PDA

View Full Version : The News and Record is a joke

Lord Ash
12-01-2011, 06:42 AM
Seriously....?

http://www.news-record.com/blog/64298/entry/132926

They are literally to the point of Duke bashing that some random employee writes are article about how much more tired he is than Duke basketball players, and how much tougher he has it, and how Duke has no right to talk about being tired, and even attempts a sort of chart to prove how much tougher he has it?

Ah, how the Internet has helped "journalism". Anyone can write anything and never once worry about an editor telling them "Uhm this is garbage."

And DBR really shouldn't link this tripe.

DUKIE V(A)
12-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Did I miss the part about where the marathon runner participated in another athletic competition upon returning to the Triangle? :confused:

Seriously though, this is sad. I don't think many people really used the team being tired as an excuse for the loss (and certainly the team did not). In my mind, emotional exhaustion may have played some role but mainly just OSU being the better team and outplaying Duke.

Still, you have to wonder what might have been if it hadn't been for that parenthetical and unspecified mechanical delay. Perhaps a follow up article is in order. I need a detailed breakdown of how each player used the delay before forming a final and official opinion on the matter. :o

Jackson352
12-01-2011, 07:57 AM
My brain hurts now. I'd heard fatigue (emotional/physical) get thrown around as a possible factor in the loss, but this guy apparently believes that it's the official reason. He must be suffering mental fatigue after doing all that running, because that was some of the stupidest **** ever.

ChrisP
12-01-2011, 08:56 AM
My first job out of Duke was working for the News & Record. I left a long time ago, but even back then it was a joke of a paper. Other than obits, local news, and sudoku every day, I honestly can't believe anyone reads it any longer. I don't recognize the name of the clown who wrote that blog post or whatever it was, but it's not exactly the Washington Post or NY Times. It's a small-time paper and it attracts small-time talent.

Lord Ash
12-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Just read elsewhere that the author is a UNC grad. Surprising.

dukeman28428
12-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Exactly why I dropped this paper years ago.

Biased and poor articles.

jv001
12-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Just read elsewhere that the author is a UNC grad. Surprising.

We have to put up with the unc sports writers here in Winston Salem as well. These writers have two slants to most of their articles. 1. hate on Duke 2. Love on unc. GoDuke!

dukelifer
12-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Seriously....?

http://www.news-record.com/blog/64298/entry/132926

They are literally to the point of Duke bashing that some random employee writes are article about how much more tired he is than Duke basketball players, and how much tougher he has it, and how Duke has no right to talk about being tired, and even attempts a sort of chart to prove how much tougher he has it?

Ah, how the Internet has helped "journalism". Anyone can write anything and never once worry about an editor telling them "Uhm this is garbage."

And DBR really shouldn't link this tripe.

I don't get it. Did this guy win the race or lose by 2 or 3 hrs? Sounds like he got blown away as well. Maybe lesson is long travel leads to big losses in running and bball.

mkline09
12-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Just another in a long line of "journalists" or "bloggers" who are using the "its fashionable to write something derogatory about Duke," technique to get readers. I've worked in a few news rooms and among the sports departments it was quite normal to hear a discussion where the writers would take shots at Duke and especially K. Most were unc J-school folks, though I did know a guy that was a Maryland grad so you can guess what he thought. I left journalism a while ago, though I started my own blog just to get that writing fix in. But the standards in the news room were declining even then. The goal is to get what few readers left to continue to read so you can get money from advertisers. For most this means "tabloid" journalism is in high fashion. Pick hot button issues that stir emotions and run with it whether is is factural or not. The only thing I can say about that piece is typical.

Edit: I couldn't help but notice of the defensive nature of the writers responses to the comments. He said "Duke basketball and I are just fun and game," at the end of one column. No, I'm guessing he wasn't expecting anything but positive feedback when he wrote that so that was his way of trying to smooth things over.

devilirium
12-01-2011, 11:23 AM
I think we're being a tad oversensitive. I mean it wasn't the best tongue and cheek article, but this was pretty harmless--nothing like the Luke DeCock line that we saw earlier in the N & O. In general, I don't think local news coverage is great, anyway--and I don't subscribe that it's going to change people's opinions. Someone could write a great piece about Duke's stamina, and it wouldn't matter to the haters.

Starter
12-01-2011, 11:30 AM
I agree, I didn't really think this was some Curry Kirkpatrick-esque slam. He's not even a basketball writer, and as a runner myself, I actually thought -- don't kill me here -- it was kind of funny. (Plus, I've run two marathons, both faster than this guy! He needs to step up his game.) I'd say save the righteous indignation for when it's really needed -- the loutish Andrew Sharp, for one.

devil84
12-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm amused that he chose to publicize the fact that he has very poor planning skills. Getting in to France from the USA only 16 hours before a marathon? Not the brightest of bulbs.

dcdevil2009
12-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Tabloid journalism might be a little harsh. It wasn't news, just tongue-in-cheek attempt to call out Duke for what was obviously not our best game. No one on the team used being tired as an excuse for the loss, so who cares if someone wants to take a shot saying fatigue shouldn't be an excuse?

As I'm sure most of the News and Record's readership hates Duke, the guy was just catering to his audience. An opinion piece hating on Duke is a smart column choice because it will generate readers and a strong response, as this thread indicates. It wasn't like the column was mean-spirited or too over-the-top. Columns like this just come with the territory when you're one of the most prominent programs in the country and by far the most polarizing. When we get beat, people are going to take shots. We shouldn't let an article like this get to us as fans; when we do, it only makes people want to take them more often.

Devilsfan
12-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Please! Someone find out where this writer went to school and what was his GPA?

oldnavy
12-01-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm amused that he chose to publicize the fact that he has very poor planning skills. Getting in to France from the USA only 16 hours before a marathon? Not the brightest of bulbs.

Also that he refers to himself as a "competitor"... with that finishing time he was more or less a "participant". He was is no competition with anyone but himself...

sagegrouse
12-01-2011, 06:26 PM
I thought it was amusing -- and harmless. And, of course, he's gonna mention Duke. Who else is he gonna talk about? Wake? Or Guilford?

sage

devildeac
12-01-2011, 06:28 PM
I thought it was amusing -- and harmless. And, of course, he's gonna mention Duke. Who else is he gonna talk about? Wake? Or Guilford?

sage

UNC-G? Elon? Oh, wait, they did beat USC;).

Verga3
12-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Please! Someone find out where this writer went to school and what was his GPA?

UNC grad...good guy. Sure his GPA beat me. Let's chill. Getting upset/defensive about this is not very attractive.

oldnavy
12-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Also that he refers to himself as a "competitor"... with that finishing time he was more or less a "participant". He was is no competition with anyone but himself...

Just re-read this post and I need to clarify something. I sounded condescending. I am not knocking the guy, anyone who runs and finishes a marathon deserves respect for the discipline it takes. I just wanted to point out that he was not really "competing" in the sense that he was going to win the race...

I "ran" two marathons in Okinawa. The first one I knew I was in big trouble when a guy in a swan suit passed me....It got worse. I actually contemplated jumping in front of a bus at about the 14 mile marker. We were out in some backwater pineapple field and I knew that if I got hit, the locals would recognize me as an American and ship me to the Naval Hospital!!! Of course it was about 85 friggin degrees that day and sunny! I "finished" in about 5 hours. Marathons suck.

jimsumner
12-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Just re-read this post and I need to clarify something. I sounded condescending. I am not knocking the guy, anyone who runs and finishes a marathon deserves respect for the discipline it takes. I just wanted to point out that he was not really "competing" in the sense that he was going to win the race...

I "ran" two marathons in Okinawa. The first one I knew I was in big trouble when a guy in a swan suit passed me....It got worse. I actually contemplated jumping in front of a bus at about the 14 mile marker. We were out in some backwater pineapple field and I knew that if I got hit, the locals would recognize me as an American and ship me to the Naval Hospital!!! Of course it was about 85 friggin degrees that day and sunny! I "finished" in about 5 hours. Marathons suck.

85 degrees! Ouch. That's about 30 degrees too hot for a marathon.

devildeac
12-02-2011, 11:25 PM
85 degrees! Ouch. That's about 30 degrees too hot for a marathon.

For me, it's about 30 degrees too hot and 13.1 miles too long. My longest race was a 1/2 marathon and I finished in about 89 minutes after walking most of the last mile 'cuz I could barely bend my left knee. I was not able to run for about 4 days after that and never ran a race longer than 10K after that although I did accompany the women's division winner of the Greensboro Marathon in 1980 for a shade less than 1/2 the race;).

ForkFondler
12-03-2011, 12:16 AM
For me, it's about 30 degrees too hot and 13.1 miles too long. My longest race was a 1/2 marathon and I finished in about 89 minutes after walking most of the last mile 'cuz I could barely bend my left knee. I was not able to run for about 4 days after that and never ran a race longer than 10K after that although I did accompany the women's division winner of the Greensboro Marathon in 1980 for a shade less than 1/2 the race;).

So, there we have it. it would be cruel to expect a writer who has run a marathon in Greensboro to write a cogent article about Duke basketball.

jimsumner
12-03-2011, 11:25 AM
So, there we have it. it would be cruel to expect a writer who has run a marathon in Greensboro to write a cogent article about Duke basketball.

Perhaps the excessive heat fried his brain.

captmojo
12-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Perhaps the excessive heat fried his brain.

If only that excessive heat could be spread throughout his entire body, it would possibly prevent reproduction. Alas...