contributed maybe the best line in Duke history, ahead even of "Here's to never forgetting tonight."

A real all-timer, and one I am sorry to not see in the rafters given his four years of real excellence.

Are you referring to "It hasn't happened yet"?

Lord Ash
12-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Are you referring to "It hasn't happened yet"?

Hell yes:) My favorite EVER Duke line. EVVAAAHHH.

1 24 90
12-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Hell yes:) My favorite EVER Duke line. EVVAAAHHH.

What a brilliant line and premonition from Jon.

Rudy
12-07-2011, 09:01 AM
I was in the arena when he hit the bucket to clinch the ACC title his senior year. A great thrill 'cause all Duke fans were pulling for him to do well. Down the stretch we all felt the team could be great if all three scorers (Jon, Kyle, Nolan) could all find their strokes together and the role players (Lance and Brian particularly) could maximize what they did well. It happened and elevated teamwork over individual stardom. At least until the final game when it was two teams with the same teamwork ethic and the margin was fittingly razor thin.

HCheek37
12-07-2011, 10:43 AM
If you recall correctly, Scheyer finished the season on a down note, shooting 24-75 from the floor and 11-41 from three starting with that loss in Maryland. This trend continued in the first half of the tournament run as he went 10-33 from the floor and 5-19 from three. Myself and other Duke fans at the first 3 games were wondering if he had worn down. We all knew he was a necessary component to achieving the ultimate goal of winning a national title. The elite 8 game against Baylor is known for Lance Thomas, Nolan Smith and Andre Dawkins ahead of Jon, but he showed up and reverted to his top form going for 20 points on 5-12 shooting (5 3's) while pitching in 5 boards and 4 assists.

From there it was gravy as he poured in 23 versus Huggins and WVU along with a 6 assist 0 TO game. In the title game he hit several huge baskets and filled the stat sheet.

While others in this thread have mentioned the line quoted by Coach K about Jon's best moment not happening yet. I also enjoy his version of Coach K's line in the postgame celebration as he embraced Kyle - (1:02 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cchAZ3MEjEk&feature=plcp&context=C250c2UDOEgsToPDskL2tlNXYE2bdgII6OeQ6YWY

He deserves to be in the rafters. I know we can't retire every special player but man, this kid deserves it. Maybe it would be rude to have one or two of the "big 3" from that title run, but taken individually, Jon Scheyer should be up there.

basket1544
12-07-2011, 08:17 PM
I love Jon too. I loved him from his freshman year when he left everything (including his own blood) on the court. He was a special player. I've gotten to see him in person a few times at D-League games last year and he's always so intense. I hope that the NBA starting up will mean Jordan Farmar will leave Israel and Jon can get some playing time.
A quick side note though - 144 consecutive games isn't the record at Duke. Christian and Kyle are tied for that record at 148. Still an amazing feat though.

NSDukeFan
12-07-2011, 09:04 PM

In his career, he played in 144 consecutive games (most in team history, tied with Chris Duhon), played 4,759 minutes (3rd in both Duke and ACC history, behind Bobby Hurley), had an .861 free throw percentage (3rd in Duke history, and 6th in ACC history), sank 604 free throws (3rd in Duke history, behind Christian Laettner and Redick), 297 3-pointers (4th in school history, ahead of Bobby Hurley, and 10th in ACC history), played 144 games (tied for 4th on Duke's all-time list with Duhon), and had 114 double-figure scoring games (5th all-time at Duke, ahead of Mike Gminski and Grant Hill). In addition, he had 208 steals (8th in school history, behind Grant Hill), and had scored 2,077 points (9th on Duke’s all-time list, behind Jason Williams and Gene Banks). Asked to comment on his having passed the career 2,000-points mark, he said: "That's a pretty cool thing. I don't know all the names [of those] who have hit 2,000, but it's a great list to be part of. It's not better than a win tonight, and going to the Sweet 16, but it's still a great honor."

He is the only player in Duke history to record at least 2,000 points, 500 rebounds, 400 assists, 250 3-pointers, and 200 steals in a career.

Are you trying to get Jumbo to post again?

mapei
12-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks for supplying those very impressive stats to support what seemed to be impressive in the making, but perhaps so steady that it was easy to take for granted. I would add the intangible of his leadership to the bundle of praiseworthy accomplishment. I find it impossible to pick a favorite from that trio, but Jon is at least as deserving as the other two.

burnspbesq
12-07-2011, 09:49 PM
2:45 p.m. Eastern on espn3