PDA

View Full Version : Coach K in the media

DukieInBrasil
12-05-2011, 08:17 PM
articles about coach K have turned up today from The Nation http://www.thenation.com/blog/164975/saluting-sick-system-sports-illustrated-honors-duke-coach-mike-krzyzewski
The Onion http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/excited-mike-krzyzewski-duke-squad-hasnt-been-this,26794/ which you gotta admit is kinda funny.
It's hard to state how contrasting in depth and demeanor these articles are. The Nation does a poor job by trying to form a connection of K to the oozing corruptness of other actors in the world of college sports, with whom K has no connection whatsoever. It comes across seeming like an attack piece. "Coach K swears! (gasp!)", "Coach K gets paid a lot of money!! (gasp!!)" "He's got the audacity to have an award bestowed upon him by a sports magazine at Times Like These!!! (GASP!!!). Seriously, that's the depth of your argument?

Coach K has acquired power by inhaling deeply this “whiff of the plantation.” His salary at Duke now stands at over $5 million a year. Seriously, that is one of their Very Serious Accusations against him, offered as proof that he is an apt symbol for the Rot of College Sports These Days. Sigh.

If we really need to honor an NCAA coach, I’d go with South Carolina’s Steve Spurrier. Not because his Gamecocks are particularly good, but because earlier this year he called for his fellow NCAA coaches to pay players Seriously? You think that a coach saying that we should just hurry up and pay the players is a better coach to honor? Sigh.....

The Onion though, the Onion...

diveonthefloor
12-06-2011, 06:20 PM
The article from the Nation was one of the most poorly crafted hit pieces I've ever read. Devoid of logic, full of unwarranted bias, and dripping with jealousy.

I didn't have a high opinion of the Nation before I read the article. Never found Katrina vanden Heuvel (editor) to be much of a journalist.
My opinion hasn't improved.

DesertDevil
12-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Zirin admits to being a Maryland fan. That explains it all, nothing but an inferiority complex.