07-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Friend sent me this link on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuykAJopZMA&mode=related&search=

Here's the Nolan dunk with better quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NZtPIr37LU

Va "Nolan is my man crush of this class" Dukie

mgtr
07-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Very nice. That is something that NS brings to the party that GP cannot (or does not) bring. However, GP is still my guy.

mapei
07-18-2007, 11:00 PM
Good stuff - wish I had a better sense of who was who, and that the two teams were wearing distinguishing clothing - it was especially to follow given the soft focus. But there was lots of good offense in that clip.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Good stuff - wish I had a better sense of who was who, and that the two teams were wearing distinguishing clothing - it was especially to follow given the soft focus. But there was lots of good offense in that clip.

Easy to distinguish Paulus making his 3's. And I guess Nolan Smith is the quick guard in the gray tee shirt. Zoubek was the 7'2" guy not yet limping. Who made the follow power dunk near the end? Was it Scheyer or Thomas or someone else (there was both a white guy and a black guy standing next to each other going up for the ball and I couldn't tell who threw it down)? Singler maybe?

mgtr
07-19-2007, 12:09 AM
Yes, I am assuming that Singler was Mr. Clean (= whiter than white). The other player may have been Thomas (I hope so, I would love to see that aggression from him).
This clearly is a pick up game where the object is to shoot. For some years, Dukes philosophy has been to let the guys play themselves into shape this way. Unfortunately this year hasn't worked out all that well.
The guys could, however, be more considerate and have numbered jerseys along with printed programs. Popcorn and beer for the fans is probably asking too much, though.

Lord Ash
07-19-2007, 12:24 AM
I am on a crap computer so I can't really watch! End of the week, back to the real computer!

The threes, Oz, are Taylor King, not GP. And yeah, Nolan is ATHLETIC. Haven't seen that kind of athleticisim in a while, as funny as that is to say!:)

dkbaseball
07-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Taylor King has no conscience whatsoever. Hope the coaching staff doesn't beat that confidence in the J out of him while trying to get him to play defense.

SilkyJ
07-19-2007, 12:04 PM
I am on a crap computer so I can't really watch! End of the week, back to the real computer!

The threes, Oz, are Taylor King, not GP. And yeah, Nolan is ATHLETIC. Haven't seen that kind of athleticisim in a while, as funny as that is to say!:)

Actually its a mixture some of the 3s were greg, and some where King. The deeeeep ones were king, and remember he is a lefty, so its easy to distinguish that way. The one where the guy checked the ball the quickly moved off a screen was greg

Yes, I am assuming that Singler was Mr. Clean (= whiter than white). The other player may have been Thomas (I hope so, I would love to see that aggression from him).

Yes and yes. It was singler with the slam and Lance following on as well.

hondoheel
07-19-2007, 04:15 PM
[Redacted]

Odd choice of username considering that post. Is your username sarcastic or did you choose it long ago before souring on Paulus?

Ah, nevermind. I see what it used to be. Was that a self made change or was it mod inflicted?

Too bad Duke has such a logjam at the 2 guard, because that would really be his best position.

mapei
07-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Who is the guy in the dark blue uni with a bit of a mustache talking to Paulus as the clip opens - and why does everyone look so p'd off there?

dkbaseball
07-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Who is the guy in the dark blue uni with a bit of a mustache talking to Paulus as the clip opens - and why does everyone look so p'd off there?

David McClure. Hooping is serious business.

SilkyJ
07-19-2007, 10:41 PM
David McClure. Hooping is serious business.

Not sure whether you were being sarcastic or not, but if you guys read that article about greg talkin smack to Jwill, apparently these guys are taking this seriously, which I am happy about (if they would stop breaking eachother's bones...)

I hope greg works on his quickness and overall speed this year b/c with his shooting, he could turn us into a real contender if he can stop penetration and create his own shot a little more. With more speed he can he could develop into a 2nd team all-acc player next year, easily. Please notice I am saying IF he can be faster. I think that will make it easier for him to create in the halfcourt, which = more points for him and others as he will draw the D and be able to dish for assists, and should have more time to make decisions and not force so many turnovers.

mapei
07-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Pretty unimpressive of me not to recognize McClure.

lavell12
07-20-2007, 01:16 AM
I couldn't tell who was the white guy in the grey shirt who was on the team with King and Nolan? Was is Pochius?

VaDukie
07-20-2007, 01:24 AM
I couldn't tell who was the white guy in the grey shirt who was on the team with King and Nolan? Was is Pochius?

I'm pretty sure it was.

gep
07-20-2007, 03:51 AM
I hope greg works on his quickness and overall speed this year b/c with his shooting, he could turn us into a real contender if he can stop penetration and create his own shot a little more. With more speed he can he could develop into a 2nd team all-acc player next year, easily. Please notice I am saying IF he can be faster.

I was wondering... he was an all-star high school football quarterback (OK, I know, high school), but, to be an all-star (and recruited by Notre Dame, no less), he must have had some kind of innate quickness, in addition to toughness. And, the fact that we've not seen his quickness yet was probably due to his injuries at Duke so far. So, maybe if he *is* actually healthy this year, that quickness that may actually be in him may well be displayed this year and next as we all desire.

Bob Green
07-20-2007, 04:48 AM
Every summer the conversation revolves around how Duke will be deeper this season than the previous season. I am a firm believer that Coach K uses depth when he has it. The questions I have for the board is how are you going to keep Taylor King off the court when he is such a deadly shooter? And how are you going to keep Nolan Smith off the court when he is so fast and strong going to the hoop? I really believe we will see Duke play a very deep rotation this coming season and we could actually see Coach K substitute five players at one time. Yes it is only July, but I'm feeling optimistic, though I have to admit the summer injuries are worrisome. If DeMarcus Nelson and Brian Zoubek recover from their injuries as projected, this coming season could be a special one. Am I crazy? Have I gone over the edge? Or do you guys share my optimism?

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

mgtr
07-20-2007, 07:35 AM
You are not crazy. We have had two superlative recruiting classes back to back, and that does give us lots of ammo. As others have remarked, we will be 11 players deep, a luxury that Coach K has not had in recent years. The stumbling block for new players to get time will be, as it always has been, defense without fouling. Hopefully those words get whispered in their ears over the summer.
And yes, I am optimistic and anxious for October.

whereinthehellami
07-20-2007, 08:42 AM
I hope greg works on his quickness and overall speed this year b/c with his shooting, he could turn us into a real contender if he can stop penetration and create his own shot a little more. With more speed he can he could develop into a 2nd team all-acc player next year, easily. Please notice I am saying IF he can be faster. I think that will make it easier for him to create in the halfcourt, which = more points for him and others as he will draw the D and be able to dish for assists, and should have more time to make decisions and not force so many turnovers.

There was a clip in the video where Smith took Paulus apart off the dribble with like two crossovers and then pulled up for 12 footer. It was very impressive on Smith's part and not so much on Paulus's part. I think it highlights two very big issues for next year:

The ability to shut down quick guards and stop penetration, can Greg do it by himself? In that clip (I know its just one play) you can really see his lack of lateral quickness.

The ability to penetrate on offense and create on the offensive end, not just shoot a 3. Smith looks to have a knack for getting in the lane and has a nasty crossover.

whereinthehellami
07-20-2007, 09:00 AM
The questions I have for the board is how are you going to keep Taylor King off the court when he is such a deadly shooter? And how are you going to keep Nolan Smith off the court when he is so fast and strong going to the hoop? If DeMarcus Nelson and Brian Zoubek recover from their injuries as projected, this coming season could be a special one.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

I'll think we'll be better than last year, especially considering the strength of the ACC. But against the top 10 teams I think we come up short. I guess I'll sound the pessimistic horn as I think we struggle on the following fronts:

Taylor King is a freshman who is slow footed and not known for his defense. How will he not struggle in the ACC? Teams will target him relentlessly when he is in the game and we do not have a shotblocker underneath to help. Coach K likes D.

The Zoubek injury is huge. In my mind, this season is a wash for him. The worse thing that could have happened to him. Not only does he not get quicker and more reps but he takes a step back. I hope I'm wrong but he has a huge hill to climb in front of him.

The Nelson injury is not as bad as Zoubek's but it is a setback. The kind of injury that can linger especially with his style of play. Again I hope I'm wrong but a very unfortunate turn of events for this senior.

Nolan Smith needs to play aggressive and confident. Hard to not defer and be blown away as a freshman in the ACC. See Henderson last year. Will be even harder to make a mark with so much talent in the backcourt.

Singler needs to try and dominate. Singler can do everything and excels with all of the little things. But can he push himeslef to dominate as a freshman? He needs to for the team's success.

Richard Berg
07-20-2007, 09:04 AM
My favorite part was toward the end, where Paulus made two sick passes. Getting confidence back in that part of his game is what will make him deadly. (and hey, I hear he can shoot too...gotta love the "screen the guy who gave the ball check" move, oldest trick in the book...)

Bob Green
07-20-2007, 09:06 AM
I'll think we'll be better than last year, especially considering the strength of the ACC. But against the top 10 I think we come up short. I guess I'll sound the pessimistic horn as I think we struggle on the following fronts:

Taylor King is a freshman who is slow footed and not known for his defense. How will he not struggle in the ACC? Teams will target him relentlessly when he is in the game and we do not a shotblocker underneath to help. Coach K like D.

The Zoubek injury is huge. In my mind, this season is a wash for him. The worse thing that could have happened to him. not only does he not get quicker and more reps but he takes a step back. I hope I'm wrong but he has a huge hill to climb in fron of him.

The Nelson injury is not as bad as Zoubek's but is a setback. The kind of injury that can linger especially with his style of play. Again I hope I'm wring but a very unfortunate turn of events for this senior.

Nolan Smith needs to play aggressive and confident. Hard to not defer and be blown away as a freshman in the ACC. See Henderson last year. Will be even harder to make a mark with so much talent in the backcourt.

Singler needs to try and dominate. Singler can do everything and all of the little things. But can he push himeslef to dominate as a freshman? He needs to for the team's success.

1. Taylor King will play inside on the defensive end of the court.
2. I agree that the Zoubek injury is huge but not that the season is a wash. Zoubek can still be a contributing factor in his sophomore year.
3. DeMarcus has had much bad luck during his career. We need him healthy.
4. Nolan Smith needs to play serious minutes early and often. We definitely agree on this point.
5. Singler needs to be special. Time will tell.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

yancem
07-20-2007, 10:32 AM
You are not crazy. We have had two superlative recruiting classes back to back, and that does give us lots of ammo. As others have remarked, we will be 11 players deep, a luxury that Coach K has not had in recent years. The stumbling block for new players to get time will be, as it always has been, defense without fouling. Hopefully those words get whispered in their ears over the summer.
And yes, I am optimistic and anxious for October.

Actually, we've had 3 superlative classes in a row. Unfortunately we lost 3 of 5 from the first of the 3 classes.

whereinthehellami
07-20-2007, 10:51 AM
1. Taylor King will play inside on the defensive end of the court.

People keep saying that King will mathup in the froncourt defensively in response to reports of his beeing challenged with athletiscm and foot speed. I think in some systems that might work but not with how Duke plays defense, overplaying the passing lanes and getting up in your man's face. I think the only way you can compensate for being slow footed is by playing smarter a la Larry Bird and being a step ahead of your opponent. And that takes time, experience. Hopefully King will suprise me but I see a Pocius like situation for him on defense. The big difference is his ability to shoot the ball and i hear he likes to shoot it. But how does that affect team morale, when you have a guy struggling on defense who takes alots of shots. I see King getting little more than spot duty unless we are struggling on offense and he can matchup with somebody on defense, ie. not a top tier team.

Troublemaker
07-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Every summer the conversation revolves around how Duke will be deeper this season than the previous season. I am a firm believer that Coach K uses depth when he has it. The questions I have for the board is how are you going to keep Taylor King off the court when he is such a deadly shooter? And how are you going to keep Nolan Smith off the court when he is so fast and strong going to the hoop? I really believe we will see Duke play a very deep rotation this coming season and we could actually see Coach K substitute five players at one time. Yes it is only July, but I'm feeling optimistic, though I have to admit the summer injuries are worrisome. If DeMarcus Nelson and Brian Zoubek recover from their injuries as projected, this coming season could be a special one. Am I crazy? Have I gone over the edge? Or do you guys share my optimism?

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Hey, anything's possible. I think, as with any other team, you'll see two rotations - one for competitive games and one for blowouts. For the blowouts, I could definitely see Coach K doing mass substitutions like he did in '98. The more we press fullcourt, the more it'll legitimize playing projected bench players like Pocius, McClure, Smith, Henderson, and King. The first four guys would probably thrive playing frenetic defense while King could thrive after the turnover is forced and the opposing team is struggling to get back and find shooters.

For the competitive games, we'll probably press less and shorten the rotation, which is normal, of course.

Clipsfan
07-20-2007, 01:11 PM
I was wondering... he was an all-star high school football quarterback (OK, I know, high school), but, to be an all-star (and recruited by Notre Dame, no less), he must have had some kind of innate quickness, in addition to toughness. And, the fact that we've not seen his quickness yet was probably due to his injuries at Duke so far. So, maybe if he *is* actually healthy this year, that quickness that may actually be in him may well be displayed this year and next as we all desire.

I don't know that what you say is necessarily true. First, quarterbacks don't have to be quick. Just because some of them (such as Vick) are quick, doesn't mean that's the standard. There are plenty of other ones out there that aren't all that quick (almost any other one...) Second, it's a different type of quickness on the football field than on the basketball court.

whereinthehellami
07-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Mike Paulus who signed with UNC as a quarterback is bigger and slower than Greg and was highly recruited for his smarts and arm strength. I belive he was offered scholarships to alot of the major players in football including USC, quite a coup for UNC.

throatybeard
07-20-2007, 04:20 PM

The video is grainy, but I think I saw Nick Horvath reverse dunking as he grasped the ball between his shoulder blades.

ACCBBallFan
07-20-2007, 04:49 PM
There was a clip in the video where Smith took Paulus apart off the dribble with like two crossovers and then pulled up for 12 footer. It was very impressive on Smith's part and not so much on Paulus's part. I think it highlights two very big issues for next year:

The ability to shut down quick guards and stop penetration, can Greg do it by himself? In that clip (I know its just one play) you can really see his lack of lateral quickness.

The ability to penetrate on offense and create on the offensive end, not just shoot a 3. Smith looks to have a knack for getting in the lane and has a nasty crossover.
It is not so much teams with one quick guard that will cause Duke's guards problems, but teams with two like Marquette.

Greg does not guard the fastest guy except on switches.that would be Nelson or Henderson or Smith or even Scheyer.

Though everybody only remembers VCU's Eric Maynor beating Jon in the final seconds, he is a pretty decent defender. Maynor just wisely used a move he had not used much that game until then.

For teams that play 3 guards, Paulus would guard the slowest one, but if they have a relatively tall SF, Greg will then have to defend the second quickest.

Nolan Smith could log some time, either as the quick defensder while Nelson rests or as the penetrating guard, but lots of good competition on the wings for Duke.

speedevil
07-20-2007, 04:51 PM
the things I noticed from the youTube clips.

1. No Gerald Henderson highlights, bummer
2. Nolan Smith is quick and confident
3. Greg Paulus is hitting the 3 point shot
4. Taylor King can shoot, but is in bad shape
5. Brian Zoubek has no hops

mgtr
07-20-2007, 08:45 PM
1-3 I agree completely.
4 I expect he will get his tail end run off over the next several months.
5 At 7' plus, he just needs to be able to stay between his man and the basket. Unfortunately, he cannot work on footwork the next two months.