PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke - Purdue

wandalee
11-30-2011, 09:54 PM
The women take on Purdue in the ACC - Big Ten Challenge. Gametime is 7:00 at Cameron. Purdue is ranked #13, so it should be a good matchup.

ChrisP
11-30-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm confused...isn't the Purdue game tomorrow night (12/1)?

awhom111
11-30-2011, 11:57 PM
Yes, this is tomorrow. The Big Ten won 5 out of 7 matchups today so it will be tough to turn things around for the conference tomorrow.

The game will be on ESPN3 with none other than Abby Waner doing the commentary.

chrishoke
12-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Let's go Devils. Boil the makers.

DU82
12-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Good start on D. Good ball movement offensively, but again can't get the relatively easy shotsmto go down. Elizabth's missed everything, getting the ball knocked out when she goes up. Haley is hitting the mid range jumpers, that's the best offensive play we have so far.

Jim3k
12-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Duke wins, 64-53.

awhom111
12-01-2011, 10:41 PM
The conference had a better day on Thursday and pulled even to end the challenge 6-6.

Kedsy
12-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Nice win for Duke. We missed a lot of layups, but they seemed to be good shots. Good defense, good sharing of the ball on offense. Altogether a fun game to watch and win. Go Duke!

chrishoke
12-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Nice win for Duke. We missed a lot of layups, but they seemed to be good shots. Good defense, good sharing of the ball on offense. Altogether a fun game to watch and win. Go Duke!

To your point, EW was 2-17 from the field. That hardly seems possible.

Lid
12-02-2011, 08:24 AM
To your point, EW was 2-17 from the field. That hardly seems possible.

I really felt for her. She was working like crazy to get offensive boards, but none of her subsequent put backs would fall. One of those bizarre night for her.

Special shout out to Vernerey, whose offense keyed a pivotal stretch for the Devils. Also not an everyday occurrence. Great to get this win.

devildeac
12-02-2011, 08:45 AM
I really felt for her. She was working like crazy to get offensive boards, but none of her subsequent put backs would fall. One of those bizarre night for her.

Special shout out to Vernerey, whose offense keyed a pivotal stretch for the Devils. Also not an everyday occurrence. Great to get this win.

Maybe EW could have a "jam" session with the Plumli "triplets." (jk)

jimsumner
12-02-2011, 11:28 AM

Williams had one of the strangest stat lines I've ever seen. 2-17 from the field, all within five feet or so. But also 17 rebounds and four blocks. Purdue doubled her at every opportunity, which left space for Peters to operate. And Haley was 7-11 from the field. She was Duke's best player last night.

Vernerey making three lay-ups was nothing unusual. But all three were with her right hand. Man bites dog.

With Selby out, Duke is down to two upperclassmen, Vernerey and Scheer. Vernerey played seven minutes last night, Scheer four. In other words, 189 of Duke's 200 player-minutes last night went to freshmen and sophomores.

That's young. Patience might be in order.

BTW, I'm told that Selby's suspension will be revisited after Christmas.

CameronBornAndBred
12-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Williams had one of the strangest stat lines I've ever seen. 2-17 from the field, all within five feet or so. But also 17 rebounds and four blocks.

So she got all her own rebounds and was able to put back 2 of them. :rolleyes:
I have not been able to watch any games yet this year, but I hope this is not a sign of more frustrating underneath the basket shooting. It drives me crazy each year how many layups (not all contested, either) are missed. Every year I joke that we need an in-the-lane shooting clinic, but jeez, maybe we actually do. Obviously the women can't dunk it like the men do, but it's still disheartening to see that more don't fall. I wouldn't complain much if it just seemed to be inherant to the women's game, but the fact is that most of the elite teams (and I do consider Duke to be one) make those shots.
Just a venting, and I'm sure EW had an off night. It happens to all players.

As far as hearing about AV, that rocks. She has impressed more each year, I'm sure by the time she graduates she will be one of my all time favorites.