PDA

View Full Version : Battier targeted by the Heat

91_92_01_10_15
12-04-2011, 10:45 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Annlo_8OE0oCnvcPT5gd6yI5nYcB?slug=aw-wojnarowski_nba_free_agent_buzz_120311

Didn't see a thread on Battier's free agency, so I'm starting a new one. Feel free to move this if it belongs elsewhere.

miramar
12-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Mike Miller is hurt again, which opens up a spot for Shane in the Heat's rotation:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/02/2526968/miami-heats-udonis-haslem-says.html#storylink=misearch

The Heat were expecting big things from Miller last year, but he wasn't able to do much because of injuries, and they can't afford to have him out for the next two months.

moonpie23
12-04-2011, 01:40 PM
shane on the heat?? that would be awesome...

JG Nothing
12-04-2011, 02:07 PM

That would be awesome...ly terrible. I really, really dislike LeBron James. Would love to see Shane on the Mavs or another team I can stomach.

CDu
12-04-2011, 02:09 PM

Awesome for his chances of winning a championship. Not awesome in that I'd hate to have to see him play with the Heat.

CLW
12-04-2011, 03:31 PM
I don't want to be faced with the decision of having decide whether the power of Shane > my HATE for all things "King".

subzero02
12-04-2011, 03:31 PM
I would love to see Shane on the miami heat... I could see him playing a huge role in a championship run. A strong performance in a championship season would obviously only improve Duke's NBA reputation.

duke96
12-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I don't want to be faced with the decision of having decide whether the power of Shane > my HATE for all things "King".

Maybe Shane can help him see the (many) errors of his ways. I could see Shane being the glue that makes that team fulfill its potential.

nmduke2001
12-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Kevin Durant has said several times that he wants Shane on the Thunder. THAT would be a great fit.

cameroncrazy3104
12-04-2011, 09:12 PM
I live in Memphis and I could argue that Shane coming back to the Grizzlies was one of the best things to happen to not only the Grizzlies but this town last season. I know its on the bottom of the Grizzlies priority list for free agency that is topped by resigning Marc Gasol and finding a new backup big man. But if their is anyway Michael Hiesley could find the money to pay Shane, I honestly think something special could happen in Memphis this year. The team last, if not for a triple overtime loss, could have gone to the Western Conference finals, and that is without Rudy Gay. I know it is selfish of me, and I would love to see Shane win a championship before he is done in the league, but I think if the Grizzlies could pull it off, it would be so much more special for him at least. He probably is one of the top 5 most loved people in the city of Memphis, and I know he loves Memphis too. I wish him the best, but I have to say I just cant see him playing with Lebron on the Heat or Russel Westbrook with the Thunder, I think he would hate both of them, especially Westbrook.

Greg_Newton
12-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Awesome for his chances of winning a championship. Not awesome in that I'd hate to have to see him play with the Heat.

At least you'd get to see him play, though. Unless you had league pass or lived in Memphis last year, there wasn't much Shane on TV until the playoffs...

theAlaskanBear
12-04-2011, 10:05 PM
I would be excited to see Shane playing for the Heat on Christmas day.

That could be one of the best defensive teams in recent memory...A lineup of Wade, James, Battier, Bosh, and Haslem would be brutal to score against. It also gives Shane his best shot at an NBA ring.

elvis14
12-04-2011, 10:31 PM
You can add me to the list of guys that really would hate to see Shane go play for the Heat. I would be very conflicted. I pretty much always want the Heat to lose. I don't know why but LBJ just doesn't do it for me (note that means I don't like the guy for some reason, it's not a statement about his game or his ability which is off the charts).

UrinalCake
12-04-2011, 10:39 PM
...I just cant see him playing with Lebron on the Heat or Russel Westbrook with the Thunder, I think he would hate both of them, especially Westbrook.

What's his beef with Westbrook?

cameroncrazy3104
12-04-2011, 11:17 PM
What's his beef with Westbrook?

Im not saying he has an issue with him now. Im saying knowing Westbrooks personality just from what I see on tv, he is just about the opposite of Shane.

porkpa
12-05-2011, 04:57 AM
Shane playing for the Heat would be the only way I could possibly root for them. I would really love to see him on the Thunder.

brevity
12-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Financially, this is not a great idea. Shane Battier makes any team better, but I just don't see why the Heat would pay LeBron James so much money to come off the bench.

Troublemaker
12-05-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm rooting for Shane-to-Miami to happen.

I dislike the Heat, but their championships are coming. There might not be "six, seven, eight" of them like Lebron predicted but I can't imagine that there will be zero. The popular theory when Wade, Lebron, and Bosh teamed up was that if they were to be beaten, it would happen during their first year together. I don't think we should forget that notion or label Lebron a choker or the Heat incapable of winning just because they did get beat, barely, their first year together. They're going to win a championship, probably several.

So, to me, Shane to Miami is the only way to turn an inevitable, distasteful outcome into a positive one. I'm all about turning win/lose situations into win/win.

Matches
12-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Battier is essentially a perfect fit for the Heat. He would be great as a complimentary player who doesn't really require a lot of shots, but who can knock down an open one to keep defenses honest.

Man, I'd rather see him sign with the Thunder though. Or the Celtics for that matter.

wncdevilfan
12-05-2011, 09:43 AM
I don't keep up with the nba much, but wherever Shane goes, I think he will make the team better, and be a success. He is one of my all time favorite to wear the Duke uniform. He is just a winner. Good luck to him!!!

elvis14
12-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Financially, this is not a great idea. Shane Battier makes any team better, but I just don't see why the Heat would pay LeBron James so much money to come off the bench.

Thanks brevity, that was hilarious. Next thing we'll hear is that LBJ doesn't want Shane because he doesn't want to come off the bench.

I dislike the Heat, but their championships are coming. There might not be "six, seven, eight" of them like Lebron predicted but I can't imagine that there will be zero. The popular theory when Wade, Lebron, and Bosh teamed up was that if they were to be beaten, it would happen during their first year together. I don't think we should forget that notion or label Lebron a choker or the Heat incapable of winning just because they did get beat, barely, their first year together. They're going to win a championship, probably several.

So, to me, Shane to Miami is the only way to turn an inevitable, distasteful outcome into a positive one. I'm all about turning win/lose situations into win/win.

That's an interesting take on the situation Troublemaker. As much as I'd hate to see Shane play for the Heat, I do agree that the inevitable, distasteful outcome you describe is going to happen and I could see where celebrating a championship for Shane would make that less distasteful.

toooskies
12-05-2011, 12:43 PM
While I have nothing against the Thunder players themselves, I'd hate for their owner to win a championship. Although in Miami, I hate the organization from top to bottom.

So, I'd rather see him go to the Celtics. Or LA, where they always need chemistry guys to temper Kobe (or across town to temper the youth of the Clips). Or the Knicks, if they have cash. Or the Bulls.

Miami is a D-Wade injury away from being worse than all those teams, and that wouldn't be a huge surprise.

superdave
12-05-2011, 12:47 PM

Dirk and Jason Terry are another year older and Dallas has to re-sign Chandler. Kobe's knees are revolting against his body and Pau Gasol might be disgruntled. The Celtics need a 1:1 ration between players and trainers at this point, and they may not be able to re-sign Bib Baby. The up-and-comers - Bulls and Thunder - still have a lot to prove.

So grabbing Shane would be huge for Miami. If they could somehow also grab Tyson Chandler, they'd be the easy favorites.

Can they buy out Mike Miller's deal? Or amnesty him?

Matches
12-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Can they buy out Mike Miller's deal? Or amnesty him?

They can amnesty him, but I'm not sure his deal is SO bad that it's worth using a one-time-per-CBA exception on him. I actually think relatively few teams will end up doing an amnesty right away.

superdave
12-05-2011, 02:23 PM
They can amnesty him, but I'm not sure his deal is SO bad that it's worth using a one-time-per-CBA exception on him. I actually think relatively few teams will end up doing an amnesty right away.

But he's injured all the time and is eating up cap space. Amnesty Miller and you can maybe afford Tyson Chandler.

subzero02
12-05-2011, 02:36 PM
While I have nothing against the Thunder players themselves, I'd hate for their owner to win a championship. Although in Miami, I hate the organization from top to bottom.

So, I'd rather see him go to the Celtics. Or LA, where they always need chemistry guys to temper Kobe (or across town to temper the youth of the Clips). Or the Knicks, if they have cash. Or the Bulls.

Miami is a D-Wade injury away from being worse than all those teams, and that wouldn't be a huge surprise.

I believe the newly appointed team president is a Duke alum; he is also the owner's son.

Edit: the Miami Heat team president is Pat Riley... The Duke Alum I was referring to is Nick Arison; his title is vice president of basketball operations.

dcdevil2009
12-05-2011, 02:37 PM

No love for Duke alumnus Aubrey McClendon? If I'm going to root for NBA teams with former Duke players, I'm going to root for NBA teams with Duke owners too, even more so when the Thunder play the Bobcats.

phaedrus
12-05-2011, 02:38 PM
I believe the newly appointed team president is a Duke alum; he is also the owner's son.

Also a former team manager.

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2011/07/23/arison-becomes-new-ceo-of-miami-heat/

Matches
12-05-2011, 02:42 PM
But he's injured all the time and is eating up cap space. Amnesty Miller and you can maybe afford Tyson Chandler.

Maybe. I'll still be surprised if Cuban lets Chandler go. I'd think he'd amnesty Haywood to free up cap space before letting that happen.

dcdevil2009
12-05-2011, 02:57 PM

Maybe the Dukies in the NBA thread should include owners and management. Here are the four I've got so far off the top of my head, but maybe there are others: (1) Nick Arison - Miami Heat CEO, (2) Billy King - Nets GM, (3) Aubrey McClendon - 20% owner of Thunder, (4) Stephen Pagliuca - co-owner and managing partner of Celtics. Three of the four seem to have their teams on the right track. Are we getting to the point where there are more teams with Duke guys than without them?

COYS
12-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Maybe. I'll still be surprised if Cuban lets Chandler go. I'd think he'd amnesty Haywood to free up cap space before letting that happen.

I agree with this. Chandler is also a gamble for a cap-restrained team like the Heat because of his injury history and age. He's a difference maker, for sure, but the Heat would need to be confident that he's going to be healthy and productive for the next four seasons or else they'd wish they could amnesty Chandler and his soon-to-be pretty big contract.

Personally, I think the Heat would benefit from Battier even if he's lost a step defensively (and will probably lose a few more). His size would be a huge asset in a lineup of Wade, James, Battier, Haslem, and Bosh. On offense, Battier can become a Bruce Bowen-esque 3 who spots up for corner threes and keeps driving lanes open for Wade and James. Defensively, even if he's a bit slower than he used to be, he is still going to be a handful for most shooting guards and small forwards in the league. It would also mean that in a potential matchup with the improving Bulls, you could put James on Rose and allow Battier to handle Deng (although I'd hate to see Battier help take the Bulls out). Plus, you get his leadership and character on a team that is still working out it's chemistry. You'd also get Battier for fewer years, less money, and less risk than Chandler. If it's an either/or, I'd probably go with Battier if I were Riley and the Heat front office. Granted, a Bosh, Chandler, Wade, James and somebody at the three lineup would be impressive, as well. Haslem off the bench would be useful and Bosh wouldn't have to play center. But nevertheless, I still think Chandler has more risk for a slightly higher reward than Shane.

Billy Dat
12-06-2011, 02:37 PM
I'd love to see Shane on the Heat for several reasons:

-The Heat are going to be on TV all the time
-They are poised to win the championship if everyone stays healthy, ergo...
-When they do, Shane can get the credit as the guy who made it happen :p
-They are primed for a multi-championship run

As others have mentioned, despite the legit reasons related for hating the Heat (the Decision, the post Decision pep rally in Miami, the guarantee of many titles, the mocking Dirk during the finals, the ridiculous posturing, I could go on), the Heat are a Duke-related NBA franchise, which only makes sense considering how despised they are.

I'd love to see Shane end his career playing deep into the playoffs for a few years and, maybe, even winning a title or two.

gep
12-06-2011, 11:14 PM
I'd love to see Shane on the Heat for several reasons:

-The Heat are going to be on TV all the time
-They are poised to win the championship if everyone stays healthy, ergo...
-When they do, Shane can get the credit as the guy who made it happen :p
-They are primed for a multi-championship run

As others have mentioned, despite the legit reasons related for hating the Heat (the Decision, the post Decision pep rally in Miami, the guarantee of many titles, the mocking Dirk during the finals, the ridiculous posturing, I could go on), the Heat are a Duke-related NBA franchise, which only makes sense considering how despised they are.

I'd love to see Shane end his career playing deep into the playoffs for a few years and, maybe, even winning a title or two.

First bold... I've read that Shane is also a great locker room teammate. So, yes... Shane will get the credit :cool::cool: YEAH!!!

Second bold... Duke : Heat. Shane : WIN (don't know if this makes sense, but whatever!!!)