PDA

View Full Version : FB: ACCCG - Virginia Tech v Clemson

throatybeard
12-03-2011, 08:30 PM
We'll see if Virginia Tech can win their fifth ACC Championship since entering the league in 2004-2005. (They've won three of these games, and lost another narrowly, but they also won the league during the transitional year before Boston College joined up).

My God is there a lot of orange in the stadium. The Clemson people sound louder. VT is wearing their throwback helmets again.

Kind of a pain for Clemson that they have to beat VT again after doing it once, handily, in Blacksburg. I wonder, if VT had won that game and was undefeated at present, how would they stack up against one-loss Bama in the computers.

Bob Green
12-03-2011, 08:42 PM
The 1st Quarter has been entertaining. VT gave Clemson an early turnover with a fumble on their first possession, but they just marched down the field and scored to knot the game at 7-7. I find myself pulling for VT, which makes me feel dirty, but the ACC needs a 12-1 team representing the conference in the Orange Bowl.

Bob Green
12-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Wow! Clemson up 24-10. The 3rd Quarter has been all Clemson. The Tigers have shutdown VT's running game.

Newton_14
12-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Wow! Clemson up 24-10. The 3rd Quarter has been all Clemson. The Tigers have shutdown VT's running game.

It is amazing how different (and much better) Clemson is with the Watkins kid than without. Night and day difference. I wish they could have had him for every game.

throatybeard
12-03-2011, 10:31 PM

Just all sorts of field position problems for the Hokies.

31-10. So we're going to have a three-loss team in a BCS bowl. Clemson and WVU in the Orange Bowl?

Newton_14
12-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Just all sorts of field position problems for the Hokies.

31-10. So we're going to have a three-loss team in a BCS bowl. Clemson and WVU in the Orange Bowl?

That would be my guess.

Edit: Meanwhile, Okie St is killing the Sooners...

throatybeard
12-03-2011, 10:34 PM
That would be my guess.

It's an RThomas reunion!

superdave
12-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Wisco v. Sparty. Closer game. Gus Johnson. FYI.

Bob Green
12-03-2011, 11:32 PM
The 2nd half just wasn't competitive. Clemson dominated on the way to a 38-10 victory. Congratulations to Klemnop and the Tigers.

Duvall
12-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Wisco v. Sparty. Closer game. Gus Johnson. FYI.

Oh, is Gus calling this game? I hadn't noticed.

throatybeard
12-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Oh, is Gus calling this game? I hadn't noticed.

He just doesn't have his basketball-related je ne sais quoi when he's calling football. There's no "rise and fire!" or "purrrrrrrrrrrrre." He needs to develop a football lexicon.

-bdbd
12-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Lots of major Hokie fans up here in Virginia busily/angrily cancelling flight reservations to Miami...

So, what are the ACC bowl expectations now? Obviously Clemson to the Orange, but is there any realistic chance VPI gets picked up for a BCS at-large selection? Who goes to the to the ACC's #2, the Chic-fil-a in Atlanta - FSU or VaTech? I think then Champs (Orlando) goes third with the ACC, and I'd heard they were hoping for Notre Dame and FSU...

Olympic Fan
12-04-2011, 01:21 AM
Lots of major Hokie fans up here in Virginia busily/angrily cancelling flight reservations to Miami...

So, what are the ACC bowl expectations now? Obviously Clemson to the Orange, but is there any realistic chance VPI gets picked up for a BCS at-large selection? Who goes to the to the ACC's #2, the Chic-fil-a in Atlanta - FSU or VaTech? I think then Champs (Orlando) goes third with the ACC, and I'd heard they were hoping for Notre Dame and FSU...

Infintesimal chance that Virginia Tech gets a BCS at-large bid.

Almost certainly Clemson vs. West Virginia in the Orange (WVU is part of a three-way tie in the Big East and appear to be the highest ranked BCS team which is the tiebreaker)

Chick-fil-A (aka Peach) Bowl has the second ACC pick -- seems likely they take Virginia Tech (actually, because of the one-win rule, they have to take VPI ahead of any 5-3 ACC team) against the No. 5 SEC team. That would seem to be South Carolina. But I think with two SEC teams in the BCS picture, there will be a domino effect and the Chick-Fil-A gets stuck with 7-5 Auburn or 6-6 Florida.

Champs Bowl in Orlando picks next -- the rumor is they will match Florida State against Notre Dame

The Sun Bowl picks next and reportedly will take Georgia Tech.

The Belk Bowl in Charlotte picks next. I know they would like UNC, but because of the one-win rule, they can't take 3-5 UNC while 5-3 Wake and 5-3 Virginia are on the board. But they can take 4-4 NC State ... and I think that's what they'll do.

[Just to be clear, the one-win rule means the bowls have to pick either the team with the best ACC record available or one within one victory of the best-available team in the standings].

The Music City Bowl picks next. They have to pick Virginia or Wake ... my guess is Virginia.

The Independence Bowl is next and they'd have to pick Wake over UNC.

That means UNC gets the Military Bowl in Washington, DC.

With Miami opting out of a bowl, that means the ACC does not have a team for the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in San Francisco.