PDA

View Full Version : Roy Hating on UNC fans AGAIN

oldnavy
11-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Is this even worth talking about anymore?? What a sad attempt to show the world how tough he is...

I guess now Ol Roy wants to meet the "sucker" that sold his tickets to a UNLV fan "face to face", he said he is trying to find out who it is.... and then what mountain man?? Going to challenge him to a pistol dual? Revoke his Ram's Club Card??? Punch him?? What if it is a little blue haired old lady who couldn't make the trip?? Going to get in her face??

Only Roy, the insecure sap that he is would take it personal that someone sold a ticket to a fan from a different school... Is he ever going to get over himself?

OldPhiKap
11-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Is this even worth talking about anymore?? What a sad attempt to show the world how tough he is...

I guess now Ol Roy wants to meet the "sucker" that sold his tickets to a UNLV fan "face to face", he said he is trying to find out who it is.... and then what mountain man?? Going to challenge him to a pistol dual? Revoke his Ram's Club Card??? Punch him?? What if it is a little blue haired old lady who couldn't make the trip?? Going to get in her face??

Only Roy, the insecure sap that he is would take it personal that someone sold a ticket to a fan from a different school... Is he ever going to get over himself?

If only the fans and players cared about Carolina as much as he does.

Oh wait, I forgot. He doesn't give a @#$@ about Carolina.

My bad.

oldnavy
11-29-2011, 01:14 PM
If only the fans and players cared about Carolina as much as he does.

Oh wait, I forgot. He doesn't give a @#$@ about Carolina.

My bad.

I seem to remember that he has more passion about UNC in his little finger than all the other UNC fans....

wilko
11-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Roy dislikes UNC fans almost as much as I do.
whodathunkit

oldnavy
11-29-2011, 01:20 PM
I seem to remember that he has more passion about UNC in his little finger than all the other UNC fans....

Sorry, misquoted Roy, looked it up he said: " I have more desire in my little finger than all of the dadgum Carolina fans in the world".

OldPhiKap
11-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Roy dislikes UNC fans almost as much as I do.
whodathunkit

I think the distinction you're reaching for is "contempt" versus "distain"

wilko
11-29-2011, 01:25 PM
I think the distinction you're reaching for is "contempt" versus "distain"

Just pointing out that Roy and I have something in common..

OldPhiKap
11-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Just pointing out that Roy and I have something in common..

So am I.

On a different point: when K won #903 and they were interviewing former players, JWill said that K loves to be hated by opposing fans. It really fires him up and sets him out to prove something. Roy's skin is so thin he can hear his organs working. Toughen up, Droopy.

Roy really needs some better meds. Just sayin'.

Reilly
11-29-2011, 01:32 PM
I thought Roy agreed to only speak his true feelings to his massage therapist?

In other news, UNLV t-shirts are the hot Christmas gift in Haiti this year ...

wilko
11-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Toughen up, Droopy.
That right there is solid gold my friend...

OldPhiKap
11-29-2011, 01:50 PM
That right there is solid gold my friend...

I wish I was half as funny as some of the posters on IC. Some are (rightfully) pushing back a bit.

Who knew that the fans lost the game for Roy. I kind of thought it was his refusal to call a time out or defend the three. But what do I know?

CameronBornAndBred
11-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Roy talking about the desire to have heels fans emulate the UNLV fans....
“My team could never hear what I was yelling at them out on the court, and during the timeouts, they struggled to hear what I said,’’ Williams said. “So many times, I was yelling things on the court, and that’s the kind of home-court advantage we need to have Wednesday night, because they were sensational.”

Gee, that sounds like Cameron for every game. If he wants that atmosphere, he better pack his stuff up and move the team back to Carmichael.

oldnavy
11-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Here's the thing for me. I understand that having an oppossing fan in your ear would be worrisome for most people. I get that. But why air it out in public on your radio show?? Complain to your wife, Woody Durham, your massage therapist, whomever, but why the need to puff yourself up as some big defender of UNC/Roy Williams and call out the person?

Why not just quitely find out if you can, who had that ticket and give them a call to say that in the future, if you need to sell off a ticket, call me and I will buy it from you and give it to a true fan of Roy Williams, err... I mean UNC.

Also, why think that because that fan is sitting there that YOU have been betrayed? Note that Roy said you were either for HIM or against HIM, not UNC, not the PLAYERS, but HIM, ROY, ROY WILLIAMS, good Ol Roy.... that is what makes me want to heave whenever he opens his mouth.

CLT Devil
11-29-2011, 07:12 PM
If there's no middle ground how does he wear a Kansas sticker on his sweater after they beat the Tar out of the Heels?

Out of the many ironies in this latest incident from Roymy favorite is if you go to the UNC Athletics website they have a new partnership with StubHub! - UNC ticket holders can "reach a broader audience than ever before" - including UNLV fans apparently.

weezie
11-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Roy's skin is so thin he can hear his organs working. Toughen up, Droopy.

I think you mean "Toughen up, Huckleberry." As in whiney old hound dog.

weezie
11-29-2011, 08:38 PM
if you go to the UNC Athletics website they have a new partnership with StubHub! - UNC ticket holders can "reach a broader audience than ever before"

As if you can find any broader behinds than the ones in the light blue seats already. They have some massive keisters over there!

OldPhiKap
11-29-2011, 08:47 PM

http://www.google.com/search?q=droopy+dog+cartoon&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7SNNT_enUS358US358&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=IYvVTqmJJcvdgQfi34iVAQ&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1140&bih=512

jjasper0729
11-29-2011, 08:56 PM

Couldn't it also be "lighten up, Francis"?

Newton_14
11-29-2011, 09:13 PM
I have said it before, but it bears repeating: Ol Roy, The Gift that Keeps on Giving (http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1133736.html)

This story is a recap of other comments he made on the radio show. A couple of my personal favorites from the link:

By not calling the timeout early in the second half, what kind of lessons did you want your players to learn? “I asked them in the locker room, ‘Why do you think I didn’t call a timeout?’ And Justin Watts said, ‘We need them at the end of a close game - we’ve all seen teams lose because they don’t have a timeout.’ And I said, ‘Yes, Coach Smith taught me that and I still believe it’s the best way.’ And I said, ‘Give me another reason.’ And ‘Z’ said, ‘We’ve got to be able to fight through that ourselves and be able to get what we do in practice every day so it’s learning.’ And I said, ‘Guys, I wasn’t coaching just to coach against UNLV. I was coaching this team for this year for this program.’ And then today Bobby [Frasor] brought something up. We played N.C. State here and they had it 12-0. I didn’t call a timeout and I said if they scored the first 50 I wasn’t going to call a timeout. I didn’t get us in this dadgum hole, you did. Get us out of it. "

Can you explain the help defense against UNLV?
I’ve said I think this team has a chance to be really good defensively. We’ve got to do a better job of guarding the ball in the middle of the court. We work on it every day. Every day, every night, every minute. I ask the guys, ‘What do we need to get better on?’ ‘Guarding the ball.’ So we work on it. And at the same time, we’re working on bluffing early sometime if you’re guarding a good shooter. If you’re not guarding a good shooter, get all of the way in. And Vegas exposed us a little bit. We weren’t satisfied [in the first five games], but everybody thought Ol’ Roy had those guys playing better on the 3-point line this year shooting 29 percent. And now Ol’ Roy doesn’t know what the dickens he’s doing.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2011, 09:17 PM
I have said it before, but it bears repeating: Ol Roy, The Gift that Keeps on Giving (http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1133736.html)

This story is a recap of other comments he made on the radio show. A couple of my personal favorites from the link:

What a maroon.

(Not to go all 60's cartoons on two different threads)

BD80
11-29-2011, 09:18 PM
... Roy really needs some better meds. Just sayin'.

It's tough enough to swallow the baby poo blue kool-aid, you want him to try to choke down some meds too?

Frankly, the blue-hairs that sold their tickets are probably made of sterner stuff than ol' roy or his players. I would like to see the confrontation ol' roy seeks.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2011, 09:20 PM
It's tough enough to swallow the baby poo blue kool-aid, you want him to try to choke down some meds too?

Frankly, the blue-hairs that sold their tickets are probably made of sterner stuff than ol' roy or his players. I would like to see the confrontation ol' roy seeks.

I am SURE that it would end with a kind elder matron exclaiming, "bless his little heart."

oldnavy
11-30-2011, 06:51 AM
Things you will not hear in K's press conference:

*I noticed this OSU fan sitting behind our bench tonight. That is not right! I am going to find the sucker that sold him the ticket and let him or her know that you are either for Coach K or you are against Coach K!

*I didn't call a timeout because I didn't get us into the mess.

*People have been saying that Ol Coach K is the best coach of all time, but now Ol Coach K doesn't know what he is doing....

*I have more desire in my big toe than all of the Duke fans together.

:p

OldPhiKap
11-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Things you will not hear in K's press conference:

*I noticed this OSU fan sitting behind our bench tonight. That is not right! I am going to find the sucker that sold him the ticket and let him or her know that you are either for Coach K or you are against Coach K!

*I didn't call a timeout because I didn't get us into the mess.

*People have been saying that Ol Coach K is the best coach of all time, but now Ol Coach K doesn't know what he is doing....

*I have more desire in my big toe than all of the Duke fans together.

:p

As we all would expect, K took the opposite approach and recognized the game for what it was -- we got beat by a very good team with a revved-up stadium:

On the big runs by Ohio State:
"We couldn't hit a shot. Their defense was outstanding and then they got hot. They can score from a number of different positions. They had a great crowd, they had a lot going for them and they took advantage of everything. Congratulations to them. We can be good too, we just weren't good tonight and they had a lot to do with that."

On Aaron Craft:
"He is a terrific competitor and a really good basketball player. Part of being a good point guard is having people that you can point guard for. He has the best player in the country and (William) Buford. He is really good but they (the team) are really good too. He busts his butt and he is a terrific player on a team that is very talented."

On Jared Sullinger:
"He is a man inside. He is always an option and you can always get the ball to him. You can run the offense through him or have him be the offense. That is a big thing for a team."

WiJoe
11-30-2011, 11:06 AM
What a maroon.

(Not to go all 60's cartoons on two different threads)

Not there's anything WRONG with '60s cartoons!

:cool:

And I love "droopy". Classic and LoL

I mean, seriously; think of the resemblance (I don't want to post a picture; people might be eating).

oldnavy
11-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Ok, he is into his second day moaning about oppossing fans. Now he has said that he would shot the fans in the rear end with a BB gun.... qoute is from ESPN article about Barnes' status for tonight if you want to read it...

He is losing it folks, seriously!

"It's something that's always bothered me," Williams said of home fans selling their tickets to opposing fans. "It will always bother me. A hundred years ago I'm watching in Lawrence, Kansas, and North Carolina's playing North Carolina State and there were 5 million red shirts in the crowd. And if I'd had a BB gun, 5 million red shirts would have had a burned rear end because I just don't like those kinds of things

Someone needs to give Roy a hug or a strong sedative....

Reilly
11-30-2011, 03:42 PM
... And if I'd had a BB gun, 5 million red shirts would have had a burned rear end ...

Corn pone much?

Indoor66
11-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Ok, he is into his second day moaning about oppossing fans. Now he has said that he would shot the fans in the rear end with a BB gun.... qoute is from ESPN article about Barnes' status for tonight if you want to read it...

He is losing it folks, seriously!

"It's something that's always bothered me," Williams said of home fans selling their tickets to opposing fans. "It will always bother me. A hundred years ago I'm watching in Lawrence, Kansas, and North Carolina's playing North Carolina State and there were 5 million red shirts in the crowd. And if I'd had a BB gun, 5 million red shirts would have had a burned rear end because I just don't like those kinds of things

Someone needs to give Roy a hug or a strong sedative....

Maybe he has run out of Preparation H.

BD80
11-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Maybe he has run out of Preparation H.

He prefers to be called "The Black Falcon."

oldnavy
11-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Is he mad at the UNC fans for selling the tickets? or for the oppossing fans for buying them? On the one hand he wants to shoot the rear ends of the NCSU fans, and then on the other hand he wants to buck up and confront the UNC fans that sell the tickets.

I wonder if he gets mad when he sees UNC fans at their away games??

I am really starting to think he is just not a happy person.

Over/under: Roy will be coaching UNC in 5 years?

I'm going under.... I think reality is going to set in that he will not be able to set any meaningful coaching records and will get tired of it all, plus I think it is clear that he would much rather be golfing....

hudlow
11-30-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm going under.... I think reality is going to set in that he will not be able to set any meaningful coaching records and will get tired of it all, plus I think it is clear that he would much rather be golfing....

Most likely the worst thing that could happen is that he would be an announcer for ESPN.

rsvman
11-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Corn pone much?
I know that people post "LOL" so much that the concept has pretty much completely lost its meaning, but I ACTUALLY laughed out loud at this post! Made my day. Thanks.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Some are misrepresenting the issue.

He's not mad at some random fan in the stands. It appears he's mad because a "Rams Club" fan, one who gets special access to tickets and seating and is expected to support the team and respect other Rams Club members, sold theirs to some expceptionally obnoxious rival fan/fans that sat right in the middle of other Rams Club members and showed their stuff.

"If you sell our tickets, your tickets that you get to the Rams Club to somebody else, and they come cheering for UNLV, I've got no use for you. And that's as blunt as I can put it. People have a right -- but not our people. You're either with me or you're not. There's no middle ground,"...RW

And...

..."I don't like our fans to help the other team by either giving or selling their tickets. That's disappointing. And to do it right beside our families, you know, that's the biggest thing. And then to have somebody that's just negative, negative, negative [within] five feet of an assistant coach's wife for two nights. You know you get tired of that. But it's something that's always bothered me. It will always bother me,"...RW

I don't blame him, and I'd call that RC member out too...and I'd suspect coach K would too if it was happening with the Iron Dukes

Different personalities, RW will take it public, where coach K would probably do it behind the scenes. But I'd bet coach K would have the same reaction.

oldnavy
11-30-2011, 05:42 PM

He's not mad at some random fan in the stands. It appears he's mad because a "Rams Club" fan, one who gets special access to tickets and seating and is expected to support the team and respect other Rams Club members, sold theirs to some expceptionally obnoxious rival fan/fans that sat right in the middle of other Rams Club members and showed their stuff.

"If you sell our tickets, your tickets that you get to the Rams Club to somebody else, and they come cheering for UNLV, I've got no use for you. And that's as blunt as I can put it. People have a right -- but not our people. You're either with me or you're not. There's no middle ground,"...RW

And...

..."I don't like our fans to help the other team by either giving or selling their tickets. That's disappointing. And to do it right beside our families, you know, that's the biggest thing. And then to have somebody that's just negative, negative, negative [within] five feet of an assistant coach's wife for two nights. You know you get tired of that. But it's something that's always bothered me. It will always bother me,"...RW

I don't blame him, and I'd call that RC member out too...and I'd suspect coach K would too if it was happening with the Iron Dukes

Different personalities, RW will take it public, where coach K would probably do it behind the scenes. But I'd bet coach K would have the same reaction.

Wheat, I understand why Roy is upset. In fact I really don't blame him for being upset.

What I do not understand is: A) why go public with this and; B) even more questionable is why take it as being an afront or personal insult against Roy?

I am sure Coach K or Mickie WOULD react negatively, in fact there are stories, but I hate to sound aloof, but either of them would do it with significantly more class.

Roy is talking about shooting fans in the butt with a BB gun??? OK, I get that he is trying to be funny, in his good ol boy (IMO phoney) way, but come on how old is he? At what point will he become an embarasement to the university? Or is that even possible with him?

Another thought, I also understand why Roy is upset with UNC fans in general. My wife gets mad every game she goes too in Chapel Hill. She complains that the fans don't cheer enough and that they leave too early. This has been an issue for a while at UNC, it is not a Roy issue, but he seems to think it is...

Wheat/"/"/"
11-30-2011, 05:49 PM
What I do not understand is: A) why go public with this and; B) even more questionable is why take it as being an afront or personal insult against Roy?

It's just who 'Ol Roy is. He "wears his heart on his sleeve" as they say, and puts his feelings out there.

Newton_14
11-30-2011, 05:54 PM
It's just who 'Ol Roy is. He "wears his heart on his sleeve" as they say, and puts his feelings out there.

Nah.. He is fooling us all. All of this is 100% an intentional act of "DEFLECTING". Guess what no one has talked about this week? The loss to Vegas. How bad the defense was, how bad player X played. The media and most everyone else is talking about BB guns, rowdy fans, and Rams Club members...

oldnavy
11-30-2011, 05:56 PM

That I cannot argue.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2011, 05:57 PM

But doesn't he preach to his kids about self-control in general, and in being careful what you say to the public? I mean, he took away all of their Twitter privileges at one point (not sure if that ban is still in place or not).

I get that he is mad. I do not understand why someone selling a ticket is a personal affront against him. "You're either with me or you're not?!?" But if he wants to attack the Rams Club I am fine with that.

After however many years he has been coaching, isn't this a bit juvenile? Just a smidge?

oldnavy
11-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Nah.. He is fooling us all. All of this is 100% an intentional act of "DEFLECTING". Guess what no one has talked about this week? The loss to Vegas. How bad the defense was, how bad player X played. The media and most everyone else is talking about BB guns, rowdy fans, and Rams Club members...

The only problem with that theory is that I think it gives Ol Roy way too much credit... :)

Wheat/"/"/"
11-30-2011, 06:57 PM
But doesn't he preach to his kids about self-control in general, and in being careful what you say to the public? I mean, he took away all of their Twitter privileges at one point (not sure if that ban is still in place or not).

I get that he is mad. I do not understand why someone selling a ticket is a personal affront against him. "You're either with me or you're not?!?" But if he wants to attack the Rams Club I am fine with that.

After however many years he has been coaching, isn't this a bit juvenile? Just a smidge?

It's like...whatever to me. I think you guys are making more out of it than anybody really cares, as good rivals do sometimes.

Roy is Roy and he has probably spoken to the Rams Club in, you could say, semi-private functions, feels a personal connection with them, and sees them as part of the program in some ways. When one lets him down like one did at UNLV, he gets upset and takes it personal.

Sure he preaches self-control, and I'm sure Roy also preaches something like stand up for what you believe in, too.

It's all about an individuals perception, I guess.

Note: I've never seen that he took away any Twitter priviledes, I follow several players.

Duvall
11-30-2011, 07:01 PM

Which is fine - no one would still be talking about the UNLV loss for much longer regardless - but it's still frustrating to see Roy skate time and time again for comments that would be reputation killers for coaches at schools without large journalism departments.

Newton_14
11-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Which is fine - no one would still be talking about the UNLV loss for much longer regardless - but it's still frustrating to see Roy skate time and time again for comments that would be reputation killers for coaches at schools without large journalism departments.

Oh, I agree. I said that in half jest, as I don't know what to believe regarding his never ending antics. I do have to wonder if it is all an act to deflect attention away from the players and onto himself. On the other hand, it seems to be who he really is, so maybe it isn't an act. Which is even scarier.

I do agree with you 100% that the media gives hm a pass that would not be afforded to other coaches..

devildeac
11-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Even that old codger Tudor gets in his licks:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/11/30/1679699/roy-youll-shoot-your-toes-off.html

Couple excerpts:

"But in making any sort of a gun reference, Roy took dead aim at his right foot.

It was vintage shoot-first, think-later Williams. He's been at odds with North Carolina fans before and virtually turned a Presbyterian College fan into a regional celebrity in 2009.

Once basketball season starts, Roy's nerve endings get shorter than a Ty Zeller buzz cut and he wears his tongue on his sleeve - both of which create a ton of news interest and column fodder."

"But when you keep snapping at the hands that feed you - North Carolina fans - you can only shoot your toes off.

It's only Nov. 29. Try the decaf, Roy."

;)

OldPhiKap
11-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Even that old codger Tudor gets in his licks:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/11/30/1679699/roy-youll-shoot-your-toes-off.html

Couple excerpts:

"But in making any sort of a gun reference, Roy took dead aim at his right foot.

It was vintage shoot-first, think-later Williams. He's been at odds with North Carolina fans before and virtually turned a Presbyterian College fan into a regional celebrity in 2009.

Once basketball season starts, Roy's nerve endings get shorter than a Ty Zeller buzz cut and he wears his tongue on his sleeve - both of which create a ton of news interest and column fodder."

"But when you keep snapping at the hands that feed you - North Carolina fans - you can only shoot your toes off.

It's only Nov. 29. Try the decaf, Roy."

;)

He must be a Duke fan just picking nits.

Somehow, Luke DeCock will find that this was a justified response to something Coach K said.

devildeac
11-30-2011, 09:44 PM
He must be a Duke fan just picking nits.

Somehow, Luke DeCock will find that this was a justified response to something Coach K said.

Tudor? A Duke fan? You ain't from around these here parts, are you, sonny:rolleyes:?

I read some of the responses he sent to -bdbd. Shuckin' and jivin'. Bobbin' and weavin'. May he be cast down with the fire and brimstone. Helmet first. What a wanker.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Tudor? A Duke fan? You ain't from around these here parts, are you, sonny:rolleyes:?

I read some of the responses he sent to -bdbd. Shuckin' and jivin'. Bobbin' and weavin'. May he be cast down with the fire and brimstone. Helmet first. What a wanker.

dd: it was a response to Wheat, who told me that my comments on Roy's presser was just a bunch of Duke fans blowing this out of whack. See post #40, supra.

I am familiar with Caulton. He is the Teddy Valentine of the press corps, without the dance moves.

devildeac
11-30-2011, 09:53 PM
dd: it was a response to Wheat, who told me that my comments on Roy's presser was just a bunch of Duke fans blowing this out of whack. See post #40, supra.

I am familiar with Caulton. He is the Teddy Valentine of the press corps, without the dance moves.

Dang, you quoted me, that's what threw me off:o. Roywhite sure thought he had some sort of moves as he appeared to celebrate (one of the) dubious calls against Duke last PM:mad:.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Dang, you quoted me, that's what threw me off:o. Roywhite sure thought he had some sort of moves as he appeared to celebrate (one of the) dubious calls against Duke last PM:mad:.

Good news, bad news. The good news is that I quote you often. The bad news is that, as here, I end up having to explain what I mean.

I must be screwing it up in the translation. . . .;)

oldnavy
12-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Oh, I agree. I said that in half jest, as I don't know what to believe regarding his never ending antics. I do have to wonder if it is all an act to deflect attention away from the players and onto himself. On the other hand, it seems to be who he really is, so maybe it isn't an act. Which is even scarier.

I do agree with you 100% that the media gives hm a pass that would not be afforded to other coaches..

I don't think it is something he thinks through as part of a PR stratagey. This time he is harping on the fans, next week he will be throwing Dexter Strickland under the bus for something... so I don't see it as a way for him to protect anybody but himself.

I think he has extremely thin skin combined with a inward focus and no filter between his thoughts and his lips. The prime example of NOT thinking things out was the Haiti comments made to his massage therapist during the 2010 season.

What I find almost funny about the whole thing is how much junk I used to get from UNC fans because coach K curses. It was always brought up that Dean would never use foul language. Dean had way more class than K. Now that UNC has a cursing, babbling, shoot first - never think coach, the tone has changed to, "oh that's just Roy, you have to take the good with the bad"... laughable double standard.

BluDvlsN1
12-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Dontchajustloveit !!!

He loses to UNLV!
Rather than absolute focus on coaching his admittedly, very talented team.... He looks for excuses
And scapegoats! Then takes it out on their fans , who were well represented in the Orleans Arena!!

He is wrong at the top of his voice!
Then perpetuates it further!

Personally, I'm cracking up...let him get distracted, let him focus on the lose/lose situations,let him
Detract from what should be a singular objective!

Lets just sit back and watch the action, see how he can make what should be a relatively easy basketball fix,
Turn into a fiasco...so far....Christmas arrived early!!

It's amazing to me...

Lid
12-01-2011, 10:53 AM

Although I think Ol' Roy is laughably thin-skinned, I can sympathize with that part of his rant. (BTW, did anyone else think it was wild at OSU to see students directly behind the Duke coaches, where the managers would normally be? Can you imagine how Roy would have reacted to THAT?) What is bizarre was his quote about the 2002 Carolina-State game:

A hundred years ago I’m watching in Lawrence, Kansas, and North Carolina’s playing North Carolina State and there were five million red shirts in the crowd. And if I’d had a BB gun, five million red shirts would have had a burned rear end. Because I just don’t like those kinds of things.

I mean, really. He's not talking about seats behind the bench here. (Unless they've somehow bent time and space to REALLY adjust seating in the Dean Dome.) He's talking about how the mere presence of opposing fans burns him up.

I do look forward to his directions to Carolina fans to stay out of Cameron and Wally Wade, though. That would improve the atmosphere markedly.

Newton_14
12-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Although I think Ol' Roy is laughably thin-skinned, I can sympathize with that part of his rant. (BTW, did anyone else think it was wild at OSU to see students directly behind the Duke coaches, where the managers would normally be? Can you imagine how Roy would have reacted to THAT?) What is bizarre was his quote about the 2002 Carolina-State game:

I mean, really. He's not talking about seats behind the bench here. (Unless they've somehow bent time and space to REALLY adjust seating in the Dean Dome.) He's talking about how the mere presence of opposing fans burns him up.

I do look forward to his directions to Carolina fans to stay out of Cameron and Wally Wade, though. That would improve the atmosphere markedly.

It's even worse then you imagine. True story here. My best friend (huge Duke fan) has a 20-something son(huge Duke fan, lets call him "Jake") who was dating a nice young lady from UNC 2 years ago. The young lady was the daughter of a Rams Club member who has 4 seats in the dome. They invited Jake to an early season non-conference game at the dome. When Jake showed up at the house to ride with the young lady and her folks to the game, he had on a pair of jeans and a Duke Basketball shirt. The dad met him at the door and immediately asked him if he had a different shirt in the car. He didn't and there wasn't enough time to go back home and change. The dad said, "You either have to wear one of my shirts or you can't go". Jake was like, "You are kidding, right". The dad said no, I am not kidding. If I take you in there wearing that shirt, I will get reported and could lose my seats. Begrudgingly, Jake put on one of the dad's dress shirts over his Duke shirt. The kid was a better man that night than I would have been.

If you go over there and act respectable, why does it matter if you wear another team's gear. I mean, it wasn't like they were playing Duke that night. That is sad in my opinion. I don't care what opposing fans wear in Cameron, as long as they act respectable and I absolutely expect them to cheer hard for THEIR team!

So, it ain't just Ol Roy when it comes to opposing fans in their precious Dean Dome.

Wheat/"/"/"
12-01-2011, 08:40 PM
It's even worse then you imagine. True story here. My best friend (huge Duke fan) has a 20-something son(huge Duke fan, lets call him "Jake") who was dating a nice young lady from UNC 2 years ago. The young lady was the daughter of a Rams Club member who has 4 seats in the dome. They invited Jake to an early season non-conference game at the dome. When Jake showed up at the house to ride with the young lady and her folks to the game, he had on a pair of jeans and a Duke Basketball shirt. The dad met him at the door and immediately asked him if he had a different shirt in the car. He didn't and there wasn't enough time to go back home and change. The dad said, "You either have to wear one of my shirts or you can't go". Jake was like, "You are kidding, right". The dad said no, I am not kidding. If I take you in there wearing that shirt, I will get reported and could lose my seats. Begrudgingly, Jake put on one of the dad's dress shirts over his Duke shirt. The kid was a better man that night than I would have been.

If you go over there and act respectable, why does it matter if you wear another team's gear. I mean, it wasn't like they were playing Duke that night. That is sad in my opinion. I don't care what opposing fans wear in Cameron, as long as they act respectable and I absolutely expect them to cheer hard for THEIR team!

So, it ain't just Ol Roy when it comes to opposing fans in their precious Dean Dome.

I take that story as a kid that showed a lack of judgement and respect for the parents invitation and the situation to even consider wearing an opposing teams shirt, much less a Duke shirt, when invited to sit in the Rams Club seats.

Key to the story..."was dating..." LOL

Newton_14
12-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I take that story as a kid that showed a lack of judgement and respect for the parents invitation and the situation to even consider wearing an opposing teams shirt, much less a Duke shirt, when invited to sit in the Rams Club seats.

Exactly. He dumped her shortly thereafter! :)

I promise if you ever join me for a game in Cameron, you are more than welcome to wear your UNC gear. I won't get kicked out of the Iron Dukes, and K won't have you thrown out of the building. :cool:

Wheat/"/"/"
12-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Exactly. He dumped her shortly thereafter! :)

I promise if you ever join me for a game in Cameron, you are more than welcome to wear your UNC gear. I won't get kicked out of the Iron Dukes, and K won't have you thrown out of the building. :cool:

You're on one of these days...we'll have a large time!!

Ps: I'll even root for Duke...as longs its not a UNC game:)

Newton_14
12-01-2011, 09:09 PM
You're on one of these days...we'll have a large time!!

Sounds good and I am 100% serious.

We might turn you to our side though. The place is magical.:cool:

devildeac
12-01-2011, 10:51 PM

That's like a story from one of K's early books. (I'm getting old so I don't remember which one, but trust my recollection at least:o.) One of his daughters was dating a unc fan and they "consented" to taking him to an ACCT game with the family on the agreement he did not cheer for unc and it was unc that Duke played that night, probably for the ACC championship. Duke lost convincingly and near the end of the game, he stood and cheered loudly for unc as they punctuated their win with a dunk and Lindy (or was it Debby?) smacked the guy and both Mickie and K noticed. Note the key phrase again "was dating" as that apparently was the last time she saw that dude.

DukieInKansas
12-02-2011, 09:29 AM

I don't think it is disrespectful. I wore my Duke shirt quite proudly sitting among the KU athletic department behind the visitor's bench when Duke played in Allen Fieldhouse in the late 80's. I showed my respect for the employee letting me use her ticket by not being overly loud, rude, standing continuously, etc.

I did receive lots of dirty looks when Duke beat them. I did cheer a bit louder at that point.

FYI - I also wore my Duke shirt, although under an open long sleeved shirt, as I attended a KU pep rally prior to the game in the West Regional final. (I even proudly showed it to Roy and the AD.) What was disrespectful that day was the behaviour of some of the KU fans on the bus to the Duck Pond. They were extremely rude to the driver and it was extremely embarrassing.

A-Tex Devil
12-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Found it funny that Rasheed Wallace, who is a pretty conspicuous dude, was decked out in all red behind the UNC bench at the Wisconsin game. Completely oblivious or getting a dig in at Roy?

OldPhiKap
12-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Found it funny that Rasheed Wallace, who is a pretty conspicuous dude, was decked out in all red behind the UNC bench at the Wisconsin game. Completely oblivious or getting a dig in at Roy?

The bigger question -- did he get called for a technical?

devildeac
12-02-2011, 10:57 AM
The bigger question -- did he get called for a technical?

No, but karl hess did T up Daniel Ewing.

OldPhiKap
12-02-2011, 11:08 AM
No, but karl hess did T up Daniel Ewing.

Somewhere, Darius Songaila just shed a tear.

davekay1971
12-02-2011, 11:34 AM

Wheat, I love and respect your posts for the most part, but that's absolute crap.

When NC State played Davidson in Charlotte a couple years back, my colleague, who is on the board at Davidson, got wind that my wife and I were going to buy tickets so we could go to the game to support the Pack. He promptly told me to not buy tickets. He made a phone call, and invited Staci and I to join he and his family sitting with the Davidson blue bloods. And yes, by all means, we should certainly wear our NC State gear (as he joked, at least we'll be wearing the right colors). Staci and I showed up in our State gear, sat between my colleague and Davidson's president, with the Dean of Admissions of the University behind us, midcourt, 3rd row, and we cheered on State all game long. Of course we did it positively and respectfully, and we had a great time talking back and forth with the Davidson blue bloods, and applauded Steph Curry's amazing shooting that ended up beating State. The Davidson folks were nothing but class and graciousness and they had as much fun with us NC State guerrillas in their midst as we had being there.

Too bad the UNC types apparently don't feel the need to be the kind of gracious hosts the Davidson folks were that night.

This is sports, not war. We can be welcoming to folks in our own arena, even in our own VIP section, supporting the opposing team.

PS: I vividly remember the night in 2002 that Roy Williams was talking about. NC State still had Sendek and was pretty good, and UNC, of course, was in the Matty Doh debacle year, and the State fans absolutely took over the Dean Dome. I'm sure it burned Roy's biscuits to see that, but IMHO he should have reserved his bb's for the UNC fans that allowed a rival to turn the Dean Dome in to the V Dome that night! I guess Roy thinks opposing fans should have the class and decency to not support their team on the road...

moonpie23
12-02-2011, 11:44 AM
well, yeah, we'd LIKE to think it's just about sports.......but this is about a guy who didn't respect the girl he was trying to date OR her family. If he was trying to make an impression, i'd say he did......a negative one...

if i'm TYRING to impress this girl and her family, i'm wearing something else and keeping my mouth shut ...

davekay1971
12-02-2011, 11:49 AM
well, yeah, we'd LIKE to think it's just about sports.......but this is about a guy who didn't respect the girl he was trying to date OR her family. If he was trying to make an impression, i'd say he did......a negative one...

if i'm TYRING to impress this girl and her family, i'm wearing something else and keeping my mouth shut ...

Nah...if one of my daughters brings home a guy who's a big Carolina fan, I'd want him to openly support his team, but have the sense to do it respectfully in my house (ie: be pro-UNC all you like, but don't bash Duke or State).

Of course, if he's not looking me in the eye, shaking my hand, and calling me "sir", he's not getting across my doorstep no matter what team's shirt he's wearing.

As the father in Clueless said (best line in a mediocre movie): "I have a gun and a shovel...I doubt anyone would notice."

Lid
12-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Nah...if one of my daughters brings home a guy who's a big Carolina fan, I'd want him to openly support his team, but have the sense to do it respectfully in my house (ie: be pro-UNC all you like, but don't bash Duke or State).

I couldn't agree more, and this is what seems to be missing so often. LOVE both of your posts in this thread. Whatever happened to being gracious hosts and gracious visitors? Whatever happened to cheering your own team on, as opposed to putting the other one down?

As the father in Clueless said (best line in a mediocre movie): "I have a gun and a shovel...I doubt anyone would notice."
Wait, WHAT? You lost me here. Clueless is mediocre??? Take back those pitchforks!

feldspar
12-02-2011, 12:00 PM

I think if you're a parent and you're legitimately judging your daughter's suitor by what team is on his shirt, you need to learn how to find bigger fish to fry.

oldnavy
12-02-2011, 01:36 PM
I wonder how Roy squares him wearing the big JayHawk sticker on his shirt the night after his team got waxed by them?

If you are going to expect respect and support from your fans, should you don the attire of a team that has just embarassed you? I mean respect between the fans and coach should go both ways right?

-jk
12-02-2011, 02:10 PM
I don't think it is disrespectful. I wore my Duke shirt quite proudly sitting among the KU athletic department behind the visitor's bench when Duke played in Allen Fieldhouse in the late 80's. I showed my respect for the employee letting me use her ticket by not being overly loud, rude, standing continuously, etc.

I did receive lots of dirty looks when Duke beat them. I did cheer a bit louder at that point.

FYI - I also wore my Duke shirt, although under an open long sleeved shirt, as I attended a KU pep rally prior to the game in the West Regional final. (I even proudly showed it to Roy and the AD.) What was disrespectful that day was the behaviour of some of the KU fans on the bus to the Duck Pond. They were extremely rude to the driver and it was extremely embarrassing.

That was a fun game - Crazy Towel Guy came this close to being arrested into protective custody! (And in a standard practice well before its time, there were cameramen in the stands filming the fans to use as evidence "just in case".)

-jk

throatybeard
12-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Roy is Roy

Certainly, Roy is Roy. He's on TV more than Huckleberry Hound, reruns.

alteran
12-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Certainly, Roy is Roy. He's on TV more than Huckleberry Hound, reruns.

There's a difference between the two?

OldPhiKap
12-03-2011, 10:56 AM

I've never heard Huckleberry Hound dis his own fans.

DukieInBrasil
12-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Well, Roy is getting it back in kind from the UNC faithful now. My brother is a UNC grad, and some of my friends on FB are fans as well. They have all said, quote, "Roy is a terrible coach" or "we lost b/c of terrible coaching". Perhaps fans would be less inspired to give/sell their tickets behind the bench if the man coaching from there were better at it?

oldnavy
12-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Well, Roy is getting it back in kind from the UNC faithful now. My brother is a UNC grad, and some of my friends on FB are fans as well. They have all said, quote, "Roy is a terrible coach" or "we lost b/c of terrible coaching". Perhaps fans would be less inspired to give/sell their tickets behind the bench if the man coaching from there were better at it?

Well you do have to wonder why there was no time out when UNC got the ball down one at the end of the game.

Do you ever get the sense that when the game is being played Roy becomes a fan? That he is watching and cheering more than he is managing the game?

Can someone give me an example of when Roy made an in-game move or began a game with a specific game plan (other than run more shoot more) that benefitted his team?

Over on GoHeels, Adam Lucas has an article about the game, and he even asks the question about the time out. Roy is quoted as saying they were yelling foul at the end, but isn't that why you should have called a timeout before, so that you can go over what to in case UK gets the ball with time left on the clock?

Really? Yelling from the bench to foul in that crazy LOUD environment was you plan?

I am not being rhetorical, I am serious. The more I watch UNC, the less I am impressed with Roy's ability to coach. Recruiting is another whole story.

Mike Corey
12-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Roy Williams is a gifted recruiter and a modest coach with much to be modest about.

oldnavy
12-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Roy Williams is a gifted recruiter and a modest coach with much to be modest about.

Mike, please tell me that you are not claiming that Ol Roy is modest!! I hope you are assessing his coaching ability, not his persona.

Mike Corey
12-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Mike, please tell me that you are not claiming that Ol Roy is modest!! I hope you are assessing his coaching ability, not his persona.

Your hope is correct.

Roy-speak, and the barbs he's launched at his own fan base, are all indicative of a low self-esteem. It's mere displacement. It's easier for him to talk about a deficient fan rather than his deficient coaching. And his obsession with Coach K is nauseating. When Nike celebrated Duke's 2010 national championship the way it did--"Order Has Been Restored"--Roy-Will went into a tizzy.

(I also confess to having stolen the line from Winston Churchill, whose wit was as expansive as his waistline.)

This is all moot, of course. Roy's teams are capable of winning in spite of him.

mapei
12-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Personally, I hate it when season ticket holders sell their tickets to opposing fans, directly or indirectly. So I understand where Roy was coming from.

And I was once chastised on this board for even *buying* tickets to a game at Cameron on StubHub, because I was indirectly supporting a system that allowed more opposing fans in the arena. Heck, I just wanted to go to a game at Cameron, which is still a thrill for me. People should be glad the tickets went to me rather than someone else.

Azdukefan
12-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Personally, I hate it when season ticket holders sell their tickets to opposing fans, directly or indirectly. So I understand where Roy was coming from.

And I was once chastised on this board for even *buying* tickets to a game at Cameron on StubHub, because I was indirectly supporting a system that allowed more opposing fans in the arena. Heck, I just wanted to go to a game at Cameron, which is still a thrill for me. People should be glad the tickets went to me rather than someone else.

I got pretty much the same response when I bought tickets to 82-50. The people I sat next to told me I shouldn't have supported buying them on StubHub. Not sure where else a Duke from AZ could get tickets. I would have willing bought them at face value from a member on this site but had 0 responses.

uh_no
12-04-2011, 11:58 AM
I got pretty much the same response when I bought tickets to 82-50. The people I sat next to told me I shouldn't have supported buying them on StubHub. Not sure where else a Duke from AZ could get tickets. I would have willing bought them at face value from a member on this site but had 0 responses.

That's just stupid.

Tickets are going to end up on stub hub whether duke fans buy them or not....so duke fans might as well buy them.

oldnavy
12-04-2011, 01:56 PM
That's just stupid.

Tickets are going to end up on stub hub whether duke fans buy them or not....so duke fans might as well buy them.

The Iron Duke's send out emails to members when tickets are available. I am assuming that these are Iron Duke tickets that are not going to be used. I would be surpised if the Ram's Club didn't have a similar ticket system.

I get Ol Roy's displeasure with having Ram's club tickets sold to oppossing fans, but it is his over the top indignation that it is somehow an insult to him personally that I cannot stomach.

Roy spends two days whining about oppossing fans in his stadium and calling out his own fan base for not supporting the team. Then in the game of the year thus far, he has his thumb up his you know what when his team gets the ball down one with what? 15 seconds to go and DOES NOTHING. NOTHING,!!!!! no timeout (had 3), NOTHING to guide his team... I find it hilarious that he is so quick to call out his fans, players, etc... then he goes into BRAIN FREEZE at crunch time. Last week it was that he wante the team to figure it out on their own... Can't wait to see what his rant will be this week.... "I was yelling at them to foul, and they didn't. All I can do is tell them what to do, and if they don't do it, it isn't Ol Roy's fault"

uh_no
12-04-2011, 02:05 PM
The Iron Duke's send out emails to members when tickets are available. I am assuming that these are Iron Duke tickets that are not going to be used. I would be surpised if the Ram's Club didn't have a similar ticket system.

I get Ol Roy's displeasure with having Ram's club tickets sold to oppossing fans, but it is his over the top indignation that it is somehow an insult to him personally that I cannot stomach.

I understand. I think its silly to harp on the person who BUYS the tickets on stub hub when the real issue is the person who puts them there. Any given individual not buying those tickets will not cause them to not be bought or more importantly, to not be put there in the first place.

Yeah I agree. That's something that doesn't need to be out in the open. If its bothering you, send out an email to rams club people who had tickets saying its unacceptable or something. But to make jokes about hunting them down and shooting them (or whatever he said) is very poor form.

WiJoe
12-04-2011, 04:21 PM

Clearly, there is NOT.

Huckleberry Hound:

roy:

Personally, I prefer this: