PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Wichita State 89, UNLV 70

Gthoma2a
12-04-2011, 08:51 PM
I suppose it is just that matchups make games, but it is kind of interesting that UNLV would be blown out after beating UNC. It makes me think that a friend of mine who is a UNC fan is right, UNC is not a great team, but they are a polished team. They don't have the ability to be great against a team having a really good night, but they coast at a high level. UNLV just came back down to Earth and got wiped out by a 5-2 team. Thoughts?

OldPhiKap
12-04-2011, 10:12 PM
I suppose it is just that matchups make games, but it is kind of interesting that UNLV would be blown out after beating UNC. It makes me think that a friend of mine who is a UNC fan is right, UNC is not a great team, but they are a polished team. They don't have the ability to be great against a team having a really good night, but they coast at a high level. UNLV just came back down to Earth and got wiped out by a 5-2 team. Thoughts?

Not sure it means much. Vegas had UNC at home (okay, not the floor they play on but still . . .) and played a great game. This sounds like a let-down game. Unfortunately, the transitive property only works in (Euclidian, three dimensional) mathematics.

Still, doesn't mean I'll refrain from using it tomorrow. Bwahaha.

cspan37421
12-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Clearly, there must be a UNC curse as well. :rolleyes:

brevity
12-05-2011, 06:09 AM
UNLV just came back down to Earth and got wiped out by a 5-2 team. Thoughts?

To be fair, Wichita State was not UNLV's first game after UNC. The Rebels went to Santa Barbara last week and beat UCSB in double overtime. That may not seem like much, but bear in mind that (1) UCSB had their number in recent years, and (2) it was UNLV's first game outside of the Las Vegas valley. Wichita was their second road game.

ACC fans are familiar with the phenomenon in which a mid-tier team makes things happen at home and then falls apart on the road. UNLV is probably better than that, but we'll see how they do in a pair of Big Ten road games: at Wisconsin this weekend, at Illinois the following weekend. I still think this is one of those non-major conference teams that locks up an at-large bid by February (and still gets to play the Mountain West tourney on their home floor).

hurleyfor3
12-05-2011, 08:06 AM
ACC fans are familiar with the phenomenon in which a mid-tier team makes things happen at home and then falls apart on the road. UNLV is probably better than that, but we'll see how they do in a pair of Big Ten road games: at Wisconsin this weekend, at Illinois the following weekend. I still think this is one of those non-major conference teams that locks up an at-large bid by February (and still gets to play the Mountain West tourney on their home floor).

Who's better in the Mountain West? For that matter, who's in the Mountain West nowadays?

lotusland
12-05-2011, 08:46 AM
No surprise really. Greg Marshall's teams are always well coached and play hard. The Shockers are no exception. NCSU should have made him their highest priority IMO. SC fans are already calling for GM to replace Horn. I think that will happen after this season.

Wander
12-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Wichita State is probably pretty decent, maybe an NCAA tournament team. I think they were favored in this game.

Bob Green
12-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Who's better in the Mountain West? For that matter, who's in the Mountain West nowadays?

Our next opponent is in the Mountain West Conference.