PDA

View Full Version : Krzyzewski, Summitt named SI Sportsman, Sportswoman of year

Duvall
12-05-2011, 11:07 AM
The announcement (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/12/04/sportsman.announcement/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a3).

airowe
12-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Big time congrats! Thought he deserved it last year, but glad he's been recognized for his sustained greatness.

mike88
12-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Congratulations Coach K on being named 2011 Sportsmen of the Year- what a huge and well-deserved honor!

superdave
12-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Congrats to Pat Summitt. I could have done without the Title IX (http://www.modbee.com/2010/03/23/1099858/weighing-pros-cons-of-title-ix.html) praise. She would be wildly successful in any career.

JasonEvans
12-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Nice looking duo on the cover...

-Jason "a great honor for two giants of the sporting world" Evans

HCheek37
12-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Wow, my favorite coaches in college basketball being awarded at the same time. Truly deserving and an amazing tribute to their success. Definitely getting this SI framed. Wish I could be in NY on Tuesday night to see the presentation.

Maybe Coach should let Wojo or Collins coach vs Colorado St and just stay in NYC from Tuesday until the game Saturday....

fitimi1
12-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Both well deserved. Congratulations.

SmartDevil
12-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Indeed, both well deserved.

Sustained excellence....and that excellence achieved and sustained with an integrity that is all too often sadly lacking in coaching big time college basketball (and football).

Great picks, SI ! I'm reminded how much SI surpasses ESPN for quality and class.

sagegrouse
12-05-2011, 02:29 PM
OMG, Alexander Wolff will be the author of the piece. Let's see how he plays it.

sage

brevity
12-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Pleasantly surprised. When Dan Patrick said the announcement would come this morning, I spent the rest of my drive thinking about potential winners and quickly came up with the following hierarchy:

1. Tony LaRussa (dealing with the Pujols issue all season, coming out of nowhere to win the World Series, and retiring on top)
2. Mike Krzyzewski (for 903, and general sustained excellence)
3. Aaron Rodgers (a nice story, but not Drew Brees nice)
4. Novak Djokovic (the clear winner had the year ended in September)
5. Dirk Nowitzki (joining the pantheon after many of us counted him out)
6. Les Miles (dominating college football despite that schedule, those suspensions, and general BCS hatred)
7. Japanese women's soccer (winning the World Cup makes everyone forget about potential nuclear fallout)
8. Tim Tebow (creating a new house of worship on Sundays)
9. Tony Stewart (I ran out of ideas)

I can see how the Pat Summitt angle puts college hoops over the top. Glad Coach K finally got recognized, but I can't help but think that Carolina fans will claim this as only a half-victory. You know what I mean.

J4Kop99
12-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Wow, he definitely deserves it but I have to admit that I really did not see it coming. For whatever reason I just thought that if he did not win it last year, he wasn't going to win it this year... I'm glad to be pleasantly surprised by this news.

Congrats

J4Kop99
12-05-2011, 02:41 PM
http://www.danpatrick.com/2011/12/05/mike-krzyzewski-talks-about-being-si-sportsman-of-the-year-with-pat-summitt/

--That is audio from Coach K on Dan's show earlier this morning. You even get to hear Coach laugh a little about the recent beat-down in OSU.

Olympic Fan
12-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Maybe Coach should let Wojo or Collins coach vs Colorado St and just stay in NYC from Tuesday until the game Saturday....

If he did that, would we credit him with victory No. 908? I know the Carolina fans would insist that he get it, but according to their logic, he got the all-time victory record last year.

77devil
12-05-2011, 04:52 PM
OMG, Alexander Wolff will be the author of the piece. Let's see how he plays it.

sage

Here's a nice gem from the introduction.

"This year, despite a brutal early-season stretch in which the Blue Devils traveled to and from Hawaii and played eight games in 18 days, he made himself available on the phone; since 1984, when we spoke on the eve of the ACC Tournament final, I've found Krzyzewski on the phone to be better than most coaches in person."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/12/04/sportsman.announcement/index.html#ixzz1fhQbGOUe

OldPhiKap
12-05-2011, 05:01 PM
A great honor for two deserving coaches. Both of whom have done it their way, and the right way.

In the year of Sandusky, it is nice to remember that there are good guys and gals who do things right.

hurleyfor3
12-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Wow, he definitely deserves it but I have to admit that I really did not see it coming. For whatever reason I just thought that if he did not win it last year, he wasn't going to win it this year... I'm glad to be pleasantly surprised by this news.

Congrats

In the case of Summitt, there may have been an urge to recognize her while she still has a chance to fully appreciate it.

roywhite
12-05-2011, 05:38 PM
A great honor for two deserving coaches. Both of whom have done it their way, and the right way.

In the year of Sandusky, it is nice to remember that there are good guys and gals who do things right.

Including Joe Paterno, also a Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year.

SoCalDukeFan
12-05-2011, 06:28 PM
and very well deserved.

I thought K would get it last year. Surprised and delighted this year.

SoCal

kinsman_bob
12-05-2011, 07:19 PM
If you want to be depressed, run over to IC to see what the enlightened UNC fans are saying about Coach K's award. I guess we shouldn't expect any better from them, but I keep hoping. Sad

SoCalDukeFan
12-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Does this mean Coach K won't get it next year after coaching teams that win the 2012 NCAA Tournament and the 2012 Olympics?

Well Tiger won it twice.

SoCal

OldPhiKap
12-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Does this mean Coach K won't get it next year after coaching teams that win the 2012 NCAA Tournament and the 2012 Olympics?

Well Tiger won it twice.

SoCal

If anyone knows how to win something back to back . . . .

weezie
12-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Ha ha ha. Toothless knuckle-draggers over there. They are too hilarious. So sad to be doomed to the ugh blue.

Congratulations to Coach K. Thanks for taking us along on such a great ride.

devildeac
12-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Koach K kontinues to get all the kalls. Great honor and kongratulations! Now, on to Kolorado State and more rekruiting.;)

Starter
12-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Personally, I would have gone with either Dirk Nowitzki or Albert Pujols. But I easily would have picked Krzyzewski last year, when it went to Brees. And as one of the few honors he had yet to achieve (and one that I could see being particularly meaningful), I would imagine this will make Krzyzewski extremely happy.

uh_no
12-05-2011, 10:29 PM
In the case of Summitt, there may have been an urge to recognize her while she still has a chance to fully appreciate it.

Being from connecticut, I hate Coach Summitt.

That aside, she is an amazing person and coach, and what she is doing is extremely courageous. I have a family member who is afflicted with dementia, so I understand what the feeling must be like for herself, her family, and her players. I hope she goes on and is able to coach her teams to many more wins and more championships (so long as none of them come at the cost of a uconn championship :) )

fight on coach summitt!

jdj4duke
12-06-2011, 08:52 AM
If you want to be depressed, run over to IC to see what the enlightened UNC fans are saying about Coach K's award. I guess we shouldn't expect any better from them, but I keep hoping. Sad

Yeah- you won't find many, if any, sportsmen of any kind, much less of the year, over there. From the quality of some of the posts, I am not sure you will find a third grader of the week.