PDA

View Full Version : Have we talked about this book? Classy title by two Carolina grads

summerwind03
12-03-2011, 10:03 AM
My "friend" linked to the Amazon ad from Facebook:

http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Sucks-Completely-Even-Handed-Investigation/dp/1250004632

I'm not really bent out of shape about it, but will be a little surprised if this gets much traction.

nyr484
12-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #86,147 in Books

Devilsfan
12-03-2011, 10:10 AM
The only thing I can say positive about these two clowns is that they learned how to spell Duke. Someone should write a book about famous poster boys from Chapel Hill. Nifong, Edwards, Davis, etc.

cspan37421
12-03-2011, 10:29 AM
This would apply to authors of this book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

every reader will be dumber for having read it.

SmartDevil
12-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Surprised to see it is published by St. Martins, now owned by Macmillan. Apparently this bears the Griffin imprint which is their division for "mainstream trade paperbacks."

I'm also surprised to see Amazon list such a disgusting summary of the book under "Book Description."
Some excerpts:

*In the ranks of college basketball, Duke is like something scraped off the bottom of a shoe. It’s like a nasty virus you catch from a door handle at a public toilet.

*The Plumlees are three times as worthless. Coach K is a jerk.

*Duke really is evil, and within these pages, Reed Tucker and Andy Bagwell....build an airtight case that could stand up in a court of law.

I wonder if upon complaint by a number of people, Amazon would bar such inflammatory and derogatory language?

enick66
12-03-2011, 10:41 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Sucks-Completely-Even-Handed-Investigation/dp/1250004632

I'm not really bent out of shape about it, but will be a little surprised if this gets much traction.

It is kind of nice to see UNC fans drop to the level of Maryland fans. Typically it had been the Maryland fans that sunk to this level. I'm happy to see UNC fans embracing such a low pedestal.

enick66
12-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Surprised to see it is published by St. Martins, now owned by Macmillan. Apparently this bears the Griffin imprint which is their division for "mainstream trade paperbacks."

I'm also surprised to see Amazon list such a disgusting summary of the book under "Book Description."
Some excerpts:

*In the ranks of college basketball, Duke is like something scraped off the bottom of a shoe. It’s like a nasty virus you catch from a door handle at a public toilet.

*Duke really is evil, and within these pages, Reed Tucker and Andy Bagwell....build an airtight case that could stand up in a court of law.

I wonder if upon complaint by a number of people, Amazon would bar such inflammatory and derogatory language?

I'm pretty sure Amazon just posts the summary written by the authors or editors. In my opinion, things like this are best ignored. I'm sure the authors would love nothing more than the Duke Basketball community loudly complaining about their book. In fact, they'd probably use it as a seal of approval.

phaedrus
12-03-2011, 11:44 AM
It is kind of nice to see UNC fans drop to the level of Maryland fans. Typically it had been the Maryland fans that sunk to this level. I'm happy to see UNC fans embracing such a low pedestal.

I agree. I find the whole thing flattering.

Ima Facultiwyfe
12-03-2011, 12:00 PM

To quote a chuckling Shane Battier who once off handedly said, "Yeah, they're pretty serious about stuff over there."
Love, Ima

Mike Corey
12-03-2011, 12:06 PM
This book was better the first time it was written by Will Blythe (http://www.amazon.com/Hate-Like-This-Happy-Forever/dp/0060740248/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322931860&sr=1-2-fkmr0).

Either way, I'm glad to know that Duke is helping the fledgling book industry by giving a nattering nabob from the NYPost something to write about other than A-Rod's sex life.

Troublemaker
12-03-2011, 12:43 PM
The title of every Duke-hating book or column should be "Duke Grads Are Successful, I'm Jealous, and Therefore I'm Going to Hate Duke's Men's Basketball Team, Especially Projecting All Negative Stereotypes of Arrogant Successful People onto Duke's White Players."

Not a catchy title, I know. But at least it'd be honest.

Devilsfan
12-03-2011, 12:59 PM
I love the content of the title.

airowe
12-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Andy Bagwell (http://www.linkedin.com/in/andybagwell)

77devil
12-03-2011, 06:23 PM

Profile is, let's say, unimpressive.

slower
12-03-2011, 06:32 PM

Gotta confess that I knew Andy Bagwell when he went to UNC. He was a member of a campus comedy troupe, so the book may be part of his "performer" persona. He was actually a decent guy. But he's a Heel, and that apparently trumps any of his finer qualities. :)

cspan37421
12-03-2011, 07:00 PM

Some excerpts:

Excerpts like these display such inane and childish thinking that their only likely effect is to diminish the regard in which the authors are held by neutral parties in particular and mature people in general.

uh_no
12-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Excerpts like these display such inane and childish thinking that their only likely effect is to diminish the regard in which the authors are held by neutral parties in particular and mature people in general.

I hope people realize the book is a joke. Their audience is UNC fans, don't forget that.

If someone wrote a book called "stupid things UNC says and does" and ripped on UNC, do you not think there would be a lot of people here who lap it up? (just take a look at the recent roy thread for confirmation that the answer is "yes")

NovaScotian
12-03-2011, 08:55 PM
I hope people realize the book is a joke. Their audience is UNC fans, don't forget that.

If someone wrote a book called "stupid things UNC says and does" and ripped on UNC, do you not think there would be a lot of people here who lap it up? (just take a look at the recent roy thread for confirmation that the answer is "yes")

your attempts at fairness and sanity are unwelcome here.

miramar
12-04-2011, 12:36 AM

I don't think Maryland fans would actually be able to write en entire book, even one that seems to be as simplistic and as bad as this one. I realize that they are trying to be funny, but if the book is anything like the description, I suspect that it will make readers repeat Queen Victoria's memorable "We are not amused."

captmojo
12-04-2011, 10:26 AM

Should anyone attept to write this book, it's comparison in length to others, would cause one to consider their copies of War and Peace to be relegated to consideration for the bathroom magazine rack.

It might never be written, due to it's gargantuan size and extreme number of volumes. It appears also, that since there will never be an end to it's ongoing continuance, it could never be completed. Subscription services would have to offered and the author(s) could never have enough available time for any other projects.

MulletMan
12-06-2011, 03:20 PM
See... the great irony here is that most of us wouldn't have known about this bit of drivel if the OP hadn't bothered to post a link.

"Hey... this really is stupid! Look at it and bring more attention to it! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Honestly, who cares what some half-baked "journalist" writes about Duke? Why bother bringing attention to it?

captmojo
12-06-2011, 09:01 PM
See... the great irony here is that most of us wouldn't have known about this bit of drivel if the OP hadn't bothered to post a link.

"Hey... this really is stupid! Look at it and bring more attention to it! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Honestly, who cares what some half-baked "journalist" writes about Duke? Why bother bringing attention to it?

It was too darn easy to make fun of...back at. :D